FIFA U-17 New-Zealand 2008

turbo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by turbo

....link to all the US college committment class of 2009:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=poknaL_RaORDOMcyz_riBDA&gid=1

Oui je lis dans le document que c'est un repêchage pour 2009 mais pour le présent toutes les joueuses originaires du Québec sélectionnées dans l'équipe canadienne U-17 sont du programme sport-études.

Merci Turbo pour ce document. Cela me démontre que plusieurs de nos meilleures joueuses vont par la suite étudier aux USA dans des Universités américaines. Quelques unes restent au Québec et poursuivent leurs études tout en jouant dans la ligue universitaire du Québec. D'autres comme Francine Brosseau partent étudier en France où elles peuvent jouer dans la premiere ou dans la deuxieme division de clubs de soccer féminin.

Moi personnellement , je préfère la deuxieme option soit poursuivre mes études au Québec et jouer dans une équipe féminine universitaire. C'est un choix personnel.

This sports-etudes programme being referred to in quebec basically supports Quebec's National Training Center (CNHP) programme which has the girls practicing in the afternoon Mon-Fri. All the U17 WNT girls from Quebec are in fact part of the Quebec NTC.

I also thought that Rachel Lamarre was starting University in the states this Autumn.

I believe like so many National team players this year, she had to delay or redshirt her start in college because of the world cup.

I have read in a forum on bigsoccer.com that Lexi Marton of the U20s did it and other U.S players in U-17s and U-20s.

The four Euro teams are in continental qualifiers all week, which wrap up Sunday, 10 days before the tournament. They would be ranked:

#1 GERMANY

- previous round: three straight wins and 30 unanswered goals in this years qualifying round 1 (Serbia-11, Bulgaria-11, Finland-8)

- "Germany is justifiably regarded as setting gold standards for the global women's game in terms of youth development, a reputation the Europeans will be keen to underscore this autumn."

- 'The current U-17 crop undoubtedly rates as one of the strongest ever to emerge at this level from organised women's football in Germany. Many experts see powerful parallels with the 1988 generation..."

- "Although she is a full year younger than most of the squad, Ivana Rudelic of TSV Tettnang rates as a prodigious talent who is on the verge of a major breakthrough."

#2 FRANCE

- beat out Italy (5-0) and Iceland in their group

- six victories from six games, scoring 36 times without conceding a single goal in reply in this years qualifying round 1

- 4-0 win over Denmark

- "Their main goal threat is young gun Pauline Crammer, who leads the line for FCF Henin-Beaumont. It was her decisive strike against Scotland that sent France through and the promising front runner will no doubt be closely marked by opposition defences at New Zealand 2008."

- "Unlike many of his colleagues, Gerard Sergent has no experience as a professional footballer to decorate his CV. Even so, the French trainer, who hails from the northern town of Boulogne-sur-Mer, knows the coaching side of the game inside-out. After graduating with a degree in psychology, he earned a series of national sports qualifications, including state certificates in Sports Instruction, Sports Education, and Football Coaching."

#3 DENMARK

- tie v. Finland 0-0 to beat them out on goal difference

- lost 1-0 to Germany in previous UEFA semi-final

- "Our team reflects my opinion on the way football should be played, but in Denmark we are trying to always implement the same philosophy across all our national teams and we try to play the same way," Bent Eriksen, Denmark coach.

#4 ENGLAND

- lost to France 1-3 and Denmark 1-4 in qualifiers in the last UEFA

- "Everton's academy provides England's U-17 squad with several star names, among them Jess Holbrook and Toni Duggan, a striker who has already made inroads into the Toffees' first team as well as the national U-19 and U-20 sides."

- "More meaningful solace for England came in the contribution of 15-year-old Danielle Carter, an emerging star who not only assumed the captaincy, but also re-affirmed her goalscoring prowess with goals against the Greeks and Estonians."

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=916673.html

Vic,

Correct me if I am wrong but they have this every year (Euro youth championships)? And so, the youth teams of 30+ countries are active and travelling around Europe gaining international experience. This includes small European countries like Serbia, Macedonia, Poland etc.

Pretty sad for countries like Canada that these Euro youth teams manage to get such a head start on international competition.

We need more $$$ to get our youth programmes more active...

The UEFA U19s have been running annually for 10 years, and the U17s are in their second year of existence, annually as well. In CONCACAF we go every two years because of the associations involved, cost of travel, etc. There bigger developmental problem with the games is the skew in competition in CONCACAF as opposed to UEFA. There are only 2 or 3 quality sides in the region.

They're coming collecting for more funds for youth programs, but I have my doubts how much will make it there, and what they're asking for isn't even enough anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

CBC TV or CBCsports online?

As of right now, the CBC plans to show Canada's games only online at cbcsports.ca (first game on Tuesday evening)

I assume that if the team makes a deep run in this tournament, you might see knockout round games moved to Bold or even the full network.

quote:Originally posted by turbo

I believe like so many National team players this year, she had to delay or redshirt her start in college because of the world cup.

I have read in a forum on bigsoccer.com that Lexi Marton of the U20s did it and other U.S players in U-17s and U-20s.

Bonjour Turbo

Apres m'être informée au College et au programme Sports-Études, je confirme. C'est exact pour Rachel Lamarre et pour Annick Maltais. L'an prochain, elles iront toutes les deux jouer dans des universités américaines.

Reportage sur Annick Maltais

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/mauricie/Tele/plandematchmauricie.shtml

Cliquez sur ''Vendredi 17 octobre'' dans la section de droite ''réécoutez nos émissions''

ATTENTION: amener le curseur à 2:35 minute ...pour éviter les 2 premières minutes sur un reportage d'une bagarre au baseball...

Le reportage dure 7 minutes (merci à JFR42)

______

également

Annick Maltais avec l'équipe nationale de soccer

La Trifluvienne participera à la Coupe du Monde U-17 en Nouvelle-Zélande http://www.lhebdojournal.com/article-258428-Annick-Maltais-avec-lequipe-nationale-de-soccer.html

Maltais s'est taillée une place sur l'équipe canadienne

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/sports/200810/10/01-28204-maltais-sest-taillee-une-place-sur-lequipe-canadienne.php

Rachel Lamarre à la Coupe du monde de soccer

http://www.courrierlaval.com/article-261527-Rachel-Lamarre-a-la-Coupe-du-monde-de-soccer.html

Segments of the prep news coming out for Tuesday's opener:

Colombia feeling just champion

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=924934.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

[Colombia, New Zealand, and Denmark are in Canada's group]

"Our objective is to win the world title... Colombia tactician Pedro Ignacio Rodriguez is demanding the rest of the world sit up and take notice of his protégés.

"If you're going to take part in a World Cup, you've got to try and win it," he says. "Otherwise, it's not worth coming."

Adding to the motivation of the young Colombians is the fact that they are the first team in the country's history to qualify for a FIFA Women's World Cup at any age group... This is nothing short of a revolution for our nation."

"We are the odd team out in the group," comments Rodriguez. "The three other sides are big and physical, while my players are small and technical. Even so, what we lack in stature we can make up for with our individual and team skills, and rather than trying to iron out our weaknesses, we'll be looking to make even more of our strengths."

The South American champions will be without some of their leading players in New Zealand, among them the highly promising Laura Cosme, struck down with a serious cruciate ligament injury. "It's true that we've lost one of our best players, but since we won the continental title we've become mentally stronger. In this age category, every team plays with more or less the same tactics and it's the mental aspect that makes the difference. And that's an area where we're very strong."

The rest of the world will have an opportunity to see how just how strong when Rodriguez's charges take on the Danes in their first match on Wednesday. "They're a powerful team and in excellent shape," he says. "I'd say they're the strongest team in Europe behind Germany."

Kiwis face Canadian challenge

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=926154.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

History will be made in Auckland's North Harbour Stadium tomorrow when hosts New Zealand and Canada contest the first-ever match in the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup‘s short history.

The meeting between the Young Football Ferns and the Canucks should certainly provide a fitting curtain-raiser for FIFA's newest tournament, with both coaches vowing to go on the attack in search of maximum points. Canada's Bryan Rosenfeld says that his team have arrived in the South Pacific with dreams of "going the distance", while Paul Temple, the man at New Zealand's helm, has admitted that this opening match will likely "set the tone" for his side's bid to make history.

The hosts, meanwhile, go into the match nursing "one or two knocks", according to their coach, with the most significant worry over the fitness of No1 goalkeeper Charlotte Wood. Nevertheless, Temple insists the Kiwis are "the best they've ever been", and with fit-again striker Rosie White in sparkling form, they are hopeful of kicking their campaign off a morale-boosting win.

Three appearances at the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Russia 2006 and one at last year's senior showpiece in China make the hosts' Annalie Longo the most experienced player on show at New Zealand 2008. The midfielder is, in fact, the only participant with any FIFA World Cup experience, and she will add another tournament to her impressive record when she travels to the U-20 finals in Chile next month.

U.S. Under-17 WNT Arrive in New Zealand for World Cup

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10682368.html

Last January at the Future Stars Tournament, the USA defeated Australia (6-0), New Zealand (5-0) and Germany (3-2) to win the tournament and kick-start a year in which the team has compiled a 16-1-1 overall record. The Mewis sisters – Kristie and Samantha – led the team in that tournament, combining to score seven of the USA’s 14 goals.

Postcard from New Zealand: Mandy Laddish

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10682369.html

All four teams in our group are staying at our hotel, and we certainly run into them all the time in the hallways, lobbies and elevators. We’ve been trying to be nice and talk to them, but no one really speaks any Japanese, French or Spanish, so communicating has been tough.

Today, I was in the lounge they have set up for all the teams and I guess I was standing in front of the TV. There was a soccer game on and the French girls were yelling at me, but I had no idea what they were saying so I didn’t move. Samantha Mewis, who speaks a little French said, “Hey, they want you to move. You’re blocking the TV.” So I did. I think we are friends again with the French.

We’ve had some good practices so far and everyone is starting to get the bad jet lag out of their legs. And yes mom, I am drinking enough water and doing my homework.

I hope you're right :)

History in the making Down Under

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=926566.html

The decision to take the final step in establishing parity between FIFA's men's and women's youth competitions has certainly been met by near-universal acclaim, with Canada's U-17 coach Bryan Rosenfeld among those paying tribute. "You only need to look at the players who've emerged from the U-17 men's competition to see the kind of impact it will have on women's football," he told FIFA.com. "It's a massive leap forward in terms of us developing an even better standard of female players."

No matter who emerges with the trophy, this landmark tournament is assured of making history. A perfect example comes in the shape of Ghana's Ellen Coleman, who at just 12 years and 11 months old, is in line to become the youngest-ever player - male or female - to appear in a competitive FIFA match.

Young Ferns aim to surprise big names

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4740847a18075.html

No New Zealand team, of either gender or any age group, have made it past the pool stages in five previous World Cup tournaments dating back to the All Whites' campaign in Spain in 1982.

Midfielder Annalie Longo accepts that the Young Football Ferns will be have their work cut out to break that drought and be one of the two sides to qualify from their section. However, Longo, a "veteran" of two previous World Cups, at senior and under-20 level, said that didn't dampen the belief within the squad that they could make the quarterfinals.

"All the pressure will be on Canada, being a top-10 country," she said.

Longo, 17, is the most experienced member of the New Zealand squad. At 15, the Aucklander became the youngest player to represent her country in a full international and the following year went to the senior World Cup. With fine technique and composure, the diminutive playmaker will be one of the New Zealand players to watch for.

Others likely to stand out include Hastings right-back Caitlin Campbell, whose delivery at set pieces could be key, 15-year-old Auckland attacking midfielder Rosie White, and Lower Hutt winger Hannah Wall, who has pace and a strong left-foot shot.

For Longo, the tournament offers the uncommon opportunity to test herself against players of a similar age and she was relishing the prospect.

"It's quite nice to play against players your own age," she said. "I haven't been in my own environment for a while, so I can't wait."

Players to watch at U-17 World Cup

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4738804a18075.html

With the first Fifa under-17 women's World Cup just three days away, Fred Woodcock picks out one player to watch from the New Zealand team and each of the four teams based in Wellington.

BRAZIL - Striker Beatriz Zaneratto Jao is only 14 but she was the talk of South American qualifying and forms a dangerous attacking combination with Franciele and Raquel, the trio having netted 14 of Brazil's 20 goals in qualification.

ENGLAND - Striker Dan Carter doesn't just share her name with an All Black, she proved herself during European qualifying with some clinical strikes at crucial times for the Lionesses, despite being one of the youngest players in the squad at age 15.

NIGERIA - Ebere Orji may have been overshadowed by forward partner Amarachi Okoronkwo, to some extent, during African qualifying but Orji heads the strikeforce and will not only be key to Nigeria's hopes in New Zealand, but also the looming under-20 World Cup in Chile.

SOUTH KOREA- The South Koreans are led by inspirational captain Ji So-Yun, who at age 15 became the youngest Korean player to play a senior international match. The prolific attacking midfielder has already won 13 caps and scored six goals at senior level.

NEW ZEALAND - This isn't just a token mention of a Kiwi player, because 17-year-old Annalie Longo has the potential to be one of the players of the tournament. Longo, who debuted at senior level at 15, is a technically-gifted midfielder who became the second-youngest player (male or female) to play at a Fifa World Cup when she appeared against Denmark in Wuhan, China last year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/under-17-fifa-womens-world-cup/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502778&objectid=10539162

Beatriz

She wears the No 10 shirt made famous by Brazilian great Pele but at just 14 Beatriz Zaneratto Joao has plenty of catching up to do. No better place to catch the eye than on the Fifa stage.

She does not blow out 15 candles until just before Christmas, by which time she and the Marcos Gasper-coached team will be home and, they hope, world champions.

When Beatriz turned up at the Sudamericano - the South American (Conmebol) qualifying tournament in Chile - she was, like every player in the fledgling age group, unknown.

By the time Brazil left as silver medallists Beatriz was the name on everybody's lips.

From the outset she impressed with her uncanny dribbling ability and precision finishing.

Kristen and Samantha Mewis

The United States are a strong side, featuring the sibling double act of Kristen and Samantha Mewis. The pair have already struck fear into plenty of opponents.

They scored six goals in four qualifying games in the North-Central America (Concacaf) tournament and are being compared with many of the past greats. They form a formidable strikeforce with ace goal-grabber Courtney Verloo.

Laetitia Philippe

The French goalkeeper was outstanding in the Uefa Championship. While their strikers struggled at times to score, Les Bleuettes were kept in many games by Philippe as the French enjoyed a run of six matches in the group phases without conceding a goal.

From the Montpellier HSC club, Philippe, who first played internationally as a 14-year-old, has taken real pride in her growing number of clean sheets and has become a key player in France's bid for glory in New Zealand. France, in group C, will play what could be the group decider against the United States at North Harbour Stadium on Guy Fawkes Day.

Yun Hyon-Hi

The 16-year-old star of the Korea DPR team has already made her mark. At last year's under-16 Asian Championship she led the North Koreans to victory scoring seven goals which won her the golden boot and had her acclaimed as the player of the tournament.

She plays her club football for April 45 Sports Group where she has made her mark as an exciting striker. As Asian champions, the North Koreans are expected to make a bold showing at the tournament.

Archived