Toronto FC Reserves trounced 6-0 by KC

Alberto7

It looks like the reserves didn't do any better than the first team. Of note: Dichio played a good part of the game and it looks like Monsalve came on as a field sub.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080922&content_id=189880&vkey=pr_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=t105

09/22/2008 12:38PM

KCW Reserves defeat TFC Reserves 6-0

Kansas City gets hat trick from Ivan Trujillo, two goals from Ryan Pore

Kansas City Wizards Media Relations

MLS Reserve Division Match

Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:00 a.m. (CT)

Kansas City Wizards Swope Park Training Center - Kansas City, Kansas

Weather: 80 and clear

Score:

1 2 F

KCW Reserves 1 5 6

Toronto FC Reserves 0 0 0

Scoring Summary:

KC - Ivan Trujillo 3 (Lance Watson 1, Kerry Zavagnin 1) 37

KC - Ryan Pore 6 (Claudio Lopez 1, Kurt Morsink 2) 47

KC - Ivan Trujillo 4 (Ryan Pore 3, Kerry Zavagnin 2) 54

KC - Ivan Trujillo 5 (Ryan Pore 4) 58

KC - Carlos Marinelli 1 (unassisted) 65

KC - Ryan Pore 7 (unassisted) 80

The KCW Reserves improved to 6-1-2 Sunday morning with a 6-0 victory over Toronto FC Reserves at Kansas City's Swope Park Training Center. The Wizards exploded for five goals after halftime and goalkeeper Eric Kronberg recorded his second shutout of the Reserve Division season.

Kansas City opened the scoring before halftime in the 37th minute through Colombian forward Ivan Trujillo. Central midfielder Kerry Zavagnin put left back Lance Watson through behind the defense with a long pass from the middle of the park, and Watson played a low cross from the end line back to Trujillo at the back post. Trujillo tapped home from close range to put the Wizards ahead 1-0.

Kansas City then exploded for five goals after the break to climb within two points of 1st place in the MLS Reserve Division standings. Kansas City's leading Reserve Division scorer Ryan Pore tapped home a low cross from Claudio Lopez in the 47th minute, then set up another Trujillo goal in the 54th minute.

Pore took a pass from Zavagnin near the half line, held off a defender and spun the ball forward to Trujillo behind the defense. Trujillo carried the ball to the top of the 18-yard area and bent the ball home with his left foot at the back post for a 3-0 Kansas City advantage.

Pore again found Trujillo four minutes later to complete the hat trick. Pore carried the ball up the middle of the park, eluding two defenders before lofting a pass diagonally over the defense to Trujillo at the back post. Trujillo took the chance on the half volley and rifled another left-footed effort underneath the crossbar for a 4-0 lead.

Argentine playmaker Carlos Marinelli added to the score line in the 65th minute when he bent a free kick on goal from the right flank that TFC goalkeeper Brian Edwards bobbled over the goal line. Pore then finished the scoring in the 80th minute by unleashing a 25-yard rocket into the lower-left corner of goal for his team-leading 7th tally of the Reserve Division season. He ranks third in the League in goals, behind former Wizards forward Yura Movsisyan of Real Salt Lake and Kyle Brown of Houston Dynamo.

Kansas City's next reserve match comes Sunday, October 5 versus the Chicago Fire at 4 p.m. CT Kansas City and Chicago will play a doubleheader that day at CommunityAmerica Ballpark. Toronto's reserve squad is also in action October 5 against the New York Red Bulls.

Kansas City Wizards Line-Up: Eric Kronberg, Kevin Souter, Aaron Hohlbein, Rauwshan McKenzie, Lance Watson, Ryan Pore, Kurt Morsink, Kerry Zavagnin (Nelson Pizarro 61), Carlos Marinelli, Claudio Lopez (Michael Kraus 61), Ivan Trujillo

Substitutes not used: Boris Pardo, Matt Marquess

New York Reserves Line-Up: Brian Edwards, Derek Gaudet, Marco Velez, Kevin Harmse, Gabe Gala, Johann Smith, Joey Melo, Tyler Rosenlund, Jarrod Smith, Danny Dichio (Marco Terminesi 64), Abdus Ibrahim (David Monsalve 64)

Substitutes not used: None

Misconduct:

KC - Ryan Pore (Caution) 61

KC - Nelson Pizarro (Caution) 70

That score indicates to me that the players just don't give a crap anymore.

The lineup isn't nearly as bad as the scoreline suggests, save for Monsalve coming in at striker. The players have thrown in the towel, and the off-season cannot come fast enough.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

That score indicates to me that the players just don't give a crap anymore.

The lineup isn't nearly as bad as the scoreline suggests, save for Monsalve coming in at striker.

I think Monsalve coming in as a striker speaks volumes of the line-up though. Add to that some pretty high-profile "reserve" players on the KC roster (Lopez, Marinelli, Trujillo and Zavagnin) and that there were only two defenders who appear to have dressed for TFC (unless the mysterious Marco Terminisi who came on late is another) and the scoreline isn't all that surprising, to be honest.

Granted, hearing that Edwards bobbled one of the goals into his net is a bit disappointing - maybe it's he, not Monsalve, that should be tried as a striker.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Terminesi played at Louisville and is a forward

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/terminesi_marco00.html

He is playing for Vaughn Shooters of CSL as well.

The Isaaco-run farm team for TFC has been very useful. What I don't understand is why TFC doesn't consider players from other CSL sides for these Reserve games. Last I checked, Nascimento and Lammie are ripping up CSL and they don't even get a shot at a 1 game Reserve Team trial.

I think Mo doesn't watch the CSL at all and just relies on Isaaco because there's a relationship from last season. Between every CSL call-up being from VIS, the ex-Newcastle Carver connections and bringing over his former NY players it strikes me that MO doesn't watch any games other than his own team.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

He seems to know what he is doing in the draft so that is probably an overstatement. Also not sure you are right on the VIS thing. Pretty sure there have been Toronto Croatia and Serbian White Eagles players as well.

That is a common misconception. Drafting the clear number 1 prospect does not make you a draft genius. The only real diamond I've seen Mo produce would be Jozy Altidore. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about MLS history to know what sort of hype he had around him before the draft.

However, recently his draft picks have been hit and miss at best. Edu was the clear number 1 pick and a no-brainer. Julius James is a wait and see propect. Pat Phelan and Andrew Boyens (the other two first round picks) are both playing on other teams.

I'll give Mo some credit for drafting. However, there are amateur scouts who actually do the legwork like watching the games and then debrief Mo before the draft. In the Altidore case he was playing with RBNY academy so they would have had an inside track on his abilities (i edited my post, thinking he'd been promoted through the Academy, but he was a 2nd rounder since he only spent 1 year in the Academy)

Not sure who from SWE and Croatia were brought in, possibly Niki Budalic? No one else comes to mind.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

However, recently his draft picks have been hit and miss at best. Edu was the clear number 1 pick and a no-brainer. Julius James is a wait and see propect. Pat Phelan and Andrew Boyens (the other two first round picks) are both playing on other teams.

Well in Mo's drafting defense the fact that he later traded those to play for other teams doesn't mean that his ability to spot the talent is at fault. That said I do agree that his alleged drafting "genius" is often greatly overstated - as you mentioned Edu was the consensus #1 choice for 2007 (so no real "genius" points there) and his 2008 draft is leaving a lot to be desired.

In terms of "wait and see" for Julius James, I'm waiting to see if he is going to be able to stop sending ball 10 yards over the heads of the player it was intended for. He's proven to be a disappointment who has probably gotten more playing time this year due to the total lack of depth at the back for TFC, and at 24, is getting up there for "prospects" (consider that he does not look a more promising player than Nana Attakora who is 5 years his junior).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

In terms of "wait and see" for Julius James, I'm waiting to see if he is going to be able to stop sending ball 10 yards over the heads of the player it was intended for. He's proven to be a disappointment who has probably gotten more playing time this year due to the total lack of depth at the back for TFC, and at 24, is getting up there for "prospects" (consider that he does not look a more promising player than Nana Attakora who is 5 years his junior).

Yeah, sorry I was trying to be generous to James. Personally, I've waited and I've seen. Others though think that he still might be good.

Edit: and I just checked - Boyens was cut and Phelan was traded for an int'l spot.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Not sure who from SWE and Croatia were brought in, possibly Niki Budalic? No one else comes to mind.

I thought that the CSL guys got good exposure and opportunity in those friendlies against Independiente. There might cap issues and roster restriction problem with CSL players in the reserve game.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I thought that the CSL guys got good exposure and opportunity in those friendlies against Independiente. There might cap issues and roster restriction problem with CSL players in the reserve game.

My original point was that they'd only brough in Vaughn Italia Shooters players. But apparently, a few from other teams have been called in as well.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I believe TFC reserves have used a SWE or Croatia keeper this past season.

It doesn't look like it. Here is Toronto FC's Reserve stats through July 13th. They have postponed two games since (vs New England at home on Aug 24 and Sept. 3rd vs Columbus) and played this game vs KC:

Games through July 13, 2008

Player GP GS MIN G A C E

Julius James 6 6 488 0 0 0 1

Todd Dunivant 4 4 304 0 0 0 0

Gabe Gala 7 5 507 1 0 0 0

Olivier Tebily 4 4 360 0 0 0 0

Nana Attakora-Gyan 7 5 508 1 0 0 0

Kevin Harmse 6 6 540 1 1 1 0

Tyler Rosenlund 7 7 630 1 1 0 0

Joey Melo 6 5 307 1 0 0 0

Kilian Elkinson 4 2 183 0 0 0 0

Andrea Lombardo 6 6 515 1 1 0 0

Jarrod Smith 6 6 474 1 0 0 0

Jeff Cunningham 6 6 409 1 3 1 0

Pat Phelan 4 3 287 0 0 0 0

Tyler Hemming 3 3 270 0 0 2 0

(G)Marko Bedenikovic 2 1 134 0 0 0 0

(G)Branko Majstrovic2 1 75 0 0 0 0

Abdus Ibrahim 3 3 225 1 0 0 0

Brian Edwards 5 5 450 0 0 1 0

Joe Rini 1 0 63 0 0 0 0

Taylor Lord 1 0 45 0 0 0 0

Team Totals 7 - 630 9 6 5 1

Goalkeepers GP GS MIN GA GAA PG PA W L T SO

Brian Edwards 5 5 450 8 1.60 0 1 3 2 0 1

(G) David Monsalve 2 1 135 2 1.35 0 0 1 1 0 0

Greg Sutton 1 1 45 1 1.96 0 0 0 0 0 0

Team Totals 7 7 630 11 1.57 0 1 4 3 0 1

(G) indicates guest player

Their record is still a respectable 4-4-0. Does anyone know if they make up the postponed Reserve matches?

Doesn't look like Gomes ultimately suited up but Toronto Croatia's Marko Bedenikovic did and played 90 along with Nascimento.

I'm hearing that TFC might be bringing in a bunch more guest players from the CSL in coming weeks to round out their reserve team rosters.

I'm curious if Nascimento skipped out on his Brampton Lions game this past weekend because he knew he was getting called up for TFC. It was odd that he did not play for Lions vs. London the other day and now it makes sense. I've got no issue with players from CSL accepting guest spots with TFC (I encourage it actually) but, as a CSL fan, I'd like to see players be committed to their clubs and play regularly scheduled games.

I wonder if TFC plans to bring in Hurtis or Lammie from NY Astros. Hurtis is perhaps the most talented player I've seen in CSL this year and Lammie is a goal scoring machine (and a pit bull). I'm told he's really matured alot this past 2 years under the Astros coach so maybe he deserves another look by TFC. He's the real deal in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Doesn't look like Gomes ultimately suited up but Toronto Croatia's Marko Bedenikovic did and played 90 along with Nascimento.

I'm hearing that TFC might be bringing in a bunch more guest players from the CSL in coming weeks to round out their reserve team rosters.

I'm curious if Nascimento skipped out on his Brampton Lions game this past weekend because he knew he was getting called up for TFC. It was odd that he did not play for Lions vs. London the other day and now it makes sense. I've got no issue with players from CSL accepting guest spots with TFC (I encourage it actually) but, as a CSL fan, I'd like to see players be committed to their clubs and play regularly scheduled games.

I wonder if TFC plans to bring in Hurtis or Lammie from NY Astros. Hurtis is perhaps the most talented player I've seen in CSL this year and Lammie is a goal scoring machine (and a pit bull). I'm told he's really matured alot this past 2 years under the Astros coach so maybe he deserves another look by TFC. He's the real deal in my opinion.

The call ups took place after the Brampton game so must have been something else with Daniel. With Wigor Gomes due to him being on loan from a big side in Brazil (Portuguesa Sao Paolo) TFC and Portugal FC decided against it as there would have been a liability issue had he gotten injured while with TFC.

I also hope to see the said players. TFC has made it clear however preference will be given to u23's. Ramon Bailey formerly of new york metrostars is one i would like to see he is however 24. Gagan Natt 19 year old norwegian born defender whos played himself into the Portugal central defense is another as he has the years in front of him. Hayden from Croatia is currently on fire and Darryl at Serbia has had a fine season aswell. Cam Medwin from Brampton was with them last season, but has mentioned that he wouldnt be interested in TFC unless theres a contract in place.

quote:Originally posted by pfc

The call ups took place after the Brampton game so must have been something else with Daniel. With Wigor Gomes due to him being on loan from a big side in Brazil (Portuguesa Sao Paolo) TFC and Portugal FC decided against it as there would have been a liability issue had he gotten injured while with TFC.

I also hope to see the said players. TFC has made it clear however preference will be given to u23's. Ramon Bailey formerly of new york metrostars is one i would like to see he is however 24. Gagan Natt 19 year old norwegian born defender whos played himself into the Portugal central defense is another as he has the years in front of him. Hayden from Croatia is currently on fire and Darryl at Serbia has had a fine season aswell. Cam Medwin from Brampton was with them last season, but has mentioned that he wouldnt be interested in TFC unless theres a contract in place.

Regarding Gomes, I think the decision to hold him back is a very logical decision.

Its odd that TFC says it has a preference for U23's but then bring Marko Bedenikovic into the side for the reserve match when he is 24 (if not 25) years old.

BTW, Hurtis is 24 and Lammie is only 20 or 21.

Canadian players tend to develop a bit later. i wouldn't write someone off just because they are over 23. TFC desperately needs all the talent and help it can find.

Next time I watch PFC play, I'll pay attention for this 19 year old Norwegian. I had not really noticed him previously

Bailey is a good player. Is he American?

Was Medwin with TFC last year? I don't recall that. Was he a guest player?

Cam Medwin played the last 5-6 games for the reserves last season. As he and Marko presents it however theres never any intention of signing you unless you are alot younger then what they are (born in 82). I didnt know Lammie is that young. The 19 year old is a prospect, but in my mind he has some above average abilities in terms of speed and composure. If he gets picked up by the TFC program at this age he might turn into something. Players he has man marked and kept quiet this season is Viciknez, Dragovic, Lecky, Mella, Loague.

Bailey holds American and Jamaican passports capped at u17, u21 and 2 friendlies for the full side in Jamaica this summer.

I dont agree with the u23 thing either for the reasons you point out.

Archived