Canada vs Mexico

Mexicano Americano

Hello, Mexico fan here. I always like to read what the opposition is thinking and I am definitely not here to talk trash or anything like that. I am rooting for Canada to advance instead of Honduras or Jamaica.

While playing in Chiapas doesn't give Mexico the same type of home field advantage that they'd have at Azteca, I think it will still be pretty strong. The stadium in Chiapas is one of the crappier ones in Mexico. And the fans in Chiapas should be pretty vocal. It's more like playing in Central America with the extreme weahter and dilapidated stadium. It will be extremely hot and humid. Mexico has played games there before and done well.

I don't know much about Canada's roster other than De Rosario and Onstad since I'm from the U.S. and I've seen them play in MLS. Both are pretty damm good. I am assuming they'll be part of Canada's starting 11?

Here's to a good game tommorow!

Hey welcome to the fourm. This will likely be our roster for the game tonite.

Lars Hirschfeld | G | Edmonton, AB | ROM / CFR Cluj

Pat Onstad | G | Vancouver, BC | USA / Houston Dynamo

Jim Brennan | D | East York, ON | CAN / Toronto FC

Julian de Guzman | M | Scarborough, ON | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna

Dwayne De Rosario | M/F | Scarborough, ON | USA / Houston Dynamo

Rob Friend | F | Kelowna, BC | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach

Ali Gerba | F | Montréal, QC | ENG / Milton Keynes Dons FC

Richard Hastings | D | Vancouver, BC | SCO / Inverness CT

Iain Hume | F | Brampton, ON | ENG / Barnsley FC

Atiba Hutchinson | M | Brampton, ON | DEN / F.C. København

Dejan Jakovic | D | Etobicoke, ON | CRO / Red Star Belgrade

Ante Jazic | D | Bedford, NS | USA / Los Angeles Galaxy

Mike Klukowski | D | Oshawa, ON | BEL / Club Brugge KV

Kevin McKenna | D | Calgary, AB | GER / 1. FC Köln

Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland

Olivier Occean | F | Brossard, QC | NOR / Lillestrøm S.K.

Adrian Serioux | D/M| Scarborough, ON | USA / FC Dallas

Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur

In terms of the starting 11, your probably going to see something like this

---------------------Lars Hirchfield-----------------

Paul Staltari---Richard Hastings---Adrian Serioux----Mike Kulkowski

Issey Nakajima---Atiba Hutchionson--Julian De Guzman--Dwayne Derosario

-----------------Rob Friend----Ian Hume

What is the Mexican starting 11 looking like with the absence of Pardo and Salicido?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That's Issey with his hands clasped behind his back, I believe.

If that picture holds true, my predicting starting line-up looks correct (except Brennen for Kulkowski).

I think it's important to get a guy like Nakajima in the line up because he can take on defenders. Brennen will bring some experience back to the side as well. Question is--who's the guys behind Mitchell? It looks too short to be McKenna and too tall to be Hume. Surley isn't Gerba or Occean ;)

Perhaps it's Jazic?....mabye Kulkowski? Wouldn't say it's Jakovic....

I can't see Kulkowski not starting. He's been the best performer in the back line and Brennen would not be an upgrade at that position. I'd like to see Hasting replaced however. We know Brennen can play CB, wonder if Kulkowski could move to CB and then push Brennen to LB?

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

If that picture holds true, my predicting starting line-up looks correct (except Brennen for Kulkowski).

I think it's important to get a guy like Nakajima in the line up because he can take on defenders. Brennen will bring some experience back to the side as well. Question is--who's the guys behind Mitchell? It looks too short to be McKenna and too tall to be Hume. Surley isn't Gerba or Occean ;)

Perhaps it's Jazic?....mabye Kulkowski? Wouldn't say it's Jakovic....

I am pretty sure that's Klukowski.

We could be looking at the same back four, then Brennan out left, Issey out right with De Ro, De Guzman and Atiba in the middle. Or perhaps switch Issey with De Ro out wide.

quote:Originally posted by denis

I can't see Kulkowski not starting. He's been the best performer in the back line and Brennen would not be an upgrade at that position. I'd like to see Hasting replaced however. We know Brennen can play CB, wonder if Kulkowski could move to CB and then push Brennen to LB?

Really! I have been a big proponent of his in the past and still think that he is an excellent player. But quite honnestly, from what i have seen in two games, I think he is more suited to be a central defender instead. He just doesn't possess the pace and mobility thats required in the modern game for that position. He has shown a willingness to come fwd and thats good, but not much materializes when he does.

Good offense ( goals ) often starts from the back. Brennan has always been very dependable defensively. And he has shown to be much more effective comming fwd. Has scored for TFC and has created ( with nice pin pointed crosses ) goals for Canada. I am at a loss as to why he has not started in two games for Canada.

Brennan's exclusion from the starting line up and the fact that Sutton did not start in the first game has me wondering if DM has a bias against a particular MLS team

To answer Obinna's question, I think you'll see the same starting 11 for mexico that played against Honduras and Jamaica, with the exception of Salcido and Pardo of course.

You may see Torrado who plays at Cruz Azul in Mexico, take over for Pardo and probably see Aaron Galindo, who plays for Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany, take over for Salcido.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Really! I have been a big proponent of his in the past and still think that he is an excellent player. But quite honnestly, from what i have seen in two games, I think he is more suited to be a central defender instead. He just doesn't possess the pace and mobility thats required in the modern game for that position. He has shown a willingness to come fwd and thats good, but not much materializes when he does.

Good offense ( goals ) often starts from the back. Brennan has always been very dependable defensively. And he has shown to be much more effective comming fwd. Has scored for TFC and has created ( with nice pin pointed crosses ) goals for Canada. I am at a loss as to why he has not started in two games for Canada.

Brennan's exclusion from the starting line up and the fact that Sutton did not start in the first game has me wondering if DM has a bias against a particular MLS team

Guess well find out tonight as Brennen appeartly will start LB and Klukowski in the center.

Seb of Mtl:

I am a U.S. Citizen, born and raised but my parents are Mexican and when it comes to Soccer, I am 100% Mexican. I cringe when I see the behavior of some Mexican fans (and Central American fans - since we get lumped together) here in the U.S. More than anything, the behavior of these fans is because of Socio-Economic factors, and not due to the fact that they are Mexican, Honduran or whatever. I suspect it's kind of the same thing in Canada, but here in the U.S., the majority of immigrants are not really educated and this is reflected in the way they support their teams. I've been to Mexican National Team and Mexican league games here in the U.S. and also in Mexico, and I can tell you that the Mexican fans are much better in their actual country, then they are here. The folks who behave poorly are really a small segment of their respective country's population and not a reflection of the entire fan base. I felt compelled to respond because I understand there were some unfortunate incidents at your game with Honduras.

^ A friend of mine with the RCMP said that 90% of the crack dealers in Vancouver (Van. East side) are Honduran. The socio-economic argument, I'm afraid, is probably more true than one would like to admit in wealthy countries such as ours. The other factor: sometimes we all misbehave a little when we are on holiday and drunk.

Well, hell, at least they're not Mexican...lol. But seriously, I truly feel the socio-economic factor is the primary reason. For instance, I've been to the World Cup in France and Germany, and the majority of Mexicans that followed, are fairly wealthy, upper-class and from Mexico. It's not like gardners and dry-wallers can afford the trip. These are the type of Mexicans that would look down at my family for having emmigrated to the U.S. and would assume my family immigrated illegaly, even though they didn't! For the most part (NOT ALL CASES) immigrants to any country are not the cream of their original country's crop.

Well, in Canada that is not quite the case. For over a hundred years, the 'cream of the crop' so to speak, whether it was from England or the rich British subjects running away from the Yanks and moving north, ran eastern Canada. Same could be said about BC. Not so much the Prairie Western where the Ukrainians, for example, were truly the most destitute of immigrants.

^^ Ed, most of the Greeks and Italians (mostly from the south) came because they couldn't find work in their home countries. No one would ever claim the Irish were the cream of the crop either. I think the phenomenon that mostly well educated immigrants get in to Canada is quite recent. And that's from us stealing us the cream of the crop from India, Eastern Europe and wealthy Hong Kong-ites getting out of Dodge before the commies take their loot.

quote:Originally posted by Mexicano Americano

To answer Obinna's question, I think you'll see the same starting 11 for mexico that played against Honduras and Jamaica, with the exception of Salcido and Pardo of course.

You may see Torrado who plays at Cruz Azul in Mexico, take over for Pardo and probably see Aaron Galindo, who plays for Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany, take over for Salcido.

If i'm not mistaken, I watched Galindo in the Honduras Mexico Gold Cup game--he deffinatly isn't a bad player and wasn't out of place by any means, so Mexico might not lose much at left back (Although I have never seen Salcido play, I'm just assuming his quality based on his club--PSV).

I don't recall ever seeing Torrado play, so how do you rate him compared to Pardo? I get the impression he's your top center midfielder.

Again, thanks for the info.

Interesting about Torrado. If his best soccer was 2002, does that mean he's an older player?

Because he played in the 2002 WC, he will bring experience to the side, Regardless of his age.

Another question, who starts up front for you guys? I know you have alot of options--Vela, Bravo, Nery, Blanco, Bogetti(he still with the team)?

I haven't seen Vela play before, but I have seen Nery(Man City player i think), he impressed me ALOT, dangerous player.

Archived