CSA love-in

Saviola7

I wonder how binding such a contract would be in 2010, if say Canada happens to play England during the first round of the World Cup? Would that be a level enough playing field, or just a more attractive opponent than say Jamaica? The CSA should be selling these games as a package deal, which includes possible Canadian matches at the final tournament should they qualify. Although I have no evidence to substantiate the following claim, my guess would be that this has not been done (I base this on the short-sighted track recond the CSA has displayed in the past. The name Nykamp comes to mind. Also because TSN & Sportsnet have been sharing major tournament coverage in recent years.) and more than likely a seperate contract would be drawn-up, if and when, after Canada qualifies. The point remains, making a little less money of a contract of this kind to ensure the best possible presentation of the Canadian National Team, will I'm sure reap greater dividends for the CSA in the long term, but that would take a vision that has never before been demonstrated by the CSA. They instead prefer the quick and easy desperate grap for immediate cash, and consequently we continue to languish in our third-world state of soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ Probably because imposing such conditions would result in mainstream broadcasters walking away and us being left with no TV coverage at all other than the niche market specialty channels. Also, broadcasters sign contracts with MLB et al long in advance which commits them to coverage. Soccer games, no matter how important, are typically scheduled at shorter notice. If there is a clash the legally binding contracts take precedence. Until soccer can compete on a level playing field in the Canadian marketplace with these major American sports it will always take second place.

^ I doubt the networks would be interested in 'buying' something that is as uncertain as Canada qualifying for WC SA, much as we would like to think we are a shoo-in. But when it comes to the actual World Cup Final tournament I suspect more of an effort would be made by the networks to accommodate coverage once we have qualified. If Canada qualifies I am sure one or more of the mainstream networks will pick up the games no matter what the CSA says or does now. I suspect the network executives just don't see early stage qualifying games as such a hot property as we might like to think they ought to.

^ There are all sorts of ways to negotiate a contract. A sliding scale that increases the further Canada progresses in qualifying would be one alternative. Games against Belize and St. Vincent should be relatively inexpensive, while matches against Mexico and the United States would of course generate much more, and if we are fortunate enough to progress to the finals, games against Brasil and Germany would command top-dollars. However, as I have previously stated, the art of negotiating good contracts has never been a strong suit of the CSA. Untill that changes we will unfortunately continue to be subjected to the most unsatisfactory state of affairs that we have become accustomed to. It just totally pisses me off that people in other countries can easily watch Canada play live, while we have to going to an Italian cappuccino bar, buy special electronics, or wait to watch a tape-delayed broadcast.

^ You are assuming of course that the mainstream media outlets in Canada are interested in actually paying for the right to broadcast these games. Besides, I am pretty certian by the time it gets to the WC final FIFA controls the rights not the CSA.

I should add that I too am frustrated that all too aften the games we want to watch are not available in a timely manner on mainstream media channels and we must either wait, go out or spend extra money on specialty channels to watch them.

I should add that I too am frustrated that all too aften the games we want to watch are not available in a timely manner on mainstream media channels and we must either wait, go out or spend extra money on specialty channels to watch them.

I second your protest.

Maybe the Voyageurs should approach Kerfoot and/or Saputo to establish our own TV network dedicated to broadcast ALL Canadian games, buy rights and whatnot. A new network called VTV, it rimes.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I second your protest.

Maybe the Voyageurs should approach Kerfoot and/or Saputo to establish our own TV network dedicated to broadcast ALL Canadian games, buy rights and whatnot. A new network called VTV, it rimes.

We'd have a lot of airtime to fill between the games, though. Could we run infomercials for the Magic Bullet? I love those damn things.

The CSA's VISION STATEMENT states:

"The vision of Soccer in Canada declares what our sport stands for and is working towards:

• To encourage positive values in all aspects of the sport.

• To be recognized as a major player in the world’s premier sport.

As a result of the above, all decisions on programs and resources are made by answering the

question:

HOW DOES THIS HELP ACHIEVE THE VISION FOR SOCCER?

MISSION STATEMENT

• The Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with its members are dedicated to promoting the growth and development of soccer for all Canadians at all levels.

• That, in this pursuit, The Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with its Members, are committed to providing leadership and good governance for our sport."

How is the CSA promoting the growth and development of soccer for all Canadians? Die-hard supporters like us Voyageurs might spend the extra time and money to satisfy our passion to watch Canada play World Cup matches live, but how on earth does the CSA expect to introduce the game to youngsters who know nothing about watching a game at an ethnic coffee-shop, or that your need to buy special equipment to watch Canada play live. Come to think of it, how do these kids even knowthat Canada is playing a World Cup qualifier against Jamaica, in Toronto, on August 20th? I haven't seen a single commecial on Sportsnet (of course not since their not showing it live), read much about it in the local Vancouver papers, or seen it promoted by any other means (radio, etc.). When other events, such as concerts, are held, their promotors bombard us with letting us know that NIN and Coldplay are going to be at Pemberton.

Being recognized as a major player in the world’s premier sport? Are they kidding? Even you have to have a big smile :D on your face right now.

^ You are assuming of course that the mainstream media outlets in Canada are interested in actually paying for the right to broadcast these games. Besides, I am pretty certian by the time it gets to the WC final FIFA controls the rights not the CSA.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If you believe that would work you are really daft. The fundamental problem for anyone trying to reform their national federation including governmental organizations is that any radical overhaul has to be approved by what are essentially criminal organizations, FIFA and CONCACAF. It is like going to Hell's Angels headquarters and telling them you don't think your local chapter is being run properly. BTW. I doubt said top executive would even get an audience with Warner let alone Blatter and if they did it would merely be a photo-op to make it appear that they are interested in the issue.

Geez Grizzly you think Jack Warner would not sell the CSA execuitive out for million dollars ?

The right money in the right pocket of your Hell Angels head office in the Domican Republic and short flight to POS and you would have Mr. Warner finding out the things the CSA does wrong appointing hand picked commision and violla a new leadership.. beholden to Mr. Warner the money flowing then to the new President and members to cover off the payment to Mr. Warner for his advice on developing a new program.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

I wonder how binding such a contract would be in 2010, if say Canada happens to play England during the first round of the World Cup? Would that be a level enough playing field, or just a more attractive opponent than say Jamaica? The CSA should be selling these games as a package deal, which includes possible Canadian matches at the final tournament should they qualify. Although I have no evidence to substantiate the following claim, my guess would be that this has not been done (I base this on the short-sighted track recond the CSA has displayed in the past. The name Nykamp comes to mind. Also because TSN & Sportsnet have been sharing major tournament coverage in recent years.) and more than likely a seperate contract would be drawn-up, if and when, after Canada qualifies. The point remains, making a little less money of a contract of this kind to ensure the best possible presentation of the Canadian National Team, will I'm sure reap greater dividends for the CSA in the long term, but that would take a vision that has never before been demonstrated by the CSA. They instead prefer the quick and easy desperate grap for immediate cash, and consequently we continue to languish in our third-world state of soccer.

If I remember correctly, the 2010 WC rights belong to CBC, so I would think CBC would end up broadcasting all the Canada games. They would almost DEFINITELY air the games live.

I do remember reading in an article that they were trying to get a sports only channel.

Edit: actually they (CBC) have the rights to the games:

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/newsreleases/20060915.shtml

What role did the CSA have in the Brazil friendly? I think that was a fantastic friendly and, in terms of marketing the game and leading up to WCQ, it gave the MNT a great boost. I think fans of the game who may not have been paying attention to Canada have suddenly become interested.

Among my friends who have been cheering for their traditional "home" countries (Italy, Portugal, Scotland, England, Netherlands to name a few), the Brazil game made them sit up and notice this team. Or maybe they just got sick of me going on and on about 'em for the past year.

Anyhoo, of all the events of the past year, I think the Brazil friendly was a stunner. Yeah it would have been great to have been in Canada, but still...

Archived