Dickov Reportedly Signed

adma

My guess & hope is Cunningham goes to make room. Mo can always trade him to another team for another 5 international spots or something like that. Why stop 18? With the salary they are reporting in that article for Dickov it would make sense for them to rid themselves of a high-priced, under-achieving striker to make room.

Of course now that TFC has 18 international spots, it could be Harmse they chuck off the senior roster, though I don't think that would free up cap room or make sense with Edu gone for nearly a month in August (& suspended for the next match). Or perhaps (as someone had rumoured) they are pushing Smith back to the senior dev. roster, which is what caused Lombardo to depart as he didn't want to be demoted to the junior dev. roster spot (and it's accompanying joke of a "salary").

ya i would like to see cunningham go if we have to free up a spot, he is taking up too much cap room to just sit on the bench as much as he does. sending smith back down doesn't make sense to me considering he just got bumped up and has been playing well and enthusiastically IMO. So yes maybe harmse....

Tractor boy is right,

MLS should make a goal and keep the league to 16 teams (the 14 now plus Seattle and Phili), but all teams must have soccer specific staidums with grass and 20,000+ seats. This should be met by the 2010 season. If they can't meet that goal they should be sent down to USL-1 until they can. Then we can call it a proffessional leagues and big players will want to come, not just the 2 or 3 we have now.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

True, nobody takes the Russian league seriously.....

You're right, that European Cup semi-final squad, that was full of players from their domestic league was a joke, and their UEFA Cup Champion side, Zenit St. Petersburg is equally a joke.

I hope you were being sarcastic.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

You're right, that European Cup semi-final squad, that was full of players from their domestic league was a joke, and their UEFA Cup Champion side, Zenit St. Petersburg is equally a joke.

I hope you were being sarcastic.

Don't post when you can't see obvious sarcasm...

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

True, nobody takes the Russian league seriously.....

There is only one team out of 16, Spartak Moscow, that is playing on artificial turf in the Russian Premiership. I prefer grass myself but there is a bit of a double standard. Zenit played in Vladivostok this week and there was a rain downpour and the pitch was absolutely terrible and water logged, far worse than artificial turf. Even the Euro game with Switzerland and Turkey had a horrible waterlogged pitch with insufficient drainage. This was the stadium of a major team, FC Basel, and the pitch quality was so bad an amateur men's league team shouldn't have played on it let alone have a major tournament game there. There are certainly many times where grass fields are in far worse condition than artificial turf but people don't bitch about it half as much as they do about artificial turf.

Yup, couldn't believe the disgusting state of the natural grass pitch in Basel when it rained. No self-respecting team should ever be expected to play on a pitch like that yet people still whine about FieldTurf which would have performed far better all around under the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dickov signing worries me.

He was never a prolific scorer and he's getting quite old. His only saving grace was the way he hassled the opposition defense and I can't see how he's going to be able to manage that at his age and in the heat that TFC play many of their games.

I'm glad Mo and JC is deciding to continue the TFC tradition

of attracting over-age players from the British Isles.

And to pay him a reported $500,000 to boot!

Meanwhile, a deal cannot be made for Canadian Ali Gerba, nor

the Brian McBride issue with Chicago cannot be resolved.

And Kevin Harmse may even be released. What great management.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I'm glad Mo and JC is deciding to continue the TFC tradition

of attracting over-age players from the British Isles.

And to pay him a reported $500,000 to boot!

Meanwhile, a deal cannot be made for Canadian Ali Gerba, nor

the Brian McBride issue with Chicago cannot be resolved.

And Kevin Harmse may even be released. What great management.

I prefer to judge each player on his merits. I've got no major problem with the Dickov signing, if it indeed happens. He's actually got a decent career strike rate, he would be a suitable strike partner for Barrett and his work rate is outstanding. We need some hustle players on TFC because too many of our guys have a lazy look to them. We need a guy to lead by example. I think that, at this stage in his career, he's a 75 minute player who will leave everything he's got on the pitch and there's nothing wrong with that.

Forget the money issue....they've got a ton of allocation money to use so i'm glad they are using it on someone.

As a Canadian MNT supporter, I would love to have had Gerba but there is something fishy with that guy and I don't know what it is. Why do club sides keep turning their back on him?

As for Harmse, he's really a pretty insignificant player. if he goes, it makes more room for Canadian players with better skills and hopefully better smarts (i.e. Rosenlund, Hemming, Melo and Gala). I have my doubts about both Rosenlund and Hemming but I'd like to see them play more before I decide if my concerns are justified or not. With Edu gone for a month, both Rosenlund and Hemming should have plenty of opportunities to play and get comfortable. I truly don't believe Harmse is every going to get better than he is right now so they might as well move him out for younger players with theoretically more potential to take his place.

Archived