Going to Nicaragua [R]

Just wondering what die hards from TFC or Montreal Impact would be willing to pay to see TFC play an away game at Real Esteli FC.

Doing some web surfing you can fly to Managua for about $350 return out of Miami and cheap flights to Miami on Jetblue from Syracuse or Buffalo run $250.... so $600 bucks hotels probably running $50.00 a night leave on Friday back Wednesday so four days hotel maybe five depending on connections.

Just how strong would the passion be to go to Central America ... to a small city and make a show of TFC or the Impact there ?

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

If you use kayak.com, you might find a flight at $550 out of Buffalo to Managua. Flights out of MTL & TOR kick around $700. Do Montreal folks have a U.S. airport they can get to?

What? Are you telling me that MTL fans are willing to make a trip to Nicaragua to watch TFC play? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Just wondering what die hards from TFC or Montreal Impact would be willing to pay to see TFC play an away game at Real Esteli FC.

As a Montreal diehard, I think I can speak for all of us, No, we wouldn't pay to see TFC play there.

;)

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Doing some web surfing you can fly to Managua for about $350 return out of Miami and cheap flights to Miami on Jetblue from Syracuse or Buffalo run $250.... so $600 bucks hotels probably running $50.00 a night leave on Friday back Wednesday so four days hotel maybe five depending on connections.

Just how strong would the passion be to go to Central America ... to a small city and make a show of TFC or the Impact there ?

Well I have never been to a Real Esteli game but I have been to Nicaragua and I have been to Esteli.

I know that soccer is not the dominant sport in Nicaragua but Real Esteli is known for being the best team in Nicaragua for a number of years.

Esteli, the town itself is alright, it's at a higher altitude than most Nicaragua so it's not as hot there.

BTW, you could also try the Liberia Airport in Costa Rica and take a bus up to the border. The border is quite hectic but it will save you a few bucks.

"

Nicaragua is rated the safest country in Central America by many sources, however, minor gang violence has been filtering into Nicaragua from Honduras and El Salvador. The capital, Managua, has the largest number of inhabitants but the majority of crime there is petty theft

"

Wikitravel.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

A forum page dealing with safety in Nicaragua in general, with a focus on Esteli by residents and former residents (including me).

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/forums/showthread.php?t=108&highlight=ESTELI

I recognize the cathedral in Granada in the banner at the top of the page. Two blocks down the street and around the corner on the left from where the pic was taken is the hotel we stayed in, across from the city square.

I can't believe TFC failed to qualify (my g/f is pissed!), we were looking forward to heading down to Nicaragua and catching some of the sites we missed last time; like Ometepe and her dad's farm in the northern hills outside of Esteli.

For you Impact fans going down, you'll be fine down there. The country is poor, but the people are very religious so you don't get the violence you would anywhere else. I believe there are flights from Montreal to Managua. The buses are safe so i suggest taking one to Esteli from Managua. You may want to get to Esteli asap since it's much cooler (25C as opposed to 35C) than the oven that is Managua.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I recognize the cathedral in Granada in the banner at the top of the page. Two blocks down the street and around the corner on the left from where the pic was taken is the hotel we stayed in, across from the city square.

I can't believe TFC failed to qualify (my g/f is pissed!), we were looking forward to heading down to Nicaragua and catching some of the sites we missed last time; like Ometepe and her dad's farm in the northern hills outside of Esteli.

For you Impact fans going down, you'll be fine down there. The country is poor, but the people are very religious so you don't get the violence you would anywhere else. I believe there are flights from Montreal to Managua. The buses are safe so i suggest taking one to Esteli from Managua. You may want to get to Esteli asap since it's much cooler (25C as opposed to 35C) than the oven that is Managua.

Buses are the only form of mass transportation to Esteli, there is not even a private airport there. Take a taxi from the airport at Managua to the Bus Terminal at Mercado Mayoreo (there are many in the city). Be careful with the info for bus schedules on the vianica site, it is old and unreliable. For instance it has said that there are buses every half hour from Managua to Esteli until 9 pm for years, but I can assure you that last year, the last bus for Esteli left at 5:45 pm. Also, be aware that there are 2 bus stations (and several non-stations) in Esteli. Most, but not all, Managua buses leave from and go to the south terminal.

Nicaragua is quite a safe and beautiful country. If you are hoping for the ease and the Americanisation of a Costa Rica or Mexican resort town, then forget about it, but if you are willing to go with an open mind and a good attitude I would definitely say go for it, as it is one of my favourite places around.

Congrats to Montreal, too - they really deserved it.

I was just in Nicaragua a few months ago, and I had a great time there. I have to say Managua is a place I would never return to if I could avoid it. I heard a few horror stories about it through my trip through central america, a few were first hand events, others were stories they had heard (which obviously you take with a pinch of salt). My very brief stay there made me realise it was one of only two places I disliked in central america for making me feel unsafe (the other being Tegucigalpa), and would recommend if you can avoid it, do so.

Having said that, the rest of the country is gorgeous. Ometepe, was really cool. It is two volcanoes that erupted years ago, joining them into an island in the middle of central america's largest lake. Granada was nice too, but if i had to pick only one to go to it would be Ometepe.

I agree that the nicaraguans I met outside of Managua were fantastic people. Very kind and hospitable.

Anyone who goes will ahve a brilliant time!

Archived