Caps wanna new stadium but can't sellout TFC

OK I just recived a newsletter from the Caps stating that the Silver section prices have been reduced from 24 to 20$ each. I just checked on ticketmaster.ca (at 11pm) and there are seats in Silver/Platinium/bronze section. I wonder how do they expect to fill BC Place(even lower bowl only) when they can't fill it now vs. a MLS Team on top of that in a tournament that will decide who will represent us at the CONCACAF Chas League(if they make it thru the next round).

sorry had to rant a bit bought tix in Bronze since was kind of broke and now Silver is only a Toonie more........

Guest speedmonk42

A brand new last minute tournie. No one even knows what it is.

Give it time. MLS league will be very different, this is not an indicator of anything.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Or maybe it's because Toronto is crap.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dirty, dirty, dirty ;)

Only half the time. The other half the time they look pretty good. Must be maddening for TFC fans to guess which team will show up on any given day. I think they will bring their "A" game tonight but the Caps still frustrate them royally and sneak off with a 1-1 tie making Impact fans happy.

There are many reasons why the Caps could struggle with this game...

Swangard for those of you not in the know is not in Vancouver Proper, nor in an urban environment. It is hard to get to unless you have no problem driving from wherever in Greater Vancouver to a very very busy area at the end of Rush hour on a weekday, or live close to skytrain, otherwise the game would be having a tonne more fans to it

And I don't know where you are from OrletaFC and Jarrek, but The Lynx had and have terrible attendance (well below what the Caps draw) once the new stadium and league arrived you can't get a sniff at a ticket, same thing will happen here in Van City. Pot calling Kettle black imho

Just because people on a subscription mailing list were offered tickets at a small discount they jump to the conclusion nobody is interested in the game. Bit silly really, I have little doubt there will be late walkups who might find themselves sorry out of luck.

The game will be a sell out guarenteed ... Vancouver is a walk up city and even thought its being played on a week night as Johnny mentioned rush hour here is brutal even with gas prices so high the cars are still bumper to bumper and try to make a 7pm game ...pretty tough.

W/ today's weather even the sunbathers & beach crowd will be at the game but good luck getting a ticket as a walk up.

To the next level the Caps will need a new MLS team & a open soccer stadia w/ a real pitch....build it & they will come. The future will have nothing to do w/ the past.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

why was the pitch so poor...i was somewhat surprised

You can thank the city of Burnaby for that. It's their park, their stadium, their pitch. Ever since the buzz first began about the Caps leaving for greener pastures, the city has allowed the pitch to go to s#!t.

Events like fund raising walks are also held at Swangard quite frequently, and tents are almost always erected right on the pitch. This is a rather efficient way of killing big patches of grass.

Has been discussed many times before that grass fields like Swanguard are very expensive to maintain. Also Swanguard is used by other field user groups beside the Caps.

During the U20's it was found out that the City of Burnaby has discussed Field Turf'ing the stadia so they can lower costs & generate more useage time/$.

It would be great to have a soccer only pitch but it's not going to happen until a soccer club owns their own stadia. Knowing Vancouver's lack of understanding for effecient fields & willingness to make fields into a rental model soccer will continue to have lousy fields & have to share w/ other user groups.

Heck Vancouver, doesn't even have a tournament center & hasn't held a provincial championship for youth probably since Empire stadium.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

the City of Burnaby has discussed Field Turf'ing the stadia so they can lower costs & generate more useage time/$.

Yea until you have to replace it every 8 to 10 years then you have to pay disposal costs for the old stuff. The grass is not cheaper on the Fieldturf side. Check out www.synturf.org for the headaches that come from it. It's an expensive heat island (hotter than ashphalt!).

If they want 3 times the usage they should check out the reinforced natural grass system

http://www.dessosports.com/en/desso-grassmaster.html

Much better way to do it. As well as the other points listed above about having other events setup on it covering the grass for days at a time. Burnaby will probably do the stupid thing. Seems to be their style.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

It is true though. Vancouver will never have as many sellouts as Toronto.

Just look at all the "sellouts" who wouldn't support the Lynx. ;)

Some of us stopped going when they moved the team to the fringes of the city. I went to a bunch of Lynx games for the first few years, but when they left Varsity i never went again. Back in '96/97 att. used to be around 2500-3500, by the end there i think it was down to 1500.

I thought the game was poorly marketed. Intially tickets to this match were sold as part of a package deal, which suggests that if a team can not sell tickets on a per game basis, there is obviously little demand for the product on the field.

The fact that the Whitecaps were all but mathmatically eliminated after their two matches against Montreal didn't help the cause much either. Going out to Burnaby to watch your team play the spoiler role at the end of a championship isn't the best selling ticket in town on a beautiful summer evening.

I found it sadly comical how Team 1040 broastcaster Allan E., with his annoying highspeed accent, claimed that Vancouver and Montreal fans were going estatic after Vancouver tied the score during the final minutes of the game. That goal meant absolutely nothing in terms of the championship. In either case, whether the goal was scored or not, Toronto would still need to win their final game against Montreal to claim the title. If Toronto had won the game, they would have entered the final game level on points with Montreal, but with an inferior goals differential, and would thus not win the championship if they tied Montreal in the final match. Talk about doing your homework Allan, or were you just insulting the intelligence of your listening audience?

As far as the pitch is concerned, it has been the poops all season long. Shame, shame, shame.

I find it interesting how the CSA has always claimed a national championship was not part of their agenda, but now all of a sudden their name and logo is everywhere. Even so, this lame organization will in all likelyhood fail to get the championship-final televised live nationally.

Best of luck to the winner of the fial.

Archived