Canadian Scoring Stats.......

Three more games in June, and if Canada destroys St Vincent (as I'm expecting), Derosario could be very close to being Canada's all-time goal-scorer:

Mitchell 19

Catliff 18

Bunbury 16

DeRosario 13

Corazzin 11

Pesch 11

McKenna 9

Radzinski 9

Stalteri 7

Gerba 5

DeGuzman 3

Friend 2

Hume 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Three more games in June, and if Canada destroys St Vincent (as I'm expecting), Derosario could be very close to being Canada's all-time goal-scorer:

Mitchell 19

Catliff 18

Bunbury 16

DeRosario 13

Corazzin 11

Pesch 11

McKenna 9

Radzinski 9

Stalteri 7

Gerba 5

DeGuzman 3

Friend 2

Hume 2

First thing I thought was shock that DeGuz only has 3. He sure knows how to score memorable goals.

Good topic though - I would bet that De Rosario will be the all time leader easily before he is done unless he suffers a major injury. He is close enough to home to make every game and he never turns down a call.

If we make The Hex we'll have 16 matches over the next year and a half not including the warm up round against Saint Vincent & The Grenadines. Maybe add the odd friendly against this or that minnow in that same time period and for us at least, that is a Hell of a lot of football with almost all of it CONCACAF based. Great for the MLS players, not so great for the UEFA crew.

Still, I don't know. It's going to be tough catching Mitch given the quality and seriousness of the opposition we'll be seeing during those matches. No friendly kick abouts against Bermuda here.

6 international goals won't be easy for sure, CONCACAF has gotten better. I can see him playing until the next cycle when he's 34. With 2 Gold Cups, 2 qualifying campaigns and friendlies he will hit 70 caps if that happens. Way more if they take honors in any of those 4 tourneys and get a taste of the Confederations/Copa America/World Cup (we can dream right?) or even as you say the hex. If he was a Jaime Peters type with a game totally built on pace I'd be skeptical but his game will hold up even if he slows a bit with that shot.

He's scored in 28% of his starts. If he hits 70 caps his rate could drop down to 25% over the last 24 games and he could still pull it off.

Over the 2 game series against St Vincent, I'm expecting Canada to score no less than 6-8 goals. Plus we have Panama. Derosario could easily have another 2-3 goals by the end of the month.

Then we have the Group of Death with another 6 games. DD could be our greatest scorer without even making the Hex.

Over the 2 game series against St Vincent, I'm expecting Canada to score no less than 6-8 goals.

St. VAG is NOT going to be a walk in the park, we need to respect them. I'm expecting no more than 3-4 goals against them over the 2 leg series.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

St. VAG is NOT going to be a walk in the park, we need to respect them. I'm expecting no more than 3-4 goals against them over the 2 leg series.

A wager it is !

If we score 3-4 over two legs, I owe you a beer.

If we score 6-8, you owe me a beer.

You know, I don't think the stats on the CSA page are accurate. I remember about 7-8 years ago, looking up our statistics, and Mitchell/Catliff were tied at the top of all-time goalscoring list -- ring a bell for anyone else?

Either Mitchell came out of retirement when we weren't looking and nabbed one, or (as I'm certain) there's a mistake somewhere. I've tried to keep updated stats at the Wikipedia records page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men%27s_national_soccer_team_records#Top_goalscorers

The RSSSF (generally considered the holy grail of soccer stats) has the two tied at 19:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/can-recintlp.html

A while ago I updated the Canadian records on Wiki to RSSSF's numbers and have been updating for every game since.

I think at some point, Wiki had the wrong numbers, and the CSA updated its site accordingly, or vice versa. To be honest, I trust the RSSSF over the CSA on these matters.

A wager it is !

If we score 3-4 over two legs, I owe you a beer.

If we score 6-8, you owe me a beer.

And if we score 5, you both owe me one. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

You know, I don't think the stats on the CSA page are accurate. I remember about 7-8 years ago, looking up our statistics, and Mitchell/Catliff were tied at the top of all-time goalscoring list -- ring a bell for anyone else?

Yeah, they were listed as tied. I have a PDF file from the CSA dated March 26, 2005, and they both have 19. So were they right then, or are they right now?

I too remember that. Very odd.

My original theory was that someone disputed one of Catliff's goals and adjusted the Wiki entry, and that someone at the CSA in their infinite wisdom adjusted their stats to reflect that. We need to get to the bottom of this.

I received a response from Richard Scott of the CSA, and these are the official tallies. He states that he is not sure how Catliff came to 19 in the past, but after reviewing A matches, he indeed has 18:

CANADA GOALS/BUTS

Most goals scored / Le plus de buts marqués

Mitchell, Dale 19

Catliff, John 18

Bunbury, Alex 16

De Rosario, Dwayne 13

Vrablic, Igor 12

Corazzin, Carlo 11

Peschisolido, Paul 10

McKenna, Kevin 9

Radzinski, Tomasz 9

Stalteri, Paul 7

Brennan, Jim 6

Parsons, Buzz 6

Bridge, Ian 5

Gerba, Ali 5

Miller, Colin 5

Pakos, George 5

Stojanovic, Mike 5

I received a response from Richard Scott of the CSA, and these are the official tallies. He states that he is not sure how Catliff came to 19 in the past, but after reviewing A matches, he indeed has 18:

CANADA GOALS/BUTS

Most goals scored / Le plus de buts marqués

Mitchell, Dale 19

Catliff, John 18

Bunbury, Alex 16

De Rosario, Dwayne 13

Vrablic, Igor 12

Corazzin, Carlo 11

Peschisolido, Paul 10

McKenna, Kevin 9

Radzinski, Tomasz 9

Stalteri, Paul 7

Brennan, Jim 6

Parsons, Buzz 6

Bridge, Ian 5

Gerba, Ali 5

Miller, Colin 5

Pakos, George 5

Stojanovic, Mike 5

OK, wtf? I'm using the stats on the CSA site:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/roster.asp?sort=11d⊂=3

to update Wiki, and now it has Pesch and Corazzin tied at 11. The numbers you just posted have Pesch at 10, and thats how I always remembered it too. It also has Les Parsons at 6, where he's at 7 on the CSA's page. I can't believe this is even an issue in a developed country, that for years our national association had completely incorrect info on their website's official records (and effectively just admitted it), and that these discrepancies are STILL a common problem.

Well heres a sh*t kicker. Ready?? The CSA site has Canada losing 3-2 against Japan in the confederations cup. Click on the link for that game, it brings you to a report stating we lost 3-0 at the top (we did lose 3-0). Then click on Tam Nsaliwa. Apparently he scored in that game which we lost 3-0. After a quick check, Corazzin also scored in that game which we lost 3-0.

EDIT: On Carlo, its still correct that he has 11 goals. That phantom goal brings the total to the incorrect 12.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Well heres a sh*t kicker. Ready?? The CSA site has Canada losing 3-2 against Japan in the confederations cup. Click on the link for that game, it brings you to a report stating we lost 3-0 at the top (we did lose 3-0). Then click on Tam Nsaliwa. Apparently he scored in that game which we lost 3-0. After a quick check, Corazzin also scored in that game which we lost 3-0.

EDIT: On Carlo, its still correct that he has 11 goals. That phantom goal brings the total to the incorrect 12.

f*cking ridiculous. You know, at the end of summer when I have a few days off work before school starts again I'd be happy to sit down and fix the stats on that web page going through all the old internationals, if only to have correct statistics for the national football team of CANADA, a developed nation where this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Though God forbid the CSA's website reflects reality in any way.

I remember looking at one match I can not recall which game it was. I remember it must have been in the last decade. I was doing some research anyways I am certain on one match result we played only ten players.

• 2 weeks later...

Mitchell 19

Catliff 18

Bunbury 16

DeRosario 15

Corazzin 11

Pesch 11

McKenna 9

Radzinski 9

Stalteri 7

Gerba 9

DeGuzman 3

Friend 2

Hume 2

Changed those for you. Also Hutchinson has 3 goals for us. CSA says he only has two. I remember he scored last cycle against Honduras, gold cup 05 (i think) against Cuba which was a rocket shot and also he scored last March against Bermuda. Im pretty sure the CSA left out his Cuba goal.

Heres the all time cap leaders:

Samuel 82

Watson 78

Hooper 67

Stalteri 67

Bunbury 64

Dasovic 63

Miller 61

Sweeney 61

Corazzin 59

Forrest 56

Mitchell 55