Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

The Ref

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So can one of you guys not take some photos of this house and share them ?

I mean if its a beach front house you can just walk the beach and get a pict can you not ?

That would let people judge the house based on our own modest bungalows, and walk up apartments.

I would love to see Kerfoots tax docs re is income on the house and its expenses, I suspect the loss on rental more then recoups the low market rental rate, indeed one wonders if the kickback from the federal government on operational losses a landlord dont provide more cash flow for Kerfoot. I am assuming he is renting the house as individual not through a shell corporation, so the loss on rental comes of his taxable income.

Whats the scoop Richard ?

The scoop is that Even Pellerud's personal affairs are none of our business. You have no more right to see his tax return than you have to see mine and if you want to look at the residence he is using instal Google Earth. It is a perfectly ordinary if rather tired West Vancouver home which like all West Vancouver properties including my former property (which has tripled in value in five years) has escalated in nominal market value more than any other homes in Metro Vancouver. Even my current non-West Van home has more than doubled in assessed value during that time. Pellerud can hardly be held accountable for that and he certainly will not benefit personally from the capital appreciation. Eat your hearts out.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Kerfoot Funding - "nothing has been made public" does this sound positive? Surely funding for the betterment of sport per se would not be results dependent. If the funding were to continue, now would seem like the best time for an announcement no matter how the team does. If they don't do well and the funding is cut, well that will could look ---- lets just say, not very good.

^ Announcements of any arrangements should there be any, I am sure will be made when it suits all concerned parties and not before. I certainly would expect all parties to keep any discussions confidential until agreement is reached. It is highly unlikely and would not be appropriate for anybody to make any information known until a deal, if there is to be one, is finalised. You might think now is the best time for an announcement but regrettably that decision is not yours to make. It will be made by others who are in a much better position to make the proper judgement call than are any of us here, even you.

Superfan, you are unhappy that no announcement about Kerfoot funding has been made now, a time you consider 'the best time'. I'll wager however that had an announcement been made now you would be complaining the timing was not appropriate for some reason or another. Judging from your posting record you and your likeminded buddies will find fault no matter what. Were I a betting man I would put money on it!

I haven't heard anything about continued funding one way or other another. The funding was for Pellerud's residency camp, and with no Pellerud and no major tournaments for a while, where does that leave us?

The one thing I do especially like about the residency funding is that it is a nice way to get around NCAA restrictions. Players are getting paid full-time like professionals, but because it is national team, they got to keep their amature status and don't jeapordize their NCAA eligibility. It would be good for the younger players if there was some way to keep that going.

As for Pellerud's rental agreement, it occurs to me that this sort of thing happens quite a lot in West Vancouver. Many West Van property owners don't have the time or patience to play landlord. Million dollar homes sit empty year round, while sweet-heart deals are pretty common. It's like a cross between renting and house sitting. I could rattle off many examples. I myself lived rent free in a million-dollar West Van house for nearly a year because the friend-of-my-dad's owner couldn't decide what to do with the property, and just wanted somebody there to make sure newspapers didn't pile up (this guys is a very very shrewd businessman but renting property is not his business). In fact I got a call just last week from somebody asking around friends and family looking for a downstairs tenant for a multi-million dollar West Van home at a big discount, just so she can have somebody around to feed her fish when she is away. West Van is a weird place.

^ Having owned property and lived there myself for many years I can vouch for what Alan says. I suspect Kerfoot would have been happy to have his otherwise vacant house occupied by Pellerud for free but even the current arrangement which is not unusual for the area has raised the ire of some folks here. At least it helps somewhat offset the exhorbitant West Van property taxes ;). Many senior executives receive housing subsidies from their employers as part of their remuneration package, I did in years gone by, why not the head of the WNT program?

Alan makes a very good point on the residency funding structure which I think a lot of folks have glossed over. The structure considered NCAA restrictions on being a amateur.

Many of the players are still in university & when a lot of us here think they get a training break a lot of the players head back to university to get caught up. JAR as an example has been doing correspondence for years now as she puts everything into her soccer which we all know has many fronts to it. When on the road, she is usually studying when the players get time off.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The scoop is that Even Pellerud's personal affairs are none of our business. You have no more right to see his tax return than you have to see mine and if you want to look at the residence he is using instal Google Earth. It is a perfectly ordinary if rather tired West Vancouver home which like all West Vancouver properties including my former property (which has tripled in value in five years) has escalated in nominal market value more than any other homes in Metro Vancouver. Even my current non-West Van home has more than doubled in assessed value during that time. Pellerud can hardly be held accountable for that and he certainly will not benefit personally from the capital appreciation. Eat your hearts out.

Google Earth now installed care to provide the street address ? ...

PS i said i would love to see Kerfoots return not Peleruds, and when you hold a public position in this modern world your personal affairs are indeed Public, a certain Quebec based Minister found that out ...as do mayors and others in the public eye...heck even the Presidents of National Sport organisations are subject to oversite on personal affairs.. what is it about the guy who runs the Motor Sports body .. that controls F1 ?

Peleruds life style and therefore his personal affairs became grist for the public mill when he signed on ..thats how it is Richard... numerous examples exist .. right or wrong .. did you not have UBC swim coach who had a problem with athelete who was a complaining about him.. all unfounded of course and later proven so even after he was hung out to dry by the West Coast elite running UBC.... but the point is when you are in a position of public trust your up for scrutiny.

Are your activitys in BC soccer not under the microscope of opinion in your province Richard..folks having opinions about you and multiple involments, and wondering about your personal activitys ?

In any case would love the address this Google Earth is pretty cool....I can see where i am on the beach.. in Brasil.

I don't think head coach of the Canadian women's soccer team ranks anywhere near a Quebec provincial government minister ( a political post is quite different anyway) or the head of Formula One Racing in terms of public profile or relevance and I have little doubt Even Pellerud himself would agree with that. Pellerud's tax return and where he lives is his entirely business and none of yours or mine or anybody else except Revenue Canada.

With the kind of attitude you have displayed you can forget getting any assistance from me to find where he lives, you'll have to rely on somebody else.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't think head coach of the Canadian women's soccer team ranks anywhere near a Quebec provincial government minister ( a political post is quite different anyway) or the head of Formula One Racing in terms of public profile or relevance and I have little doubt Even Pellerud himself would agree with that. Pellerud's tax return and where he lives is his entirely business and none of yours or mine or anybody else except Revenue Canada.

With the kind of attitude you have displayed you can forget getting any assistance from me to find where he lives, you'll have to rely on somebody else.

Richard the facts man.. again wrong with your facts..the Minister is federal minister representing a riding in Quebec.. not a Quebec provincial minister and for the second time I did not say i wanted to see Peleruds tax return. Its Kerfoots that of interest how he writes of the house costs against his personal incomes ... and therefore how much of a public subsidy kicks back to Kerfoot.

As to your not wanting to help.. well frankly its been clear for a long time your not a very helpfull guy concerning Canadian soccer. You were improving but you seem to have lapsed back into a deep funk, perhaps your a bit concerned about the impending powershift of Canadian soccer from the West Coast into Quebec.... of course you should be, a strong fan showing in Montreal in sparkling new stadia, might hurt Vancouvers status.

I am also pretty sure any new residency program if there is to be one will need to be in city with a full set of services in the french language, colleges, universitys .. hospital services. That leaves Vancouver out and brings the residency and national teams back into the east.

Only two citys / regions can provide such a coverage, Montreal and Ottawa. On balance because of living costs and especially for the women's program, Montreal stands out as number one ... on any logical criteria, low housing costs, cheap daycare, education oppourtunitys, vibrant and diverse soccer community.

In any case Richard once again you have be stellar, thanks for your non-help.

England didn't qualify for Euro 2008 and France's performance was very poor. So French and English are out as football languages. I say set up a residency camp in either Portugal or Spain because the have the Languages that produce excellent football players.

Get Real. Forget about the language and concentrate on the sport.

What is the average age of Canadian Players? How many are playing NCAA Div 1 soccer? My niece played at Florida State this past year and they had several National team players from Japan, Germany and I believe Finland on their squad which finished second to Southern Cal. Do you really think the women's pro leagues will be able to support large numbers of Canadian players with a living wage?

I think all of us would agree that where the NT's set up their programs is their choice. I've never understood this West vs Centro or East vs Centro issue but then again it's the same in Canadian politics.

As much as I'd like to see all the players all over in Europe in a Pro league, the NA model for NT Women's Programs will be around for a while until the WP starts to mirror the men's.

Vic is right when the ladies are pro traveling cost will be a big factor as the players will be hopefully in Europe. Euro based Pro Player traveling costs & insurance w/ the Men's Program NT is one of the biggest costs they have in their program. The current WP doesn't have that cost & it's the same for the US WNT Program. No players offshore is one of the reasons the Canadian & USA WP's went w/ residency. The USA WNT has done 7+ residency programs but they have the $

Trillium: "the Minister is federal minister representing a riding in Quebec"

Makes my point even stronger and I am not sure why you believe I owe you anything, least of all support to further denigrate the WNT head coach and Greg Kerfoot, one of the greatest benefactors soccer has ever had in Canada.

Strange that you should believe the operator of www.bcsoccerweb.com does nothing for Canadian soccer either but I guess it takes all types...

The NA model ends this year in the U.S.

No major tournament for the next 3 years.

Three year's of the free market will sort out the next Canadian iteration, as it should. It's camps in pro windows from here. Don't care where they run. Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, Los Angeles, Texas, Florida, Honululu, Cyprus. Turf is cheap now so I imagine it will depend on travel and location costs.

NA Model in my other thread -

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16003

I really wonder how soon a real women's pro league will take hold & pay enough to get NA players to not go to the NCAA for an education. IMO this will be one of the biggest pitfalls of the new NA pathway for women. My thinking is that most women will still want a university degree as soccer as a business & industry will be time sensative or limited in many ways for the players when compared to Europe.

Note that the WSPL is there to give US players a 1st shot.

The NCAA will still exist as a feeder for the WPSL as players can't be pro & do NCAA at the sametime.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

England didn't qualify for Euro 2008 and France's performance was very poor. So French and English are out as football languages. I say set up a residency camp in either Portugal or Spain because the have the Languages that produce excellent football players.

Get Real. Forget about the language and concentrate on the sport.

Big shock Terpfan.. we are a country that on the federal level is bilingual, the CSA operates under federal charter as a non-profit entity. The CSA also has to show it is providing a level of service in both languages..hence a bilingual web presence etc.

Language and access to services in both languages by the CSA is clearly a mandatory requirement for a National Sport Organisation.

The simple fact is Vancouver does not stack up as location for a National Team Program, its wrong geographically ... and sorry playing on rain soaked civic park space for training does not match up to playing in a enclosed Dome as is possible in Ottawa or Montreal .. even in Toronto, each of those citys have a greater level of full services to potentional National Team Players.

BMO was built with concept to place the national team there, its time the CSA moved out of the isolation of Vancouver and become a heck of a lot more visible in the East, for reasons of marketing, being athelete centered, and cost factors which are made worse by being in Vancouver.

Heck the Men's team it talking as if they really want Saputo stadium to be the local of choice, and thats after one game in the rain.

The current WNT program makes sense when the $ involved is considered & the opportunity to do a all season residency. Also, travel to the Pacific Rim is important w/ this program. As discussed the next WP could look completely different depending on $

NT location will always have to do w/ $. Presently one of the big expenses they are avoiding is having to relocate the coaches & team officials who in most cases in the WP aren't fully paid except maybe the WNT Seniors.

IMO BMO was a brain fart for the CSA due to the U20's.

Fields for the WNT in Van haven't been a big issue. The team's manager has a long list of youth clubs in Metro Van who help the WNT w/ fields. They have lots to choose from whether it's sand celled or Field Turf. It's great PR to have the WNT visit a local club. Remember the NT team doesn't have a lot of $ & if they can get freebies on fields, the money goes back into the team.

One thing we have to remember about Saputo type fiels is they are really expensive & can't be used all the time due to rest time. Most Pro clubs have 1-2 spare grass fields they are growing so if there is a problem w/ the stadia the grass can be replaced. W/ Saputo that would be a huge expense for them that someone would have to pay for if the NT programs were centered there. Heck even Swangard is going to be replaced w/ Field Turf as it is cost effective.

Saputo Stadium pitch is beautiful right now and so it should be, it is brand new and hardly ever used. If the Impact can limit use of the field to two or three games a week then it will likely stay that way but already the grass in front of the goals is showing heavy wear. Few facilities in Canada can sustain such a low level of usage however. Even little used Commonwealth stadium needs a new pitch every year.

Well Trillium should 25 % of the players be required to be a certain ethnic group or should the players be picked by their skill and fitness levels? There is enough politics in the sport already with each Provincial association having a say. If the best players all speak French or Ukranian or whatever but hold Canadian citizenship then pick them.

Archived