Who's your Tip for Euro 2008?

Desigol

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Let me Start:

Holland.

They are up there for me. But I think the loss of Seedorf will hurt. A bit of experience in that midfield. If I had to bet right now, I'd put my money on Spain with Holland close behind.

I don't think it will be one of the usual European heavyweights (Italy, Germany, France).

Spain will finally copme through after so many duds. Then, Italy, Germany, France.

I think Holland has lost a lot of steel and team spirit over the past few years, though they have some talented individuals.

As a darkhorse, Poland.

Guest Jeffery S.

Funny ads on Spanish tv about "Cuartos", quarter-finals, the great Spanish obstacle.

The advantage this year is that I don't think the team will be tired at all, and many players have had poor years, meaning desire to do something bigger in the Eurocup.

I think Germany will take it.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Good point. I still pick Italy. World Champions deserve the title of tournament favourites.

I'm cheering for Italy so I would love to see them win, but objectively, I just don't see that happening. They don't seem to have that hunger that they did prior to World Cup 06. Two years ago they had that us against the world mentality. Everybody was talking about calciopoli and I think people are underestimating the effect that Gianluca Pessotto's suicide attempt had in bringing that team together.

I know that Totti and Nesta didn't have a huge impact at the World Cup but having players of that calibre retire can only hurt your depth. I think Materazzi is a huge step down in central defense and having him start at that position for the duration of the tournament is asking for at least one penalty or red card against. Combine all of this with Italy being in the group of death and they realistically might not get out of the first round.

Personally, I see this tournament as a changing of the guard for the Azzurri. If they can incorporate some of the young talent like

Aquilani and Cassano with the "this is our last chance" oldtimers like Del Piero they might have enough urgency to get the team deep into the tournament. Plus, getting some of the younger players into the team now will set them up for 2010.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Spaulding

Czech Republic: They have a relatively easy path through the quarter finals and they handled Germany pretty well in the qualifiers.

IIRC, Germany fielded a second-string side for that match. In the match that counted between the two, Germany beat the Czechs 2-1 in Prague.

I'm going to predict a Germany x Spain final. Before I was thinking Portugal, but Ronaldo seems to have run out of gas.

Portugal - they have the best midfield in Europe -

Ronaldo, Quaresma, Deco, Simao, Nani, Veloso.

If not the Portugal, as much as it hurts to say it, Italy.

If Italy play the way they played Portugal a few months back then they will be tough to beat.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Portugal - they have the best midfield in Europe -

Ronaldo, Quaresma, Deco, Simao, Nani, Veloso.

If not the Portugal, as much as it hurts to say it, Italy.

If Italy play the way they played Portugal a few months back then they will be tough to beat.

Your midfield is scary good but you guys are still missing a keeper and a striker.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

The golden Boot winner of 2007-2008 can play at striker if need be.

Now the keeper, who knows. In Germany he was the second best of the tournament

True, but with Ronaldo at striker it's not the best midfield anymore (Spain). Can't have it both ways. ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

True, but with Ronaldo at striker it's not the best midfield anymore (Spain). Can't have it both ways. ;)

Xavi is better than the Portugal midfield combined. Not one vs five of course, but in pure value on the pitch. Add Iniesta and the Portugues midfield is a moot point. It is easier to hold C Ronaldo in what he does than hold back Xavi from doing what he does.

Still think it will be Germany, they had a bad year in clubs so that means typically a reaction with the national team, they'll be rested, they don't have the pressure like at the WC, they will have a lot of fan support. And they have talent in every part of the field, though perhaps the keeping is a bit uncertain this year with Lehman not playing and Hildebrand shaky at times, my only real doubt.

Suspect the champion with be one of Spain, Italy, Germany and Portugal.

I don't see the Dutch doing much in this tournament but I suppose they could surprise. They don't have the same elite talent of the past nor do they have the depth. I fear they may be about to go through a lean period.

Archived