2008 Annual General Meeting press conference

JB_Tito

2008 Annual General Meeting press conference

Soccer fans, members and media can watch the press conference from St. John’s, NL. The webcast features new Canadian Soccer Association president Dominic Maestracci, the general secretary Peter Montopoli, the men’s national-team head coach Dale Mitchell, and the Newfoundland Labrador Soccer Association president Doug Redmond.

- The new president is Dominic Maestracci (four-year term)

- The Association adopts the new strategic plan, enacts more changes to its governance and by-laws, and reviews the long-term player development plan

- Financial statements are posted for the Canadian Soccer Association (2007) and the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 (2004-2007)

- Head coach Dale Mitchell speaks about Canada's men's national team schedule for 2008

- The 2008 Association award winners are recognized - the President's Award, the Award of Merit, the Ray Morgan Memorial Award and the International Achievement Award

- The Canadian Soccer Association's vision en route to its 100th anniversary in 2012

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3158

Press Conference webcast :

http://www.ssncanada.ca/

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

When did this happen? And could you summarise for me as 1) I don't understand french and 2) I don't feel like watching it for 40 minutes.

They translated most of the French stuff. Mitchell talked a lot of typical interview BS. Not too much else really interested me.

"I don't feel like watching it for 40 minutes."

Why then would you expect anybody else to feel like watching it for 40 minutes then take yet more time to explain it to you because you couldn't be bothered to do it yourself. Sheesh!.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

"I don't feel like watching it for 40 minutes."

Why then would you expect anybody else to feel like watching it for 40 minutes then take yet more time to explain it to you because you couldn't be bothered to do it yourself. Sheesh!.

I'm sorry, was there any reason for your post other than an attempt at belittlement? Forgive me for hoping that someone else watched it when I didn't want to.

^ I think you got my point without my having to explain it any further and if you didn't and you don't realise that you laid yourseld wide open to this kind of comeback then you have an even bigger problem that simple laziness and a desire to have other people do for you what you can't be bothered to do for yourself.

I have to say I think there needs to be a little bit more organization in these press conferences. Not that I'm not used to an unorganized CSA, but when I want to understand something in French I need to really focus, and its a bit frustrating when I'm trying to focus purely on understanding what is being said for ten minutes, and then it is translated. Then later they start speaking in French again and I just ignore it, then all of the sudden they move on to the next topic without translating. I don't care which way they do it but I would have preferred it if they stuck with one system.

If you want clarity - listen and watch the webcast

My french is far worse than Maestracci's english so I'm not going to point fingers, but I do find the man's english to be difficult to follow.

my .02 is we've still got a boat with all the oars on the one side of the boat and the coxswain chair remains empty!

We're stuck with Dom Maestracci as President for 4 years; and Rob Newman, formerly a Director-At-Large (also former Prez of Saskatchewan Soccer) is the new VP, both were acclaimed to their respective positions.

The only election was for Director-At-Large, contested by Francis Millien (Head of the Montreal U20 Committee, involved with the Impact and a Maestracci backer) and Steve Dalziel (former president of Soccer Nova Scotia). I have no idea who won. There was no mention and I have not yet gone through all of my emails.

On the webcast, a quick summary

Maestracci comments:

confirmed new VP, Rob Newman, as chair of governance portfolio, taking over for Dom. VP Montagliani retains the National team portfolio. And yesterday, the board adopted a long term plan (Wellness) and will look to implement a strategic plan which is not yet complete.

Montopoli's comments, more about listing recent successes:

TD & GS positions appointed;

the France agreement with Quebec soccer federation;

Agreement between CSA the Whitecaps, TFC & Impact;

Not since 84 has a Canadian team qualified for the Olympics;

A flury of international games have been confirmed;

Financial statements for u20 WC finalized - no loss but no profit

u20 = $259 million economic impact - single sport record in Canada

u20 = 1,195,000 paid spectators a FIFA & Cdn single sport record

u20 = 469 million TV viewers world wide - angus reid poll, +8% increase in interest in soccer

Mitchell's comments:

respectable results earned back in 1986;

There are many reasons for not qualifying since 1986, one is CONCACAF has changed since 86 (specifically fitness & quality players);

Currently, most players now are professionals, back then, only 1;

Preparation - expect Brazil's A squad, they have qualifying games too;

Panama, an up and coming CONCACAF team;

Home support, players hope to be well supported by Canadians on home soil.

Redmond's comments (Prez of NFLD soccer):

Working towards senior men's domestic championships in October

Pitched NFLD as an edge for qualifying (King George field)

at about the 20 minute mark - 5 questions were culled from a Canada wide call for questions. They were read by Richard Scott and Mr. Maestracci answered them.

Again, I'm sorry if my notes don't make sense, I'm tired, it's late and Maestracci's English, ..... well......

if you want clarity - listen to the clip

Q1) Biggest challenges - long and short term, facing Canadian soccer, including budgetary problems, namely funding our national teams?

A1)A new strategic plan is in place, not the final verson yet - perhaps in September or October, implement the plan and allow the CSA to have a strategy to know where its going and obtain their objectives.

Q2) More players in MLS?

A2) Yes. 35 CONCACAF nations, Canada doesn't have a professoinal league and this is needed. Work hard over next 10-20 years to develop a Cdn professonal league. Need at least 6/7 men's/womens domestic pro teams.

Right now most players are in Europe, except 1 or 2 players.

Q3) Female Committee, as per constitution, has not been functioning for many years - what's developing amongst our Bd of Directors and Executive for females.

A3) He butchered this one. He danced around the gender equity question but I think he tried to tie success in the women's program to the success of the MNT where the big money is (very sorry but he lost me on this one).

Q4) Olympics - Women in, and Men eliminated by a better prepared US team. What changes in preparation will occur ion the future?

A4) The strategic plan says play more international games because if our National teams don't compete at the international level they won't be well prepared to compete at that level. To perform at the international level there must be a development plan, so youth teams require more money which they didn't get this year. More money means more games to enable our teams to compete in CONCACAF and FIFA.

Q5) What is the vision of the CSA up to 2012?

A5) 2012 - Canada will qualify for each world cup, men & women

CSA will host a FIFA event, perhaps's women's wc - FIFA have made it very clear that without a men's pro league, hosting men's WC not possible. 1 million members by then. Will have more money as strategic plan reflects this need. A more professional set-up, hard to compare Canada to say France but unlike France, Canada has no TV rights, we get feeds and in Canada we lack transfer fees. So a more professoinal set-up is needed. Also a need to increase money from sponsorship - Peter knows how to do this.

If I needed to identify at least one positive, Peter Montopoli will be a better face and voice for the CSA than Maestracci or Linford. However, from what I'm hearing and reading, he has no power or authority as the Board of Directors will continue to make final decisions.

"the general secretary has no power or authority as the Board of Directors will continue to make final decisions"

There's the nub of it. The CSA board of directors continues to control and interfere in the day to day management and operations of the organisation which should be left to the professional employees under a chief executive who is accountable to the board for carrying out (executing) their directions - that's why they are called directors not executives. The role of the board should be to set policy and direction. Without this fundamental change everything will continue as before with soccer in Canada run by amateurs who have divided loyalties to boot.

^ I'm pretty sure they ignored alot of the questions posed to them it seems. I don't care if Dom and Montopoli don't answer my question in public but I expect a reply to my question by email at the very least.

It was nice to see and hear these people talking. Was this Richard everybody kept referring to the famous Richard Scott? I don't know what the attendance was, but throughout the speeches and answers I didn't hear a single applause or attempt to applaud. I thought some part of the speeches deserved a quick applause. As to the contents of Maestracci, the man is putting all his eggs in one basket, that is his Strategic Plan. It it ain't there, it ain't happening. His plan, the same as a budget, is just a tool of control, not the end in itself. Mitchell did a nice recollection of the qualifying in St. John in 1985 but I didn't hear any technical stuff of the present. The questions were a bit lame, but that was to be expected. Was anyone from the CSF there?

Gentlemen it is all about that media. Look what happened here in Toronto. These MLSE guys are extremely powerfull and that was the one that got these yo yo's to convert or else.I knew all along that a very large segment of Torontonians were huge soccer fans.If you go back to my initial comments about the MLSE involvement I made very clear that this was a no brainer.You can have all the plans and budgets but if that media igores you ,you loose.

Just remember that it goes like this,media first and marketing second.

Soccer is a world sport and sofar that media will not give it that treatment.

I gues we could get more media guys at the CSA and even appoint CSA representatives in the various cities.

However,to prove my point the MLSE guys set a blueprint for the success of soccer by having a very powerfull impact on that media.Oh yes they all will fall that won't convert. How can you deny all these great fan pictures, that support by the various groups and the overall registration in Canada. They will loose that war and we will be victorious in our well deserved recognition and than we will be having the effect on the CSA to get more high profile marketing,more dollars and an all around training system that even will put all the other major sports to shame.

Times are changing and the demand for results will force all issues. The funny part is that we have all these young Canadian soccer players who are already putting Canada on that world market ie,Owen,Jonathan and Julian.Yes there are many more.We have the players and the youth,all we need is that recognition and marketing support. Even several new MLS teams in Canada will speed up things. Wait till we have that team in Montreal. These guys and girls will put the Red Patch boys to shame. It will be wild and a huge impact on the sporting scene in North America,

Oh that poor media,will they learn a lesson or quit( i hope).

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Q3) Female Committee, as per constitution, has not been functioning for many years - what's developing amongst our Bd of Directors and Executive for females.

A3) He butchered this one. He danced around the gender equity question but I think he tried to tie success in the women's program to the success of the MNT where the big money is (very sorry but he lost me on this one).

Well he seemed to say .. that they have a woman now on to the board.. then he tried to remember her name and province and got it.. then he seemed to say that will suffice for now until the provinces elect more female presidents, in other words dont expect a gender equity program on the board. What he did not say and appears to not want to say ..is "I as president will find independent woman and men to serve on a Womens ctte to develop the female game and advise the board."

More disturbing was the general failure to say the association would not abandon womens funding as they concentrate on the mens programs which clearly he and the board intend to do over his next four years.

Tough times coming for the womens program unless pressure is put on them.

Oh the major thing is supposed to be a plan ..its not writ yet or a deadline annouced by he will have a strategic plan... ( laughing what a joke that is ).

Same old same old its up to people outside the empty room they did this event in to ..push the game ahead in Canada ..i.e. local clubs, familys who send players away for development ..and those pro clubs who re-invest over time in the game. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan arguably has done more for soccer in Canada in the last five years then any other entity. One of the CSA awards should have gone to the Pension Fund president, a dumb relationship oversite on the part of Peter Montopoli hopefully he will twig to it for next year.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Same old same old its up to people outside the empty room they did this event in to ..push the game ahead in Canada ..i.e. local clubs, familys who send players away for development ..and those pro clubs who re-invest over time in the game. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan arguably has done more for soccer in Canada in the last five years then any other entity. One of the CSA awards should have gone to the Pension Fund president, a dumb relationship oversite on the part of Peter Montopoli hopefully he will twig to it for next year.

Could you kindly expand on the OTPP involvement? Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Could you kindly expand on the OTPP involvement? Thanks.

I'm assuming Trillium meant that since the OTPP is the majority shareholder in MLSE, which put TFC on the map, they've done more for soccer then anybody else has. A bit of an overstatement perhaps. They only care about fattening the teacher's pensions and little else (see the Maple Leafs).

Q5) What is the vision of the CSA up to 2012?

A5) 2012 - Canada will qualify for each world cup, men & women

CSA will host a FIFA event, perhaps's women's wc - FIFA have made it very clear that without a men's pro league, hosting men's WC not possible. 1 million members by then. Will have more money as strategic plan reflects this need. A more professional set-up, hard to compare Canada to say France but unlike France, Canada has no TV rights, we get feeds and in Canada we lack transfer fees. So a more professoinal set-up is needed. Also a need to increase money from sponsorship - Peter knows how to do this.

Finally, an honest piece of self-appraisal from the CSA. Internationally speaking, Canada is nothing more than an amateur soccer nation (one of the few remaining). Wouldn't it be nice if the current regime of spindoctors, in their vision of the CSA up to 2012, could at least takes us to a semi-pro standard. If not, we will have wasted another four years, and my third book will be entitled; "100 YEARS OF FUTILITY, the history of Canadian soccer."

Ref

I heard/read that the web cast was a "closed set" and only select CSA people were in the room.

I also heard that the CSF didn't have anyone formally there, but they did have some "insiders" willing to take notes, ask questions and share some info but the AGM generally seems to be a closed affair.

I tried crashing the party when it was in Niagara Falls (2006) and was denied entry, provincial and national members only, no grassroots.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Ref

I heard/read that the web cast was a "closed set" and only select CSA people were in the room.

I also heard that the CSF didn't have anyone formally there, but they did have some "insiders" willing to take notes, ask questions and share some info but the AGM generally seems to be a closed affair.

I tried crashing the party when it was in Niagara Falls (2006) and was denied entry, provincial and national members only, no grassroots.

Thank you squid2. So it was a totally staged thing, unbelievable. These people are bigger fools than I thought. They have absolutely no credibility. The funny side on this was that even their own CSA guests of stone did not applaud. ja, ja, ja.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Gentlemen it is all about that media. Look what happened here in Toronto. These MLSE guys are extremely powerfull and that was the one that got these yo yo's to convert or else.I knew all along that a very large segment of Torontonians were huge soccer fans.If you go back to my initial comments about the MLSE involvement I made very clear that this was a no brainer.You can have all the plans and budgets but if that media igores you ,you loose.

Just remember that it goes like this,media first and marketing second.

Soccer is a world sport and sofar that media will not give it that treatment.

I gues we could get more media guys at the CSA and even appoint CSA representatives in the various cities.

However,to prove my point the MLSE guys set a blueprint for the success of soccer by having a very powerfull impact on that media.Oh yes they all will fall that won't convert. How can you deny all these great fan pictures, that support by the various groups and the overall registration in Canada. They will loose that war and we will be victorious in our well deserved recognition and than we will be having the effect on the CSA to get more high profile marketing,more dollars and an all around training system that even will put all the other major sports to shame.

Times are changing and the demand for results will force all issues. The funny part is that we have all these young Canadian soccer players who are already putting Canada on that world market ie,Owen,Jonathan and Julian.Yes there are many more.We have the players and the youth,all we need is that recognition and marketing support. Even several new MLS teams in Canada will speed up things. Wait till we have that team in Montreal. These guys and girls will put the Red Patch boys to shame. It will be wild and a huge impact on the sporting scene in North America,

Oh that poor media,will they learn a lesson or quit( i hope).

Quite possibly the most ignorant piece of garbage I've ever read. "Media first and Marketing second." There's a business concept we should all live by. Actually it sounds like Soccer Canada Properties motto...maybe that's why they are in shambles...How about the CSA start playing more matches at home, spending money on adverts on television, in the paper and on the radio, like MLSE have done and excellent job of doing and maybe the crowds will start showing up and thus justifying the media's coverage. The last time I checked the media does not get paid to promote other companies events...they get paid to cover them. MLSE had a strong business plan in place to be successful....You can't ignore 20,000 fans at every home game in any sport...Of course they are going to be covered....because they deserve it! Unfortunately the same can not be said about the CSA.

FYI...Owen and Jonathan are fantastic football players, but they are doing nothing for Canadian soccer...they are doing everything for themselves.

Archived