THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I echo Media Guy's sentiments...I sincerely appreciate your support in buying up the T-Shirts and for wearing Black in general. It was excellent meeting so many of you in person for the first time. I look forward to seeing many of you again at TFC games and future MNT games (hopefully this decade...)

PLEASE...Let's not look at this event as the one and only "protest" we pull off. More is needed. We need to come together, make a decision on the next step and execute it. I have no problem doing the work necessary and I know Media Guy is willing to lend his writing talents. We just need other people to put their two cents in so we can decide what the next move needs to be. There might be some disagreements but let's not allow ourselves to get hung up on petty disagreements. We need to be bold and move forward.

I know we all love our players and our country. As the T-shirts say, Canadian Soccer deserves better than what the CSA has to offer. Let's keep that message out there. There's no guarantees in life but I'm betting things might change if we don't let this little storm blow over.

As for T-Shirt left over, yes, there are some. We have quantities remaining in large, XL and XXL (not too many XXL's though).

I need to go through my inventory and see what the exact quantities are. I will start a thread tonight or tomorrow with accurate numbers. If you want one, I'll gladly mail them out. The price will still be $5.00 + shipping costs.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Ed

No offense to Jimmy B, but the pedigree and proven success of the Academy staff at Toronto FC is seriously lacking comparing them to Niendorf in Vancouver.

Uh... who are the academy staff at Toronto FC?

I don't know much about Mike Matkovich but he was apparently hired to launch the TFC Academy program.

From what I found out on the web, he was director of coaching for the top youth club in the United States. Apparently Chicago Magic were voted #1 three years in a row.

Chicago Magic have produced a few pros, including Quavas Kirk, Ned Grabavoy, Tim Regan, Brad Guzon and Ricardo Clark. Who knows if that means he's as good as the man hired by the Duze to run Vancouver's academy but he's clearly got some experience developing young talent into professionals.

Well done to all of you in TO. Great to hear the media, players etc.. talking about it. Saw lots of black on tv, but didn't hear any mention of it from Gerry. Anyways, congrats guys. I know some of you put a good deal of effort into this and it really showed.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

When did Jimmy say anything about Niendorf or the Whitecaps?

From the news article posted by Winnipeg Fury on page 1 of this thread:

quote:

A black night at BMO

Protest of CSA overshadows draw

By DEAN MCNULTY -- Sun Media

Defender Jim Brennan, who has won 43 caps for Canada, agreed that something has to be done to make it easier for soccer to grow here.

He said that at the very least, control of the country's elite youth soccer programs should be taken out of the hands of the CSA.

"It should be up to the clubs (like Toronto FC) to look after players, not the Canadian Soccer Association," Brennan said. "At the moment things are not going right for (the CSA) and I think TFC, once they get their academy, they can be hands on with players, working with them everyday."

Brennan pointed to the well-travelled road out of Canada to Europe and elsewhere that kids have to take in order to reach the top levels of the sport. He said the first step in fixing the mess will come when TFC, his Major League Soccer club, launches its soccer academy program.

"That's they way it should be done," Brennan said. "That's they way it's done in very other soccer country."

Brennan hopes that if the MLS adds franchises in Montreal and Vancouver, a national system of such academies can be developed.

As you can see, "Jimmy" did not say anything about Niendorf or the Whitecaps (perhaps he should have!). They have started the academy in Vancouver already, with a very competent judge of talent in charge.

I think I read somewhere; sending out the t-shirts to every national team player. Showing them that we support them the players even though we are disgusted with the CSA.

Also, what do you guys think about sending these t-shorts to the Impact, TFC and Whitecaps organizations?

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I think I read somewhere; sending out the t-shirts to every national team player. Showing them that we support them the players even though we are disgusted with the CSA.

Also, what do you guys think about sending these t-shorts to the Impact, TFC and Whitecaps organizations?

VPjr can we do this?I like the idea,i dont know how much would this cost,but I'm sure we can pull this if we want.

SACK THE CSA!!

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

VPjr can we do this?I like the idea,i dont know how much would this cost,but I'm sure we can pull this if we want.

SACK THE CSA!!

Sure...why not. I'm not sure I can afford it but i should not ignore the Canadians playing for TFC, Impact and Whitecaps

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Well, if I had assistance, it would be great. I'll do it regardless. I'll start accumulating the list of people to send the shirts to this weekend.

If you have a paypal account, please post it. If not, and you don't want to bother with setting one up, I have one that I can give you a password for.

One more article about protest.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2007/09/14/fighting-back-in-black/#more-282

Fighting Back in Black

Twenty-one years ago in Mexico, Canada played in their first and only World Cup: three games no goals. Fast forward twenty-one years and even though there has been little success on the pitch, off the pitch things looked like they were turning around.

This summer the country played host to the U-20 World Cup, club teams Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps are all successes at the box office, and finally the country has a National Soccer Stadium built in Toronto. An outsider could be led to believe that soccer was in great shape in Canada, but a Canadian soccer fan knows better.

On August 28th Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) president Colin Linford resigned, a decision that brought Canadian supporters back to reality. The CSA is essentially a federation run by volunteers who oversee a $14-million business. When Linford resigned he said a culture of amateurism prevailed and the only way to save the federation was to disband the CSA.

This leads us to the Canada-Costa Rica friendly at the National Soccer Stadium this week. Canadian national team supporter group, the Voyageurs, began to post on their message board about organizing some kind of protest for the match. The goal was to bring attention to the failings of the CSA yet not take anything away from the team on the pitch.

Slowly other groups began to be involved. Toronto FC supporter groups, U-Sector and Red Patch Boys among others, spread word of a protest. “Black Wednesday” was the name of the action and the goal was to cover the stands in mourning black. The result was hundreds of black T-shirts printed up with the slogan “Support our national teams - Sack the CSA.” The shirts sold for $5, just enough to recoup the cost of production.

The main goal of the protest was to get people talking about reform and in this the supporters can claim Wednesday’s action a success as the protest made news nationwide. Canadian supporters realize the revolution won’t happen overnight but the grassroots passion and desire for change is as strong as ever.

4klwq5c.jpg

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

If you have a paypal account, please post it. If not, and you don't want to bother with setting one up, I have one that I can give you a password for.

My paypal account is my hotmail address

dinorossijr at hotmail dot com

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Late October I am going to Ipswich to see a game. I have been told I will be able to speak with Jason de Vos and maybe Jamie Peters as well. Just sayin, if you want to send me two shirts, not sure what would be cheaper...

My little brain was thinking again. What about sending these t-shirts to

1. The major elite clubs in the country.

2. Major Media outlets whether it be TV or Newspaper. Like Gol TV, Sportsnet, Fox Soccer Canada, maybe TLN, Quebec Soccer, others that I may not be thinking about at the moment.

Also, included in with the t-shirt we could include a letter explaining the Voyageurs position on this issue and ask the club/media/player to join us to help change the current situation in Canada. We already have written much about this. It would be just a question of refining what we have written on this forum already.

MediaGuy: maybe you, or someone else could help with this? As long as we sound professional.

As well, I will try to find something we could use as a base or try writing something up myself. I will post back here.

VPjr: As well do you have an idea what the cost is like to send a package to lets say, Montreal or Vancouver? So we could get an idea of how much this will cost.

What do you guys think?

Why not wait for the next MNT home game and distribute the T's then.

Don't forget about the Canadian boys playing for TFC, or other MLS clubs.

And then there's the WNT upon their return from China; we've certainly got access to that group as they are centred in Vancouver.

Who has reliable/current e-mail access to members of the MNT?

I don't mind kick-n in a few bucks to fund an exercise that gets these T's to our NT players.

I'm purchasing 25 and 20 are going to the very people we're trying to

remove - the Board members, provincial presidents, and the provincial

reps. I might even drop off one each to Linford and Nykamp next time I pass through K-W and Ancaster.

Archived