THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Although I was disappointed by the amount of people that showed up, I was far from disappointed by those that did. We filled the south end, we cheered for Canada in Canada (what a concept) and there is no way that anyone can argue that we were outnumbered by Ticos.

The quantity sucked, but the quality sure as hell didn't.

Oh, and we did it in black. A whole lot of black. There is no way in hell that the CSA didn't notice. And, you know that we tweaked the curiosity of more than a few casual fans as well.

We need to follow up with something to keep the pressure on. But, before we worry about that we should reflect on the fact that we actually pulled this off. Canadians don't protest, you know. Especially Canadian soccer fans. At least they didn't before today.

Awesome!

All together indeed.

Cheers,

Duane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, kudos to all of you--and all of us--who played a role in this. Keep your peckers up, lads! (And lasses. ;))

Yes, we certainly need to think of the next thing. I suspect we've two tasks, essentially: 1) Make sure the CSA moves toward real change 2) Find ways to grow support for our team.

For the first item, I assume the announcement of a new President will spur on our reaction and NEW action.

For the second, we need another game in Toronto or Montreal (even Ottawa). I won't get into my reasons, but they are all practical.

For now, congrats to all supporters, and let's build on this.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Although I was disappointed by the amount of people that showed up, I was far from disappointed by those that did. We filled the south end, we cheered for Canada in Canada (what a concept) and there is no way that anyone can argue that we were outnumbered by Ticos.

One would have thought so as it was so obviously a predominantly Canadian crowd, but sadly Cathal Kelley in the Toronto Star came very close. His article claims that there were nearly as many Tico fans as Canadian fans, which isn't even true even if you were, for some reason, to ignore entire south end

Morgan Campbell of the Star did something similar after the Argentina-Canada U20 friendly & just like now, was the only writer to paint a distorted picture of the crowd, so maybe it's something to do with the Star editorial policy.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

One would have thought so as it was so obviously a predominantly Canadian crowd, but sadly Cathal Kelley in the Toronto Star came very close. His article claims that there were nearly as many Tico fans as Canadian fans, which isn't even true even if you were, for some reason, to ignore entire south end

Morgan Campbell of the Star did something similar after the Argentina-Canada U20 friendly & just like now, was the only writer to paint a distorted picture of the crowd, so maybe it's something to do with the Star editorial policy.

If you take that paragraph out, it's actually a pretty good article.

I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion. At least at the Argentina game the split was likely 1/3, 2/3 for Canada--I could buy that someone would come away with the idea that it was equal.

Last night, however, if Costa Rica at 10% of the crowd I'd be surprised.

Oh well, as I said, overall it's a good article. The way he ripped on Mitchell for refusing to acknowledge the protest and the way he ended the article make up for the little dig about it being half Costa Rica.

And Tomasz Radzinski is, without a doubt, my hero. Someone send him a black t-shirt.

Great job for all those involved. The media really picked up on it, and the stands were definetly black (outside of the Ticos in the middle). We wore black in Winnipeg last night.

Radzinski:

"I think it's great that the fans have a say," a more forthright Tomasz Radzinski said of the fan action. "I think it's the right direction and the guys feel it, but it's still a long way ... If I'm in the stands next time I'm going to wear a black shirt as well."

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Shall we keep wearing black? Kind of unique for a national team ;).

Well we do have a black third jersey. But would we keep wearing black if and when the CSA under goes change? It would certainly set us apart from the other fans, especially when a good number of other teams have red jerseys as well.

And yeah, good on everyone that was out there last night. I just wish there had been some more people yelling in section 105.

Thanks, MediaGuy and VPjr for your efforts last night. We have shown that we can have a voice in the mainstream Canadian media. More than the black, in person, the t-shirts made a big impact. All through the stadium, you could catch those who didn't know about the t-shirts trying to read them and even asking about them. You guys deserve a lot of credit for this effort.

Was at the gaame last night! Wish there were more there but as mentioned, the people in our section were in great voice! Would also like to thank VPjr and all for their hard work! Believe me the black shirts made an impact! So many people who didn't have a shirt stopped us and asked what they were all about, or where they could get one! I noticed pre game the cameras would not focus on our section, yet they continually panned a small section of Ticos waving flags! I haven't had a chance to review the whole match but it looked like more of the same! Did the CSA give Sportsnet a directive on this? For anyone who was skeptical about the protest, I think we made our point loud and clear! Thanks again to all those who put so much work into this! It was truly a great night!

No, Thank You, Sir.

And Thank You to VPjr, Sean Keay and others who took active rolls in this adventure. Outstanding work all around. Never have we seen such a successful and far reaching project. Outstanding.

Which raises the question; any protest tee's left over?

Great Work there. The Supporters section was great.

There was even a mention of Black Wednesday on CBC Newsorld's sports section. So job well done.

It takes a lot to organize stuff like this, so again, Congrats and great job.

The only negative from last night was that the rest of TFC fans didn't come to the game, but even 9000 for an obscure friendly is not horrible.

Who is Dino ?

A black night at BMO

Protest of CSA overshadows draw

By DEAN MCNULTY -- Sun Media

A pair of fans at the Canada/Costa Rica friendly last night show their displeasure with the Canadian Soccer Association. (Sun Media/Dave Thomas)

Canada's national soccer team held Costa Rica to a 1-1 draw last night in a friendly at BMO Field, but the result was secondary to the growing battle over control of the sport's future in this country.

The game, played before a paltry crowd of 9,325, many of whom were glad in black shirts demanding drastic changes in the Canadian Soccer Association's hierarchy, saw Costa Rican forward Victor Nunez score in the 48th minute, followed six minutes later by a goal off the foot of Canada's Dwayne De Rosario.

But it was the in-fighting among CSA executives --which led to the resignation of president Colin Linford last month -- that is causing all parts of the game to suffer.

That's the view of Dino Rossi, co-founder of the Canadian Soccer Supporters United, who organized last night's black shirt protest.

The CSA is without a president (Linford) or a CEO (Fred Nykamp, was hired this past spring, but has not been given the go-ahead to start his job).

"We feel strongly that we must send a message to the CSA that the status quo is no longer acceptable," Rossi said in a statement.

"If they are so blind that they can't see that change is needed, especially changes to the way that elite player development is organized and prioritized, then Canadian soccer will likely be doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future."

Canada is ranked 53rd in the world.

Defender Jim Brennan, who has won 43 caps for Canada, agreed that something has to be done to make it easier for soccer to grow here.

He said that at the very least, control of the country's elite youth soccer programs should be taken out of the hands of the CSA.

"It should be up to the clubs (like Toronto FC) to look after players, not the Canadian Soccer Association," Brennan said. "At the moment things are not going right for (the CSA) and I think TFC, once they get their academy, they can be hands on with players, working with them everyday."

Brennan pointed to the well-travelled road out of Canada to Europe and elsewhere that kids have to take in order to reach the top levels of the sport. He said the first step in fixing the mess will come when TFC, his Major League Soccer club, launches its soccer academy program.

"That's they way it should be done," Brennan said. "That's they way it's done in very other soccer country."

Brennan hopes that if the MLS adds franchises in Montreal and Vancouver, a national system of such academies can be developed.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Great job for all those involved. The media really picked up on it, and the stands were definetly black (outside of the Ticos in the middle). We wore black in Winnipeg last night.

Radzinski:

"I think it's great that the fans have a say," a more forthright Tomasz Radzinski said of the fan action. "I think it's the right direction and the guys feel it, but it's still a long way ... If I'm in the stands next time I'm going to wear a black shirt as well."

Everyone should send their shirts to his club in Greece.....skoda xanthi....

No offense to Jimmy B, but the pedigree and proven success of the Academy staff at Toronto FC is seriously lacking comparing them to Niendorf in Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Who is Dino ?

A black night at BMO

Protest of CSA overshadows draw

By DEAN MCNULTY -- Sun Media

A pair of fans at the Canada/Costa Rica friendly last night show their displeasure with the Canadian Soccer Association. (Sun Media/Dave Thomas)

Canada's national soccer team held Costa Rica to a 1-1 draw last night in a friendly at BMO Field, but the result was secondary to the growing battle over control of the sport's future in this country.

The game, played before a paltry crowd of 9,325, many of whom were glad in black shirts demanding drastic changes in the Canadian Soccer Association's hierarchy, saw Costa Rican forward Victor Nunez score in the 48th minute, followed six minutes later by a goal off the foot of Canada's Dwayne De Rosario.

But it was the in-fighting among CSA executives --which led to the resignation of president Colin Linford last month -- that is causing all parts of the game to suffer.

That's the view of Dino Rossi, co-founder of the Canadian Soccer Supporters United, who organized last night's black shirt protest.

The CSA is without a president (Linford) or a CEO (Fred Nykamp, was hired this past spring, but has not been given the go-ahead to start his job).

"We feel strongly that we must send a message to the CSA that the status quo is no longer acceptable," Rossi said in a statement.

"If they are so blind that they can't see that change is needed, especially changes to the way that elite player development is organized and prioritized, then Canadian soccer will likely be doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future."

Canada is ranked 53rd in the world.

Defender Jim Brennan, who has won 43 caps for Canada, agreed that something has to be done to make it easier for soccer to grow here.

He said that at the very least, control of the country's elite youth soccer programs should be taken out of the hands of the CSA.

"It should be up to the clubs (like Toronto FC) to look after players, not the Canadian Soccer Association," Brennan said. "At the moment things are not going right for (the CSA) and I think TFC, once they get their academy, they can be hands on with players, working with them everyday."

Brennan pointed to the well-travelled road out of Canada to Europe and elsewhere that kids have to take in order to reach the top levels of the sport. He said the first step in fixing the mess will come when TFC, his Major League Soccer club, launches its soccer academy program.

"That's they way it should be done," Brennan said. "That's they way it's done in very other soccer country."

Brennan hopes that if the MLS adds franchises in Montreal and Vancouver, a national system of such academies can be developed.

Dino is VPjr

Archived