Impact TV ratings

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Whats odd about them drawing TFC numbers?

I agree what's so strange about drawing TFC numbers?

What we need is CBC doing Whitecaps. I'd love a late night game on the weekends. ;)

Worth noting, the weather was pretty crappy on that day. Turnout at the stadium, if I recall, was in the 10K range. Which, if I am not mistaken, is lower than the typical crowd from last year.

Few people stay home to park themselves in front of a TV on a typical sunday afternoon summer day. Unless the weather is like it was last Sunday. Therefore, to get a better picture, you will need to average out the whole year.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Whats odd about them drawing TFC numbers?

Because their game is on Radio-Canada and not CBC. Although they are both available country wide, I doubt a lot of English Canada regularly watches French TV.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Because their game is on Radio-Canada and not CBC. Although they are both available country wide, I doubt a lot of English Canada regularly watches French TV.

I don't watch a lot of French TV. But I watched this game, just like I watch TFC games when they are on. In both cases I bet the majority of viewers come from the province each team is based in. Just as many of those in Quebec are interested in the Impact as those in Ontario are of TFC.

I think that's a little too simplistic, there are probably 2 million+ in ontario fairly close to quebec that get a few french channels even if there on an antenna, probably 15 - 20% are bilingual, plus your average soccer viewer would stop for soccer regardless of what language it's in (maybe not so much impact games but I'd be willing to bet alot of ontarians caught the France vs Mexico game last year on TV5).

Of course. I'm not claiming otherwise. I'm just saying a majority of the Impacts viewers are from Quebec, the majority of TFC's is Ontario. The rest is just gravy.

I'm just suprised that some people are amazed that the impact could draw so many viewers.

Go back to when the Expos were broadcasting games on Radio-Canada. They were an alternative to the suffocating coverage of the Blue Jays and people didn't mind the french-language braodcast as the Expos were an alternative.

Good numbers for the Impact, even though it's far more regional. Should put TFC to shame.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

A poster on Impact Soccer mentionned 114000 viewers for the game against Miami. It would be nice to compare these numbers with last year numbers on RDS.

La Presse is reporting an average of 129,000 during the game.

A few years ago, I was hearing some ridiculous numbers like 15,000 on RDS.

See how things work out for the rating come Friday. Can't get home in time to catch the Canada friendly live so I'll tape that one and watch and see how the 'Caps make out with their visit to Montreal live. There is however going to be a broadcast overlap.

Not sure how much that'll hurt the Impact numbers but it'll be interesting to see. Wouldn't think it (the Canada friendly) would have that much real effect and I expect the 'Caps are a more desirable viewing than Miami, but you never know.

The numbers are a little bit higher than I would have thought, but I'm not complaining in the slightest I think that's great. The English-language market for CBC is obviously greater than the French-language market for Radio-Canada, but I'm wondering as well if the french-language market has fewer options to choose from than the English Canada one. This has been one of the reasons why overall viewing figures in the UK have gone down in recent years - in the days when they just had 3 or 4 stations some of their top programmes would get upwards of 18 million viewers. Nowadays with a lot more channels to choose from over there the top programmes get about half that.

Archived