Amado Guevara to TFC

jpg75

Terrible trade, Chivas gave up a Designated player slot to get him and now are dumping him after more problems with his on-field antics in their last game. Hopefully Mo knows how to handle him.

don't know a thing about guevara but I'm really disappointed to see Nagamura go, not that he's all that great a player at the moment but I always thought he was still going to develope into a top rate player.

Guevara played like crap last year for Mo in New York and complained when things weren't going well.

His trade this time is due to his complaints after being pulled out of the game against LA last weekend. Preki met with the FO and got him canned.

Also, Nagamura was basically a rental for this year. He turns 25 next season and will count as an SI. So we got a big question mark with huge upside (and downside -> locker room cancer) for a guy who probably won't be here next year.

I'm not all that miffed about losing Nagamura - I felt that his midfield position was one that could be upgraded, including potentially by Canadians (calling Grande, come in Sandro Grande). I will keep an open mind about Guevara until I see him play.

A couple of YouTube clips of Guevara:

Apparently Ronnie O'Brien will be taking Nagamura's spot at right mid, so who comes off for Guevara? I don't think it'll be Carl Robinson. The other central midfielder in the second KC game was Maurice Edu, but I thought that Edu was excellent in his defensive role and I think it would be a big mistake to weaken our already awful defence by dropping Edu for a purely offensive player like Guevara. I therefore wonder if Eskandarian will be the man who is dropped from the starting 11? Say a 4-5-1 with Guevarra in the hole behind Dichio, with O'Brien, Welsh and Robinson free to go forward as well and Edu in the holding role?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm not all that miffed about losing Nagamura - I felt that his midfield position was one that could be upgraded, including potentially by Canadians (calling Grande, come in Sandro Grande). I will keep an open mind about Guevara until I see him play.

OMG. Is this the same Guevara that played for Honduras against us?

As for Nagamura, well, it wasn't a good fit ... I have mega doubts

about some of Mo's choices (Welsh, Buddle, Nagamura, etc.). And yes,

Grande would be grand (no pun intended) for TFC.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Also, Nagamura was basically a rental for this year. He turns 25 next season and will count as an SI. So we got a big question mark with huge upside (and downside -> locker room cancer) for a guy who probably won't be here next year.

That's a great point, didn't know he was only on for a year so it makes alot of sense now, it'd be a hell of lot worse to end up losing him for nothing.

quote:Originally posted by Cristiano11

I have a REALLY bad feeling about this. Guevara seems to be a player with issues. I'm certain this is gonna turn into yet another player not wanting to be in Toronto, therefore another player we do not need.

I beg to differ. When this guy goes back to Honduras, he always gets shot at. He should be right at home in TO. :)

quote:Originally posted by redhat

OMG. Is this the same Guevara that played for Honduras against us?

Amado Guevara has 92 caps and 18 goals for Honduras. I would say that yes, he is the same Guevara. But that is just a guess.;)

The speculation (and it seems reasonable) is that the trade is being delayed until after Guevara sits out his one game suspension with Chivas this weekend. If the trade was completed now, he'd have to sit out Toronto FC's May 12 match against Chicago.

According to Gerry Dobson, he's not coming:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/05/03/honduran_balks_at_tfc/

Honduran balks at TFC

Contrary to reports coming from Los Angeles, petulant Honduran star Amado Guevara will not be coming to Toronto FC.

Not that Mo Johnston didn't want him. In fact, the trade was done: Guevara to Toronto for midfielder Paulo Nagamura and a draft choice.

But at the last minute Guevara balked; he's decided he no longer likes MLS at all and is heading back to his native Honduras. Guevara has a checkered history of uneven behavior, playing like a superstar in one match, then playing like a sleepwalker the next.

There's no telling how he might have fared in Toronto, but you wonder if he might have been inspired by the raucous crowds that will show up at BMO Field. It’s all academic now since it has come to light that Guevara has had it with the league. Strike one was his volatile stint in New York. Strike two was his cup of stale coffee in Los Angeles. And strike three is Toronto.

As for Nagamura, that part of the trade goes through, only now Toronto receives the draft choice from Chivas USA instead of giving it up. The Brazilian is the last in a line of players who never really wanted to be here in the first place. He joins the likes of Conor Casey, Richard Mulrooney and Jose Cancela on that list. Toronto is better off without them. While they may be nice guys, players who don't want to be here are morale destroyers and coach killers. So for now, the midfield consists of Ronnie O'Brien on the right, Andy Welsh on the left with Carl Robinson and Maurice Edu in the middle. I say for now because I keep hearing whispers the team may pursue a designated player this summer. Their original intent was to wait a year, but that plan is now on the fast track.

Let's wager that it happens before Beckham and the Galaxy arrive in August.

If Nagamura is indeed gone even thought we still aren't getting Guevara, we're down to about 5 midfielders on the first team - Welsh, O'Brien, Edu, Robinson & Canizalez. The midfield reserves no longer have A.J. Gray & Richard Asante as midfielders. When Robinson goes to international duty for Wales at the end of the month they better have signed some more midfielders.

Or it would also help to put Brennan in the midfield where he belongs & play Braz, Reda or Pozniak at the back. But Brennan's a left-sided midfielder, the one spot where there is already some depth, so that wouldn't solve a thing.

Archived