TFC vs Revs [R]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Buddle wasn't alone in his mistakes. Boyens was directly responsible for two goals, he's not on the same page as Reda & Brennan. I would have put in Braz at half time. Despite MC2 struggling on the first goal I would still have taken Welsh off since he has been totally useless now two games in a row - it's like they are playing with 10 men with Welsh on the field. I don't know why Mo doesn't use all of his subs - would it kill him to give one more of the young kids some more experience at the end of a 4-0 game?

This team needs to get co-ordinated, big time. Even my girlfriend, who's never seen a game in her life, could tell that the Revs looked far more co-ordinated that TFC did.

The biggest culprit is the formation. The 3-5-2 doesn't suit the playing staff at TFC, particularly in the back. All those players are groomed and used to four-man backlines. Plus, without O'Brien TFC has no speed on the flanks. A 4-4-2 would help settle things down; although I don't know if it will bring results.

Welsh was quite simply horrible as was Mulrooney. I agree with the sentiment that Mo needs to get the younger players involved and improving for the future. Another big problem IMHO is the fact that they used all these young guys in the preseason who developed some cohesion. Once the ball was kicked in real anger there were several players on the field that hadn't played much, if at all, in the build-up to the season.

Reda, Brennan, Robinson and Eskandarian looked ok. Buddle looked horrible, I was playing a game: see how many times he can give the ball away before he completes a pass, any pass even a back pass. Boyens and Canizales looked much worse than the first game, hard to judge Sutton in a game like this, Nakamura seemed to have moments, didn't notice Welsh or Mulrooney. Overall, not a pretty sight.

Generally, Sutton, Reda, Robinson, Mulroney, Nagamura, and Brennan will be ok in this league but we shouldn't expect them to be anymore than average starters. Welsh,I am not seeing what the hype is about.

Boyens and MC2 may need more time to adjust but I doubt they will be big stars either. Eskandarian has his moments but he's not finishing. Buddle shouldn't be starting. And yes, TFC does not have anyone that can lift this team.

Mo seems to be the only one who hasn't noticed that his 3-5-2 doesn't fit his players.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

One word - embarrassing!

After all the hype and a $65 million stadium they better start looking like professional footballers pretty damned quickly because they sure don't look, behave or play like it now.

WTF does the stadium have to do with anything?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Before people start asking for player's & coaches throats to be slit, I've very little doubt that things will get better with more games under their belt

Amazing, two games in and already people are writing off the entire franchise.........

This ain't good. The lack of skill,vision and or intelligence as well as system it was all wrong. None of these players seemed to have what is needed even Sutton was not comfortable.

They looked like boys that's all.We need some men out there,some vision and determination. Anyway let's hope it was an off night and we are all wrong. I just hate it as hell to not have to read those effen toronto media comments,I can just smell it already and than magnified as well,again let's hope I am dead wrong.

I was at the Madison and no Gooner or Benny or for that matter any voyageur. I counted about 50 or so 12 of which were girls. Only one Totono FC shirt. I was the first one there and had a very pleasant conversation with a lovely couple from Brittain, A Liverpool fan and a Bristol city fan. Both at the Uof T in genetics and going back this summer.The whole crowd were all well below 30 and I must admit I was by far the oldest one.No singing just groans and shrieks.I left after the first half and saw the rest at home. This again ain't nice.

Tuesday afternoon is an open house for the media at BMO field. It is kind of funny they have the media split into two groups,those they favour and those they don't.Bad scene that is as well.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Before people start asking for player's & coaches throats to be slit, I've very little doubt that things will get better with more games under their belt

Amazing, two games in and already people are writing off the entire franchise.........

awful awful awful

push up jimmy brennan to left mid..play 4-4-2

andy welsh coudnt even make stockport's mid 4 years ago..what a disaster

that was the first MLS game i have ever watched....not exactly elegant football....the play was choppy, without flow and skill....it sure was hard not to flip to the fulham game on the other channel.

first impressions were not good...hopefully it was just this one game.

quote:Originally posted by bingham

awful awful awful

push up jimmy brennan to left mid..play 4-4-2

andy welsh coudnt even make stockport's mid 4 years ago..what a disaster

Actually I agree with your suggestion (one that I made after the first game) - just not sure why you felt the need to quote my post. To be clear, I'm all for critical comments that are somewhat constructive/insightful, I just think that comments asking the team to justify their existence & a stadium built for the U20 World Cup four games into their existence are just a little bit over the top, to say the least.

After sleeping on it, some more questions:

- Why not stay with a standard system (4-4-2) that all players are familiar with until they are familiar with one another?

- Wasn't the rationale behind the hiring of Mo that he knew the MLS and their structure? It seems to me that he grossly underestimated the players he needs.

- When you are down big time, don't you think it would be a good time to bring in a couple of young players? No not forwards but a midfielder or defender.

- Since the team is faced with a difficult salary budget, why does TFC insist on searching for players in, probably, the most expensive market in the World, England? I am talking about what you need to pay players of similar skill.

Generally, I am not as concerned about individual players on this team as I am its organization. Yes, they do need a player or two who have quickness and a nose for goal. And yes, we can't afford them if we are looking in England, or Europe for that matter.

I don't know Mo's thoughts or the like, but if he has decided that 3-5-2 is the way to go, he has to stick to it through the growing pains. I would think that having chosen this formation because he wants an offensive minded team, until the players have become familiar with each other it is too early to determine if the formation is the problem or the selection of players.

Similarly the use of subs is tied to the selection and familiarity. The subs made, Buddle and Canizales are likely the two starters to be dropped in the next game. Everyone else is left in to aquire more familiarity with each other. Boyens and Welsh had as much trouble as Canizales (Buddle was in a class of his own) but were left in as they are likely to start next game.

The team is new to each other and (in most cases) to the league, I don't see wholesale changes as helping the first which is most of the problem and the second is a problem for the Euopean imports which is not solved by putting them on the bench. I would expect that from here on in the will be a couple of changes in the starting eleven with subs being the tipoff as to who is coming out and who will be the new starter in the next game.

The players that we were so keen on ten days ago haven't suddenly lost their talent, but the do need an appropriate environment to bring it out. I think that perhaps we were a bit too cavalier about the challenges in bringing about that appropriate environment. The question is how much time and experience is needed to achieve this and how much will the supporters allow.

Archived