TFC vs Revs [R]

After 2 games, I have no problem with the play of Sutton, Brennan, Reda and Esky. Robinson and Nagamura look OK (at least interested) and hopefully will improve as the team develops some cohesion. Buddle, although talented, seems disinterested and unable to read the game. I have no idea at this point what Welsh and Mulrooney bring (although I have watched Mulrooney play in the past and he seemed pretty good - disgusted that he was beaten to the ball by Dorman for the 4th). Boyens and Canizales showed well in the first game, but were poor in the second. Canizales shows me exactly what he showed in his U20 and early NT days. Lots of skill with no substance. There is a reason a guy with his talent has been languishing in the German 4th division. Having said that, I hope he gets a chance to improve his game with TFC.

I have no idea why Mo did not make more substitutions earlier. Casey looked pretty good and should start the next one. I know Ibrahim came on late by why not Gray or Gala for Welsh who, in my mind, did absolutely nothing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI in most soccer countries, Mo's tenure as Coach would already be the top subject within the home city media. Fans would not be far behind.

And a cardinal rule of coaching. You make the system fit the players you have and not the other way around. It is clear that TFC does not have the defenders nor the wing players to play 3-5-2 at this level.

Results are what count in professional sport. Coaches are and should be judged on results.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Gone quiet where? Chicoutimi?

"Leafs Nation"

Anyways, let's hope they could get the 3points for the home opener. I don't think anyone wants the TFC fans to start acting like those Leafs fans at the ACC always complaining about everything...

Sadly it already started... after TWO GAMES! [:0]

Not a good game, for TFC and its fans.

Poor performance: Buddle, Welsh (bit better than last time, but still off),

MC2, Boyens (got caught many times), Mo's tactics and poor substitution

(why wait to change Buddle in the 87th minute?)

Nice to see: Robinson's improving play, Toronto fan section (good job boys!!)

Hope to see soon: change of 3-5-2 to something else, replace an ineffective Buddle

early, move Brennan up to left wing (more effective crosses), insert a few younger

players when the score is 3-0 (eg. Lombardo). And a better work ethic would be nice.

I keep thinking to myself that a Tomasz Radzinski in the lineup would improve the team

a hundred fold. Nice to see the Score using the Boston (U38) feed.

Hope to see soon: change of 3-5-2 to something else, replace an ineffective Buddle

early, move Brennan up to left wing (more effective crosses), insert a few younger

players when the score is 3-0 (eg. Lombardo). And a better work ethic would be nice.

I keep thinking to myself that a Tomasz Radzinski in the lineup would improve the team

Had the same thought about Radzinski

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Radz is past his prime and would not really help TFC at this point in his career. We don;t want to bring in players at the end of their careers, still with the young talent. Nice to see the score using

Boston TV 38 feed? what else were they going to do...they are too cheap to send a tv crew down to Boston, Watch the games on the Boston channel in future, the will carry two more games involving Toronto FC!!!

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Radz is past his prime and would not really help TFC at this point in his career. We don;t want to bring in players at the end of their careers, still with the young talent. Nice to see the score using

Boston TV 38 feed? what else were they going to do...they are too cheap to send a tv crew down to Boston, Watch the games on the Boston channel in future, the will carry two more games involving Toronto FC!!!

Radz would not help TFC at this point! My God man, have you watched him play lately?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Lost 3-2 to the Revs, Lombardo with both goals.

Well that's good news atleast...

Last night was a good reminder of how far this team has to go. Mistakes will be made, but how and when they are corrected will tell which way this team goes.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Well that's good news atleast...

Last night was a good reminder of how far this team has to go. Mistakes will be made, but how and when they are corrected will tell which way this team goes.

From Bigsoccer it looks like this was the setup:

. . Chechinski

Braz© Attakora-Gyan Hemming Lumley

Assante(Grey 71) Gala Nunez Guzeman

. Casey(Ibrahim 55) Lombardo

Unless Hemming was playing in mid they went with a 4-4-2

I hope the beer is good quality at the bmo field cause 3 years of this untill you will see anything watchable.The league is very low quality, semi pro really, very little difference with any other American league.Cant even watch the top teams play in this league yet.

Beckham better have lots of his peers pouring in this league asap.

Mo could be the best coach in the world and implement the best technical plan in the world and this team is going to play like dirt in a dirt league for quite awhile.

Just keep your expectations real and you can kind of enjoy it. Cheer for Canadians and drink lots of good beer untill things improve.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Radz would not help TFC at this point! My God man, have you watched him play lately?

Sorry I saw his play against Austria and from what EPL games I've seen

him play I beg to differ.

It's not like Buddle or Eskandarian have made HUGE strides in

scoring or offensive plays. At least Radz would keep better

possession and feed the target men. Just an opinion.

For God's Sake guys this is a expansion team they have only been together for 2 months growing pains are to be expected. Plus let us not overhype this squad, they will get better as this season progresses, trust me. Wow they lost 2 games big deal. I know adjustments will have to be made, such as maybe switching from 3 5 2 to maybe a 4 4 2 and having a healthy Ronnie O Brien. Let us not give up on this team already. I have waited since 1984 for big league Soccer to come to Toronto and want it to stay.

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

"Leafs Nation"

Anyways, let's hope they could get the 3points for the home opener. I don't think anyone wants the TFC fans to start acting like those Leafs fans at the ACC always complaining about everything...

Sadly it already started... after TWO GAMES! [:0]

How many Torontonians do you count in this thread?

Don't you have some free Impact tickets to pick up?

I got to love you people who claim that they have never seen an MLS game until now and come on here saying how low calibre the league is. Got to love this country full of experts on soccer. Yes the MLS is not the Premier League or Serie A but to claim it's no better than a semi pro league, please give it a break. The reason TFC has started the way they have is simply because they are an expansion team, no different then any expansion teams in the past in the other North American sports leagues. Most of the times expansion team are usualy crap. The Raptors, the Blue Jays did not tear up their leagues in their first seasons, why would you expect TFC to do any better? They are an expansion team in a decent level league, it's going to take time people start realizing this. Futhermore, there will always be so called soccer fans who no matter how well TFC or MLS does will always have negatives things to say about North American soccer, usualy people who played soccer or were involved in soccer but were never succesful in it , who love to put North American Pro soccer down. These people have been around since I started following North American soccer many moons ago.

Sorry I saw his play against Austria and from what EPL games I've seen

him play I beg to differ.

It's not like Buddle or Eskandarian have made HUGE strides in

scoring or offensive plays. At least Radz would keep better

possession and feed the target men. Just an opinion.

Sorry Redhat. Let me qualify my post. I strongly disagree with Mighty TFC. Radz has been the best player in a Canada shirt in the past year or so and has looked good for Fulham as well. Radz is exactly what TFC need!

i did not watch game two but a couple of things strike me as unusual about TFC and Mo.

One, from my recollection, they played 4-4-2 the whole preseason and then for the opening two games they switched to a 3-5-2. That seems dumb to me. Also, if he is going to play 3-5-2, why does he have the reserve side playing 4-4-2. You should play the same system throughout your system so players learn it.

Two, and perhaps unfair to the Kiwi, but I find it surpising that you play him over Braz considering the level of experience the latter has. You are playing a back 3 with one rookie fresh from college and another midfielder who has never played CB in his life. That seems to be a bone head move to me. Why you wouldn't play Braz at right back, Boyens and Reda in the middle, with Brennan on the left is strange to me (what you have been playing in preseason). That way, you could take Canizales off the field and either play the brazialian on the right with Robinson and Mulroney in the middle and Welsh on the left; or play a 4-3-3 with Robinson/Mulroney/Brasialian and push Welsh up on the left with Casey in the middle and Esky on the right.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have just seen highlights, not the whole game.

I too am surprised Mo is using a 3-5-2, it is a fairly daring set-up. Unless of course the outside mids are dropping comfortably into the back when needed.

Seemed to me that Cañizalez had problems on his side, and when he missed his man there was a lot of space left for them to attack down. So the key to this formation is whether you can successfully cover up high, or if you can't, to be able to recover your marks further close to the box.

Some say 3-5-2 gives you a better potential attack, as long as the outside mids can get down their wings and cross in, or cut in to feed the strikers. But regardless it is riskier, and you need to coach it better.

In general it is hard to see a three man back line in British football, you won't find many teams even playing a 3-4-3. It is hard to imagine Mo is used to playing this way. Even a 4-3-3 is more solid, as usually one if not both attacking wings will come back to cover down the wings, if not all the way at least as far back as your defensive third.

Even then, I don't like three men at the back, for one basic reason: your outside backs never get forward. With a 4-4-2 the two guys on the outside can go up their respective wings, knowing that the guy on the other side will stay back, leaving you with three in the back to protect against a counter. So potentially, starting with more back, you have more able to go forwards, as you have the coverage behind you. So it could be a better attacking option, and always from the back up, building more surely, with more safety.

I also happen to like a 4-4-2 for set plays and corners attacking, as you can send both your taller central backs up to look for the header and still have a couple guys who are usually faster (outside backs) holding the opposing team's striker on the centre line, guys who actually are used to being the last defensive line, instead of leaving shorter mids back there.

My feeling is that the outside players in the midfield of a 3-5-2 need to be more a Cafu-like wing-back rather than a winger-forward. In other words, having someone who has the speed, fitness, and skill to play both ends. The back three need to be experienced, skillful and mobile central defenders. I don't think those kinds of players are within the TFC budget so they might as well go back to a 4-4-2.

Also, playing 4 in the midfield opens more space in the central midfield because there is one less midfielder (and that player's opposing marker).

Archived