Stalteri Spurs (R)

Soju

West Ham effed in the A as Stalteri hijacks the whole show! Injury time winner off a rebound, seen him do this earlier in the season off a Keane crack. What a game...Great goals. Hate to see Tottenham win after what they did to Fulham in the FA cup... but a homer scored the winner so I'm happy.

Sub'd in for Jenas after a groin injury, Chimbonda moved to right wing while Diesel takes over right fullback.

Sub'd in for an injured Zokora last week as the holding mid.

Tell me Jol doesn't think Pauls a value.

Once he settled he looked good. Moving well. Running like a son-of-a-bitch and even creeping over into the centre to help out the central defenders.

Who had Harewood on the final corner? Not Gardner or Dawson, Diesel.

Great stuff.

Oop. Forgot to mention I think it was he who layed up a perfectly weighted pass to Dafoe as 'Spurs worked a triangle to the left of Hammers area. A real nice one-touch pass. Especially for a fellow who's been injured for soooo long this year.

P.S. Geezus, what the Hell time is it in China?

I agree Cheeta. Even before the goal, I thought Stalteri had a great 30 minutes. Broke up a couple of rushes, played in some nice through balls, then ran the length of the field to tap in that final goal.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Tell me Jol doesn't think Pauls a value.

He doesn't. That or he doesn't have him in long-term plans. Sorry, but I don't see him long-term with Lily White C**ts. If he was, he'd not be behind Lee or an overrated Chimbonda. Sure he can get forward, but he's not better than Paul defensively.

I wanted to cheer for him, but I haven't cheered for him once since he joined that steaming pile up the Seven Sisters. I only cheer for them when they eat lasagna.

I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game but I thought Stalteri did well. The lung busting run that resulted in his rebound goal I'm sure sent a message to Jol that, to quote Cheeta, "spoke volumes." I'm very happy for him during this frustrating season to catch a ray of sunshine with his tally. Here's hoping this will be a springboard for more appearences before season's end. Whether or not he's in Jol's long term plans obviously remains to be seen.

An unusual positive about his situation, either recently or at any other time, is that I am not aware of any whinging on his part about his not being in the starting side more regularly, unlike the Irish reserve fullback they had last year.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game but I thought Stalteri did well. The lung busting run that resulted in his rebound goal I'm sure sent a message to Jol that, to quote Cheeta, "spoke volumes."

He also started the breakout by picking up the loose ball, running forward 10 yards or so before sending the pass forward and yes, his long run showed his commitment and perhaps surprised the Hammers defence as he was totally alone. What a complete breakdown by their defence!

db

Just got home from a long day away from tv or internet. As usual for a Sunday I went to check livescore. Could not believe what I saw. Stalteri the winner in injury time no less. Damn I hope theres a replay soon. Couldn't be happier for Diesel. Sounds like he played with something to prove. Well done Paul! Heres to more minutes for the remainder of the season. Well done Soju for giving this it's own thread.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

He doesn't. That or he doesn't have him in long-term plans. Sorry, but I don't see him long-term with Lily White C**ts. If he was, he'd not be behind Lee or an overrated Chimbonda. Sure he can get forward, but he's not better than Paul defensively.

Won't agree that Chimbonda is overrated but I guess it depends who you ask. Think he's a fine right fullback. Maybe didn't come in as strongly as Jol had hoped but he's found his groove and is now playing to potential. That being said, completely agree that Paul is the superior defender in every capacity, matches Chimbonda's speed, but is absolutely the inferior attacker. I think injuries have hurt Diesel's ability to compete for a spot in matches were Jol might consider a little less adventurism by his full backs. He hasn't had the opportunity to get the match day minutes in so he's rusty, so in those instances the normaly weaker defender (but in tune) Chimbonda might be the way to go, blah, blah, blah. It's a vicious circle. You don't play 'cause your rusty, but how do you shake the rust off if you don't play?

Jol odviously loves his fullbacks being fluid. And as far as I can tell it's the only reason Lee plays. This has come up before but it just hard for me to imagine Paul on the left. Even Lee has settled down his ranging a lot since last year and he still goes deep forward a Hell of a lot but he is picking his spots more, so that's something. Still has no business on an EPL pitch though. But then that American Spectre fellow has a few matches under his belt to.

Man, if you want your son to play in the EPL one day train him up as a left fullback 'cause they're sure looking for them.

Anyway, I just get the impression that Jol is finding ways to get Paul back onto the pitch and into 'Spurs bigger picture again. He could have brought that teenager "whats-his-face" straight up for Jenas but didn't. Adding to the benchs he's been selecting (partial due to injurie true) it seems Diesel is covering more than one defensive roll for 'Spurs.

To bad The Star again blew this one big time,while the Globe had a great picture of Paul.What is going on at The Star? Typical crappy Star.About that goal what was Paul doing there anyway. It seems that he is one of those real attacking defenders,kind of remends me of Bruce Wilson.Hey Paul must have been watching Bobby Orr.

'seems that he is one of those real attacking defenders'

Makes sense as Stalteri did used to be a forward but I thought one of Jol's criticisms was that Paul doesn't get forward enough (compared to Lee?). His crosses into the box aren't always great either but he works his ass off and brings the pain. Fingers crossed for Stalteri and Radz to stay in the Prem next season I think they both look hungry enough it would be a shame if either of our bos got dropped.

Cheeta: think it was 3:30am in bangkok when I posted that, this city gets great footie coverage.

Archived