CONCACAF U-23 Qualifications

loyola

Here's how it will work for the 2008 Olympic qualifications. Good news for Canada, we're laready trough to the final round. So we won't have to face the Virgins Islands and El Salvador (in the snow) like in 2004.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3720

Central American Olympic Qualification starts this year

15.2.07 - CONCACAF’s Preliminary Qualification in Central America for the Men’s (Under-23) and Women’s Football Tournaments at the Olympic Games Beijing (China) 2008 starts later this year.

The Men’s Central American competition will have two groups of three with Panama hosting El Salvador and Honduras from 7-11 November, while Guatemala stages Costa Rica and Nicaragua from 14-18 November.

The winners of each triangular will advance to the CONCACAF Men’s Pre-Olympic Final Round Tournament along with two Caribbean teams, Canada, Mexico and USA with venue and dates to be announced in due course. The two second-place finishers from each Central American Triangular will meet in a home-and-away playoff series with the winner also progressing to the CONCACAF Final Round.

The Women’s Central American event is composed of Panama taking on Costa Rica and El Salvador facing Nicaragua in two home-and-away series scheduled for 6-7 and 13-14 October, respectively.

The two series winners will not only meet for the Central American crown in a home-and-away playoff on 20-21 and 27-28 October, but the winning team will advance to the six-team CONCACAF Women’s Pre-Olympic Final Round Tournament joining Canada, Mexico, USA and two Caribbean team with venue and dates to be announced.

2008 CONCACAF MEN’S (UNDER-23) OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION

Central American Zone

Triangular 1 – PANAMA

7-11 November 2007

El Salvador, Honduras, Panama

Triangular 2 – GUATEMALA

14-18 November 2007

Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua

2008 CONCACAF WOMEN’S OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION

Central American Zone

Home Team Listed First

6-7 October 2007

PANAMA – COSTA RICA

EL SALVADOR – NICARAGUA

13-14 October 2007

COSTA RICA – PANAMA

NICARAGUA – EL SALVADOR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this setup. Too bad they don't run WCQ more like this, at least for the preliminary stages. For the final round of 8, the OQ will likely be a tournament held in one country. Such a setup would probably help Canada if it were also adopted for World Cup qualifying, since it's more likely the team could gel together over the course of a 7-game round-robin. Of course you'd be looking at a month-long committment by players, but if this was done right after the Euro season ended it could work, and a lot of players and clubs might prefer a single one-month committment to 18 five-day round trips across the Atlantic spread over two years. We could even have a proper training camp and make it five weeks, provided the timing was right. While I doubt this would happen with WCQ, it would still be nice if the "Hex" was increased to an "Octagon", and Canada went straight thru.... though of course this would never happen given CONCACAF politics.

• 7 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

8 teams in the final round......I still think WCQ should be like that as well.

Agree, and by starting CONCACAF qualifying last saturday we would have the 4 remaining FIFA dates for the extra games.

BTW, the U-23 CONCACAF should be 2 group of 4, with the 2 finalists qualifying for the Olympics.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Cuba and Haiti have just qualify for the final round joining Canada, Mexico and USA. There's 3 places remaining for 3 teams from central america.

No date and venues have been announced yet for the final round.

Power seems to have started to shift in the Caribbean...

Cuba defeated T&T 0-3 in Trinidad. The Trini's also lost to Grenada 3-2.

Jamaica lost to Bahamas 1-0 and then fell to Haiti in the last game.

Agree, and by starting CONCACAF qualifying last saturday we would have the 4 remaining FIFA dates for the extra games.

BTW, the U-23 CONCACAF should be 2 group of 4, with the 2 finalists qualifying for the Olympics.

This is unfair ..the contries that organize these qualifying groups will have good advantages to qualify for the Olympics. Somebody knows where are the venues? maybe in Canada?

so far are 5 countries for the final round : Canada, USA, Mexico, Haiti and Cuba plus 3 from central america....

No way for Canada, they will want to hold the competition early in the new year. Mt bet is that it will be in Central America in February, probably Panama or Costa Rica, one of whom probably have already got an unofficial agreement with that corrupt Warner.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

No way for Canada, they will want to hold the competition early in the new year. Mt bet is that it will be in Central America in February, probably Panama or Costa Rica, one of whom probably have already got an unofficial agreement with that corrupt Warner.

In 1996 the tournament was held in Canada in May and the Olympics were in mid-July. So, maybe it's still possible to host the tournament later (march or april).

But I personnaly don't think we'll host it anyway.

It can not be possible in Panama because they will organize the "triangular 1" playing against Honduras and El Salvador.... So maybe it will in Costa Rica( if they qualify), and the other group I am sure will be in the States or in Mexico...grrrrrrrr:(

remember this message ! according to Mr Warner influences you will see a semi final group in CONCACAF for the WC2010 like this :

USA

TRINIDAD TOBAGO

GUYANA

HAITI

..and another group like this:

Mexico

Costa Rica

El Salvador

Canada*

* All games involving Canada as the away team to be played in July, with start times at noon. Refereeing duties for the group to be shared by Benito Archundio and Carlos Batres.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on BS. Probably lifted from the Concacaf site

"CONCACAF announced today that the 2008 CONCACAF Men’s Under-23 Championship will take place in three venues in the USA from March 11-23rd.

The eight-team tournament will not only crown the CONCACAF U-23 champion but also qualify two teams to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

The 2008 edition of the CONCACAF U-23 Championship will have two groups of four in the first round competing on a round-robin basis from 11-16 March. Group A will take place at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, while Group B is set for the Home Depot Center in Carson, California with each venue staging three doubleheaders in group play.

The semifinals and the final of the CONCACAF U-23 Championship will be held at LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee on 20 and 23 March, respectively."

"CONCACAF announced today that the 2008 CONCACAF Men’s Under-23 Championship will take place in three venues in the USA from March 11-23rd.

The eight-team tournament will not only crown the CONCACAF U-23 champion but also qualify two teams to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

The 2008 edition of the CONCACAF U-23 Championship will have two groups of four in the first round competing on a round-robin basis from 11-16 March. Group A will take place at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, while Group B is set for the Home Depot Center in Carson, California with each venue staging three doubleheaders in group play.

The semifinals and the final of the CONCACAF U-23 Championship will be held at LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee on 20 and 23 March, respectively."

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

This is the best location after Canada we could've hope for.

BTW, no FIFA dates during this tourney. It might be tough to get players like Will Johnson, Hainault and a few toehrs who are in their club first squad.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

..and another group like this:

Mexico

Costa Rica

El Salvador

Canada*

* All games involving Canada as the away team to be played in July, with start times at noon. Refereeing duties for the group to be shared by Benito Archundio and Carlos Batres.

Great, we get Mr corruption again. A mexican ref officiating games in group with Mexico. Only in Concacaf

BTW, no FIFA dates during this tourney. It might be tough to get players like Will Johnson, Hainault and a few toehrs who are in their club first squad.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some faces and names called up that we are not familar with. Perhaps a couple players who might have excelled in the semi-pro or amateur leagues in canada.

Otherwise, I have hard time coming up with 18-20 names that we are familiar with that are in the 21-23 age range, that cover all positions on the pitch, that are available given that this is not a FIFA date, and that play a some level of reasonable competeiveness.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some faces and names called up that we are not familar with. Perhaps a couple players who might have excelled in the semi-pro or amateur leagues in canada.

Otherwise, I have hard time coming up with 18-20 names that we are familiar with that are in the 21-23 age range, that cover all positions on the pitch, that are available given that this is not a FIFA date, and that play a some level of reasonable competeiveness.

I'll give it a quick try:

Begovic (Portsmouth reserves)

Wagenaar (ADO reserves)

Monsalve (TFC)

Giacomi (?)

We shouldn't have problems having at least 2 of those keepers.

Edgar (Newcastle reserves)

Hemming (TFC)

KOA (Hertha U-19 and reserves)

D'Agostino (Blackpool reserves)

Gala (TFC)

Gyaki (Hansa reserves)

Ucello (4th or 5th division in Italy)

O'Neil (4th division in Germany)

JBB (St-Pauli reserves)

Ramalho (Groningen reserves)

Lombardo (TFC)

Peters (Ipswich reserves)

Jakovic (UAB)

Peetoom (?)

Keegan Ayre (Hibernian reserves)

Melo (TFC)

Charowski (Duke University)

Schiavoni (UAB)

Hainault (Most)

Johnson (De Graafschap)

Revivo (Winthrop)

Haber (Groningen U-19)

Bonifatio (Cambuur reserves)

DeJong (Roda JC)

Ledgerwood (1860)

Rosenlund (?)

Guys like DeJong, Johnson and Hainault are long shot and some of those players might not be release if they get into their club first team ( but I'm pretty sure we have enough for an 18 players roster.

Remember, the Mexicans are now in the same boat as us. No Dos Santos, Vela, Juarez or Guardado.

The US might be a bit better off, they won't miss Westberg too much with Seitz available. Though no Bradley and probably no Feilhaber (so they go with Edu).

I think this is our lineup on current/projected availability

------------Begovic/Wagenaar-------------

Hemming-----Edgar----Peetom-------Ramalho

Peters--------Gyaki-Jakovic--------Rivas

-----------------Guzman----------------

-------------Ricketts/Sanchez--------------

One of the keepers should be available (fingers crossed)

Edgar is playing reserves, same with Ramalho

Peters is getting 0 PT, Gyaki is playing reserve ball. I added Carlos Rivas because he has seen some PT off/on and is playing at a high level. Any other ideas for mid? Maybe Alex Schleer?

David Guzman as the withdrawn striker, a role he played well in for the TFC reserves. Ricketts or Sanchez (if released) up top to give us speed without Jackson, Uccello or Riley available. Lombardo could play here too (but please, no thanks).

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Remember, the Mexicans are now in the same boat as us. No Dos Santos, Vela, Juarez or Guardado.

The US might be a bit better off, they won't miss Westberg too much with Seitz available. Though no Bradley and probably no Feilhaber (so they go with Edu).

I think this is our lineup on current/projected availability

------------Begovic/Wagenaar-------------

Hemming-----Edgar----Peetom-------Ramalho

Peters--------Gyaki-Jakovic--------Rivas

-----------------Guzman----------------

-------------Ricketts/Sanchez--------------

One of the keepers should be available (fingers crossed)

Edgar is playing reserves, same with Ramalho

Peters is getting 0 PT, Gyaki is playing reserve ball. I added Carlos Rivas because he has seen some PT off/on and is playing at a high level. Any other ideas for mid? Maybe Alex Schleer?

David Guzman as the withdrawn striker, a role he played well in for the TFC reserves. Ricketts or Sanchez (if released) up top to give us speed without Jackson, Uccello or Riley available. Lombardo could play here too (but please, no thanks).

See my previous post, I think we have enough decent players to be competitive in this tourney. Let's hope for a semi-final appearance.

See my previous post, I think we have enough decent players to be competitive in this tourney. Let's hope for a semi-final appearance.

Yeah, i noticed yours after i wrote mine (i took a while). I agree, no worries about finding enough bodies unless alot of clubs start being pricks for no reason.

Also for the US, no Adu or Davies.

edit: What's up with the fonts when you post? It's affecting mine now too...

Johnny63 from BS posted these results

Central American Olympic Qualifiers :

Panama - El Salvador 2-1

Honduras - El Salvador 3-0

Last match Panama - Honduras (in Panama)

Winner to finals , second place to playoffs.

edit: The other group contains Costa Rica and Guatemala (with Nicaragua as the 3rd team) as favourites to finish 1-2. This group will be played in Guatemala.

Archived