• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Johnny63 from BS posted these results

Central American Olympic Qualifiers :

Panama - El Salvador 2-1

Honduras - El Salvador 3-0

Last match Panama - Honduras (in Panama)

Winner to finals , second place to playoffs.

edit: The other group contains Costa Rica and Guatemala (with Nicaragua as the 3rd team) as favourites to finish 1-2. This group will be played in Guatemala.

Honduras - Panama 1-1

Honduras qualified for the final round and Panama will have another chance in a playoff against the other group second team.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

No respect for Nicaragua!!!

My girlfriend is from Nicaragua and even she admits that they suck!! :D Now, start talking about baseball and that's a different story...

I'm hoping for the outside chance we draw them in the WCQ prelim. round in June, i really liked Nicaragua on my visit earlier this year. Plus, the risk of bodily harm cheering for Canada down there is minimal ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Costa Rica 0-1 Panama (3:4 after penalties)

Panama advances to the final round of Olympic Qualifying at the expense of the Ticos.

Final Rd. = MEX, USA, CAN, GUA, HON, PAN, CUB and HAI

edit: This was the 2nd leg, 1st leg finished Panama 0:1 Costa Rica

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=4064

"Group A, which will play first round games at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, has Cuba, Honduras, Panama, along with the hosts, USA. Group B, that will have encounters at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California, consist of the defending CONCACAF Champion, Mexico, along with Canada, Guatemala and Haiti."

Best possible draw for us I would say. Mexico had a very strong U20 but I would rather face them than the USA at home right now. Guatemala and Haiti are not at the same level. We might need a coach though.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Best possible draw for us I would say. Mexico had a very strong U20 but I would rather face them than the USA at home right now. Guatemala and Haiti are not at the same level. We might need a coach though.

Well, considering the determining game is the 1/2 and that in both cases (USA or Mexico) our best chances would be 2nd place, I would've prefered playing the US in the group stage and then facing Mexico in Nashville in the 1/2.

I agree, a coach would help and let's hope for a January camp (maybe with the Senior team) and 1 or 2 friendlies.

Mexico is far from running away with this group. Their group of 85/86's failed to qualify for the 2005 WYC which means the underage team that fared so well this summer will be supplying the bulk of talent if they make it to China. They'll be missing half their team since i assume they won't be released from their clubs, these include; Gio Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Jose Guardado and Ifrain Juarez.

Gotta agree. Its a good draw for Canada. One surprise result against Mex and you never know. Although, we know of dates and times, they didn't announce the group fixtures and matchups. It would a bigger bonus to get Mex right from the get go. Greater chance to catch them napping. But then again, the Los Angeles might as well be a home game for them.

True, but if we get on them early and don't let them get in a groove the home crowd might turn on them. We've done reasonably well against the Mexicans at the U20 and U23 level recently. The PanAm games match in '99, and the '97 and '05 WYCQ games show we're capable of getting a result at this level (win or draw).

Archived