USector.ca - Andrea Lombardo Is Coming Home

Ryan Keay

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Patience, VPjr. Soon enough the detractors will find something new to bitch about.

of that I have no doubt. it's just funny that on a different thread, we all expended a ton of energy complaining about Mo ignoring "1st rate" canadians but the evidence is that they were wrong. will they fess up?

Lombardo IMO is ready for some major minutes in MLS right now, tho he probably wouldn't start most of the games just yet. Assuming we also sign that Su Qingze fellow, we have a serious glut of strikers. Solution: (The first round draft choice obtained from DCU) + Cancela + (their choice of Esky, Buddle, or Casey) for DeRosario. I don't think Houston could pass on that offer.

Will he be part of a package offered in exchange for yet another Yank that Mo likes? Just kidding U-ban boys. Good to see young Lombardo getting a chance here.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Although this would be an awesome move, lets not get carried away. Do we have any confermation of this??? Maybe he will be in Florida for the U-20 camp and not the TFC camp? Mo will probably look at him when the 2 teams scrimmage against each other but I'm not going to get excited until a contract is signed.

he's back home in North York, will join the team in Florida in a couple of days and the signing of a contract is a formality....as reported by the U-Sector boys. here is the quote

"While Toronto FC's Canadian signings have been those of a defensive nature, the tide appears to be changing with the acquisition of Canadian U20 international Andrea Lombardo. Sources close to the player say that Lombardo will make a brief stopover at home in North York before heading to Fort Lauderdale on Monday for Toronto FC's first training camp.

While he will be at Toronto FC training camp, it is unknown at this point whether Lombardo has signed a contract with Toronto FC. Even if Lombardo is not signed yet, his acquisition is likely a formality. Mo Johnston has stated on previous occassions that he rates Andrea very highly and felt he would be an excellent addition to the club. Lombardo was recently released from a contract with Serie A club Atalanta and would be signed on a free transfer."

This move will likely result in Esky being traded to Red Bulls for their back goalkeeper. That rumour has been floating for a few days but now it makes much more sense.

Esky is worth far more than a backup keeper. That rumor has to be just wishful thinking on Red Bulls fans' part. Also, it would be a grave error to add a non-Canadian keeper, since we need to seriously stock up on Canadians right now to meet quotas. The only way I would trade Esky is if I get a Canadian back of equal value (or greater value, as in DeRo).

I dont kno waobut this apparetnly there is alot more to this story then one thinks, from what I heard He is going not with FC but only with the under20, fc will be down there as wll training.

rumors suggestt that toronto Fc contract was turned down by lombardo i dont wehy but mayber he has not been released yet and cannot play elsewhere. can anyone verify this

To take a canadian back up keeper, could be a grave mistake...

Just the fact that when the gold cup happens, whos going to be keeper for tfc?

Like if we had Sutton and lets say Kenny S as our 1, 2 @ TFC and they both get called... then we have a number 3 with no experience in net for like 3 weeks.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Like if we had Sutton and lets say Kenny S as our 1, 2 @ TFC and they both get called... then we have a number 3 with no experience in net for like 3 weeks.

We could take Lars, however, because we all know that he's never going to play for Canada again. :D

Well if this is indeed true this will reverse my disappointment about the lack of Canadians at the striker position. I would expect though that he's only going to get significant playing time if one of the other strikers is traded.

I'll continue to reserve judgment on the final roster, until we actually see what it is. :)

I disagree. TFC would be doing alot for Canada if all three keepers were Canadian. This way, you can help distinguish who the better keepers are as it is difficult now with everyone in different leagues. It would also suck to see a foreign keeper become the regular starter while Sutton rots on the bench. I only want to see Sutton on the bench if he is being outplayed by another Canadian keeper.

You need to remember that the MNT only calls two keepers for friendlies and one-off games, and three for a tournament like the Gold Cup (only once every two years). Since the MNT coach would only call keepers who are playing regularly, only TFC's starter would go (probably Sutton), leaving the other two behind. The MNT would not call the second keeper who is not even playing over guys like Lars/Wagonner/Kenny/Begovic.

There will be times where none of TFC's keepers will be chosen - just Europe-based keepers. The only situation where all the European players would be unavailable would be if the CSA scheduled a friendly on a non-FIFA date. That would be very unlikely, and I'm sure they would not try a stunt like that if it conflicted with TFC's schedule. BTW, under those circumstances, TFC and the players would be allowed to tell the CSA to F*ck-off as you can do that for friendlies on non-FIFA dates.

To summarize: the MNT will only be interested in the top keeper who's starting regularly to complement the European pool of talent. That will leave the two back-ups. I think they should also be Canadian so that there is always a Canadian in net and healthly competition ensures that there is a proven keeper for the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by pokey1

I dont kno waobut this apparetnly there is alot more to this story then one thinks, from what I heard He is going not with FC but only with the under20

Wrong again, do some homework before you post...

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2622

NAME Age Hometown Pos.

NOM Age Ville natale Pos.

Nana Attakora-Gyan 17 Orangeville, ON, Canada D

Olivier Babineau 19 Dieppe, NB, Canada M

Michael D'Agostino 20 Langley, BC, Canada D/M

Massimo Di Ioia 19 Montreal, QC, Canada F

Alex Elliott 19 Vancouver, BC, Canada F

Gabe Gala 17 Brampton, ON, Canada D

A.J. Gray 18 Brampton, ON, Canada M

Marcus Haber 18 Vancouver, BC, Canada D/F

Zach Kalthoff 18 Calgary, AB, Canada D

Shane Lammie 18 Toronto, ON, Canada F

Stephen Lumley 19 Mississauga, ON, Canada D

David Monsalve 18 Brampton, ON, Canada GK

Cristian Nunez 18 Montreal, QC, Canada M

Tosaint Ricketts 19 Edmonton, AB, Canada M

Masumi Turnbull 19 Richmond, ON, Canada D/M

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

NAME Age Hometown Pos.

Oooooh snap.. you just got f'd in the a!

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

NAME Age Hometown Pos.

I dont kno waobut this apparetnly there is alot more to this story then one thinks, from what I heard He is going not with FC but only with the under20, fc will be down there as wll training.

rumors suggestt that toronto Fc contract was turned down by lombardo i dont wehy but mayber he has not been released yet and cannot play elsewhere. can anyone verify this

Copy and pastes to Drunk - English Translator...

...taps foot waiting...

Nope. Nothing.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Copy and pastes to Drunk - English Translator...

...taps foot waiting...

Nope. Nothing.

I don’t know about this apparently there is allot more to this story then one thinks, from what I heard He is NOT going with FC but only with the under20.

Rumors suggest that Toronto Fc contract was turned down by Lombardo I don’t why but maybe he has not been released yet and cannot play elsewhere. Can anyone verify this?

To follow up I was told by a friend that reason that he turned it down, was that he did not except the farm team of Toronto FC along side with some other young players.

I hope this is better now that I cut and paste as you recommended

oh snap i think you need it more then me with ever your qoute suggests.

if your read in between the lines it says the following

Our third and final camp of the winter phase of our preparations will again focus on raising fitness levels and player evaluations in training and scrimmages,” says head coach Dale Mitchell. “Since our next meeting will be the Scotland series in March when we hope to have our full squad, this camp is an important one for this group of players.”

da importanted to those players only as they may not be there the next round..

Lombardo is on the team but will be there to train with the Under 20 not FC.....

Beside if you know so much where is the announcemnt that he is with FC>>>>>>>>>becuase I was told from a good sourse.

If I am wrong then fine so be it but I just telling what I heward by way of mouth.....

oh snap i think you need it more then me with ever your qoute suggests.

if your read in between the lines it says the following

Our third and final camp of the winter phase of our preparations will again focus on raising fitness levels and player evaluations in training and scrimmages,” says head coach Dale Mitchell. “Since our next meeting will be the Scotland series in March when we hope to have our full squad, this camp is an important one for this group of players.”

da importanted to those players only as they may not be there the next round..

Lombardo is on the team but will be there to train with the Under 20 not FC.....as he turned down a offer from TFC junior team......thats what i was told and I tell you.

Beside if you know so much where is the announcemnt that he is with FC>>>>>>>>>I was told from a good sourse and i am just communicating to all of you.

If I am wrong then fine so be it but I just telling what I heward by way of mouth.....

NAME Age Hometown Pos.

Archived