Toronto FC Acquire Eskandarian

Bill Ault

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Toronto FC announced Friday that they have acquired forward Alecko Eskandarian from DC United in exchange for a partial allocation. As per club policy, financial details were not disclosed.

www.canadakicks.com

An excellent pick-up by Toronto FC, he has a lot more upside then Nate Jaqua. If they only had to use the money acquired from LA, another great move by Mo.

Well I guess that we will have to wait til January to get a better picture. Hopefully the names of more prominent Canadians overseas emerges. Someone like Hume would be a good start. I would be a little dissapointed if there aren't at least six canadians ( who have truly earned their spot as starters) on the starting eleven for the first game in LA.

Though from what I am hearing, its proving to be a real challenge to bring home canadian talent with the allocation dollars available.

Mo is taking a pass on a few canadians. His reasons appear to be related to their play and thats fair with me since it is his responsibility to ensure that the club is competitive and it is his butt that's on the line. Plus, we have to trust and respect his judgement since he has accompished more in the game than anyone else in Canada. But still, from my vantage point, I see little to differentiate between some of the Canadian players that he doesn't like and those who are already on the roster. If the club is competitive from start, all will be forgiven. But, if we are going to struggle in the first season , i'd rather it be with a club full of Canadian hopefulls.

Hopefully, with addition of Jaime Peters ( very strong rumour), the Canadian contingent on the squad won't be restricted to defensive roles.

As much as I'm loving the new team I think for peters, having gotten into england at his age, it would be a step down to move to the low ceiling of MLS. Considering that TFC is already looking like a solid MLS competitor I think we should focus on developing some of our less marquee players, for the likes of simeon jackson, lombardo, Issey, (maybe Nsaliwa, he's pretty developed but MLS might be able to compete with the greek league in most respects) it could be a decent move financially and if their not playing at the highest level, we might as well encourage the MNT chemistry.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

No he had already discussed Eskandarian in the interview - this is a new player. I sincerely hope it is not Hume...leave him in England.

Like BringBackTheBlizzard I also had the impression that the comments referred to Eskandarian. It could also be that the striker referred to is not Canadian.

Mo said he would be announcing the signing sometime next week. Wouldn't that mean that whoever it was could not be under contract in Europe as the transfer window doesn't open until sometime in January right? That said one guy I would think would be a good candidate would be Ali Gerba, scored at every level and his time in Europe so far has been very dissapointing.

I think Eskandarian is a good pickup from both a soccer and marketing point of view. Young striker who can score and is also of Armenian heritage and there is a pretty big Armenian community in Toronto. Toronto is such a multi-ethnic city that TFC will probably benefit from any player who is of an identifiable ethnic background.

Yeah, I'm definitely stoked about Eskandarian. Watched a couple of his goals... the guy is pure skill. Too bad he's not Canadian, but like you said he'll be good both onfield and marketting-wise. And the US is not really one of the teams we need to beat in WCQ, so it's not like we are "helping the enemy."

quote:Originally posted by Juby

As much as I'm loving the new team I think for peters, having gotten into england at his age, it would be a step down to move to the low ceiling of MLS.

Peters is not made for the English game. He has pace but he is too small and too light for the physical demands of that game, especially the lower teirs such as the championship. Unlike in other championships in Europe, the only position where English clubs can play a player like Peters is as a winger.

If he was somewhere else on the continent, I might agree with your view that TFC would be a step down to a lower ceiling. But in Peters case, I would view this move as a chance to recsue his career. Going to Ipswich was a terible move IMO and I still cant figure out why he did not stay in Germany.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

From what i have heard around the bush.... it could be atiba hutchisons nightmare.

Paulo Wonchoppe

This rumour goes back at least three months, that Mo was interested in an African striker who had been with the Metrostars. That player is Abbe Ibrahim, and will probably be the striker signed next week (either him or a Canadian striker). If Paulo comes to MLS, I think it will be with New York, Houston or Chivas.

Paulo is one of the great MLS stories of the signing that could have been, just before he signed in Europe, serious negotiations with MLS broke down when MLS refused to raise their offer. The difference wasn't significant.

Archived