Csl Open Cup Result

SoccMan

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can't wait for the excuses from the USL fans around here.

Lets hear them. Lynx didn't care, they didn't have their players, it was raining only on the Lynx players, blah, blah, blah.

According to "logic" around here, the USL must really suck.

Having spent a memorable first year of university living above the "Superior Restaurant" (in name only I might add) on Preston Street (across from the up-scale Prescott Hotel), congrats to St. Anthony's for their historic win.

I'll have a better report tomorrow (I stayed after this game to watch North York Astros vs Windsor Border Stars game).

Italia's Abraham Osman scored both goals in the game at 55 and 81 minutes. Ladislans Kikunda assisted on the first goal and Souleyman Gagou assisted on the second.

Lynx starters: goal Chris Baker (didn't play all year)

defenders Chris Williams, Andres Arango, Rick Titus

midfield Gordon Chin, Joe Mattacchione, David DiPlacido, Edgar Bartolomeu, Marko Bedenikovic

forwards Damien Pottinger, Matthew Palleschi

A very acceptable starting eleven for any USL game. It was on the bench where they were thin. Just Osni Neto, Cameron Medwin, and Aaron Steele had any USL experience.

The rest were Academy players Anthony Doran, Mackenzie Wilde, and Steve Lumley.

Gordon Chin filled in for the role of Robbie Aristodemo for a good winger and dead ball kicker. He's matured well from the first games of the year.

I'd estimate about 200 people here popping their umbrellas before and during the game about three times. Probably killed off the walk up crowd.

Tomorrow look for a better report with a link to photos of Ottawa players hoisting a trophy. Didn't see an oversized $10,000 cheque though!

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can't wait for the excuses from the USL fans around here.

Lets hear them. Lynx didn't care, they didn't have their players, it was raining only on the Lynx players, blah, blah, blah.

Are you serious?

Congrats to St. Anthony's, but the USL is still a far better standard than the C(P)SL.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Even the best club teams in the world lose games from time to time, especially relatively meaningless ones out of season. I think the Lynx did the CSL a big favour this time around. 200 people? Can't see the Whitecaps or Impact getting too excited about this.

Richard: It was you who backhanded comment after comment, suggested the CSL teams who were knocked out of this cup competition couldn't be all that much losing to an amateur team.

Is that the best you can do "Out of season competition"? USL playoffs still going on. You don't have to make excuses for the USL.

Can't really compare any USL team to "Best in World losing games from time to time".

THE WIN SPEAKS MORE FOR THE STATE OF SOCCER IN CANADA. Amatuer at best.

Ottawa Italia stun Lynx

Ottawa St. Anthony Italia, the recently crowned Ontario amateur champions, have defied all odds yet again to defeat the Toronto Lynx 2-0 in the Open Canada Cup Final, and in an exciting Sunday of regular season action, Serbian White Eagles won the International Division while Toronto Supra Portuguese and Windsor Border Stars clinched the two remaining playoff berths.

Ottawa Italia took the long way around to the final, defeating Laval Dynamites, London City, Windsor Border Stars and Brampton Stallions before meeting the USL Division 1 Lynx in the final at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York, a game postponed from the Labour Day weekend in London due to heavy rains.

Striker Abraham Osman was the hero for the Capital City team in the shock result, scoring two second half goals at 62 and 81 minutes. Ottawa Italia now has one remaining goal in 2006, to win the Canadian championship in October for a clean sweep of the three major competitions outside of the Ottawa Carleton Soccer League's Premier Division it has undertaken to win.

In regular season CSL action on Sunday, Serbian White Eagles scored a well deserved 3-0 victory over Toronto Croatia to win the International Conference in the inaugural year for the Eagles and for the international division which started the 2006 campaign with five teams and is expected to add two or three in 2007.

Windsor Border Stars defeated North York Astros, 2-0, and Toronto Supra Portuguese blitzed Caribbean Selects 9-0 to complete the eight teams entering the playoffs at the beginning of October. Border Stars and Supra Portuguese join Serbian White Eagles, Toronto Croatia, Italia Shooters, Oakville Blue Devils, Brampton Stallions and Laval Dynamites in the playoffs.

Eliminated from the playoffs are St. Catharines Wolves, North York Astros, London City and Caribbean Selects.

CSL leading goalscorer, Gabriel Pop, added two more goals to his credit in the Serbian 3-0 win at Lamport Stadium, lifting his tally to 23 so far this season following a pair also on Friday night in the 4-0 defeat of London City. Pop scored at 80 and 85 minutes after Dragan Radovic opened the scoring for the Serbian team at 55 minutes. Two players, Robert Fran of Toronto Croatia and Milan Janosevic of Serbian White Eagles were each shown a red in the first half, both for violent conduct.

Italia Shooters and Brampton Stallions, two teams having clinched playoff berths before Sunday’s games, fought to a 1-1 tie at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan and in the second game at Esther Shiner Stadium, the important goals to put Windsor into the playoffs were scored by Ablaye Abbulla at 23 minutes and Tino Scicluna at 80 minutes.

There are three games remaining in the CSL regular season schedule and the playoffs get underway the weekend of October 1, with the championship game set for Monday, October 9.

Hey I was at that game and i enjoyed it very much. It seemed that the Lynx were constantly attacking with the Ottawa boys just having a whole bunch of luck with the errand shooting of the Lynx forwards.St.Anthonys also loaded up the defense while the finishing was bad really bad, the chances were there.The goals were all breakaway goals were Ottawa seemed to have the space to score.The goals were beauties.One of those games were nothing goes right as far as the Lynx I presume goes.

I met a whole bunch of old soccer friends including Dick Howard as well as Vince Versini Vice President of the CSA,Alfons Rubbens from Inside soccer,Gary Miller from Brijst International, Bruno Hartell as well as Les Jones, Chairman of the Soccer Hall Of Fame selection committee.

I just don't like looking at a game played on a football field, those

lines drive you crazy.It seemed that the turf itself was very playable and performed very well.

The cup is "huge'and should be a great succes for the future.

I estimated the crowd around 700 or so.

There was only one coffee stand with only one serving who also managed to make the french fries while serving the line up.Remarkable.

There was very little rain during the game.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Not sure that this should surprise people after the two 1-0 scorelines against AEK London and Hamilton Serbians. The Lynx don't pay enough money to be able to attract all the potentially available players in southern Ontario into a pro soccer career.

Very few if any USL First Division teams employ full time professional players. The vast majority of players need another job to make ends meet. This is what makes such a mockery of the CSL pretending to be a professional league.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Very few if any USL First Division teams employ full time professional players. The vast majority of players need another job to make ends meet. This is what makes such a mockery of the CSL pretending to be a professional league.

No real argument from me on that but they do train a bit more seriously than CSL and elite amateur from what I understand. USL-D1 is a bit like the semi-pro setup top Scandanavian teams used to have basically due to the short summer season.

You're probably right on the USL D1 training bit. The Whitecaps train almost every day in-season, albeit only for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time as a team, don't know about other teams. Elite amateur teams that I have encountered typically train twice a week for about 1.5 - 2 hours at a time.

From what I can make out the only fulltime 'professionals' in the CSL are the league commissioner and whatever fulltime staff they employ in the league office!

Result of the Sunday September 24, 2006 Open Canada Cup Final between Toronto Lynx and Ottawa St Anthony’s Italia played at Esther Shiner in North York at 5:00pm.

55 min…Ottawa Abraham Osman GOAL…OSAI Ladislas Kikunda on run to right end line and from 15 yards sends roller past goalie Chris Baker who was standing near the end line and Osman taps in 3 yarder on right post holding off charging defender.

81 min…Ottawa Abraham Osman GOAL…OSAI Souleyman Gagou cross from right 20 yards while on rush, ball is through Lynx Andres Arango and Osman boots in 5 yarder to middle of net.

Final Score:……Toronto Lynx………0…………Ottawa St Anthony’s Italia……….2…………

Attendance was about 200 people on this cool rainy day. People had to pop open their umbrellas before and during the game about three times and that probably helped kill off the walk up crowd. This game was run by the group from London City who still had the rights to the game that was originally scheduled for the Labour Day weekend. This game site was a compromise. Ottawa St Anthony’s Italia didn’t want to play last weekend because they were still in Ontario Cup action and they wouldn’t travel on weekends. The Lynx season ended two weeks earlier when they didn’t make the USL playoffs and it was hard to keep all their players together.

Before the game, Lynx coach Duncan Wilde said he hoped that he wouldn’t have to use any of his teenage Academy players. I saw once I had a listing of the rosters that the Lynx had a good starting line-up but really didn’t have any depth to their reserves and they’d have to go with their starting line-up.

Lynx starters: goal Chris Baker (didn't play all year)

Defenders Chris Williams, Andres Arango, Rick Titus

Midfield Gordon Chin, Joe Mattacchione, David DiPlacido, Edgar Bartolomeu, Marko Bedenikovic

Forwards Damien Pottinger, Matthew Palleschi

A very acceptable starting eleven for any USL game. It was on the bench where they were thin. Just Osni Neto, Cameron Medwin, and Aaron Steele had any USL experience.

The rest were Academy players Anthony Doran, Mackenzie Wilde, and Steve Lumley.

Medwin replaced Bedenikovic at halftime. Neto replaces Bartolomeu at 64 minutes. After the second goal Wilde made four changes including

bringing in the rest of his bench. Ottawa didn’t make any subs until after their second goal.

Gordon Chin filled in for the role of Robbie Aristodemo for a good winger and dead ball kicker. He's matured well from the first games of the year. Also a surprise was David DiPlacido taking more accurate shots and headers than he had all season.

Angus Wong had the shutout for Ottawa. Lynx had the most ball possession but were let down by inaccurate and mostly long distance shooting. Good defending by Simon Bonk, Kwame Telemarque, and Kwesi Loney. I recognized right off five players who I’d watched over the years from the defunct CPSL Ottawa Wizards.

I had talked with officials from St Anthony’s Italia before the game and they say they have been approached by the CSL about joining the league.

This team would be a perfect fit if there is an Eastern division of Montreal and Ottawa based teams. One executive said they are used to travelling and usually rent a bigger bus than the one they brought today and usually get here the day before the game when they’re visiting other teams. They have team sponsors and usually play at Terry Fox Stadium in Ottawa but sometimes rent out Oz Optics Stadium in Carp for big draw games. Yes they only want to play on weekends. They have enough money to operate but the franchise fees that the CSL wants is too much for them. This is the second time in three years that they’ve made the final of this competition. They recently won the Ontario Cup beating GS United and will be travelling to British Columbia later in the year for the national playoffs.

The game wasn’t really rough and referee Joe Fletcher didn’t give out a Yellow card until 67 minutes.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Can't wait for the excuses from the USL fans around here.

Yes with this lineup the Lynx should have won. It is an embarrasment for an organization that knows far too well what embarrasment is. Yet it is hard to compare a one off one match result with one of the USL's poorer teams to what happened in the Open Cup. First off in Cup competitions especially in a tie with only one match upsets happen quite frequently for a variety of reasons. Yet in this Open Cup two amateur teams defeated a number of the top CSL teams (ie. a long term trend not a one off result) and only one CSL team even made the semifinals. If St. Anthony's played several of the better USL teams and beat them I might agree that the USL sucked but I think most of the USL teams would beat St. Anthony's fairly easily particularly teams like the Impact and Whitecaps.

quote:I had talked with officials from St Anthony’s Italia before the game and they say they have been approached by the CSL about joining the league.

This team would be a perfect fit if there is an Eastern division of Montreal and Ottawa based teams. One executive said they are used to travelling and usually rent a bigger bus than the one they brought today and usually get here the day before the game when they’re visiting other teams. They have team sponsors and usually play at Terry Fox Stadium in Ottawa but sometimes rent out Oz Optics Stadium in Carp for big draw games. Yes they only want to play on weekends. They have enough money to operate but the franchise fees that the CSL wants is too much for them. This is the second time in three years that they’ve made the final of this competition

Exactly what I have been saying. The better teams in Ontario don't want to join the CSL because the franchise fees are far higher than what the league has to offer.

St. Anthony's are a very good amateur squad.

Let's see how they do at the Nationals.

The Lynx are a very poor professional squad. One of the bottom teams in the USL; didn't make the playoffs.

They not only got beat by St. Anthony's, didn't they win in a shoot-out against Hamilton? and by a goal over AEK of London?

CSL Canada Cup huge prize? Lousy $10k. Let's not get too excited.

quote:Originally posted by T5

It's a start. And more than what the CSA has offered. The CSL has ambitions and they are building a foundation for those ambitions. If the prize money is still $10k in 10 years, then even I would admit those ambitions were not fully realized. Until then, good on the CSL and congrats to St. Anthony's. I'm sure they're not complaining about the $10k.

Tall poppy syndrome.

That’s what I think attitudes like what are being demonstrated above represent. Yes, the cash is piddly. Yes the C(P)SL has its faults. But for God’s sake at least they are trying something.

It’s a bloody disgrace that Canada doesn’t have an open cup. Or didn’t, because now we do. Unless the people /teams who could make it work/grow piss on it. Which is the Canadian way, especially when it comes to soccer.

I watched the US Open Cup in Fox Sports World Canada last night. Decent crowd, entertaining game, a tonne of excitement when the game ended. Wouldn’t be nice if we could one day have something like that here?

Anyway...TFC will have open dates next year when the US Open Cup plays. To me, TFC should be playing Canadian Open Cup games on those dates. It goes without saying that the Lynx/Impact and ‘caps should be in the competition too.

But i’m not holding my breath because we’re Canadian.

Tall Poppy Syndrome.

The Lynx are a very poor professional squad. One of the bottom teams in the USL; didn't make the playoffs.

The Lynx were actually one of the better USL teams over the second half of the season. They missed the playoffs because of a very poor start to the season. Ottawa is a reasonably big city. Put all the best players living there on one team and it shouldn't be surprising IMO that they can give a USL team a run for their money.

Archived