Anyone going to the U-20 Friendly in Kingston?

KAS

Just wondering if anyone is planning on going to the second U-20 friendly aginst the US in Kingston?

I'm seriously thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I would do both the Kingston and Toronto matches, so I might just end up picking one. I imagine that the World Cup final will be over early enough for people to still make it to Kingston in time. I live in Whitby, and having made the drive dozens of times (former Carleton and Queen's U student), I know that it takes me 1.75-2hrs of moderately fast driving, or 1.5hrs while channelling the spirit of Gilles Villeneuve (done that more times than I care to admit). Of course, Kingston has a few nice places for the early birds to watch the World Cup in. That is probably what I would do.

So, anyone for Kingston?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I was considering going. But after the way the CSA and their agents treated the fans in Vancouver, I'm not going to go out of my way anymore. I'll go to the Toronto game, simply because of its convenience.

Yeah, that'll show 'em...!

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I was considering going. But after the way the CSA and their agents treated the fans in Vancouver, I'm not going to go out of my way anymore. I'll go to the Toronto game, simply because of its convenience.

I think most national team fans go to support the players and the nation not because they particularly love their national soccer association. If a professional club team's management was treating its fans poorly I might consider boycotting it (depending on the level of my attachment to the club) but not for my national team. If the whole CSA brass showed up at the games wearing Brazil or US jerseys I would still go to support the Canadian players. I am not saying you are obliged to drive 200 km to attend the game but the CSA not having enough respect for our fan group would not be a good reason not to attend. If we keep showing up in numbers they will have to respect and deal with us whether they like it or not. If we don't show up our players will continue to play before hostile crowds at home.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think most national team fans go to support the players and the nation not because they particularly love their national soccer association. If a professional club team's management was treating its fans poorly I might consider boycotting it (depending on the level of my attachment to the club) but not for my national team. If the whole CSA brass showed up at the games wearing Brazil or US jerseys I would still go to support the Canadian players. I am not saying you are obliged to drive 200 km to attend the game but the CSA not having enough respect for our fan group would not be a good reason not to attend. If we keep showing up in numbers they will have to respect and deal with us whether they like it or not. If we don't show up our players will continue to play before hostile crowds at home.

Exactly. If a few rent-a-cops removing a banner is going to keep fans away, what does that say about the fans?

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Exactly. If a few rent-a-cops removing a banner is going to keep fans away, what does that say about the fans?

It's a personal choice, Marc. Frankly I am not going to T.O. and

Kingston and would rather take a "wait and see" approach. I

personally am refusing to go to Swangard because of the distasteful

events that have transpired in the recent past. I may go to Montreal

in Sept., as I know we'd get better treatment there.

As for the "what does it say about the fans" comment, well, that's

your own perspective. I've driven to Boston, gone to Kingston,

flew to Seattle and Vancouver, to see our MNT play. As well, I've

bought blocks of tickets for friends during MNT games in Winnipeg,

as well as during the Pan Am Games. And like Massive Attack,

I've gladly distributed DVDs of Canada games to quite a few Voyageurs.

So the record is very clear of the type of fans that the CSA has

pis$ed off. We just refuse to be abused on our home turf.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

flew to Seattle and Vancouver, to see our MNT play.

jesus tap dancing christ, I'd like to support the MNT but how many people have a budget that compares to the MNT (which is isn't much but meh).

Tap dancing christ ;) Reminds me of the "buddy christ" character

in the movie "Dogma" ...

As for travelling, yeah, some of us have some funds to do this.

But not enough to start our own league. ;)

We do this for the love of country and our team. But it wasn't

always like this; my wife and I DROVE from Winnipeg to Boston

for the 2003 Gold Cup. Believe me, meeting the V's and some

of the players' families, as well as seeing Diesel destroy the hopes

of 10,000 Ticos, was worth it.

Most Voyageurs are great people to hang out with, and guys like

Vancouver Fan, Cheeta, GL, canso, Grizzly, matthew, MA, Gordon, and

even the Keays are the kind of diehards the CSA really need. (There were even others that flew to Egypt, Costa Rica, Scotland, and

Austria, so my Seattle trek pales in comparison.)

Brilliant.....

"Even the Keays are die hard"......

Is that a shot at me or a compliemnt.. either or its nice to see respect for my brother and I

Also, i dont see why my brother would get a bum wrap on any kind from this board, he is a polite nice guy.

Me on the other hand, am a **** disturber who loves the game and will speak my mind.

But yes, id give my left nut for us in the cup

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Tap dancing christ ;) Reminds me of the "buddy christ" character

in the movie "Dogma" ...

As for travelling, yeah, some of us have some funds to do this.

But not enough to start our own league. ;)

We do this for the love of country and our team. But it wasn't

always like this; my wife and I DROVE from Winnipeg to Boston

for the 2003 Gold Cup. Believe me, meeting the V's and some

of the players' families, as well as seeing Diesel destroy the hopes

of 10,000 Ticos, was worth it.

Most Voyageurs are great people to hang out with, and guys like

Vancouver Fan, Cheeta, GL, canso, Grizzly, matthew, MA, Gordon, and

even the Keays are the kind of diehards the CSA really need. (There were even others that flew to Egypt, Costa Rica, Scotland, and

Austria, so my Seattle trek pales in comparison.)

I've been too busy to weigh in on the banner flap, but my head agrees with Marc, but my heart more goes with redhat. It's hard and depressing trying to follow the Canadian national team. And that's not even the on the pitch stuff. The players appeciate us and Sharpe was amazing to me, my bro and my friend in Edmonton, but for all that they've cancelled one game I travelled to and almost cancelled another. We are almost without fail treated worse than the other nations fans (be it with steel drum bands or being constantly asked to sit down when no one says boo to the visiting fans a section over, forced to fight for the seats we paid for as the other fans stand wherever they feel like).

I don't think I'll stop going, but for me the nearest game is eight hours away. It takes effort. It takes money (that I usually don't have) and it takes holiday time. I'm not too bent out of joint about the act of taking down a banner, I really don't care that much to be honest. But the act itself is just symbolic of all of the little frustrations. And when I have to decide a month in advance if I'm going to go, these continued issues dampens the enthusiasm to commit right away.

I mean compare the average act of seeing Canada here — one guy putting a block of seats on his credit card and hoping for the best only to wind up seated next to an equal group of visiting supporters with no separation, no real security and the local Ethnic community association dancing across the field pre game — to what we had in Scotland. The SFA e-mailed us back right away and answered concerns. They guaranteed us an alottment of seats. They gave us a number to call and a date in advance so we knew when we had to purchase tickets and the tickets we received were in the order we purchased them. Once we got there, we knew where we could pick up our tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line too before the match and we had our own gate to enter, we had stewards who let us know about hanging flags and we were all seated together. They even bent the rules to let us leave the ground and come back because we'd missed the program sellers outside the stadium.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

What the hell???

Another Vee from whitby????

IM THE TOKEN WHITBY GUY!!! MOVE, MOVE FAR FAR AWAY!!

Well, I'm 29 and my family moved to Whitby from Pickering in 1987. So do I get to pull rank?

quote:

Anywho...where in whitby do you live?

From 1987-98 "Home Base" (I'm really a nomadic "career university student" - Carleton and Queens' U) was in the West Lynde area. Since 98, it has been at Brock and Manning - across from Starburger!

Boo..... starrburger

Im a johnnys guy myself!!! Burger, fries, pop, gravy and crazy johnny for 5.50!!

Im @ brock and dryden lol

Starrburger has the best burgers in Durham! I've never heard of your choice. Are you refering to North End Burgers? I guess the food there is ok if you can ignore the extremely outdated set-up and hockey memoribilia - and the numerous fines for health code violations!

I remember that in all the highschools you were either a "Starburger" person, or a "North End" person, with Henry people mostly going to North End, and Austin to Starburger. These cliques were the two most violent gangs in the poor badass ghetto projects that is Whitby. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

So you're just up the road from me then. That's cool - I went to Father Leo J Austin, so I took that corner at speed to try to get to school on time on many occassions.

Sorry to all the other poster reading this s**t - I'll make it soccer related next time.

Back to Kingston.

I'll be driving through Kingston at 8:30 on Saturday morning on my way to Toronto (to see the Toronto-Montreal game), anyone know of a place where I can stop for breakfast and catch the England game.

The same goes for the World Cup final on July 9, I plan to drive down to Kingston to seee the World Cup final and then go to the Canada-USA U-20 game.

Yea... North end is what im talkin bout....

so how bout that soccer :)

On a related note, I have a question for you: any ideas on a good place in Whitby or area to catch a World Cup game? Anyplace that will show ALL of the games? I'm social while in Kingston and Ottawa, but when in Whitby I act like a hermit, so I'm having trouble thinking of much beyond the Tap&Tankard, or the Tilted Kilt. Where do you go?

Archived