Mitchell Announces U-20's for Porto Tourny......

Oh, boiz, oh boiz.

A thread about Canadian soccer where I don't have to mention, Toronto, stadiums or MLS ( AHHHHHHH...... shaddup learn to take a joke ;)) and I can be a homer at the same time :D

Way to go Olivier Babineau being named to the squad and when did you enroll at Université de Montréal?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Why have they not specifically come out and said that they did not call up Jonathan de Guzman for this tournament because he refuses to commmit to Canada yet?

As An Observer said, they have already done this in the past. I can rememer at least two CSA press releases in which Jon is specifically mentioned as turning down the invite.

It seems that the CSA, unlike you, does not want to beat a dead horse.

Besides, why would they mention Jonathan in this press release if they probably never even invited him?

quote:Couldn't we just as well argue that the call-ups of Gómez from River and others also are a reaction to criticisms that they are discriminating?

Considering the fact that Gomez has been to previous U-20 camps, this argument holds no water whatsoever.

If this was his first call-up, then perhaps you'd have a case.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Oh, boiz, oh boiz.

A thread about Canadian soccer where I don't have to mention, Toronto, stadiums or MLS ( AHHHHHHH...... shaddup learn to take a joke ;)) and I can be a homer at the same time :D

Way to go Olivier Babineau being named to the squad and when did you enroll at Université de Montréal?

It seems like Babineau has been with U de M since this fall, it was his first season.

http://www.carabins.umontreal.ca/01-Equipes/7-1_SocM.htm

He wasn't on any of the 2 all stars team but that often means nothing IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

it is like answering a question that has not been asked. That is poor sportmanship on their part, and an abuse of their position of privilege.

This is not too unusual. Every national program in the world reacts in call-ups to press pressure and fan pressure. Clubs do it as well, with press and fans virtually putting certain players in a squad that a coach is not so sure about. So it is a good thing I'd say. Maybe we are getting somewhere.

This just exemplifies the fact that there is nothing that the CSA could do that would ever satisfy you.

Yet you take credit for "pressuring" the CSA for a call-up on

Vitoria, Gomez, et.al., even though they have done so already in the

past.

Can't we just be pleased that a relatively strong group was called up?

I mean, be critical of the CSA when justified, but give them credit

when it's due ...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

This just exemplifies the fact that there is nothing that the CSA could do that would ever satisfy you.

Yet you take credit for "pressuring" the CSA for a call-up on

Vitoria, Gomez, et.al., even though they have done so already in the

past.

when it's due ...

Anyone that thinks they have pressured Mitchell into calling a player is obviously dellusional and possibly mentally-ill.

Redhat, up for Bar-Italia this evening ?

Agree Redhat. Just like I've said earlier in this thread 40 players have been called since october for our U-20 MNT, it's hard to criticize the CSA for not putting the effort for this team. They even have organize 3 home friendlies against Brazil.

Ucello is an 1986 according to the CSA website so he's too old. But he'll be OK for the U-23 who'll try to qualify for Bejing.

when it's due ...

Amen

Can't say I agree with any conspiracy theories either, and I like the fact they mentioned that Vitoria declined. The question requires an answer.

Most of the "name-regulars" are either with this squad, injured, club committed or non-committed to Canada. The only somewhat-regulars absent and unexplained (not suggesting an explanation is required)are the keeper Kalthoff at Southampton, Masumi Turnbull and Massimo DiIoia.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Redhat, up for Bar-Italia this evening ?

Would have been a great idea, but unfortunately I have tax

returns to finish ...[}:)]

Rain check, I guess, or I'll buy you several at the Jamaica

match in September ...

Look, with players like Begovic as keeper; Edgar, O'Conner and Nunez on defence; Lensky Gomez and McCallum in mid and Johnson and Lombardo up front, not to mention the College players of whom I am not too familiar with to round out the team this is a strong squad. It is not a matter of the glass being half full (or half empty) it is near the brim. Yet most of this thread is about who was not called and when were they not called and an arguement about the CSA. Give it a break, the first match is less than a week away, speculate if we should go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, who should be where, who should be captain, should we have a defensive formation against Portugal and offensive against China, is Norway's style kick and run like their league is rumoured to be and is that a help ar hinderance to our chances.

Here endeth the rant.

You're right Ken, but as we haven't seen most of those players it's kind of tough to speculate on what should be done to win games and who should start. But the good news is that we'll have 2 of the 3 Brazil games broadcast by Sportsnet and therefore it will be easier to speculate on those things.

Begovic should start in goal. Edgar could be our captain but I don,t know much about those kids leadership abilities so it's just speculation at the moment. I like our forwards, Johnson and Lombardo have both pro experience at a pretty good level and I think Johnson could also play in the midfield if needed. I'm not familiar with the midfield players so I cannot comment on that but will next month!!!!

Would have been a great idea, but unfortunately I have tax

returns to finish ...[}:)]

Rain check, I guess, or I'll buy you several at the Jamaica

match in September ...

Just remembered that I am running a marathon (Queen City) that week. Unfortunetly I have already registered, so I won't be attending the jamaica match. If you are in the Peg though, we will definetly have a Peg gathering for the match.

Well said Ken.

This is a fantastic looking team and some of the key guys we're going to need in 07 (Lensky and O'Connor esp) look to be on board.

I think in the big picture the biggest question is who pairs with Edgar in the middle of the defence and if it has to be Beaulieu-Bourgeault who plays d-mid.

I think: Oliviera---Edgar--->--?---O'Connor looks like a good bet for the backline in this tourney and I guess we'll see more of what Lumley and Loreth can do. I thought we were loaded with d-mids, but with Edgar moving to CB (a move I'm a big fan of) and Oliviera at RB it appears, we're a little low on options. Esp without B-B and Kerr McLeod.

I assume Lensky plays on the left (with Mayard a good backup). Babineau and Nunez are more central, but I would think could play on the right (maybe they usually play on the right? I'm just going by the Canada Games) I have no idea where Manny Gomez prefers to play? Anyone else know? Is McCallum left-footed too? I don't remember.

Up front we're really spoiled for choice even without Simeon Jackson. I thought Johnson-Lombardo were a lock starting strike force for 07, but add Jacksonand Revivo as another target option plus Elliott I imagine D'Agostino will have to be pushed into the midfield though its nice to have some versatile options.

I hope we show more midfield depth at this tournament, though with Peters--DeGuzman--Lensky we look to have a really nice core group (I'm feeling optimistic today).

Anyway I hope we have a good showing and some of the newer faces show as well as I think we're expecting them to.

P.S. does anyone remember seeing Caulfield, the other keeper, get in the mix before?

cheers,

matthew

My google search indicated that Caulfield was attending West Florida University (NCAA D2) last fall and he's now with Lynn University (D2) but he has never played a game for any of those teams. He was training at the Ontario NTC before attending WFU. I've never seen his name with a canadian youth team before.

A bit of a surprising selection since we have Vincent Cournoyer at Mouscron who hasn't been called yet (Monsalve, Begovic, Buxton, Zalhtoff, Catley and Caulfield have already been called to at least a camp) but we've learn from past team that some of those NCAA keepers can be better than those european base keeper.

here's his WFU bio: http://goargos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/caulfield_stefan00.html

here's a pic of him with his North York Azzuri 2005 team: http://www.thesoccerhalloffame.ca/OntarioCup.nsf/2ab4d8b1b4a7c66b8525654c007a884c/18d12952f510604785257097006102a9?OpenDocument

quote:Originally posted by ken

is Norway's style kick and run like their league is rumoured to be

Norway's mens NT has long played "kick and run" and unfortunately the current coach continues that style of play. The league, however, features a mix of teams playing that style and teams emphasizing ball control through the midfield. There is a movement afoot in Norway to develop more ball control styles of play, the the U19 team is one of the places where they try to emphasise this. Unless the Norwegians have a miserable tourey, they should not be playing too many long balls.

Oh, boiz, oh boiz.

For your information, he is now at the montreal Impact training camp along with Christian Nunez who was also called for this match.

Oh, boiz, oh boiz.

For your information, he is now at the montreal Impact training camp along with Christian Nunez who was also called for this match.

To help this thread get back on track, here's a Winthrop article about Revivo selection:

http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=6&type=story&id=3407

Revivo Traveling To Portugal With U-20 Canadian National Team

Revivo to make second trip with U-20 National Team

ROCK HILL, SC-- Winthrop freshman forward Daniel Revivo departed today with the U-20 Canadian National soccer team for Porto, Portugal where it will compete in the 24th Porto International Tournament April 7-16.

Revivo is making his first appearance with the team since he scored four goals for the squad at the Chivas Cup in Mexico back in early January.

The team will play three games in four days against the U-20 teams from Norway, China and Portugal.

"This is the second time Daniel (Revivo) has been called up to the U-20 National Team," said head coach Rich Posipanko. "Every time he gets these opportunities it moves him closer to reaching his dream of making the U-20 World Cup roster in 2007. I hope he has as much success as he had at the Chivas Cup in Mexico back in January. I would also like to think he will gain a valuable personal and educational experience from spending time in Portugal."

Matches

April 12 - CANADA vs. Norway

Minicipal Stadium of Bateria - Porto, Portugal @ 3:00 PM

April 13 - CANADA vs. China

Stadium of Rebordosa - Porto, Portugal @ 4:00 PM

April 14 - CANADA vs. Portugal

Municipal Stadium of Povoa de Varzim - Porto, Portugal @ 11:30

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/2006-04-12/10012155825.shtml

U-20 coach Dale Mitchell gave an interview to chinese reporter Ma Dexing in Portugal.

Nothing new in the report. He complains about there is no real professional soccer in Canada. It's hard to get all the players together. Only because this tournament takes place in Portugal, he can bring more europe-based players together. No real ojective for this tournament except letting all the players know each other more.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/p/2006-04-12/10482156081.shtml

Dale Mitchell's picture

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/2006-04-12/09482155799.shtml

Another report is on the Portuguese team in the tournament. Only 7 players are in the first team of their clubs: 5 are in Porto B team, 1 in Portugues Second division and the other one Feliciano Condesso is playing for southampton in England. The rest all play in the youth reserves of their respetive club.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/2006-04-12/10012155825.shtml

U-20 coach Dale Mitchell gave an interview to chinese reporter Ma Dexing in Portugal.

Nothing new in the report. He complains about there is no real professional soccer in Canada. It's hard to get all the players together. Only because this tournament takes place in Portugal, he can bring more europe-based players together. No real ojective for this tournament except letting all the players know each other more.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/p/2006-04-12/10482156081.shtml

Dale Mitchell's picture

http://sports.sina.com.cn/n/2006-04-12/09482155799.shtml

Another report is on the Portuguese team in the tournament. Only 7 players are in the first team of their clubs: 5 are in Porto B team, 1 in Portugues Second division and the other one Feliciano Condesso is playing for southampton in England. The rest all play in the youth reserves of their respetive club.

Does anyone know if there will be any live coverage of today's match on the web? I'd love to follow it.

Do the Canadian U20s play a 4-3-3 like the senior men? Norway does.

The coach prefers a fairly offensive system, with attacking outside backs, a central DM and two "runners" in the midfield who are expected to play key roles at both ends of the field. Based on the squad selection, the wingers should be just that: classic outside wingers who will take on defenders one-on-one and lay crosses into the box.

Key players to watch are Bjarne Ingebretsen, (a midfielder who has already started several Eliteserien games for Lyn), Glenn Roberts (a striker who made some appearances for the Vålerenga senior team the past few months), and Magnus Mikkelsen (a winger who showed good form for Start this winter)

Archived