USL Canadian teams: moves and rumors...

Alberto7

A lot happening these days.

Confirmed:

Mike Franks released by Vancouver

http://www.uslfans.com/news/2006/news,2006,0015.shtml

Rumors:

The Impact to trade Eduardo Sebrango to the Whitecaps for Dan Antoniuk.

Leonardo Di Lorenzo(from Argentina) on trial with the Impact.

Sita-Taty Matondo to sign(or has signed) for Vancouver.

Huffman Eja Tabe to Vancouver.

other moves anyone?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

"...At this time the Whitecaps are looking for another goalkeeper to complement Josh Wicks.”

This coming from Lenarduzzi is a bit disappointing. First, Wicks was not even considered 2nd keeper, he was behind our Serge Djekanovic at the start of last season and shifted up when Serge was injured. Second, Lilley had told Djekanovic he had real chances to play this year. I hope they are not forgetting about him, since he showed his talent taking UBC to the national championship, and is as good or better than Wicks (who I have nothing against, in fact have spoken to him quite a bit; I would just prefer to see a Canadian if all things are equal).

Correct, the FVSL team did beat the 'Caps tonight. Check http://www.bcsoccerweb.com Wednesday for photos from the game. The Fraser Valley lads played with a lot of heart and did well. The 'Caps mostly played their unknown players with lots of changes and reorganisation. Clearly the coaching staff was just taking a look. In games like this the two clubs approach the event with very different agendas.

I agree with Analyst that the Impact are clear winners in this trade. Basically a case of Lilley going for a player who he likes and who played well for him when he coached Montreal. Sebrango scored 18 goals, 4 years ago under Lilley but since then he has had injury problems and not been very productive. Even if he stays healthy and productive this year, how many more seasons does he have in him? That is also a very big if, he has only had one good season in the last 4 years and actually only 2 good seasons in the last 7 years. It seems that on ability this is a fairly even trade but factor in age, injury susceptability and recent form and Montreal is a clear winner. Note DeSantis' comment about thinking about the future. The big problem with Montreal recently is that they have been solid at the back and mid but lacked scoring punch, ie. lots of possession but not many goals. When we have had a good striker he quickly moved to Scandanavia. With Salles and Antoniuk the Impact seemed to have remedied this problem and these two have different styles that should complement each other. Since neither are Canadian hopefully the Impact won't feel compelled to sell them on mid-season to help their career.

One of the main reasons behind the success of the Impact is the idiocy

of the other two Canadian teams when trading with them.

IMPACT ACQUIRES DANIEL ANTONIUK

MONTREAL, March 28, 2006 – The Montreal Impact has acquired American forward Daniel Antoniuk, who finished fourth in United Soccer Leagues First Division scoring last season with 13 goals, from the Vancouver Whitecaps in return for forward Eduardo Sebrango.

Antoniuk, who was the Portland Timbers’ leading scorer in 2005, had become a free agent and signed a two-year deal with the Whitecaps on February 1st.

“He is a power forward with good size and who’s strong in the penalty area,” said Impact head coach Nick De Santis. “He has a big presense in front of the net that will give us the opportunity to play different offensive styles. He also allows us to have a younger team. It was a difficult decision to take because Eduardo was very appreciated and was a valuable asset to the team, but we also have to think about the club’s future.

Antoniuk, 25, is 6’3” and 195 pounds. He spent the last three seasons with the Portland Timbers. He led the team in scoring last year with 28 points in 2,021 minutes of play, earning him a spot on the All-League Second Team. Antoniuk was a member of the USL First Division Team of the Week five times in 2005 and was named Player of the Week for Week 21 after scoring four goals in wins over Atlanta and Richmond.

He also scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 Portland win over the Impact, last August 10, at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.

Antoniuk is expected in Montreal this weekend, in time for the start of the Impact’s training camp, April 3.

With his acquisition, the Impact now has four players who finished among the league’s top 10 last year in goals and points. The others are Mauro Biello, Kirk Wilson and Mauricio Salles.

Sebrango, who will turn 33 on April 14, will have played a total of four seasons with Montreal. He had his best year with the Impact in 2002, when he scored 18 goals and tallied 36 points, two club records. He was, however, hampered by injuries in each of the last three seasons. This will be his second stint with Vancouver. In 1999, he finished second in team and league scoring with 18 goals and 10 assists.

The Impact will kick off the 2006 USL D1 season on Sunday, April 23 in Florida, against the expansion-team Miami F.C. The Montreal club will play the 13th home opener of its history at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex on Sunday, May 21, against the Minnesota Thunder.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

"...At this time the Whitecaps are looking for another goalkeeper to complement Josh Wicks.”

This coming from Lenarduzzi is a bit disappointing. First, Wicks was not even considered 2nd keeper, he was behind our Serge Djekanovic at the start of last season and shifted up when Serge was injured. .

Wicks was NEVER the 3rd string keeper at any point last year. He was the number 2 right from training camp.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I agree with Analyst that the Impact are clear winners in this trade. Basically a case of Lilley going for a player who he likes and who played well for him when he coached Montreal. Sebrango scored 18 goals, 4 years ago under Lilley but since then he has had injury problems and not been very productive. Even if he stays healthy and productive this year, how many more seasons does he have in him? That is also a very big if, he has only had one good season in the last 4 years and actually only 2 good seasons in the last 7 years. It seems that on ability this is a fairly even trade but factor in age, injury susceptability and recent form and Montreal is a clear winner. Note DeSantis' comment about thinking about the future. The big problem with Montreal recently is that they have been solid at the back and mid but lacked scoring punch, ie. lots of possession but not many goals. When we have had a good striker he quickly moved to Scandanavia. With Salles and Antoniuk the Impact seemed to have remedied this problem and these two have different styles that should complement each other. Since neither are Canadian hopefully the Impact won't feel compelled to sell them on mid-season to help their career.

One of the main reasons behind the success of the Impact is the idiocy

of the other two Canadian teams when trading with them.

IMPACT ACQUIRES DANIEL ANTONIUK

MONTREAL, March 28, 2006 – The Montreal Impact has acquired American forward Daniel Antoniuk, who finished fourth in United Soccer Leagues First Division scoring last season with 13 goals, from the Vancouver Whitecaps in return for forward Eduardo Sebrango.

Antoniuk, who was the Portland Timbers’ leading scorer in 2005, had become a free agent and signed a two-year deal with the Whitecaps on February 1st.

“He is a power forward with good size and who’s strong in the penalty area,” said Impact head coach Nick De Santis. “He has a big presense in front of the net that will give us the opportunity to play different offensive styles. He also allows us to have a younger team. It was a difficult decision to take because Eduardo was very appreciated and was a valuable asset to the team, but we also have to think about the club’s future.

Antoniuk, 25, is 6’3” and 195 pounds. He spent the last three seasons with the Portland Timbers. He led the team in scoring last year with 28 points in 2,021 minutes of play, earning him a spot on the All-League Second Team. Antoniuk was a member of the USL First Division Team of the Week five times in 2005 and was named Player of the Week for Week 21 after scoring four goals in wins over Atlanta and Richmond.

He also scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 Portland win over the Impact, last August 10, at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.

Antoniuk is expected in Montreal this weekend, in time for the start of the Impact’s training camp, April 3.

With his acquisition, the Impact now has four players who finished among the league’s top 10 last year in goals and points. The others are Mauro Biello, Kirk Wilson and Mauricio Salles.

Sebrango, who will turn 33 on April 14, will have played a total of four seasons with Montreal. He had his best year with the Impact in 2002, when he scored 18 goals and tallied 36 points, two club records. He was, however, hampered by injuries in each of the last three seasons. This will be his second stint with Vancouver. In 1999, he finished second in team and league scoring with 18 goals and 10 assists.

The Impact will kick off the 2006 USL D1 season on Sunday, April 23 in Florida, against the expansion-team Miami F.C. The Montreal club will play the 13th home opener of its history at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex on Sunday, May 21, against the Minnesota Thunder.

If you saw Antoniuk in training last weekend, you wouldn't have been impressed. 4 goals last year from Sebrango in an injury filled year where he only appeared in 12 games.

Sebrango is also more identifyable having played at Swangard before, and next to Jordan, Woolfok, Corazza and Gjertson, he's the only experienced guy. He's also a guy who scores important goals, and actually gets along with Lilly.

Lets wait and see who really won this trade. Mauricio Salles is a 6 foot 4 target man...so is Antoniuk. Do you need two of the same type of players?

They don't have many young Canadians trying out....really makes you wonder about the whitecaps development policy. I personally have the feeling that one of the major reasons for the success of the Impact is in relation to their development policy. They always have young guys pushing the older guys for spots and playing time. It keeps the older guys focused which improves their game (and eventually leads to them being sold on to European sides). The caps always seem reluctant to nurture young talent and give them a chance. It seems to have an effect on the older guys to make them less keen and a bit lazy. For that reason its not surprising these guys never seem to move on as they seem to go backwards if anything. Jeff Clarke, Steve Kindel, Martin Nash all seem to be guys that failed abroad and came home to a comfortable existence. Perhaps Chin will do the same. What they need are hungry young players out to prove themselves and win spots and push those guys (so they can do like a Sandro Grande who failed initally abroad but eventually went back to Europe).

I can't fully agree with you observer. The organization (even back to the 86er days) tried to field a mostly BC team with the odd international, and they never won. "Too comfortable" was the familiar refrain. Since then, the Whitecaps have set up the development system, which is a step in the right direction, even if there have been complaints about the level of organization and coaching. It will take time to see the benefits of this.

In the meantime, they drafted 23 year old Andrew Corazza, who I thought, was one of the best players last night, and who has huge upside...and is a local boy.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

If you saw Antoniuk in training last weekend, you wouldn't have been impressed. 4 goals last year from Sebrango in an injury filled year where he only appeared in 12 games.

Sebrango is also more identifyable having played at Swangard before, and next to Jordan, Woolfok, Corazza and Gjertson, he's the only experienced guy. He's also a guy who scores important goals, and actually gets along with Lilly.

Lets wait and see who really won this trade. Mauricio Salles is a 6 foot 4 target man...so is Antoniuk. Do you need two of the same type of players?

Maybe if Antoniuk dissappointed in training camp the Whitecaps have some justification for the move. However, both players have the ability to score goals, yet Sebrango has only had 2 good seasons out of 7 which is not very impressive regardless of injury excuses, etc. Many of these seasons were also with a club that is more talented than the Whitecaps, ie. it is not like he wasn't getting fed. Impact strikers get a lot of service they just don't score enough. Noone can predict how either will play but on paper it sure looks like a better deal for the Impact. We will miss Hainault this year but as good a team players as Sebrango is he is not one of the guys in our lineup that causes me any concern to lose. I do like the signing of Sity-Matondo by the Caps and I think it will be good for him to play for a team which although it could be run better, is still a hell of a lot more professionally run than the Lynx. The Testo signing is also a good move.

On the surface the Leonardo Di Lorenzo signing seems very impressive, an Argentine first division player. I hope he impresses with his pedigree far more than Fukasawa did last year. His credentials do seem more impressive than Fukasawa's did.

I'm surprised to hear your impressions of Sebrango, but obviously you were closer to the Impact than I am.

I think his relationship with Lilly is a factor here, and as a guy who plays indoor...he is injury prone. But with the Whitecaps other strikers, (Gjertson, Jordan, Corazza, Woolfolk) he is a bonus. Time will tell...

I am not saying that Sebrango can't play well but he is very inconsistent and prone to injury. I can't say I have a good impression of any of the Impact's strikers other than a few who we only had for a few months. It is frustrating to see the amount of possession we have but yet so few goals and good chances. It is usually when the ball gets to the strikers that everything breaks down. I think they have addressed this situation well in the off season. I really think this deal has everything to do with Antoniuk coming to camp a bit out of shape and Lilley liking Sebrango from previous years he coached him. Maybe Sebrango will have another one of his good years (he is certainly due for one) but I still think from a poor soccer standpoint this is a better deal for the Impact. As much as Lilley (who is a real stickler for such things) might be disappointed in Antoniuk showing up out of shape there is still a lot of time for him to get in shape. If I were Whitecaps manager this is a trade I would overrule if the coach asked me to make it.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Nobody over-rules Lilly. Even the 'Duze...

You are probably right. I personally think Lilley is a very mediocre and overrated coach but he gets his way. I am not a big DeSantis fan and would never want him to be a national team coach (at least not without at least ten years more experience at a higher level) but yet when I compare him to some of the other coaches in the USL I am pretty happy we have him. He is at least a far better coach than either Lilley or Lenarduzzi.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am not saying that Sebrango can't play well but he is very inconsistent and prone to injury. I can't say I have a good impression of any of the Impact's strikers other than a few who we only had for a few months. It is frustrating to see the amount of possession we have but yet so few goals and good chances. It is usually when the ball gets to the strikers that everything breaks down. I think they have addressed this situation well in the off season. I really think this deal has everything to do with Antoniuk coming to camp a bit out of shape and Lilley liking Sebrango from previous years he coached him. Maybe Sebrango will have another one of his good years (he is certainly due for one) but I still think from a poor soccer standpoint this is a better deal for the Impact. As much as Lilley (who is a real stickler for such things) might be disappointed in Antoniuk showing up out of shape there is still a lot of time for him to get in shape. If I were Whitecaps manager this is a trade I would overrule if the coach asked me to make it.

I've covered the Impact for USLFans.com(previously A-league.com) since 2000 and let me tell you, Sebrango is the best pure striker the Impact have had over that period. He is a big body who can muscle his way into position very quickly before letting go a howitzer of a shot. When he went down with an injury in late 2003, the Impact went down very quickly . I can't speak about Antoniuk as I never saw him play but Sebrango still has a couple of good years in him(if he can stay injury-free)and I know he will do well in Vancouver.

Archived