Canada's Midfield

masster

When we all watched the Gold Cup, it was pretty much agreed that we all wanted to see Atiba in the midfield, a position where his talents would not be 'wasted'. Now, when it looks as though he will be playing there, I feel that we have an excess of midfielders, especially if Yallop continues to play a 4-3-3 formation (or 4-3-1-2, with DDR as the 1).

Even though JDG isn't in Austria, you have to think that he is an automatic starter. Bernier and Serioux, although demonstrating a lack of finish when they have the red shirt on, have been very admirable in breaking up opposition attacks and playing their roles. I have nothing but positive things to say about Sandro Grande everytime he plays for Canada. He comes back to accept the ball from the defense and then very efficiently starts the transition with clean passes to teammates. I see him kind of like an Andrea Pirlo. Yet, even with all the positives, I don't know if there is room for him in a three man midfield. And then you have Hutch. Throw in Brennan if you like and there is a log jam.

Midfield seems to be our deepest position. If that is the case, I'm starting to question putting Hutch in the middle when we still have a hole in central defense. Move Atiba to the back with McKenna, Stalteri and Klukowski on each side. Up front Dero plays behind Radz and Occean (or Hume and Friend, whatever), and then three guys in the middle. Who? I'm talking A-team.

MF has always been a mystery to me. On paper, yes, it looks good but if it was our strong suit then we would most likely would have advanced World cup qualifying. They don't refer to MF as the "engine room" of a soccer team for nothing. Given that Yallop has to pluck MF players from different leagues and can only get players together every once in a while, perhaps the chemistry and familarity is not right.

One thing that stands out in my mind is that we are not particularly effective in our crosses and the MF has trouble anticipating the movements of the fwds. I too like Grande for his ball distribution and ball striking skills. Even more confusing is that you might make a case that we have had more success when we have played players in that area that we generally think as less gifted. Who played in MF for us when we won the Gold Cup in 2000?

Hutch needs to play in the midfield, he can move forward and score the odd goal, thats more important than having him fill a gap in the defence.

right now id say our best 3 man midfield is:

Deguzman, Grande, Hutchinson

bernier has not impressed me playing for canada, but he has a better upside than grande or serioux i think. brennan and imhof, though still good options, are a notch below at this point, and peters and simpson are nowhere near ready.

Tough one. Really it is.

To me Grande may be the link player between an improving defence and our forwards. He's certainly got an eye for the field and brains enough for anticipating a play but as far as I can tell he's not exactly fleet of foot as it were. To me that's his big undoing as a transition player. Sure, if DDR is becoming a withdrawn striker/attacking midfield playmaker I could see Grande playing an important part of a fluid midfield moreso than anyone else we have right now. Just need to play him with some accompaning ball winners who've pace and grit. The Guz instantly comes to mind, and maybe if we're going that route Serioux but it's still tricky tactics.

I like the idea of DDR withdrawn. Provided he can share the ball but apparently he's showing an ability to grow that quality. Add The Guz and Grande, players both with a nose for goal and powerfull shots and you've got that 2nd line for an attacking threat. And that's a beautiful thing.

Still a tricky question, man.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Bernier and Serioux, although demonstrating a lack of finish when they have the red shirt on,

Well Bernier has thus far, but the only time I can recall Serioux taking a shot on goal it was blocked by Bernier (the 2-0 loss to the US, 2nd half).

I think De Ro playing in front of Serioux & Julian might make for a good trio. The latter two winning balls & keeping possession for the creative "force" (for lack of a better word) in the middle behind the two strikers.

As much as I'd like I don't think our forewards have the skill to properly play a 4 - 5 - 1 formation so I'd like to see a 3 - 5 - 2. I really think our midfield is our most talented position, thats where I find it most entertaining to watch Canada.

Of course De Guz is a guareenteed starter if he were there because of his excellent calibre, which often increases I find in international play. Serioux in the last year has really impressed me in Team Canada matches, if you think about the last gold cup and every game since then he has been one of, if not our most impressive player, he has the ability to really turn the game around and kill opponents momentum while making some for us. DDR should of course get in there because of his last season and his obvious quality. Grande has been impressive for Canada but I'm not sure if he's really quite as good as Bernier, yet, Bernier I think just hasn't gotten comfertable internationally. I agree with brennanfan that brennan and imhof just aren't quite up to that level by a wee bit however after seeing their play, especially in the gold cup, I think that peters and simpson could be getting close to regular first team starts, Simpson really changed the flow of the game for us by displaying good tecnique and style, a quality that Serioux and De Guz both have too which could make for some good chemistry, and Peters as a winger has shown he can break through and create opertunities almost singlehandedly.

With A roster like that I honestly think that unless we were playing 5 midfielders which might be a good idea, then there just isn't the room for Hutch in the midfield.

With the austria squad though I think Serioux and DDR are guareentees and it's honestly up in the air and very difficult to decide between Hutch, Bernier and Grande.

I agree that midfield is our strongest position. I see Brennan as more of a winger/fullback than someone who plays inside. I think our problem in WCQ was the lack of preperation coupled by a few bad calls that went against us. In addition, DeGuzman and Hutchinson were not really ready for prime time (at least in the middle of the park) at that point in their careers. Bernier had yet to settle into the side and Serioux did not have the experience at that level. That left Grande to come in later (when we way behind the 8 ball) with Imoff. So I think that goes along way to explaining why our midfield was not great. The one think we do lack is a creative force in midfield. That is why DeGuzman the younger would be such a great addition. Personally, I don't buy DDR in that position at international level. I think he has come along way in the last few years but like him better on the wing in 4-3-3 where he has more time and his speed and penchant for taking players on can be realised.

This is why I think 4-3-3 is the best set up for us. We have about 5 or 6 good central midfielders who can cover ground and play that those middel 3 positions. None have real attacking flair but a few like Hutchinson, Grande and DeGuzman can add some offense. But those three destroy most things coming through midfield. With guys like Rad, DDR, Hume and soon Peters...we have the wingers that can unlock and unsettle defenses on the counter. The real question to me is whether Occean, Gerba, Friend or Johnson can develop into a reliable target man and scorer at this level. At least we have 4 possibilities and 5 if you count Lombardo. To me, playing the 4-3-3 with these players makes us very difficult to beat and dangerous on the counter for any side. Of course, adding the younger DeGuzman would add another dimension and the central defense needs some shoring up. Here's hoping that Edgar or Haineault can develop in that position in the next couple of years

Archived