Canadians abroad: February 24 - March 2, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Sunday, February 26

3:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Osasuna vs. Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman)

5:00 PM (9-hour delay) on FSWC — England: Premier League

Bolton vs. Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 24 - March 2, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Tam Nsaliwa played 90 as Saarbrucken drew 1-1 with Aue at home.

McKenna started the comeback with a goal for Cottbus as they beat SV Wacker Burghausen 4-1, all home goals in the 2nd half.

In Holland Marcel de Jong was subbed out m. 57 as Helmond Sport fell to Top Oss 2-1. They are ten points back of the Dutch 2nd Div leaders.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Tam Nsaliwa played 90 as Saarbrucken drew 1-1 with Aue at home.

McKenna started the comeback with a goal for Cottbus as they beat SV Wacker Burghausen 4-1, all home goals in the 2nd half.

In Holland Marcel de Jong was subbed out m. 57 as Helmond Sport fell to Top Oss 2-1. They are ten points back of the Dutch 2nd Div leaders.

Good for Kevin. I posted earlier on this but the kicker site had Gunkel scoring that 1st goal; I see they were incorrect.

At St. Mary's Saints are running riot over Wednesday up 3-nil so far. Brennan starting again and still on at this point.

Good thing too because Pesch (starter) and Derby lead Plymouth Argyle 1-nil on a kickoff goal by Adam bolden.

No Bircham still as Palace are thumping Norwich at Selhurst Park. Can't say as I feel at all bad about that...

And no Simpson on the field or on the bench as Stoke look to take the max points from visitors Millwall leading 2-1.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

At St. Mary's Saints are running riot over Wednesday up 3-nil so far. Brennan starting again and still on at this point.

Good thing too because Pesch (starter) and Derby lead Plymouth Argyle 1-nil on a kickoff goal by Adam bolden.

No Bircham still as Palace are thumping Norwich at Selhurst Park. Can't say as I feel at all bad about that...

And no Simpson on the field or on the bench as Stoke look to take the max points from visitors Millwall leading 2-1.

Actually, Bircham started and scored an own goal for QPR:)in their match against Sheffield United. It's currently 3-2 for QPR at the 90'.

;) Social acceptance has never been a big priority for moi. Can you tell?

Lets see if I can get the roundup right.

JDV plays the full 90 while Hume is sub'd out for O'Grady in the 78th as Ipswich continue their playoff hopes with a 2-nil home victory. Ricardo Fuller with the late insurance marker.

Saints add to Sheffield Wednesday's **** season by a 3-nil goal line. Brennan goes the 90.

Bircham also goes the distance as QPR come from behind to defeat the Blades. Not a good day for Sheffield all around. As mentioned Bircham was adjudged one of the two own goals in the match (one a side).

Pesch gets 76 in against Plymouth being sub'd for Lee Holmes shortly after Argyle went down to 10 men after a 2nd caution to Paul Connolly. Derby win 1-nil.

Halftime at Anfield so here goes.

Jonathan de Guzman starts for Feyenoord away to FC Groningen in a card filled affair it seems. Groningen on 5 cautions with a 1/2 hour to go or so in the 2nd. Feyenoord down 1-nil.

Radz starts for Fulham in another attacking Coleman lineup but still loose away (a-gin) 2-1 to Bolton. Looking at the lineup I'm guessing Radz was used in the middle.

Radz and McBride both sub'd off after 75 minutes after Kevin Noolan put Bolton up with his 69th winner.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Daniel Fernandes is in goal for PAOK who's loosing 2-1 against Olympiakos. The game has been suspended after the PAOK fans started burning and throwing stuff.

The game ends 2-1.

What a brutal game.

Fernandes seemed lost out there. He got a knee right to the forehead around the 50th minute but he was fine. I think he made 1 save the whole game. I've only seen a couple Paok games but I really fail to see what all the "hype" is about.

The refs were brutal. The fans were a disgrace. No cops anywhere.

Paok fans are morons as they started throwing rocks at the 80th minute and in essense the game was over at that point.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

What a brutal game.

Fernandes seemed lost out there. He got a knee right to the forehead around the 50th minute but he was fine. I think he made 1 save the whole game. I've only seen a couple Paok games but I really fail to see what all the "hype" is about.

Considering that almost no poster here have seen him play, yes, it's very hard to see what the "hype" is all about.

But maybe having a poster promoting your career for 6 years on this board help you get that kind of attention.

In fairness, and before an other little bitchfest breaks out, Paok fans are in love with him. So too is the Thessaloniki sports media. As well as Paok who really did want him to become a Greek citizen (although there could be other motives for that).

As for the game, the Greek league is like watching slow-motion compared to the Premier League or Serie A.

The first goal was a half-decent cross but Fernandes just stood there. He should've at least moved a little.

On the second goal, the Olympiakos player went right through about 3 Paok defenders, then put a bullet right through Fernandes.

There was an other cross where the ball was going one way, Fernandes the other way. Lucky no opposition was close enough. There were a couple other missed played balls as well.

But it was really brutal overall. So many bad officiating calls. And then the moron fans. Paok still had a chance to come back and tie with over 10 minutes left when they started their stupidities. And they knew this had a good chance of happening and still no cops anywhere.

Jonathan goes the 90 as Feyenoord come back to draw. Van Hooijdonk sub'ing on and getting the goods at the 70th.

PSV and Ajax came away winners this weekend so Feyenoord looses a little ground on both sides of the table but are still sitting pretty in 2nd and looking a great bet for European footie.

Andrea Lombardo came on in the 58th minute as Perugia tied Massese 0-0 in Serie C1B on Friday.

Rocco Placentino played 83 minutes as Gualdo lost 2-1 to Carrarse in Serie C2B today.

David Masciantonio played the entire match as Monterotondo tied Ferentino 1-1 in Serie D Girone G today. David scored in the 90th minute and received a 6.5 rating.

Julian Uccello played the entire match as Sanselpocro lost 3-0 to Celano Olimpia in Serie D Girone F on Sunday.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Jonathan goes the 90 as Feyenoord come back to draw. Van Hooijdonk sub'ing on and getting the goods at the 70th.

PSV and Ajax came away winners this weekend so Feyenoord looses a little ground on both sides of the table but are still sitting pretty in 2nd and looking a great bet for European footie.

Keep in mind that it is AZ who are the closest challengers for 2nd along with Feyenoord, not Ajax. AZ aren't make a deep UEFA Cup run this year, so I don't expect the rash of injuries that ended with their late season collapse last year.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Considering that almost no poster here have seen him play, yes, it's very hard to see what the "hype" is all about.

But maybe having a poster promoting your career for 6 years on this board help you get that kind of attention.

I think if you look at the Greek league stats his are amongst the top four in goalkeeping. The thing is though, that Greece is terribly defensive, not even the top teams are great goalscorers. So keepers are not overly tested in Greece, for whatever that is worth.

I have posted before that it seems his unsure area are high balls and crosses, which is odd considering his height and physical stature. Usually it is said that his virtue is that he is very athletic, with strong reflexes and good net coverage on shots, even down low, typical of the smaller more agile types. But we should remember he has had four own goals scored on him this year, and is a bit nervous with what his defenders are doing in front of him, preferring to stay in the net and watch.

I think the fact that they have not lost a game by more than one goal, have not been blown out, and have not given up more than two in a game (pretty sure about this), are all stats that indicate that the keeper is at least part of the decent defending on a team that has always had a chance at getting points in every game they've played this year.

Archived