Joe Di Buono signs in Polish First Division

coward

Canadian, yes, from the Lac St-Louis region of Quebec. He was drafted by the Impact last year. [Impact media release]

The club he signed with, KSP Polonia Warszawa [official site], are last in the Ekstraklasa (top division), 6 points from safety. The league is on a winter break until March 4, but Di Buono has already made 7 appearances in friendlies between January 18 and February 8.

Was a draft of the Impact last year. It is interesting that someone who did not make the Impact last year is a starter in a Polish first division club even if it is the worst 1st division club. I think Poland like many first division leagues has a major drop in level after the first few clubs and that the lower table clubs are nothing special. I think Montreal might be a lower table club in the Polish league but could avoid relegation. Nevertheless this is a good career move and he is much more visible to European scouts there than in Montreal and will be in a much more professional atmosphere. Polonia is a also a club with a long tradition and also the club where the Nigerian born black player Emmanuel Olisadebe played who joined the national team after receiving citizenship (he has since transferred to Greece).

Olisadebe now plays for portsmouth in the EPL. He did however start @ Polonia Warszawa. Polonia plays second fiddle to Legia Warszawa who sit 2nd in the league and are title contenders. I'm not sure about montreal being able to survive in the polish leauge. The league is not great but even the mid table clubs would be able to beat the A-league clubs. Polonia does have a long tradition and were Polish champs in 2000. Although people claim that the title was bought. The club nickname is "the black shirts" or "all blacks" They say the player has said he wants to help Polonia avoid relegation.

009.gif

012.gif

hvnf9u.jpg

Joe Di Buono went to Turkey along with is Polonia team-mates for a training camp. While there Polonia will paly 3 games. On the 13th v.s Zylnia from Slovakia on the 16th they will play a team from Belarus call Boryslav and on the 19th they will play Sportulem Bucharest from Romania.

Polonia squad for Turkey training camp: Ensar Arifoviæ, Krzysztof B¹k, Maciej Biernacki, Adam Cichon, Marek Citko, Micha³ Chamera, Joe Di Buono, Tomasz Dudek, Dariusz DŸwiga³a, Martins Ekwueme, Bart³omiej Fogler, Igor Go³aszewski, £ukasz Jarosiewicz, Grzegorz Kmiecik, Jacek Kosmalski, Jacek Kowalczyk, Dariusz Kozubek, Antoni £ukasiewicz, Krzysztof Markowski, Jacek Moryc, ¯ankarlo Simuniæ, Maciej Terlecki, Mariusz Zasada, Mateusz ¯ytko

source: http://www.ksppolonia.pl/

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

CAP HIM! CAAAAAP HIM!!!!

/I'm sorry.

With a name like Di Buono, he's surely eligible for Italy, the CSA must react before we lose another rising star!!!! Hargreaves, De Guzman and now Di Buono.....who's next????

2006-03-03

Cracovia - Górnik Zabrze 18:00

Legia Warszawa - GKS Be³chatów 20:00

2006-03-04

Korona Kielce - Pogoñ Szczecin 14:30

Górnik £êczna - Arka Gdynia 18:00

Amica Wronki - Odra Wodzis³aw 18:00

Zag³êbie Lubin - Polonia Warszawa 18:00

Wis³a P³ock - Lech Poznañ 18:00

Wis³a Kraków - Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski 18:15

I'm happy to hear that Jo Di Buono signed a contract in Poland. I played with the guy here in Quebec. He had a lot of potential and is a good player. It is not because he did not make the Impact that he is not good enough. It all depends on which position you play in and who plays there currently. I don't think the Impact at that time needed a defensive midfielder having Sandro Grande and Patrick Leduc(2 years ago when the Impact was looking at him).

Polish league is definitly not the greatest but its no pushover. Polonia is a weak team. The top gunners are Wisla Krakow and Legia Warszawa. Wisla had that great run 3 years ago beating out Schalke in the UEFA cup. THen you have Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski who knocked off Hertha Berlin and Manchester City in their UEFA cup run. I dont know what league you could compare it to in Europe but the guy should enjoy his time. Especially the Warsaw derby.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hangoverPL

Hi everyone

I'm a supporter of Polonia Warszawa, the club that Joe has recently joined. I have lived in Canada when I was a kid - grade 7 junior high school in Mississauga, Ontario :)

I would like to invite those of You who are interested in following Joe's career to www.wielkapolonia.pl - Polish might be tricky so I suggest clicking on English News.

The Black Shirts played a test match yesterday and Di Buono proved to be a quality player, though he's small for a DM.

As far as the Polish League is concerned - if retiring Polish league stars are moving to the MLS...

It's quite a rough division, not much money in it aprat from Wisla, Kolporter/Korona, Legia and Groclin - but it can be fun to watch

Guest hangoverPL

Wisla would have made it to the Champions League this season after winning 3:1 home to Panathinaikos and losing only 1:2 just before the final whistle. But thanks to their puny excuse for a keeper and a midfielder sent off the pitch they lost 1:4 in extratime...

After we joined the EU a lot of Polish players are moving to Britain - Scottish Premiership and the English Championship. Four players are in the Premiership as well.

I'd say Polish league is like the German 2nd Bundesliga, apart from Wisla, Korona and Legia who might avoid relegation in the 1st Bundesliga.

Archived