World Cup Draw....Help and Discussion

Calgary Boomer

I think dominance of European teams on European soil will end this time around. I think Brazil is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment. Of course, 90 minutes can change a lot.

Not sure if Mexico has it THAT easy. Hard to rate Asian teams and Iran is kind of beatable by anyone but I can see them pushing a team like Mexico.

I reckon Group H is pretty weak as is Group G. Not sure what to make of Japan and Korea anymore. They seem to have sunk back to earth. I like Australia getting through in Group F.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ditty

Not sure if Mexico has it THAT easy. Hard to rate Asian teams and Iran is kind of beatable by anyone but I can see them pushing a team like Mexico.

I don't think they have it that easy because I don't think Mexico are that good of a team, unless they plan to bring Azteca stadium, its altitude and Mexico City's smog with them. But it means the whole group is relatively weak as a result. Having said that, they would still be favoured to get out of the group IMO, along with Portugal.

my poor serbia... heartbreaking.

I've also been reading a lotta doubts on Iran's chances, I watched their qualifacation and they played really really well, probably the best team they've ever had. they've dropped friendlies recently but I would say their going to compete as well as Korea and Japan.

I think group F is tough... I belive in Croatia advancing out of F. Cro can get a point against Brazil(played 1-1 in Split). Yet I fear Australia... if coaching counts for anything than the Aussies are just as good as any other team! I think Japan may have a down tournament. I can't see them causing too much problems, kind of a WC hangover from last year. It shall be interesting.

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

I think group F is tough... I belive in Croatia advancing out of F. Cro can get a point against Brazil(played 1-1 in Split). Yet I fear Australia... if coaching counts for anything than the Aussies are just as good as any other team! I think Japan may have a down tournament. I can't see them causing too much problems, kind of a WC hangover from last year. It shall be interesting.

Japan were impressive in the confederations cup. I think that will be a hard group for everybody, except Brazil, who will probably qualify anyway of course.

I wasn't sure if it was too early to start a world cup pool ($10/entry -proceeds to the Voyageurs) but here are my December predictions....

GROUP A

Germany beats Costa Rica, Poland beats Ecuador

Germany loses to Poland, Costa Rica ties Ecuador

Germany beats Ecuador, Poland plays reserves against Costa Rica and loses

Poland 6, Germany 6, Costa Rica 4, Ecuador 2

I'm rooting for Poland and then Ecuador

GROUP B

England beats Paraguay, Trinidad has asses served to them on a platter by Sweden

England beats Trinidad, Paraguay ties Sweden

England loses to Sweden, Paraguay beats Trinidad

Sweden 7, England 6, Paraguay 4, Trindad 0

I'm roting for Paraguay in homage to Chilavert and Trinidad

GROUP C

Argentina beats Ivory Coast, Serbia ties the Netherlands

Argentina ties Serbia, Ivory Coast loses to the Netherlands

Argentina ties the Netherlands, Ivory Coast loses to Serbia

Argentina 5, Serbia 5, Netherlands 5, Ivory Coast 0

I'm rooting for Argentina and Serbia

GROUP D

Mexico beats Iran, Angola ties Portugal

Mexico beats Angola, Iran loses to Portugal

Mexico ties Portugal (like in the Simpsons), Iran loses to Angola

Mexico 7, Portugal 5, Angola 4, Iran 0

I'm rooting for Portugal and Angola (mil desculpas a mi ex-novia)

GROUP E

Italy beats Ghana, the US hold the Czechs to a draw

Italy ties the US, Ghana loses to the Czechs

Italy loses to the Czechs, Ghana loses to the US

Czech 7, US 5, Italy 4, Ghana 0

I'm rooting for Ghana and the Czechs

GROUP F

Brasil narrowly beat Croatia, Australia loses to Japan

Brasil beats Australia, Croatia loses to Japan

Brasil ties Japan, Croatia ties Australia

Brasil 7, Japan 7, Australia 1, Croatia 1

I'm rooting for Brasil and Croatia

GROUP G

France tie Switzerland, Korea beat Togo

France lose to Korea, Switzerland beat Togo

France beat Togo, Switzerland beats Korean 'B' team

Switzerland 7, Korea 6, France 4, Togo 0

I'm rooting for Switzerland and Togo

GROUP H

Spain lose to Ukraine, Tunisia lose to Saudi Arabia

Spain beat Tunisia, Ukraine beat Saudi Arabia

Spain beat Saudi Arabia, Ukraine lose to Tunisia in order to avoid an eventual clash with Brasil

Spain 6, Ukraine 6, Saudi Arabia 3, Tunisia 3

I'm rooting for Ukraine and Saudi Arabia

ROUND OF 16

GAME 1 - 1A-2B - Poland loses to England (go Poland)

GAME 2 - 1B-2A - Sweden beats Germany (go Sweden)

GAME 3 - 1C-2D - Argentina beats Portugal (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

GAME 4 - 1D-2C - Mexico loses to Serbia (I like both teams)

GAME 5 - 1E-2F - Czechs beat Japan (go Czech)

GAME 6 - 1F-2E - Brasil beats US (as it should be)

GAME 7 - 1G-2H - Ukraine beats Switzerland

GAME 8 - 1H-2G - Spain beat Korea (revenge)

QUARTER FINALS

GAME A - Winners of Game 1 - Game 3 - Argentina beats England

GAME B - Winners of Game 2 - Game 4 - Serbia beats Sweden

GAME C - Winners of Game 5 - Game 7 - Czechs lose to the Ukraine

GAME D - Winners of Game 6 - Game 8 - Brasil beats Spain

SEMI FINALS

GAME I - Winners of Game A - Game C - Argentina beats Ukraine

GAME II - Winners of Game B - Game D - Serbia lose to Brasil

Ukraine finish 3rd

In one of the all-time World Cup classics, Brasil beat Argentina.

Just heard a guy on the radio refer to group E as the group of death. I don't agree but there is an interesting element in this group in that three of the sides found themselves in the same group in WC 90 ( Ita, US, Cze).

At that time, the US got trashed 6-0 by the Czechs and were defeated by Italy in Rome 1-0. If the collective Czech psyche still thinks of the US in same sense as 1990, they could be in for a nasty surprise. Reading between the lines, you still get a strong feeling that Euro's think that sides from Concacaf have no business being in the WC. Its that kind of attitude ( ie.: US is the land of Hoops, gridiron, and ball diamonds) that IMO will really help the americans. What the Euros, especially the nouveau riches ( as I refer to them) like the czech republic, Portugal, seem to forget is that the US has a population of nearly 300milion and thats a huge talent pool even if soccer is not the number one sport. Plus they oodles of $$$ and you can never underestimate the importance of that.

I think that anything can happen with these sides like the czechs since their success is often driven by a strong crop of talent that happens to emerge around the same time. Unlike sides like Hol,Arg,Ita, bar, Ger, Eng who have not only the culture and infrastructures but also the population numbers to sustain talent excellence of over very long periods of time. The czechs and Ghana will be tough for the americans but their ( The Czechs )situation strikes me very similar to where Portugal were when the played them at the last world cup; people will say "5-0 Portugal".

Thats why I predict that they will advance.

Group E is brutal! Don't sell Ghana short, they have a fanstastic midfield with Essien, Stephen Appiah and Sulley Muntari (Udinese) as well as all sorts of other quality players. I was all set to pronounce them my tournament dark horse, but not in that group.

I like Switzerland to make some noise. They're well coached and good on the counter attack. I like how they dealt with a hostile environment in Turkey. Switzerland is the official TG-13 Dark Horse for this tournament.

Group A is possibly the easiest group in the history of the WC. No team is better than a 6.5 out of 10. If Germany doesn't qualify from that group, Klinsmann should be banned from coaching anywhere ever again.

GROUP E is the hardest group as far as im concerned. Maybe C has the best combination of two teams, but two teams go through so I hardly call it the group of death as I think both Ivory Coast and Serbia are a good notch behind the Netherlands and Argentina. Where as Group E is really going to be tough because there are three upper tier teams fighting for those two spots, as Ghana isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Germany in group A has it really easy. That and group G which will see a rematch of the french and swiss from the qualifying round. As well a good asian team in korea, and a pretty sad african side in Tonga. I know korea did well at the last word cup but it was on home soil and they got every phantom call in the book go in their favor. I wouldn't say D is that easy, it might not have any powerhouse teams but they don't have any rubbish teams. Instead of having two strong teams and two soft teams its has four teams that I would rate middle of the road, should make for some interesting matches.

I am happy though as there is no overlap between Switzerland (whom I have a TST-3 already) and England (whom I hope that I will get tickets in the England fan lottery or through a tout)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

BTW, if I were the CSA I'd contact the Italian FA right away and ask them if they are interested in playing a friendly prior to the World Cup. Italy is notorious for playing pre-tournament friendlies against teams that play a similar style to a team they will play in the group stages of a tournament, and when it comes to the US they probably couldn't do much better in playing us when it comes to similar players/style.

You should write them. Since it is your idea I'll hold off a few hours, but will also send them this recommendation. Sounds like a great idea.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

GROUP E is the hardest group as far as im concerned. Maybe C has the best combination of two teams, but two teams go through so I hardly call it the group of death as I think both Ivory Coast and Serbia are a good notch behind the Netherlands and Argentina. Where as Group E is really going to be tough because there are three upper tier teams fighting for those two spots, as Ghana isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Ya, and Ivory Coast is not a cakewalk either! They have strenth upfront and came through a group with involved Cameroon. Serbia is a very tight team who have played with a core group of guys and could pull an "upset" over Holland or Argentina. I say "upset" because Holland is notorious for not playing up to snuff and this is the WC, at this stage, on a good day, anyone can beat anybody... a la Senegal over France in '02! Thats the thing too, I see the Ivory Coast as the Senegal for this year, so you've been warned!! hehehe[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I'd say that its a good draw for Concacaf sides. I can see Mex and CRC advancing. The US wont have it easy, but I can see them moving on as well. T&T, who is in a group with Eng, Par, and Swe, is the only side with no hope what so ever.

I think its a bad draw for CONCACAF sides. Because altho Costa Rica and T&T got relatively weak groups, they're still not quite good enough to make that fact matter. Meanwhile, USA has to beat Italy or Czech Republic plus Brasil just to reach where they were four years ago. Mexico have a good chance to finish second in their group, but then Argentina or Holland stand in their way.

My prediction that Switzerland will reach the quarterfinals looks pretty good after today. Easy group and fairly easy round-of-16 match for them it appears.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I think its a bad draw for CONCACAF sides. Because altho Costa Rica and T&T got relatively weak groups, they're still not quite good enough to make that fact matter. Meanwhile, USA has to beat Italy or Czech Republic plus Brasil just to reach where they were four years ago. Mexico have a good chance to finish second in their group, but then Argentina or Holland stand in their way.

My prediction that Switzerland will reach the quarterfinals looks pretty good after today. Easy group and fairly easy round-of-16 match for them it appears.

Regarding CRC:

Lets see:

You have to concede a spot to Germany in that group. That leaves the Ticos to battle Ecu and Pol for the other. The Poles qualified in group where they faced England and very little else. Relatively speaking, pretty much a cake walk for Poland IMO. I'll have to see more from them to be convinced. Whereas, I was impressed in how CRC fared in their group with Brazil and Turkey in 2002. They didn't look out of place in that group and were it not for poor tactical descisons, they would have advanced rather than miss out on goal diff. They also seldom if ever looked out of place in some of the Copa Amererica matches that I saw them involved in. Which suggests to me that they shouldn't have too much trouble with Ecuador. So I don't follow you when you say : " they're still not quite good enough to make that fact matter".

As far as T&T, it wouldn't surprise me if they turn out to be the 2006 version of what Saudi Arabia was in 2002. Their group is not the group of death, buts it definitely one of the better ones. This is the strongest England squad that I have seen in my lifetime. For all the hype that we get to hear before every WC in the media throughout english speaking world, I never really considered them near the upper crust of contenders. Always thought that they were the most overeated side. Until this year. All they really need is to address their d-mid as evidenced in their match versus Argentina. But a ball winning MF is one the easiest problems to shore up. They are strong everywhere else. Paraguay are a definite notch below Bra and Arg but they appear to have distanced themselves from their next closest rivals in S America by the same extent. Always strong defensively. Sweden, in recent Euros and WC's have shown that they can not only qualify but advance out of their groups. So I don't see how that group cannot be regarded as strong. The best team that T&T has managed a favourable result against in WCQ is Guatemala. They could not have had a easier path to the WC. It could get very ugly for the Trinis in Germany.

Regarding the US, Upon further reflection, I'd have to say its tougher than I initially thought. Even though, I did rate their group as the second toughest. But thats mostly because there are no weak sides in that group. But I still think thay can handle the Czechs and Ghana.

Gotta agree about the Swiss, its my darkhorse as well. They did well in WCQ while not getting an easy road.

Was nothing learned from the last WC? I already see people conceding groups to various teams. Brazil is not a lock, nor is anyone else in this tournament. I think it really comes down to preparation time. Some of the smaller nations may have the benefit of not having all their players playing for top-level clubs. The best teams will succeeded, not the best group of individual players. I think a large part of the US success last time was shutting the MLS down early and having the core of their players in the US.

I personally think that upsets will become the norm over the supposed established teams. Just think back to last WC: Argentina, Portugal, France (not even a goal) and, to a lesser extent, Poland all out after the first round, Italy just squeaked into the final 16. Meanwhile, no hopes like Senegal found themselves on the doorstep of the semis, only to be knocked out by another no hope team, Turkey. And yes, Costa Rica was very close to the final 16 as well.

Some of the groups do look weak, but I think the strengths and weaknesses of the teams involved are being underestimated (except for T&T - be careful what you wish for Jack!).

Anyway, my dark horse is Australia. I think they will do some damage now that their ridiculous qualifying is over. Also, I think the Mexico seed is justified and I expect to see them in the final four. I thought they looked great at the confederation cup (where they beat the full strength Brazil). I think they have finally gotten it together and have lost their defeatist attitude. Oh yes, I hope Angola pulls a Senegal over Portugal. Now, as for the Swiss, I think that qualifying and the WC will be two completely different things.

Anyway, JMO.

quote:Originally posted by PaddyNow, as for the Swiss, I think that qualifying and the WC will be two completely different things.

Well I watched most of the Swiss qualifying games and while they lack offense they are a defensive powerhouse. I believe they will get to the last 8. Anyone know what happened with the turkey and Swiss fines they were suppose to come out today?

Here are the teams I think will go through the second round!

en el grupo A : Germany y Poland

en el grupo B : england y sweden

en el grupo C : Argentina y Holand

en el grupo D ; Portugal y mexico

en el grupo E ; Italy y rep. czech

en el grupo F: Brasil y Japan

en le grupo G : Frace y switzerland

en el grupo H : spain y ukrain

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Regarding CRC:

Lets see:

You have to concede a spot to Germany in that group. That leaves the Ticos to battle Ecu and Pol for the other. The Poles qualified in group where they faced England and very little else. Relatively speaking, pretty much a cake walk for Poland IMO. I'll have to see more from them to be convinced. Whereas, I was impressed in how CRC fared in their group with Brazil and Turkey in 2002. They didn't look out of place in that group and were it not for poor tactical descisons, they would have advanced rather than miss out on goal diff. They also seldom if ever looked out of place in some of the Copa Amererica matches that I saw them involved in. Which suggests to me that they shouldn't have too much trouble with Ecuador. So I don't follow you when you say : " they're still not quite good enough to make that fact matter".

Well, it means they're not good enuf to qualify even in an easy group, imo (which is what they got). They did come close in 2002 but that too was an easy group. And that Costa Rican team was playing better than this one is.[8)]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That "easy" group for Costa Rica in 2002 included the teams that finished 1st and 3rd in the 2002 World Cup.

T&T and Costa Rica are being picked out by a few pundits, including the Sportsnet panel, as being too weak. DoyleG's famous 5-0 Portugal always comes to mind.

I suspect the Asian teams will stink up the joint this time around, with the United Saudis of Arabia being particularly foul.

Archived