World Cup Draw....Help and Discussion

Calgary Boomer

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That "easy" group for Costa Rica in 2002 included the teams that finished 1st and 3rd in the 2002 World Cup.

The fact that Turkey (who has done nothing since world cup 2002) got through that group shows how easy it was. Yeah, you had to concede first-place to Brasil, but most nations that finished third-place in the other 7 groups in WC'02 would have easily qualified from that group. Remember too that Turkey beat nobody to get to the semis...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Predictions (right 'em down)

Group A

Germany

Costa Rica

Group B

England

Sweden

Group C

Netherlands

Argentina

Group D

Portugal

Mexico

Group E

Czech Republic

Italy

Group F

Brazil

Croatia

Group G

South Korea

Switzerland

Group H

Spain

Ukraine

Round of 16

Sweden over Germany

Mexico over Netherlands

Czech Republic over Croatia

Ukraine over South Korea

England over Costa Rica

Portugal over Argentina

Italy over Brazil <-- Yep, that's right. I can really see the Azzuri stepping up for this one

Spain over Switzerland

Quarter Finals

Sweden over Mexico

Czech Republic over Ukraine

England over Portugal

Italy over Spain

Semi Finals

Sweden over Czech Republic

England over Italy

3rc Place Match

Italy over Czech Republic

Finals

England over Sweden**

**-Strangely enough, before today's draw I wouldn't have picked England to win the World Cup. Strange.

Guest Jeffery S.

One way to analyze the top seeds and favourites is to look for weaknesses. All of them have them, though some are surer than others in more aspects of play.

This is where you could argue that Brazil could be weak where Roberto Carlos is playing (left back), but since he always went forwards anyways, his off-form would not affect the team so greatly Where else are they suspect? Everything else is intact, Adriano with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho behind them, strong mids, centre backs, keeper, free kicks, physical strenght, aerial game, used to being in Europe. A team that deserves to be the favourite.

I think all the rest have little problems. Holland does not have the striking they once did, at least on a club level Ruud is not as strong, nor Mackaay, and then they are relying on some young players who may not be ready; anyways, a team with competitive lapses, a cliche they have not dispelled.

Argentina, if they go with Messi, an 18 year old, are also perhaps overly reliant on youthful saviours and unsure about who to strike with. A good chunk of the rest of the squad is getting on in years. You get the feeling they are not as dangerous and can be controlled if you stay concentrated.

England, in my opinion, is a strong squad, well compensated except perhaps the right back, but perhaps is lacking in real playmaking -though the mids can score at least- and the keeping is still suspect, at least I am not willing to admit it has been solved yet.

Spain is solid, knows how to handle the ball, but lacks that physical edge, Xavi and Raul are injured and could not make it back or be still unfit, and the striking is suspect (Morientes will have to get more than the brace of today to prove he is back).

Italy also may be unsure who to strike with, you should go with Toni but in the end he lacks the international experience. Del Piero is having a good year, Totti not so much, and after recent club results there is the impression that the classic hard defending is not as tough as it once was.

Mexico, with most of the players in clubs at home, is a team that may have problems adjusting to Europe, the least comfortable team of the top seeded nations in terms of what being in Germany will mean.

France has not made the transition from the great champions they were to the present, odd since their clubs are doing well. But why aren't they willing to rely on the stars of Lyon instead of reviving a terribly off-form Zidane?

Portugal is also a side that has reached a sort of peak. They do not have those great natural strikers in spite of Pauleta scoring here and there, Simao, but neither are even top 20 in the world (nor is Gomes). Figo is ageing and probably should not play, Ronaldo should replace him and Deco (who amazingly did not start all games at the Eurocup) should run the midfield backed by strong holding types (Maniche). They have good backs and good keeping. Once again, the only real question is in goal-getting.

Germany has to be respected as they are at home, but their friendly results have not been good, it is no advantage to not play competitive matches because you are the host. Their Eurocup was a bit sad in fact. I think they are badly coached, and not even they think they can get far in their Cup.

So I think that Brazil has to come through on their side of the draw, and maybe it is quite close between the sides like Holland, England, Argentina on the other side. For the sake of the Cup itself, I would love to see something different, like England against Brazil in the final

For a surprise quarter or semi-finalist, how about no surprises this time around? I say we will have no surprises at all in the last 8 this year.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

The fact that Turkey (who has done nothing since world cup 2002) got through that group shows how easy it was. Yeah, you had to concede first-place to Brasil, but most nations that finished third-place in the other 7 groups in WC'02 would have easily qualified from that group. Remember too that Turkey beat nobody to get to the semis...

who did they play after the group stage em route to the third place match? i forget.

their group consisted of Brazil, Costa Rica, China and Turkey.. no?

Boy, the Yanks can not be happy with that draw. Not at all.

Hell, I don't think CONCACAF could can't be happy with that draw either. Mexico could very well be the only team to go through and if they do they'll probably get either Holland or Argentina. Very nice.

You'll note that I'm calling Poland for 2nd in group A. (Something about having to beat out Costa Rica for 2nd. Playing in Germany in front of tens of thousands of Polish fans, that sort of thing).

Think Japan/Korea isn't going to be repeated this go around. Not at all. Whoever goes through to the final is going to very much earn it, group stage notwithstanding (Germany!).

About the only real surprise I can envision is Holland actualy accomplishing something and making a real run of it. Course they might have to beat the hosts to do it, but there you are.

Tough road for England to go very deep.

Archived