World Cup Draw....Help and Discussion

Calgary Boomer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is a direct link to the tracker at the fifa site.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/fd/launch.html?l=en

Fu<k. I have been clicking on there most of the morning and now the afternoon. All I keep getting is a message telling me that the server is busy.......

remamber the horrors of the U20 draw? its deja vu.

GROUP A

1Germany

2Costa Rica

3Poland

4Ecuador

GROUP B - GROUP OF A MILD CONCUSSION

1England

2Paraguay

3Trinidad

4Sweden

GROUP C - GROUP OF DEATH!!!!!!!

1Argentina

2Ivory Coast

3Serbia

4Netherlands

GROUP D - MERDA!

1Mexico

2Iran

3Angola

4Portugal

GROUP E - GROUP OF INTENSIVE CARE!!!!

1Italy

2Ghana

3USA

4Czech Republic

GROUP F

1Brasil

2Croatia

3Australia

4Japan

GROUP G

1France

2Switzerland

3Korea

4Togo

GROUP H

1Spain

2Ukraine

3Tunisia

4Saudi Arabia

ROUND OF 16

GAME 1 - 1A-2B

GAME 2 - 1B-2A

GAME 3 - 1C-2D

GAME 4 - 1D-2C

GAME 5 - 1E-2F

GAME 6 - 1F-2E

GAME 7 - 1G-2H

GAME 8 - 1H-2G

QUARTER FINALS

GAME A - Winners of Game 1 - Game 3

GAME B - Winners of Game 2 - Game 4

GAME C - Winners of Game 5 - Game 7

GAME D - Winners of Game 6 - Game 8

SEMI FINALS

GAME I - Winners of Game A - Game C

GAME II - Winners of GAme B - Game D

FINALS

Pretty obvious

Group C & E look to be the toughest. Group D looks to be the weakest - heck, Canada would have an outside chance of qualifying out of that group! Surprised really that Mexico, and not Germany, gets the weakest group (though as the weakest seed Mexico helps make their own group the weakest).Almost feel sorry for T&T, no chance at all in that group, they are going to get smoked. I guess Jack's influence only extends so far.

A cakewalk for Brazil in theirs, interesting that at least 1, if not 2 teams of Tunisia, Ukraine & the Saudi's will be in the final 16.

I'm sorry....how is Group D easy?

Portugal is tough, so is Mexico at the World Cup. Iran is easy (watch Portugal choke on this one), but Angola will surprise.

Groups G and H on the other hand....

E is tough but the Netherlands and Serbia combined are stronger than the Czechs and the USA

quote:Originally posted by River City

I'm sorry....how is Group D easy?

Portugal is tough, so is Mexico at the World Cup.

Mexico is the weakest of the 8 seeds, Angola is considered by many pundits to be the weakest African nation. Add to that a very beatable Iran, and a Portugese team, while tough on paper, hasn't made it out of the first round since 1966, though that drought looks to be ending after 40 years.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

I definitely thought Group E was the group of death.

Happy about England though :)

E looks tougher to me too. Serbia and CIV will not be pushovers, but I think Argentina and Ned. are the clear favourites. Group E though? I think a little more balanced between the teams involved. I'd think the European teams would be the favourites, but that that gap between top and bottom is not so pronounced (mostly because I'd rate Arg/Ned better than IT/CZH at the top). But these do seem to be the two toughest groups. Group F will surprise I think...Croatia, Australia and Japan will not be pushovers.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

A cakewalk for Brazil in theirs, interesting that at least 1, if not 2 teams of Tunisia, Ukraine & the Saudi's will be in the final 16.

Judging from WC 2002, it wont be the Saudi's. I can see Esp and Tun comming out of that group. Bra and Jpn out of the other group and France and Swi in group E. Oddly Fra and dSwi find themselves in the same group as in WCQ.

May as well stop lurking....

I like the Americans. I think they are underrated by many. Therefore, group E looks to be The Group Of Death--IMHO

That said C could be dicey as well...It depends how well Ivory Coast comes out.

Great draw for England. Poland is all that stands in the way of a quarter final berth (all bets are off after that--Holland or Argentina are likely 1/4 opponents. Wouldn't Argentina be fun!).

Horrible, horrible draw for the Americans. Even if they get out of that group they get Brazil in the round of 16 (unless the Yanks win the group that is--I’m not that high on them).

Who did Mexico pay off (although I like Spain's draw...of course it is Spain...so...)?

Bottom line....I think the final will be a rematch of the last group C game.

And the tournament is in Europe so.....

BTW, if I were the CSA I'd contact the Italian FA right away and ask them if they are interested in playing a friendly prior to the World Cup. Italy is notorious for playing pre-tournament friendlies against teams that play a similar style to a team they will play in the group stages of a tournament, and when it comes to the US they probably couldn't do much better in playing us when it comes to similar players/style.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

[but these do seem to be the two toughest groups. Group F will surprise I think...Croatia, Australia and Japan will not be pushovers.

Not pushovers, but the battle is for the 2nd spot there. I don't see two of those teams finishing ahead of Brazil. I would love it if they did of course, but I don't expect it.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I'd say that its a good draw for Concacaf sides.

Well, I think its a good draw for one Concacaf side, Mexico. Not a bad one for the Ticos, who at least have a chance at getting out of their group. Bad draw for T&T (though likely any draw was going to be a bad one for them) but an absolutely horrible draw for the US, just horrible. Especially considering I think they were more worthy of a seed spot than Mexico, I bet a few US fans must be going nuts seeing Mexico get a seed and a weak group while the US has to upset at least one of Italy or the Czech's to go through, possibly both. And Ghana won't be a cakewalk for them either. But the US's record in Europe is not good, so they are going to have to overcome that big-time to advance, beating European teams in Europe. They will be hard pressed to repeat their QF appearance of 2002. If they make it that far this time, it won't be because they haven't earned it.

Archived