Welcome to MLS Canada

Crazy_Yank

Congratulations on gaining entry to MLS. I'm very excited to see MLS opening up shop north of the boarder. MLS is the reason for the USNT incredible improvement over the past 10 years. I think MLS can do the same for Canada. Once Montreal and Vancover join the league as well we could create a Northern division with possibly Rochester and Milwaukee.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Congratulations on gaining entry to MLS. I'm very excited to see MLS opening up shop north of the boarder. MLS is the reason for the USNT incredible improvement over the past 10 years. I think MLS can do the same for Canada. Once Montreal and Vancover join the league as well we could create a Northern division with possibly Rochester and Milwaukee.

I'd love to see Rochester in but are they trying to get in anymore? I'm afraid I know nothing about Milwaukee.

Rochester would be a great rivalry as it was when the Rhinos played the Lynx (when they were a decent time).

quote:Originally posted by River City

Hey Crazy Yank! Any word on Houston and MLS?

I've been hearing talk that San Jose may be moved to Houston. It's 50-50 right now that SJ will move. Last night on the Univision news they said Mexican side Club America is interested in buying into MLS, most likely San Jose.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

"Canada" hasn't joined MLS, Toronto has.

In fact, the deal specifically keeps the rest of Canada out.

The rest of canada doesn't want in so whats the big deal? Leanarduzzi said he doesnt want MLS because they're not ready. They wont even have an SSS until the exclusivity clause runs out so you are wrong on that one too. Montreal doesnt want to join. Alberta can't even make USL work. So....who is being kept out here, give us some names.

"Canada" hasn't joined MLS, Toronto has.

In fact, the deal specifically keeps the rest of Canada out.

The rest of canada doesn't want in so whats the big deal? Leanarduzzi said he doesnt want MLS because they're not ready. They wont even have an SSS until the exclusivity clause runs out so you are wrong on that one too. Montreal doesnt want to join. Alberta can't even make USL work. So....who is being kept out here, give us some names.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

RG please, don't let facts get in the way of the mandatory Toronto/MLSE bashing.

A Canadian mls division is something that *could* happen - but not for 20-25 years I believe unless Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon (along with The Big Three) all find big money owners. - or even a second Ontario team.

A Northern Division wouldn't work simply because the coast-to-coast travel would not make any sense - unless you've invented a transporter...in which case I am moving to the Turks and Caicos or New Zealand! OH OH, maybe that mach 15 jet from Angels & Demons!?

Don't take this as belittling, I love dreamers. A northern division would be awesome - but the geography doesn't make sense.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

A Canadian mls division is something that *could* happen - but not for 20-25 years I believe unless Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon (along with The Big Three) all find big money owners. - or even a second Ontario team.

A Northern Division wouldn't work simply because the coast-to-coast travel would not make any sense - unless you've invented a transporter...in which case I am moving to the Turks and Caicos or New Zealand! OH OH, maybe that mach 15 jet from Angels & Demons!?

Don't take this as belittling, I love dreamers. A northern division would be awesome - but the geography doesn't make sense.

Indeed witness the Northern Division of the AHL last year. The St. John's Leafs were in the same division as the Manitoba Moose.

db

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Whether there are obvious names or not, that doesn't take away the fact that the agreement contains a Canadian exclusivity clause, does it?

If there's no need for an exclusivity clause, as you claim, then why is there one?

And how do you think the rest of Canada feels when the CSA signs away rights to the entire country to just one city, especially when that city has been an absolute joke at running a football club for the past 20 years?

It's not Toronto bashing; that's a cheap excuse to deflect blame. I'd be making these same arguments if Montreal, or any other city, was awarded Canadian-wide rights.

CSA = wankers.

Until very recently I thought the rest of Canada didn't want anything to do with MLS. Historically on this board most Toronto area posters were for it and high percentage of non-Toronto area posteres were against it. I guess that isn't the case any longer. Its funny how things change.

You'll have to ask MLSE why they wanted exclusivity until 2009. I think its to do with the Canadian player market, and I am guessing its a (rather unnecessary IMO) safeguard in case Saputo & Kerfoot changed their minds about when or if they want to join MLS (which still leaves aside the issue of when MLS wants other Canadian cities to join), but from the CSA's point of view why not agree to it when the other teams are on record as saying they aren't interested in joining until 2010 at the earliest anyway?

By the way, the "City of Toronto" hasn't been a joke at running a pro soccer team, the Lynx owners are the ones who have had that responsibility, and they aren't the ones being rewarded with an MLS team. If Vancouver or Montreal had the same owners we have had, they would have had similar crowds as well. Thankfully we all have better owners now.

Until very recently I thought the rest of Canada didn't want anything to do with MLS. Historically on this board most Toronto area posters were for it and high percentage of non-Toronto area posteres were against it. I guess that isn't the case any longer. Its funny how things change.

You'll have to ask MLSE why they wanted exclusivity until 2009. I think its to do with the Canadian player market, and I am guessing its a (rather unnecessary IMO) safeguard in case Saputo & Kerfoot changed their minds about when or if they want to join MLS (which still leaves aside the issue of when MLS wants other Canadian cities to join), but from the CSA's point of view why not agree to it when the other teams are on record as saying they aren't interested in joining until 2010 at the earliest anyway?

By the way, the "City of Toronto" hasn't been a joke at running a pro soccer team, the Lynx owners are the ones who have had that responsibility, and they aren't the ones being rewarded with an MLS team. If Vancouver or Montreal had the same owners we have had, they would have had similar crowds as well. Thankfully we all have better owners now.

Saputo actually stated that he did not agree with the SIngle-entity concept. but heck, bring on Worcester, Richmond and LeHigh Valley (where the Fck in this world is this place??????) i can't get over that one. gotta be a high school in Vancouver [:P]:D

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Saputo actually stated that he did not agree with the SIngle-entity concept. but heck, bring on Worcester, Richmond and LeHigh Valley (where the Fck in this world is this place??????) i can't get over that one. gotta be a high school in Vancouver [:P]:D

or that major market of Salt Lake.

huhhh....why, oh why must i answer signor Gagger-swallow Man,

well, it must be a RRRRRRREAL market, with 18,000 avg. attendance this season and a SSS to be ready for the 2007 season. sounds major to me.

by the way, how did the Salty Dogs do this past season???? did they beat out LeHigh Valley??? [:0][:X][:X]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nothing's changed for me. I'd still rather be in USL than MLS, for now at least.

You have this silent smugness that the rest of us are envious and bitter that TO got MLS. That's not the case. The ONLY thing I care about is the fact that the CSA/MLS found it necessary to include an exclusivity clause. My questions is: why? Thus far, no one has been able to justify it. They just keep resorting to "Toronto basher!" tactics.

Perhaps one of you could actually answer the question.

Yes, I've been labled a T-O basher....

But I still think the means to an end has been lost. The CSA's cheerleading has left the ROC saying "What the fluck about us" and the GTA saying " We want a stadium and a team that wins, no matter the league"

MLS is here, do I wish T-O well at the gate, well yes I honestly do...( but they better win to maintain home support. If the Lynx would've won something......then.....)..do I wish T-O well on the field nooooooooo I hope the become the Raptors of the MLS.

Just my cynical view but if CSA in all it's cheerleading had managed to get Canucks and Yanks as non-imports. By getting jobs for 10-12 Canadians on one MLS team at the expense of USL D-1 (Let's see if Lynx survive). I wonder what really has happened?

I don't think anyone is against MLS in T-O or a stadium but the CSA acting as a carnival barker has raised some ire.....if anybody gets my drift.

Just to add a little to the CSA/MLS relationship complaint I didn't see the CSA in all it's might lobby one single goverment penny for stadia improvements in any other city. And good luck now going back to that well again anytime in the near future. Especially without a WYC carrot.

Sorry. I return you to your regular scheduled program.

You have this silent smugness that the rest of us are envious and bitter that TO got MLS.

Well that's a first. I've never been accused about a "silent smugness" before. How do you deduce that off internet posts?

I'd give up my first born to get MLS in Vancouver & Montreal by 2007 as well. However wishing that it will happen is not going to get us anywhere - fact is it was very unlikely that MLS would want 3 Canadian teams at once even if all three cities were interested in getting in by 2007.

quote:

That's not the case. The ONLY thing I care about is the fact that the CSA/MLS found it necessary to include an exclusivity clause. My questions is: why? Thus far, no one has been able to justify it.

Perhaps one of you could actually answer the question.

I have on numerous occasions in this & other threads. I'll reiterate my theory one more time. I think MLSE wanted it - MLSE want the team to win right away, and they have a lower opinion of the Canadian player pool than most of us do. If that pool is spread across several European teams and several Canadian MLS teams, they feel the team will struggle at the start.

I don't agree with them re: the player pool, but if that is their view its understandable they would want exclusivity for a few years until the pool widens & increases, especially when the other potential MLS cities have not expressed an interest to join before that period anway. As such, if the CSA is getting a sports empire to get involved with Canadian soccer for the first time ever (probably a wet dream to them for decades), and the sports empire is demanding this and it doesn't affect anything adversely in the other cities by the other cities own admission, why wouldn't they agree to it?

Archived