Welcome to MLS Canada

Crazy_Yank

I don't think this exclusivity clause is a big deal either, because I can't see another Canadian MLS franchise before then anyway. People seem to take it as a given that Vancouver and Montreal will be granted MLS franchises in the future, and this is still far from certain. I don't see MLS expansion into Toronto as anything but a good thing for Canadian soccer and I don't know why we can't just be happy for those in TO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Markus

I don't think this exclusivity clause is a big deal either, because I can't see another Canadian MLS franchise before then anyway. People seem to take it as a given that Vancouver and Montreal will be granted MLS franchises in the future, and this is still far from certain. I don't see MLS expansion into Toronto as anything but a good thing for Canadian soccer and I don't know why we can't just be happy for those in TO.

Good stuff Markus!

quote:Originally posted by Markus

Sanity prevails at last. Thank-you Markus.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Until very recently I thought the rest of Canada didn't want anything to do with MLS. Historically on this board most Toronto area posters were for it and high percentage of non-Toronto area posteres were against it. I guess that isn't the case any longer. Its funny how things change.

You'll have to ask MLSE why they wanted exclusivity until 2009. I think its to do with the Canadian player market, and I am guessing its a (rather unnecessary IMO) safeguard in case Saputo & Kerfoot changed their minds about when or if they want to join MLS (which still leaves aside the issue of when MLS wants other Canadian cities to join), but from the CSA's point of view why not agree to it when the other teams are on record as saying they aren't interested in joining until 2010 at the earliest anyway?

By the way, the "City of Toronto" hasn't been a joke at running a pro soccer team, the Lynx owners are the ones who have had that responsibility, and they aren't the ones being rewarded with an MLS team. If Vancouver or Montreal had the same owners we have had, they would have had similar crowds as well. Thankfully we all have better owners now.

The only way that Canada will be a strong nation is with national league. We can't play a bit part in another countries national league, which countries like Monaco do.

We need our own league, which is exactly what Australia has, and look at them. Having one team in MLS will do nothing for the national team. In fact, if Vancouver and Montreal were to also join, it would mean still not be enough to have a significant impact on the MNT. We need our own league.

Guest Jeffery S.

I just want to say that the exclusivity clause is quite standard, and the period is not that long.

MLSE is thus encouraged to at least put out feelers to the other key players in Canada, or vice versa, if they or the others want to move for expansion in 2009, for example. MLSE knows that they could never walk into Van or Mtl with the ease they have done in Toronto, they would have to negotiate, collaborate. Yet any holder of rights is usually free to decide how to use their privileges- they can even be sold I would think.

The period of the clause ensures them the possibility to market the TO MLS team as "Canada's team", try to extend the marketing and merchandising network beyond Metro Toronto, establish national and not just local or provincial TV interest (and perhaps a specific TV contract, an extension or spin off or independent version of the existing MLS one), perhaps even try to put out feelers for developing a youth or junior system looking at players from outside Ontario. This is all part of letting them work on and try to make sense of the initial investment. It is effectively a short-term monopoly meant to allow them to consolidate, and if they do well fast it allows them to reap the benefits of their good work by having a go at another Canadian market.

Then, if they decide not to use their exclusivity, they retreat into Ontario and MLS could speak freely to the other active agents in line.

Further to all of this, MLSE could always negotiate to cede their rights, or share them, so it is not as if they could not collaborate or even indirectly facilitate another MLS franchise in Canada before the exclusivity clause runs out.

Guest Jeffery S.

I just want to say that the exclusivity clause is quite standard, and the period is not that long.

MLSE is thus encouraged to at least put out feelers to the other key players in Canada, or vice versa, if they or the others want to move for expansion in 2009, for example. MLSE knows that they could never walk into Van or Mtl with the ease they have done in Toronto, they would have to negotiate, collaborate. Yet any holder of rights is usually free to decide how to use their privileges- they can even be sold I would think.

The period of the clause ensures them the possibility to market the TO MLS team as "Canada's team", try to extend the marketing and merchandising network beyond Metro Toronto, establish national and not just local or provincial TV interest (and perhaps a specific TV contract, an extension or spin off or independent version of the existing MLS one), perhaps even try to put out feelers for developing a youth or junior system looking at players from outside Ontario. This is all part of letting them work on and try to make sense of the initial investment. It is effectively a short-term monopoly meant to allow them to consolidate, and if they do well fast it allows them to reap the benefits of their good work by having a go at another Canadian market.

Then, if they decide not to use their exclusivity, they retreat into Ontario and MLS could speak freely to the other active agents in line.

Further to all of this, MLSE could always negotiate to cede their rights, or share them, so it is not as if they could not collaborate or even indirectly facilitate another MLS franchise in Canada before the exclusivity clause runs out.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

While I agree that the exclusivity thing sucks, I think two important points should be brought up:

1. Complaing about it may be moot, because the MLS was going to give it to MLSE anyway. The thing I don't understand is why the CSA felt it even needed to be addressed. Shouldn't MLS decide who they let in, not the CSA?

2. Didn't this thing pass 9-3 in a CSA vote, with only BC, Quebec and Pro Clubs voting against this? Why aren't the other provincial associations being held accountable for allowing this to go through? Why would the Prairie and Atlantic associations be in favour of this?

(If you've got the time, this topic has actualy evolved into a pretty good read. At least in my opinion. I know were I stand on it but others of differing opinions have made some clear and founded arguments. But I'm still right and they're wrong...)

To the 1st part MLS is only in Canada at the CSAs invite. The CSA, as fat cats or beggers it doesn't matter which, has authority from FIFA to dictate the terms of footie in Canada. MLS can live with those terms or it can stay south of the 49th. Further MLS expansion into Vancouver and Montreal should have been top of the CSAs list and the CSA should have made clear legal allowances in any agreement struck with MLS (and MLSE) to that effect. I think it can safely be said this did not occure.

As to the 2nd part, can't speak for anybody else but who knows what politics played out during the debates which must have occured before the vote. In spite of a strong and commited football community in Winnipeg, this province continues to be a decade (at least) behind just about everybody else nationwide. Things are changing lately and hopefully will continue to improve but my faith in the MSA has never been especially strong.

Anyway, carry on.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Originally posted by G-Man

i only object when the TO Aviator fans ejaculate MLS cum all over the rest of us and we're supposed to think "cool"

You need help. Please see a psychiatrist.

RealGooner

blah blah blah. I'm a baby killer, a terrorist equal to the guys of 9/11 and I need to help???

Well all the pro-MLS Toronto talk has had very sexual overtones. It's like some people here have found a new lover complete with a SSS bedroom. I mean it's like you're all finally realizing you might get laid.

All this due to a pro team, that you have no involvement with, that hasn't sold a ticket, signed a player, named a coach or even has a website.

What going to happen when they actually win 6 games in their first year? Or what happened if they take the soccer community for granted like the Lynx has for the last 10 years?

Sexual, oh ya. Desperate- indeed. And desperate people generally get their hearts broken time after time.

I think the help is needed elsewhere than with me.

Archived