Miami joins USL Division 1

Alberto7

After a week of rumours, it is official

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/112694.html

MIAMI FC Press Release

Thursday, November 3, 2005

Miami, FL -- Traffic Sports USA announced today the acquisition of an expansion professional soccer franchise that will represent Miami and South Florida in the United Soccer Leagues' First Division beginning in the 2006 season.

The team, MIAMI FC, will join 11 other teams that include the Atlanta Silverbacks, Charleston Battery, Minnesota Thunder, Montreal Impact, Portland Timbers, Puerto Rico Islanders, Rochester Raging Rhinos, Seattle Sounders, Toronto Lynx, Vancouver Whitecaps and the Virginia Beach Mariners. The 20-year old USL is the largest organization of soccer leagues in the United States and has played a key role in the sports' surging popularity. In 2004 USL boasted an attendance record of over 1 million fans and many more tuned in to watch weekly on television via the Fox Soccer Channel.

Traffic Group is one of the leading sports event management entities in the world. It is headquartered in Brazil and has regional offices in the U.S. and Europe. Traffic Sports USA (formerly Inter/Forever Sports), based in Miami for the last 15 years, commercializes and/or currently owns rights to top sports properties in the North American, Central American and Caribbean region including the majority of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying matches, five of the last six CONCACAF Gold Cups, the Central American (UNCAF) Nations Cup, the Central American (UNCAF) Club Championship and individual team rights. In addition, Traffic Sports USA represents Traffic Group's properties such as Copa America and Copa Sudamericana.

Julio Mariz, President of Traffic Sports USA and Head of Soccer for Traffic Group commented, "We are proud to bring a top notch professional sports team representing the world's most popular sport to South Florida and its passionate soccer fans. We have a long track record organizing soccer events in this community and are grateful for the support and commitment that we have received. We look forward to further developing our relationship with the community and to fielding a winning team that all of us in Miami and South Florida will feel proud of."

Francisco Marcos, Founder and President of United Soccer Leagues commented, "We are thrilled to welcome Traffic Sports and their new USL First Division Franchise, MIAMI FC, into our ever-growing soccer family. Given their global soccer expertise and credibility, we are confident that Traffic will contribute greatly to the further development of USL and that MIAMI FC will be a success story both on and off the field."

MIAMI FC General Manager Luiz Muzzi added, "We want the fans to play an active role in the development of MIAMI FC from the very start. For example, we will soon let them know how to participate in choosing a nickname and mascot for the team. In addition, over the coming weeks and months, we plan to announce the home of MIAMI FC as well as details regarding coaches, players and much more."

MIAMI FC will be play 14 regular season home games and 14 regular season away games in 2006. In addition, MIAMI FC will host pre-season matches beginning in March as well as several friendly matches during the course of the year. MIAMI FC has also been invited to compete in the 2006 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

About Traffic Sports USA:

Traffic Sports USA (formerly Inter/Forever Sports), based in Miami, is the North American, Central American and Caribbean regional headquarters of the Traffic Group. Traffic Sports USA has been the leading soccer event management company in the region for over 15 years organizing and/or commercializing most of the international soccer events including the vast majority of CONCACAF's FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches, five of the last six CONCACAF Gold Cups, the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the Under-17 CONCACAF Regional Championship, the Central American (UNCAF) Nations Cups, the Central American (UNCAF) Club Champions Cup, and hundreds of friendly matches.

About Traffic Group:

The Traffic Group is one of the leading sports event management companies in the world. The Group was founded in Brazil over 20 years ago and continues to be headquartered in Sao Paolo. It has regional offices in Miami (Traffic Sports USA) and Amsterdam (Traffic Sports Europe). During the course of the last two decades, the Traffic Group has organized and/or commercialized most of the international matches in the Americas including: the FIFA Club World Championship 2000, Copa America, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, the Under-17 CONMEBOL Regional Championship, the CONMEBOL Olympic Qualifying Tournaments and hundreds of friendly matches.

As the sports leader in Latin America, the Traffic Group also owns rights to other sports properties such as basketball and golf. Other holdings of the Group include 4 Rede Globo affiliates in Brazil and its own television production facility.

About United Soccer Leagues:

USL is the largest organization of soccer leagues in North America. United Soccer Leagues is dedicated to growing the sport at the grassroots level in every community across the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. USL and its franchises are committed to a quality family entertainment experience that is community-centered, accessible, affordable, exciting and educational.

Media Contacts:

Luis Gonzalez or Lina Baena

C-Com Group Inc.

305-371-4030

luis@ccomgroupinc.com

lina@ccomgroupinc.com

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

"We want the fans to play an active role in the development of MIAMI FC from the very start. For example, we will soon let them know how to participate in choosing a nickname and mascot for the team.

Damn! I thought the might actually just be called Miami FC - but that would be too difficult wouldn't it. Gotta have a snazzy nickname (I vote for Butterfly Ballots) or the kids won't care right. Who'd want to actually try selling "the world's most popular game" rather than mascots.

Mike.

Good move all around and no $20M USD expansion fee to bankrupt the venture right off the hop.

Good for Miami and good for the league. Looks like a very strong owner in Traffic Sports, exactly what any league is looking for.

Fair bit of travel involved odviously, but at least the Islanders will be happier and can another Florida club be too far behind?

Doesn't look like Fort Lauderdale is the plan.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/soccer/13094288.htm

When I was in Miami a few years back at Gold Cup time, MLS spring training was also taking place. On nights when there were no Gold Cup games, I'd drive up to Fort Lauderdale to catch an MLS pre-season friendly double-header. It took ages to get there. Lockhart Stadium is remote, and I can't see big crowds ever going there. The Orange Bowl is different. It's in the heart of Miami's Hispanic community, which looks like it will be the target audience of this new team. Maybe they want to be Florida's version of Chivas?

But, as Michelle Kaufman says in the Herald, it will be a hard slog making it pay. But if it's marketed right and the team is good enough it could work.

If it does: Gianluca and the other guys I met in Miami, how about a trip if they ever get to play the Lynx down there? Maybe we could go back to those interesting parts of Miami we saw last time?!? Just keep the car doors locked this time. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

Doesn't look like Fort Lauderdale is the plan.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/soccer/13094288.htm

When I was in Miami a few years back at Gold Cup time, MLS spring training was also taking place. On nights when there were no Gold Cup games, I'd drive up to Fort Lauderdale to catch an MLS pre-season friendly double-header. It took ages to get there. Lockhart Stadium is remote, and I can't see big crowds ever going there. The Orange Bowl is different. It's in the heart of Miami's Hispanic community, which looks like it will be the target audience of this new team. Maybe they want to be Florida's version of Chivas?

But, as Michelle Kaufman says in the Herald, it will be a hard slog making it pay. But if it's marketed right and the team is good enough it could work.

If it does: Gianluca and the other guys I met in Miami, how about a trip if they ever get to play the Lynx down there? Maybe we could go back to those interesting parts of Miami we saw last time?!? Just keep the car doors locked this time. ;)

I was one who went to both events; the Gold Cup at the Orange bowl and the friendly at Lockhart stadium at Ft Lauderdale. Its a real catch 22 in my opinion. Lockhart would be a perfect facility for the USL. In fact, it would be very adequate for even the MLS but, as I saw it, that area does not strike me as having the soccer supporter demographics. If its the hispanic community that is going to be the driving force for soccer support in South Florida, then I did not see much of these types in the ft Lauderdale area and in Lockhart stadium. The make up of the crowd at lockhart struck me as very much the suburban family type.

On the other hand, I did see much of the first generation-working class ethnic crowds in Miami and there was much more passion for the game amongst the gathering. Mind you I was there for only the CRC-Martinique and Can-Haiti matches. But the problem with Miami is: How can you play USL matches in a 72,000 seat stadium? I don't think you can, the facility is just too big.

quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Why not? We do it in Seattle. [:I]

richmond_crowd.jpg

Yes but when you are drawing 2,000 people to a game doesn't it seem like no one is there? I saw the final with 8,000 people and it looked pretty empty.

I would much prefer Miami to play out of a 5,000 seater to begin with and then move to something larger when the crowds are growing.

Sounds good to me! :)

And with the news of the stadium & MLS coming to Toronto, I hope that the next time you are in town here, we'll have a somewhat better soccer product for you to attend, in a much better stadium, than what we showed you at Centennial this past May!

Soccer in Seattle sure has changed. When I went there in '98 the Sounders played at a small old stadium near the Space Needle with some kind of astroturf pitch.

Memorial Stadium (ugh). BTW, I was joking about big stadiums...I think smaller venues ARE better for USL-1.

However, Qwest Field IS way better than Memorial...

memorial11.jpg

Archived