The Yallop Report Card

canso

Time to evaluate the manager, post Gold Cup:

Tactics = B-

consistently played an effective formation, except for the last game when he tried to go for goals with three strikers, an experiment that ultimately backfired, although due more to the failings of the players. the sides he fielded had good balance and more or less had the right players (at least those available) at the right positions. However, the final game saw two right footed players (Bernier and Pozniak) on the left side of the field and Attiba wasted in a wing role. He did adjust by subbing Grande out, but too late to salvage a result.

Selection = C-

if we accept the exclusion of the best players for the reasons given, then few complaints can be made. However, when you are forced to push your best midfielder into a centre back role due to injury, it raises questions. Had Tam Nsaliwa not been excluded and publicly scorned then the defence and midfield would have benefited tremendously. Regardless of what happened with Tam, cover at the back should have been provided for. Wondering as well how serious Hume's injury was, as he looked sprightly when he came in late against the Ticos. Could he not have started that game? Was he being protected at the request of the club trying to sell him, or is there something else going on between him and Frank?

Motivation = C+

passion was evident, discipline was not. those on the field were giving it their all, and for once, the passion of the manager was obvious as well. no excuse for having two players sent off however. indicates to me a firmer hand might be needed at the helm.

Overall = C grade

showed some cunning by downplaying expectations and removing any pressure on the results. although he got himself sent off in the last game, seems he was trying to protect his players and I for one am glad he did finally stand up for himself, as he at least showed me he cares. There is no reason for Canada to do as poorly as they did in this tournament, given the opposition, but the quality of the officiating mitigates much criticism of the manager. The team played better than they had in WCQ but much needs to be done before the next round of qualifying.

Verdict = should be replaced before 2008, but could yet save himself.

made up for some dissapointments and restored some confidence by displaying at least a minimun of common sense. He should have been fired after the WCQ (Corazzin!!!) and he still has a long way to go, but, taking into account the fact this was a B team in a meaningless tournament, he has shown enough with what was given to him to perhaps stay the axe...for now. If I was in charge of the CSA, I woud quietly prepare a contingency plan in case he fails to repair relationships with key players or continues to put too much trust in A leaguers and rookies. If he does continue to show his team can progress on the field and if he does begin to establish his authority without having to sacrifice talented yet strong willed players, then he may perhaps convince me he is the man to lead us to the World Cup and I will sing "Frankie Yallop's Red and White Army" wthout choking.

But then again, he is short and chinless, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Your C- isn't justified by anything(your just assuming stuff like Hume wasn't injured and Tam refused the invitation), I would give him a B+ at selection, the reason being Rob Friend should have been invited and was an obvious selection for this team IMHO.

Your C- isn't justified by anything(your just assuming stuff like Hume wasn't injured and Tam refused the invitation), I would give him a B+ at selection, the reason being Rob Friend should have been invited and was an obvious selection for this team IMHO.

Time to evaluate the manager, post Gold Cup:

Tactics = C-

The team has struggled to score, and looked out of place in WCQ. The match against Guatemala showed how poorly prepared the team was, and the Gold Cup experience seconded that.

Selection = D

His insistance on DDR has been poor, considering that he hasn't impressed. Furthermore, I think of that wasted Jamie Peters substitution against Honduras as a poor decision. Also, players like Onstad and Watson featuring so prominently in the WCQ squad despite the fact that they played awful.

Motivation = B

They work hard, they just can't seem to translate that desire into ability as a team.

Overall = D

I'm sorry, they have been lousy and it hasn't even been close to getting better. They are showing no signs of imporvement.

Verdict = I think that he should be fired but I'm not about to call for his head. In any other country, he's fired based on the fact that we're losing, and have done so for some time. That sends a message that we cannot accept failure. But I still support him, and will continue to do so.

quote:Originally posted by Soccer_Josh

I Don't really understand why they sent him off in the last game...referee went a little extreme...but when you think of it most CONCACAF refs do.

It was a pretty mild outburst, I thought. He did come off the bench, bunch his right hand into a fist and waived it in the direction of the Ref as he shouted "F-Off!" (another for my growing list of Great Canadian Soundbits, along with Serioux dropping the f-bomb against the US). Dobson though it was just an incorrect foul called on Simpson that set him off the bench, but as usual he is too slow to call the game properly - it was that foul called plus the lack of call on an incredibly obvious hand ball just outside the Cuban penalty area by a Cuban seconds before that set him off. It still seemed pretty mild for a sending off, but that Concacaf officiating for you. You don't get a yellow for deliberately hand-balling the ball into the net like DeRo did (which I think shows the extent of the frustration of the team at that point) but you can get a red if your a coach for shouting "F-OFF!"

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It was a pretty mild outburst, I thought. He did come off the bench, bunch his right hand into a fist and waived it in the direction of the Ref as he shouted "F-Off!" (another for my growing list of Great Canadian Soundbits, along with Serioux dropping the f-bomb against the US).

Better than Aunger flubbing a routine pass out of play at Azteca during qualification for WC 98,then dropping his f-bomb?

I for one thought the team played good football and only the players were responsible for the poor finishing.

The rumor is all the players were invited and Tam, deGuzman, Klowoski etc refused to join the squad, Jazic was injured.

Atiba did a good job and so did Bernier for two games anyway, CR & US. Sutton, braz and gervais should be involved in the future. Simpson. Sarioux & peters are also good prospects. Add reda, tam, klowoski and deguzman and things will look better.

We could always return to kick and chase with hard tackling and set plays :D then I for one will stop watching

Honestly yallop wasnt to blame in this tournament it was Ocean and Gerba who couldnt put the balls in the net with their chances all Yallop can do is give them the opportunities.

PLus this was a b team I hope alot of players return to face spain and Luxembourg they need to get familiar with one another. Yallop will earn my trust if he gives Rob friend a chance and can find another quality striker from now until 2007 when WCFY starts again and never invite Ocean or Gerba ever they have no place with the MNT.

The Montreal Impact are a great team and so some players can be salvaged such as Braz, Gervais, Sutton and maybe Grande but we cannot compare this USL division to the rest of the world so Yallop should lay off a little on the USL choices

Yeah, let's never invite our promissing youngsters who are both in Canada's last 4 scorers and who just need to find their scoring touch (Ali started like this for the Impact at home, then lit it up).

Do people reason like this for real???

Tough tourny to judge Frankie on. Sure he's got baggage from the WCQ campain when it comes to player selection, but still. His fault, her fault, anybody's fault, this tourny was a tough sell to all the players in Europe and rightly so. Really was meaningless in the big scheme of things. So in a way, because of limited player selection Lucky Frank Yallop earns a get-out-of-jail free card on this go around.

In a way.

Anywho... Interesting topic which has been covered big time but what the Hell. It isn't as though this isn't a managers lot in life. Frankie better get used to it.

During the broadcasts Dobson and Forrest both mentioned that given the failed WCQ, Frankie really has to turn around the results. It's good to play this way and that and look like some sort of progress is taking place, real or imagined, but the results need to start coming in and I couldn't agree more.

So be warned, Frankie. That shine you carried over from your MLS success has tarnished big time. Not much chance of another freebie my boy. No chance actualy.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Tough tourny to judge Frankie on. Sure he's got baggage from the WCQ campain when it comes to player selection, but still. His fault, her fault, anybody's fault, this tourny was a tough sell to all the players in Europe and rightly so. Really was meaningless in the big scheme of things. So in a way, because of limited player selection Lucky Frank Yallop earns a get-out-of-jail free card on this go around.

In a way.

Anywho... Interesting topic which has been covered big time but what the Hell. It isn't as though this isn't a managers lot in life. Frankie better get used to it.

During the broadcasts Dobson and Forrest both mentioned that given the failed WCQ, Frankie really has to turn around the results. It's good to play this way and that and look like some sort of progress is taking place, real or imagined, but the results need to start coming in and I couldn't agree more.

So be warned, Frankie. That shine you carried over from your MLS success has tarnished big time. Not much chance of another freebie my boy. No chance actualy.

Must be the only intelligent thing those two said. Dobson I would never listen too he does not have any idea of the game what so ever. Must be the worst football rporter in the World. "Yes World" Craig has experience but at times sounds like he forgot what it takes. What amazes me is that they seldom talked about the quality of play being played by largely what was a "B" team. Yes results are important but at what stage in the development of the programme. As I said before I caught myself actually enjoying the football, unlike in the past or unlike watching the women (which I refuse to watch in its present form). Most football peoples have made the comment about the performance in a positive manner and if this continues I think Canada will get the results it seks.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Yeah, let's never invite our promissing youngsters who are both in Canada's last 4 scorers and who just need to find their scoring touch (Ali started like this for the Impact at home, then lit it up).

Do people reason like this for real???

As i recall Daniel your the Impact fan and what did Gerba do ill give him that he did travel back and forth but he and Ocean could of put tons of goals in and didnt point being you wont be so happy come world cup qualifying and this happens cause if we put these guys up front we wont qualify

Im stating this more towards Ocean since he has more caps Gerba give him more games and if he cant perform than make him stay in the a League

I would like Braz, Gervais and Sutton back with us and maybe Grande. Its not a question of reason its whats been shown in front of you live with it :)

Until they proove otherwise I would give Rob friend a chance and put him with your main man Gerba. Dero didnt play well i admit that i think thats the diff between your love for the impact and my fav player I can admit when he plays like ****. If Dero continues like this then maybe canada should replace him.

I can't read without punctuation:

Gerba: GOD

OO: GOD

Yallop: GOD

Titus: hack

Dero: Zero

You read what i said so don't act smart :) everyone is entitled to their opinion you got yours i have mine. The important thing is to respect someone elses besides we both go for the same team remem :)

I gave up after two sentences.

Can't be i mentioned dero at the end and u stated that in one of my abreviation errors. Next time try and cover your tracks a little better :) but it doesn't matter i still respect you dude fight the power

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

Can't be i mentioned dero at the end and u stated that in one of my abreviation errors. Next time try and cover your tracks a little better :) but it doesn't matter i still respect you dude fight the power

I too gave up, I would like to read most posts here but if they are like that, then you see they have even been edited (!), I think it is best to skip on to the next.

Yours are not always like that Dero23, what gives?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

I too gave up, I would like to read most posts here but if they are like that, then you see they have even been edited (!), I think it is best to skip on to the next.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Well i wasn't made aware that editing and paragraphs were a must so ill make sure to to get that cleared thanks

Archived