July 6 - Montreal vs Richmond [R]

argh1

Well, I have to rely on the updates that the Impact post on their site -- unless someone with RDS would be thoughtful enough to post updates?

A goal by Biello in the 6th minute! 1-0 for Montreal.

I may not think they have 6 bona fide national team players but it is still pretty impressive that the organization has enough depth to beat two top USL teams with half their squad gone. In fact, some of these players who don't start as often may be more interesting to the national team picture in the long term than some of the callups. I guess they will have to trade some more of them to the Lynx so they can get some playing time.

Obviously I didn't see the match, in fact I haven't seen any of their matches this season, but about Richmond not being at their best: maybe they've just come down to reality? maybe they were never that good to begin with? This is something that fans of other teams were claiming a month ago, and recently those claims seem to have merit.

At the end of May Richmond were 8-1-1, but only one of those matches was against a team that is currently in the top half of the actual or points-per-match table (and four matches were against Virginia Beach, who are barely above Toronto). But since May they are only 1-1-4 (W-D-L) — and still only two of those matches were against teams that are currently in the top half of the table, so they haven't even hit the tough part of their schedule yet (7 of their last 10 matches of the season are against Portland, Rochester, Vancouver and Seattle and 7 are away from home).

Anyway, it seems to me that not only are Montreal the class of the league, they are more than one step ahead of everyone else. 2.33 points per match, next best is 1.81 (Richmond) [that is not supposed to be "proof" of my previous statement, just an observation]. Of course, because there are playoffs, this means little at this point.

10,500 and the stadium grandstand looked full.

Stupid observation, the Richmond goalie looked like his jersey was almost the same colour as his out players at least on TV, told you it was a stupid observation.

Now if I can convince the better half to put off our annual pilgrimage to Pointe Clair 'till the end of the month I might catch the Lynx game.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Impact tie their 12-game unbeaten run from 2004 (8-0-4) and have not tasted defeat since last August against Richmond at CCR, a span of 17 games!

CRC is the new Forum. Lets not forget when the Habs moved to some faceless entertainment palace that the on ice success faded.

I'm starting a petition for the Impact to stay at CRC, so the same fate doesn't happen to them as it did the habs.

It's hollowed ground.

And I've sent a letter to the Premier of Quebec asking him to desinate CRC as a historical soccer site due to it hosting some games at the U-17 WC in 1987.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/U17/tournament/0,6288,U17-2005-22,00.html

It was this Youth World Cup that brought soccer to the fore front of the Canadain sports scene and set the groundwork for a professional soccer league in this country. It also left a lasting legacy of soccer facilities, for example the CRC was upgraded for the u-17 W and Varisty in TO got a new surface.

ohhh wait that the upcoming U-20 thing is supposed to do that.

Some things never change.

I ordered a bunch of "I'm one of the Voyageurs crazies" stickers. I'll be sure to send you a case.

CCR is a DUMP. The Forum was a historical building that was around for 80 years, played a central role in Québec society and saw some of the best-ever hockey teams play there. CCR is a crappy municipal facility where the Impact have played all of 11 years or so. By your logic, the Habs never should have moved from Mount-Royal Arena to the Forum. SS will be our Forum.

But winning is everything in pro sports and Montreal seems to agree and you as suggest the CRC is death to the visitors.

It's a dump that works. It's a dump that people will go to see a winning team. The Forum was considered a dump to the owners of the Habs, hense the new rink. I admit that it was a classy older rink, but in A-league terms, so is CRC.

Sophism was originally a term for the techniques taught by a highly respected group of philosophy and rhetoric teachers in ancient Greece. The derogatory modern usage of the word, suggesting an invalid argument composed of specious reasoning, is not necessarily representative of the beliefs of the original Sophists, except that they generally taught Rhetoric. The Sophists are known today only through the writings of their opponents (specifically Plato and Aristotle), which makes it difficult to formulate a complete view of the Sophists' beliefs.

That picture does not do the stadium justice since the photo is taken from the main grand stands which are covered. When you are actually there and look at the whole facility, you realize that it is very professional looking for an a-league operation. It would even be very suitable, i suspect, for many D2 teams in europe. What I have always found strange about this debate is that I believe many on this site who live in other parts of canada such as the west, get a false impression of CCR from the Montrealers who post on this site.

Its great that they are building a new facility in Montreal and certainly it will be an improvement, but come on, don't you think that operators in places like Rochestor, Toronto and many locales in western canada (who previously had a-league clubs) would kill for a kind of facility like CCR? Wouldn't be surprised if there still would be teams in those places if they did. Come to think of it, Is there anybody here who has been to both CCR and Swangard? I have not been to Swangard and would be curious to hear their impressions.

Yes the stands are far from the field. But as far as actual facility ( excluding amenities), CCR is far and away the best that I have been to amongst Pioneer field in Rochestor and Centennial stadium in Toronto. Of course Rochestor takes the top prize when it comes to amenities with their awsome concession and so forth but its a bloody baseball stadium whereby most of the seats are located behind or around the goal area and the field has the dirt from the baseball diamond.

This is another reason why I have often wondered why the CSA ignores CCR for international matches. I cannot understand what advantges Swangard Offers. Its ( CCR) also far and away superior to what we saw in Kingston.

I have to agree with free kick on this one. I may have a biased on this opinion, given that i live about 10 mins. to CCR. I have had cousins over from Italia come to visit our family, two Huge Fiorentina Fans. (bleed purple:() They were extremely impressed with the stadium (excluding the amenities. Mind you in 2004-2005 Joey Sap. hired his gumbas at one of his golf courses, i think its in St-Lazzare - Hudson area, anyways, His Brothers did one hell of a spectacular PITCH......ohhhh yeah, I said PITCH!!!!.......:D It brought Tears to my eyes when at 19:15 P.M. I watched the "Joeys Boys" warm up, I could swear I coul hear Steel cramps digging into Golf Course Green quality tuf.......Hell a dumber man might say you could almost toke that ****. As I strolled the Granstand, with a nice cold glass of holland beer Heineken, I admired both the pretty Montreal women and the the Euro Thrash Seria V.......24 division in what ever Euro Hell country League they play in. Oh Great !!!!! The Concession stand is 50 steps away, Good reason to get some exercise[:0] My Italian brothers and I decide to treat ourselves to Mirabel bought American Camel Light cigarettes.......Hum yummy (I'm a Dumaurier man myself) Thats the only thing I smoke........I swear!. So yeah Freekick CCR is defineately underrated. Joey planted some tomatoes, and produced some mediocore cheese.......Ladys and gents.............here is Canada Fortune 100 Number 5 most wealthiest families in all of Canada The Scicilian Saputos from tiny Catolica E reclea in Sweet sunny Scicilia. Que Beda sta Fragola.......Hey Todd what the great does that mean? .....(I hear you Seany Keay.....You Ultra You !!!!!![xx(]

I have to agree with free kick on this one. I may have a biased on this opinion, given that i live about 10 mins. to CCR. I have had cousins over from Italia come to visit our family, two Huge Fiorentina Fans. (bleed purple:() They were extremely impressed with the stadium (excluding the amenities. Mind you in 2004-2005 Joey Sap. hired his gumbas at one of his golf courses, i think its in St-Lazzare - Hudson area, anyways, His Brothers did one hell of a spectacular PITCH......ohhhh yeah, I said PITCH!!!!.......:D It brought Tears to my eyes when at 19:15 P.M. I watched the "Joeys Boys" warm up, I could swear I coul hear Steel cramps digging into Golf Course Green quality tuf.......Hell a dumber man might say you could almost toke that ****. As I strolled the Granstand, with a nice cold glass of holland beer Heineken, I admired both the pretty Montreal women and the the Euro Thrash Seria V.......24 division in what ever Euro Hell country League they play in. Oh Great !!!!! The Concession stand is 50 steps away, Good reason to get some exercise[:0] My Italian brothers and I decide to treat ourselves to Mirabel bought American Camel Light cigarettes.......Hum yummy (I'm a Dumaurier man myself) Thats the only thing I smoke........I swear!. So yeah Freekick CCR is defineately underrated. Joey planted some tomatoes, and produced some mediocore cheese.......Ladys and gents.............here is Canada Fortune 100 Number 5 most wealthiest families in all of Canada The Scicilian Saputos from tiny Catolica E reclea in Sweet sunny Scicilia. Que Beda sta Fragola.......Hey Todd what the great does that mean? .....(I hear you Seany Keay.....You Ultra You !!!!!![xx(]

Anyways Forza Ragaxxi.....Forza Impact.......fumma lerba......adrian Celentano.......fuma paglia.......fumma Cicoria.........a fickiata a Nora......Ai capito..........Bevi il Café Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!. Much props to my main squeez, bad boy Roberto (Badboy) Zittles Zito at Telelation on College street. Much props to my Baress Goumbaaaaaaaaaa Piazan.....Alfredo Deblassis.......relax Greeks.......he aint one of you!!!!!....now zipper up.....Yeah I also like Daniella from Viva Domenica Sundays at 18:00 p.m eastern......I would HIT that ohh yeah!!!!

Ok, it's not that bad (the stadium) and I agree that it's good for the USL, but it is pretty ill-suited for soccer and since we can get something better, why wouldn't we?

The pitch may look good (it did on TV), but it is structurally gone to hell, bumps all over. Trust me on this one.

Archived