July 6 - Montreal vs Richmond [R]

argh1

I have to agree that I was pleasantly surprised by CCR after reading many posts about it here. It is a decent stadium well above USL standards and would be reasonable for many 2 div European teams. Sure the washroom facilities could be better and the pitch is far from the stands but this is also common in many European stadiums (though not the soccer shrines we see on tv) and the sight lines are still pretty good. I am all for them building a better stadium and maybe the worst thing about CCR is that the Impact don't have exclusive use of it. It is still better than Richardson though and no worse than Swangard with far more capacity. Not world class but honestly the stadium is of a better level than the soccer currently being played in it.

As far as Greek philosophy goes the Sophists in my opinion were the greatest Greek school of thought. Even Socrates was impressed by many of them despite the lies that Plato who was against them put into his mouth. Otherwise why did Socrates send some of his students to study with Sophists? The big problem with the Sophists is that their ideas could not be reconciled to Christian-Judeo thought like Plato's and Aristotle's could. This is the reason why middle age monks had vast libraries of sophists books like those of Protagoras (exiled from Athens for writing "whether the Gods exist or not I do not know") which were "lost" while the Plato and Aristotle libraries were not lost. In my opinion Plato is a great literary figure and his works compare to Shakespeare for their literary content but as philosophy they are very poor and also greatly distort the ideas and ideals of Socrates. As his opinion about the Sophist was more palatable to the powerful people middle ages than those of other schools unfortunately this is the opinion that has carried through to this day and which is hard to refute because a great many of the Sophists works were destroyed.

Archived