Stalteri to Spurs!!

Alberto7

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4551821.stm

Spurs snap up defender Stalteri

Stalteri has arrived from Werder Bremen

Tottenham have announced the signing of Canadian international defender Paul Stalteri from Werder Bremen.

The 27-year-old full-back won the Bundesliga title and German Cup in 2004 and has over 50 international caps.

Sporting director Frank Arnesen said: "He is a defender who can play in midfield - so he is a multi-functional player who can play on both sides.

"He has come from a tough environment at Werder Bremen and their players are very well-known for their mentality."

Arnesen added: "His biggest success was last year winning the double and he has now had good experience of European football.

"I am delighted to get him in, there were a lot of clubs chasing him, including some from England. He will be a big plus for the squad."

Stalteri is the third arrival at White Hart Lane this year, following the January signings of Teemu Tainio and Tom Huddlestone.

An interview with the man himself from SkySports.

The only downside that I can see is that next season I'm going to have to watch more games with Keane's fruity goal celebration.[}:)]

Stalteri's Spurs desire

by Mark Buckingham - created on 16 May 2005

stalteri_angry.jpg

Paul Stalteri has revealed he shunned other offers to fulfil his dream of playing in The Premiership with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Canada international has concurred on a four-year contract with Spurs to join Martin Jol's side on a free transfer from Werder Bremen.

The full back recently decided to end his seven-year association with the former German champions and a move to England was his goal.

Charlton Athletic and Manchester City were linked with the 27-year-old, who conceded he received offers from other Premiership clubs.

He opted not to unmask the identity of his other suitors but confirmed there were also offers from various clubs around Europe.

But the chance to join an ambitious Tottenham team swayed Stalteri into rejecting the interest from elsewhere in favour of a deal in North London.

"It was a tough decision to leave Bremen when I decided to but it was definitely my goal and my dream to play in The Premiership one time," Stalteri told skysports.com.

"Obviously I'm delighted it's a top club like Tottenham.

"In the last little while they've expressed an interest and they've watched a lot of games this year.

"There was a lot of potential clubs and a lot of other offers that came my way.

"I won't comment on names but my top club and top decision was Tottenham. It's a massive club and there is great potential. That's why I chose to join them."

Stalteri, who can also operate in a variety of positions, has accrued valuable experience during his time in Die Bundesliga.

He admits this was a key reason why Spurs boss Jol and sporting director Frank Arnesen made a move for his services.

"Obviously it's important for me to know the coach wants a player and he expressed he wanted me to join the club," added Stalteri.

"That (Stalteri's experience) was one of the things we spoke about with Frank. That experience could definitely help.

"He felt there was a little lack of experience this season and that was one of the reasons for signing me because I have that experience, not only in Europe, but of winning things in Germany, too, and I could bring that winning mentality to the club."

Stalteri will be joined at White Hart Lane by Teemu Tainio and Tom Huddlestone in the summer and there could be further additions ahead of next season.

Spurs have adopted a policy of bringing in young talent over the past couple of seasons and Stalteri feels there is the potential to achieve a European spot next term, after the club just missed out on the Uefa Cup this time around.

"The club have such great young players and there is huge potential at the club," he continued.

"We want to be one of the top teams in The Premiership and we want to get into one of those automatic Uefa Cup spots."

Edman and Kelly are sketchy at best... atouba hasnt done well in the team and most likly out. Paramout seems to be home sick and has been linked back to france. Its deffinatly Larrys spot when he gets into camp.

Also, i dont kno how you guys cant see spurs making a run. There team is young, exciting and ready for the next step.

i hate spurs due to the hoddle leaving saints / dean richards leaving saints for spuds scenario.

and, oy vey, don't even say "anti-semetic" around here!

Spurs really are easy to hate because they used to be a big club but they're not a big club any more but all their supporters think they're still a big a club.

Good luck to Paul but it'll seem weird to sing "Stally is a Yid!"

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Why does everyone hate the spurs?? You all an anti-sematic bunch or just glory hunting gooon fans?

We're not hunting for glory. We already have it. It's called a trophy or two, never finishing outside the top 2 under Wenger, Europe without using Thomas Cook's last minute bargains...

;)...teasing...

And let's not forget the annual St. Totteringham's Day celebrations!

Archived