Liverpool - Chelsea [R]

amacpher

Holy crap! Liverpollo came out flying!! 1-nil after 5 minutes and they've held that until halftime.

They continue to leave people scratching their heads: are they this good or are they that (*pointing to their EPL matches*) bad??

Does anyone remember the last time Liverpollo allowed a shot on goal in the CL?? They couldn't have allowed more than about 5 shots in the last 3.5 games.

Alright, the longest 45 minutes of my life is about to begin.

Eh to go Liverpool, they were deserved winners today.

Even though I am not a big fan of Liverpool, I was rooting

for them any way. And I am glad they BEAT THAT ARROGANT

Jose Mourinho.

Hopefully they will meet Milan in the final

No way I'd have called that at season's start. Haven't seen it yet but will catch the whole thing a bit later.

No Liverpool fan either, but good on them. PSV is as good as done I'd guess so it's a Liverpool-AC final. I'm okay with that.

Liverpool could sure use the money. Stadium cooking in the oven and what not.

Does anyone else find the television replays of the goal inconclusive as to whether it was in the net? The announcer seemed convinced and maybe he had a better angle than the cameras but I can't say I was convinced it was over the line. One would think that a Champion's League semi-final would have a goal line camera.

When I saw the replays of the goal, I was thinking, that's it? I'm also not sure if that was a goal.

Mourinho has complained about it, and the British press has called it a 'controversial goal'.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200405/story/0,15008,1476035,00.html

The funny thing is that Mourinho is right to criticize the goal, but UEFA will probably still fine him anyway.

That arrogant little twit got what he deserves. What was he thinking putting Joe Cole on the left and subbing in Huth as a striker? That goal should have been a penalty anyways. It doesn't matter in the end, as Liverpool are obviously the team of destiny this year! Up the Reds! Who's going to Istanbul?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Does anyone else find the television replays of the goal inconclusive as to whether it was in the net? The announcer seemed convinced and maybe he had a better angle than the cameras but I can't say I was convinced it was over the line. One would think that a Champion's League semi-final would have a goal line camera.

If you look at where Gallas' left foot is while he's clearing the ball with his right-foot, it certainly appears that the ball must have crossed the line. Good call.

So much for going home as heros, eh Jose?

I think if there hadn't been an obvious penalty/possible red-card offence on the play that resulted in the alleged goal, Chelsea might have been a bit more upset. As it was, they can't be too mad the officials for losing the game where they had 1 decent shot at goal.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

some folks who bet in august made themselves a lot of money today.

being an ardent manchester united fan i was completely torn who to cheer for. the rich twats, or the scousers. as a "neutral" i cheered for the scousers.

I Remember a few years back you were the rich twats.. oh how jelousy comes about :) maybe if u didnt waste ur money all on roon roon and actually bought a team... :P

It is true, there should have been a penalty on the play. So I guess it all worked out in the end. Plus, Chelsea couldn't score anyway, so they didn't deserve to move on for that fact alone.

As per all the Chelsea haters, anyone who is a fan of ManUre, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Juve, Milan, Inter or any other traditionally weathly club, you are all hypocrites if you knock Chelsea's spending habits.

/I'm not a Chelsea fan.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

As per all the Chelsea haters, anyone who is a fan of ManUre, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Juve, Milan, Inter or any other traditionally weathly club, you are all hypocrites if you knock Chelsea's spending habits.

Not really, because even Luton Town spends money on players. The key issue is the $$$ they spend not the ### of players they buy. Nobody comes close to Chelsea then. $45million US for Drogba and over $400 million in 2 years! [:0]

That being said, its still the arrogance of Mourinho that creates the most hate. He was his typical non-classy self last night:

- "They scored a goal, if you can say they scored it. I can say that the linesman scored it."

- "But I felt that (the crowd atmosphere) did not interfere with my players but maybe it interfered with other people."

- "The better team lost tonight"

[:o)]

But in terms of over-all wealth, the abilty to keep talent, and the hoarding of the greatest players in the world, the clubs I listed are all the same. So to finger out Chelsea above all those other clubs isn't right.

Sure, Chelsea's rise has been accelerated by the Russian's money, but I'm interested to see if they can continue to be this good, or if something happens and they end up being another Lazio.

Chelsea has always been my favourite english team. This took a bit of a knock when Abrahmovic bought them because I felt like it was selling the club's soul to a guy who in my books is an absolute criminal. However, I have recently had a bit of a counter-reaction due to the hypocritical attitude of so many fans of other teams. Chelsea is doing absolutely nothing different than the Real Madrid's and ManU's of the world, buying championships. The only difference is that Chelsea doesn't have a tradition of buying championships like these other teams do who now view Chelsea disdainfully as the nouveau riche. Why isn't anyone complaining about AC Milan being in the semis? They are owned by a obscenely rich shady businessman with mafia ties who also happens to be the Prime Minister of his country. Berlusconi is like Abrahmovic and Putin combined in the same guy. I don't like the overtaking of soccer by massively rich commercial concerns either but just as is irritating is the hypocritical holier than thou attitude of jealous fans of other teams.

I came by my dislike of Chelsea quite honestly. When I lived in London and got into English soccer Chelasea was in the second division, the fans I knew were obnoxious and the running gag was that Elvis Costello's (then) current hit (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea was actually written by every footballer in the First Division :). Arsenal, the allegedly big spending team (record Transfer of only 11 million quid prior to Reyes), was a top 5 contender, and consistently one of the better teams in the English League. They were also my neighbourhood team - hence the dislike of any "big" clubs based in London. Spurs (also in Div II at that time) and Chelsea are my favourite teams to see lose. Abramovic and Mourhino are just icing on the cake!

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I came by my dislike of Chelsea quite honestly. When I lived in London and got into English soccer Chelasea was in the second division, the fans I knew were obnoxious and the running gag was that Elvis Costello's (then) current hit (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea was actually written by every footballer in the First Division :). Arsenal, the allegedly big spending team (record Transfer of only 11 million quid prior to Reyes), was a top 5 contender, and consistently one of the better teams in the English League. They were also my neighbourhood team - hence the dislike of any "big" clubs based in London. Spurs (also in Div II at that time) and Chelsea are my favourite teams to see lose. Abramovic and Mourhino are just icing on the cake!

Jeez, Gordon you lived in London in 1977? That's the last time Spurs were relegated.

Either that or you lived there pre-1950. :D

quote:If you look at where Gallas' left foot is while he's clearing the ball with his right-foot, it certainly appears that the ball must have crossed the line. Good call.

That is my feeling too. Gallas' left foot was basically on the goal line and he had to reach into the net to 'clear' the ball. ergo.....

Check it out...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005202076,00.html

I have been defending Mourinho pretty much since he took over at Porto (damn Benfica fans) and while I feel the goal should not have been allowed, Chelsea did not do what it needed to do to win.

As for the penalty/red card, shouldn't that be called regardless of whether or not the ball goes in?

quote:Originally posted by River City

Check it out...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005202076,00.html

I have been defending Mourinho pretty much since he took over at Porto (damn Benfica fans) and while I feel the goal should not have been allowed, Chelsea did not do what it needed to do to win.

As for the penalty/red card, shouldn't that be called regardless of whether or not the ball goes in?

Oh yeah....the page 3 girls aren't bad either...

Archived