Players who deserve a look

If you could organize a camp for the players who have yet to be with the CMNT or have not been chosen lately whom would you invite?

My choices:

Tam Nsaliwa - Saarbrucken (German Bundesliga 2) (2)

Maycoll Canizales - Hannover96 Amateurs (Oberliga Nord) (4)

Victor Oppong - Waldhof Mannheim (Oberliga Baden-Württemberg) (4)

Stathis Kappos - Aris Saloniki (Ethniki Katigoria) (1)

Daniel Fernandes - PAOK (Ethniki Katigoria) (1)

Rob Friend - Molde (Norwegian Tippeligaen) (1)

Rhian Dodds - Kilmarnock (Scottish Premier League) (1)

Stephen Ademolu - Trelleborg (Swedish Superettan) (2)

Tyler Hughes - Östers (Swedish Superettan) (2)

Kenny Stamatopoulos - Bodens BK (Swedish Superettan) (2)

Felix Brillant Jr. - New England Revolution (Major League Soccer) (1)

Andre Hainault - Montreal Impact (USL First Division)

Tony Menezes - Zhejiang Lvcheng (Chinese Jiajidui 2004) (2)

Sita-Taty Matondo - Montreal Impact (USL First Division) (2)

Waldemar Dutra - Edmonton AMSL?

In my view, Only Tam Nsaliwa stands out from that list as possibly meeting the criteria you mentioned.

Hainault would have bright future but he is a starter at the U20's so I see no rush to get him into the senior side with four years to go until the next critical games start. Daniel Fernandes, Brillant and Matondo are still young enough to be considered for the Olymoic teams.

As for the the rest, a mixed group comprising of players who are: well past their prime, not playing at a high enough level to catch my attention, have careers who have stalled (e.g.: cant see how one can be still on an amateur side at 23-25 yrs of age), are completely off the radar, and finally have nothing from their pedigree/ professional background that would suggest they have anything to offer that is better then what we currently have.

Bt of course, things can change.

Hainault is thoroughly unnatached. Taty is way too light, let's see what he does this season.

I agree that Nsaliwa is the only player who I really think should be there (although Brillant and Menezes could have a shot). This goes to prove to what extent the "B" games in Vancouver (a Yallop initiative) really helped the depth of NT player pool.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Rob Friend - Molde (Norwegian Tippeligaen) (1)

Deserves a look

Agreed. We are thin up front and will continue to be for the forseeable future. Despite battling injuries last year, he scored a few big goals for Molde (and many more for Moss in the 2nd div) that kept the club in the top flight.

He's played every minute for the club this season, but has yet to score (3 games, no big deal).

personally think that as Radzinski is not coming to the Gold Cup and Pesch is too old, that Friend may be a good option as the 4th striker after Hume, Occean, and DeRo especially as Occean will miss the first match or two I believe.

Really hope Nsaliwa is back in the fold as we really need someone to emerge in central defense and I think he could be the one.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Hainault would have bright future but he is a starter at the U20's so I see no rush to get him into the senior side with four years to go until the next critical games start. Daniel Fernandes, Brillant and Matondo are still young enough to be considered for the Olymoic teams.

Nope. All three of those players are too old for the next Olympic team, to play in 2008. The next Olympic Pool starts with players born in 1985 and younger - our current U20s.

I agree that, from Joe's original group, Nsaliwa and Friend are the two most deserving. vg.no ranked Friend in the top 35 players in the Norwegian top flight despite the fact Molde has yet to win and scored very few goals.

Personally, I would like to see Jason DeTullio get a look once he returns to full health and starts playing regularly again with the Impact.

Edit: Sorry, Fernandes is also deserving of a look, as much as Nsaliwa & Friend IMHO.

I think Nsaliwa has had enough time off the MNT program that it might be time for a return and a fresh start (oh my God. I sounded like Frankie there for a bit. Of course, I ment it though).

Been wanting to see Friend get a serious look for a little while now. Might be hard with him playing in a summer league for that to happen at the Gold Cup or what have you but the CSA should at least keep him, if not involved, informed.

Menezes is done. It's over.

MC2 had a rough match last time I remember seeing him play. Don't really have any idea at all if he deserves another look or not at this time but would be curious to see how things have come along for him.

Honestly. Nsaliwa, Friend and maybe Brilliant. Maybe Fernandes. Ask again after the WYC.

Based on Joe's list, I think the players who deserve a look sooner rather than latter are Nsaliwa, Fernandes and Friend. Right now, I'd actually rate Fernandes and Kenny S. ahead of Lars. I think Brillant has a chance if he starts to get some first team action.

As for players that might deserve a look using Joe MacCarthy's criteria.

1. Marc Bircham - Other than Jason DeVos, no other Canadian plays as consistently as Bircham does in England's second tier. Simpson and Serioux play sporadically, yet still garner call-ups.

2. Rocco Placentino - Cavese. Well, if we're going to include players from scandinavian 2nd tier leagues, why not Italy's 4th tier. Rocco's had a pretty good season, scoring 6 goals as a midfielder and getting a few MOM's.

I also think that at this summer's Gold Cup, we could fill the void left by the unavailability of players in summer leagues by using some of the U-20 players. In particular, De Jong, who's made 11 appearances in the Dutch second tier and Gyaki, who is the U-20's goal scoring machine.

Think McKenna should be up there as a forward. If Nsaliwa gets back into the equation that become possible. I work on the theory that goals rather than pretty moves, are a forward's primary responsibility, and McKenna fits this bill to a tee. I'd be looking at Big Kev ahead of Rob Friend at this point, although the latter certainly deserves a look too.

Definitely Nsaliwa at #1 , it would be nice for him and Frank to get on the same page,, and being a Kelowna native I would love for Friend to get a shot,, but I think he also has to prove that he can score against quality opposition... It's one thing to rack up goals in Norway 2nd division, or against some Concacaf country we've never heard of in Olympic qualifying,, but how will he do against good competition... He is still fairly young and has a lot of tools so the next year or two will be key for his development

Just so everyone is sure about what I meant, I meant a B team camp and tourny similar to the Vancouver tournament where someone can emerge and maybe have some higher level club scouts and Frankie see him. (ie Simpson, Serioux)

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't made that clear in the original post. Who would you invite to that camp? Who is possibly ready for the main CMNT? That's why I didn't put any U20s.

McKenna carries the baggage of being a Holger favorite and really hasn't had his best year this last campain with injuries and what not. Where and how he'd have been used by Frankie during WCQ is anyone's guess.

Still, I found it surprising how much slag he was getting, especially after Occean starting playing. If Occean has 1/10th of a step on Big Kev I'll eat my hat, and the man is actually pretty good with his feet. His speed isn't that bad it's just he needs four or five steps to get up to full steam. Murder for a defender sure, but not so vital as a give-and-go target forward.

And besides, I don't recall Occean ever netting anything against Celtic, or Rangers, or Germany or for that matter Portugal. All feathers in Kevin McKenna's hat.

Hope he lands on his feet. In Germany, England or otherwise. And as a forward. Think he enjoys the position that much more.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Just so everyone is sure about what I meant, I meant a B team camp and tourny similar to the Vancouver tournament where someone can emerge and maybe have some higher level club scouts and Frankie see him. (ie Simpson, Serioux)

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't made that clear in the original post. Who would you invite to that camp? Who is possibly ready for the main CMNT? That's why I didn't put any U20s.

In that case, Ali Gerba. He should have been at the camp last year.

Guest Dave

Well said. In my opinion, after Radz and Pesch retire, our second forward slot is a tossup between McKenna, Occean, and Hume. (I think DD should be an automatic starter). Against Central American opposition I would give Kevin the nod as a starter alongside DeRo. IMHO had he been healthy for WCQ (and assuming Frank had the good sense to use him up front) we would be in the hex now. Admitedly, McKenna scares me as a defender, but as a forward he is dynamite.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

McKenna carries the baggage of being a Holger favorite and really hasn't had his best year this last campain with injuries and what not. Where and how he'd have been used by Frankie during WCQ is anyone's guess.

Still, I found it surprising how much slag he was getting, especially after Occean starting playing. If Occean has 1/10th of a step on Big Kev I'll eat my hat, and the man is actually pretty good with his feet. His speed isn't that bad it's just he needs four or five steps to get up to full steam. Murder for a defender sure, but not so vital as a give-and-go target forward.

And besides, I don't recall Occean ever netting anything against Celtic, or Rangers, or Germany or for that matter Portugal. All feathers in Kevin McKenna's hat.

Hope he lands on his feet. In Germany, England or otherwise. And as a forward. Think he enjoys the position that much more.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

You guys are getting off track. McKenna already has seen action with the CMNT and is a regular.

Archived