All - time Canadian Lineup

Canuck Oranje

All-time Canadian Stars

The challenge was made of someone (not me) in another thread to come up with an all-time Canadian lineup. The task seemed interesting so I sat down today put my team together for what its worth. It took far too much time today to not post it.

This is an attempt to objectively identify who should be considered part of Canada’s all-time selection. For the purposes of selecting a team, the first step taken was to rank players (who have at least played for Canada) into a pool and then select a starting eleven and five subs.

The ranking is a bit subjective as one has to compare across different eras and levels of play in different countries. In the ranking below, the highest level of club play achieved is provided along with the team where it was achieved. The number of Caps with Canada is also provided for retired players but not for active ones.

THE PLAYER POOL

Goalkeepers

1. Craig Forrest (56 Caps)– Ipswich Town (First Level - England)

This was a tough decision between Kennaway and Forrest but I saw Forrest play and still believe the top level in England is better than Scotland. On top of that, it is hard to rank someone you haven’t seen play. In any case, Forrest is the best Canadian goalkeeper of all-time.

2. Joe Kennaway (1 Cap) – Glasgow Celtic (Scottish League)

I will admit being unfair to Kennaway because he was the starting goalkeeper for a number of years with Celtic in the 1930s, winning two Scottish League titles and three cup titles.

3. Tino Lettieri (24 Caps) – Minnesota Kicks (NASL)

Lettieri was the best Canadian goalkeeper of the NASL era, but he had help from his sidekick, Ozzie (a stuffed parrot that stayed in the net while he played). He took over for Chursky at the end of the 70s. Lettieri started two of Canada’s World Cup games in 1986.

4. Tony Chursky (19 Caps) – Seattle Sounders (NASL)

Chursky was Canada’s goalkeeper for most of the 1970s. He would have had more Caps if Canada had played more (goes for Lettieri as well). An example of Chursky’s quality, he shutout Mexico twice (home and away) in World Cup qualifying (for 1978) in 1976. Mind you, he had a defence that included Iarusci, R. Lenarduzzi and Wilson in their younger days.

5. Paul Dolan (52 Caps) - Vancouver 86’ers (CSL)

Dolan’s biggest game was one of his first for Canada. He was the starting goalkeeper against France (the reigning Euro Champion led by Platini) in 1986. The final score was 1-0.

6. Pat Onstad – San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

Onstad ranks here based on his longevity. At his best, Onstad is steady but not outstanding.

Defenders

1. Paul Stalteri - Werder Bremen (First Level – Germany)

Rated as a defender because that is where he plays with his club. Stalteri was a starting defender in the Bremen team that won the German Championship. He can also take some credit in keeping Brazil’s Gustavo Nery (Brazil's B-Team fullback) out of the Bremen lineup this year and his subsequent return back to Brazil. Stalteri arguably plays and starts at the highest level ever attained by a Canadian defender.

2. Bruce Wilson (57 Caps) – Toronto Blizzard (NASL)

While Wilson (at 35) was a starter on the 1986 World Cup team, his best years were already past. Wilson was very steady and a regular starter for a number years in the NASL.

3. Bob Lenarduzzi (47 Caps) – Vancouver Whitecaps (NASL)

Lenarduzzi (at 31) was also nearing the end of his career when he played in the 1986 World Cup for Canada. Lenarduzzi was a regular on the Canadian side throughout the late 70s and early 80s. He was also one of the top North American players in the NASL.

4. Ian Bridge (33 Caps) – Vancouver Whitecaps (NASL)

Bridge started his career in the NASL and then moved to play in Switzerland. He was a regular in the Canadian lineup throughout the 1980s. He deserved many more Caps than he actually received (club conflicts if I remember correctly).

5. Bob Iarusci (26 Caps) – NY Cosmos (NASL)

From 1981 through 1983, Iarusci was the sweeper in an automatic back-four selection for Canada that included Wilson, B. Lenarduzzi, and Bridge. Iarusci was an automatic starter for Canada from about 1976 – 1983 and was also a regular in the starting lineup for the Star studded NY Cosmos. He would also have had many more Caps if more games had been played.

6. Tony Menezes (27 Caps) – Botafogo (First Level – Brazil)

Menezes actually captained the Botafogo side for some time. I would rank him even higher but Botafogo was a weak side in Brazil’s top level. Iarusci played with Brazilians that Menezes could only dream of playing with.

7. Jason de Vos – Ipswich Town (Second Level – England)

de Vos was the rock in the back of the Canadian lineup for many years in the 1990s and up to last year.

8. Frank Yallop (52 Caps) – Ipswich Town (First Level - England)

Yallop was a regular for Canada for many years. Finally reached England’s top level in England with Ipswich Town along with Craig Forrest.

9. Randy Samuel (82 Caps) – Fortuna Sittard (First Level - Holland)

Samuel, Yallop and de Vos are very close in my opinion. I would have no argument interchanging them in this ranking. He did play with PSV Eindhoven for a time but did not get much playing time. For this reason, I think I would say his peak years in the Dutch League probably were with Fortuna Sittard.

10. Mark Watson – Watford (Second Level - England)

I have to admit that I am not a Watson fan. Still, he did start and play regularly for Watford for a number of years. Steady but not outstanding for Canada for a time.

Midfielders

1. Julian de Guzman – Hannover 96 (First Level - Germany)

The best midfielder that Canada has produced that plays for Canada and his best is likely still yet to come. This might be a controversially high ranking but no other midfielder that has played for Canada has played and started at this club level.

2. Gerry Gray (33 Caps) – Chicago Sting (NASL)

Gray was the best Canadian midfielder of the NASL era. His career was hurt by the collapse of the NASL. Also was the best regular midfielder on the 1986 World Cup team.

3. Jim Brennan – Norwich (First Level – England)

Brennan has played but not frequently in the English Premier League this year. That is one of the best leagues in the world and better now than it was ten years ago. Strangely, Brennan was a regular for Canada for a number of years and then left out for World Cup qualifying last year.

4. Lyndon Hooper (66 Caps) – CSL

Hooper was a very steady regular in a persistently weak Canadian midfield. It is hard to rank Hooper, but he deserves to be ranked well for his ongoing quality.

5. Mike Sweeney (61 Caps) – Edmonton Drillers (NASL)

A good NASL midfielder. Another player that was hurt by a lack of a league in 1980s.

6. Fernando Aguiar – Benfica (First Level - Portugal)

Aguiar is difficult to rank but he did play regularly with one of the top teams in Portugal and that means something.

7. Nic Dasovic (62 Caps) – St. Johnstone (First Level - Scotland)

Dasovic could be ranked as a midfielder or a defender. I chose to rank him as a midfielder because he would not rank above the top defenders listed. He was a steady player in Scotland for a number of years.

8. Colin Miller (61 Caps) – Hamilton Academicals (First Level - Scotland)

Like Dasovic, Miller was a regular in Scotland. Played for a time with Glasgow Rangers but had a hard time getting on the field. He later became a regular in Scotland with Hamilton.

9. Paul James (46 Caps) – Toronto Blizzard (NASL)

Another who was hurt by the end of the NASL.

10. Randy Ragan (40 Caps) – Toronto Blizzard (NASL)

Forwards

1. Tomasz Radzinski – Everton (First Level – England)

In my opinion, the Canadian striker who achieved the highest level of any. Radzinski was a big success with Anderlecht and then moved on to Everton. While having had some injury problems at Everton, that time would be his best level. He has kind of fallen back a bit at Fulham, but still a very useful asset in the English Premier League.

2. Alex Bunbury (65 Caps) – Maritimo (First Level – Portugal)

Bunbury reached his peak with Maritimo and was a top striker in Portugal. But Portugal is not the EPL.

3. Dale Mitchell (55 Caps) – Montreal Manic (NASL)

Mitchell was a top Canadian in the NASL. He was a top goal scorer in a league that had many stars albeit some nearing the end of their careers. Played in the CSL but late in his playing career.

4. Carl Valentine (31 Caps) – West Bromwich Albion (First Level - England)

Valentine and Mitchell are very close in my opinion. Valentine went to WBA after his days with the NASL Whitecaps. He was a solid forward but the EPL is better today than top English level in the 1980s. Also played in the CSL at the end of his career.

5. Branko Segota (19 Caps) – Rochester Lancers (NASL)

Segota was a natural goal scorer that again was part of the generation that was hurt by the fall of the NASL.

6. Paul Peschisolido – Fulham (Second Level – England)

Peschisolido was a young Canadian striker that, in my opinion, never reached his full potential. Probably mostly because of injury and his own temperament. In any case, I always expect more from him.

7. John Catliff (43 Caps) – Vancouver 86ers (CSL)

Catliff was a force for Canada but didn’t do much outside of that.

CANADA’S ALL-TIME TEAM

This is only one person’s opinion but here goes.

First of all, after having looked at a lot of info and searching my own memories of these players (Kennaway excepted), Canada really has been weak in the midfield in the past. At the same time, we have had a solid defense and goalkeeper for many years and I would agree with those who would say that we are weak in this area now although we do have had two of the best in de Vos and Stalteri still playing.

Second, we have three of the best Canadians ever playing today. Only the supporting cast is probably not as solid as at other times. And the GK position is probably its weakest in 30 years.

In comparison, the strength of the 86 World Cup team was in its defence but its midfield was weak. The 1986 forwards were ok but great.

In forming the all-time best starting eleven, I covered the apparent weakness in the midfield by pushing Stalteri forward and bringing Mitchell back. The starting eleven, from my perspective, are as follows:

GK – Craig Forrest

DF – Bruce Wilson

DF – Ian Bridge

DF – Bob Iarusci

DF – Bobby Lenarduzzi

MF – Paul Salteri

MF – Julian de Guzman

MF – Dale Mitchell

MF – Gerry Gray

FWD – Tomasz Radzinski

FWD – Alex Bunbury

Subs

GK – Joe Kennaway

DF – Tony Menezes

DF – Jason de Vos

MF – Jim Brennan

FWD – Carl Valentine

P.S. There are others but these are some players that I feel have an excellent opportunity to crack this lineup over the next few years:

DF – Mike Klukowski – key to retooling our defence.

DF – Tam Nasliwa – Yallop has to get this guy in our lineup soon or he may have to explain why he is ignoring a starting Bundisliga central defender when it is currently our weak spot.

DF – David Edgar – Already in the Newcastle reserves already at 17. Don’t hear as much about him as Peters but he is almost exactly the same age and has achieved as much at club level and with a bigger club.

DF – Josh Simpson – He is learning a new position. I think he will end up being at left back long term at the club level but I could be wrong.

MF – Atiba Hutchinson – Playing at the back at the moment for Canada but will likely end up being a defensive midfielder at club level. He needs to move up a level next year.

MF – Jaime Peters – Has had an early start and a lot of big clubs like him and I’ll take their word for it. He could be in the Premiership next year already.

FWD – Ian Hume – He will have to crack a premiership lineup in the next few years. He is still a couple steps away.

I have many problems with this ranking, but I won't bother posting them all individually. I think you're too focused on standards and not on context. Radzinski our best-ever forward? When he's not dominant in CONCACAF, he can't compare. And I don't like ranking when saying "players are better now than they were before".

Again, players like Menezes on the list? Think you might have to revise it.

Hi,

I fully endorse the inclusion of Tony Menezes. Not to criticize, but I really feel that a lot of people on this board don't understand what Tony brought to the team. He was the most skillful of our defenders on the ball. He showed the most composure and was not given to hoofing the ball out of our end. I think our team has suffered without him.

A funny thing: Radzinski is lauded because he plays in the Premiership, yet is unsuccessful for Canada. I don't have anything personal against him, but he didn't really tear it up in qualifying. Tony is dumped (and dumped on) because he plays in China, but he was successful for Canada (IMO). Tony deserves to play in a better league, but some players just have trouble catching on with clubs. Who knows what is reasons are/were for playing in China. Maybe it pays the bills after losing money with Botafogo.

At this point I would gladly trade the services of Radzinski for those of Tony. Who knows, maybe players playing high-level soccer in Europe and CONCACAF don't mix.

Paul

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I have many problems with this ranking, but I won't bother posting them all individually. I think you're too focused on standards and not on context. Radzinski our best-ever forward? When he's not dominant in CONCACAF, he can't compare. And I don't like ranking when saying "players are better now than they were before".

Again, players like Menezes on the list? Think you might have to revise it.

This is a list based on the level of play each player has acheived, primarily at club level at one point in time. The reason for this is to try to get an objective view of the talent a player had. Some like Hooper are difficult judge. Using only what a player did for Canada changes the list and I think in an unjust way because then players like Lettieri, Chursky, Iarusci, and Kennaway drop down and primarily because of the circumstances under which they played.

Yes, I have no doubt others have other ideas. But this my list. And maybe with some more thought, I might change the order of some.

Re: Menezes, he and de Vos anchored the defence for a number of games in late 90s and early 2000s. This is not saying anything about whether he should be playing for Canada today. I am thinking Menezes vintage 1999-2000, not the Menezes of today.

As for ranking current players highly, I think if you look closely, there are only 5 current players on the list (six if you count Onstad). Only three are considered at the top and I think they are justified. At the same time, if you look at the ranking 2-3, there are many from earlier generations.

I will also say that once you get past the top 4-6 in each category, it becomes a bit difficult and there are no doubts that everyone has their opinions.

Again, the conclusions I came to in developing this list are:

1. We do have some very talented players but nowhere near enough. We also have some excellent young players coming forward.

2. Our biggest problem right now is goalkeeping.

3. Our midfield has been historically weak. That is the only reason Brennan ranks so highly. If I pushed Mitchell and Valentine into midfield, Brennan would move back.

As I said in the beginning, this is only my opinion. I base my opinion on my memories having watched Canadian soccer for more than 30 years and also based on the research that I did casually yesterday. Again, the intent was to create an all-time team rather than rank individual players at different positions

I am sure many others have their opinions too and I invite their lists. The one above is my team and see no reason to change it yet.

Very well researched stuff. I have to agree that performance at club level versus performance at national team level is a major hurldle to overcome when trying to come with an all time list. An even bigger problem is the fact that we don't get to see these players every week. With WCQ every four years, GC on alternate years and the fact that many games are not televised, you are stuck trying to come up with an evalution based on an average of two games per year. That is just not enough to work with. Especially in a sport like soccer that is not as statistically oriented as, say, baseball.

There examples of players ( including from the most recent WCQ campaign)who have looked extraordinary in the one or two games that I saw them playing for their club (on TV) but, who didn't stand out to the same extent last summer for Canada.

You have further problem even with players whose strenghts can be measured by statistics such as keepers and forwards. Take Pesch versus Radzinski for example. Pesch ( who has something like 10 goals and 50 caps) has far more goals and caps than Rad. But Rad has scored against Switzerland while most of Pesch's goals have come against Concacaf minnows. Neither of the two has been productive ( goalwise) in important WCQ matches. But Rad has played for clubs like Anderlecht and Everton and has scored in CL and was even amongst the very top marksmen in the EPL for a while. Then what do you do about Corrazin, who in their right mind would consider him amongst the best? But who amongst Pesch, Rad and Corrazin scored more important goals for Canada?

The pick for top keepers doesn't get any easier. Lettieri, Sutton and even Onstad have accomplish far more than players like Forrest in terms of individual achievements. But Forrest played at the highest level. But not often as a starter. Forrest won us a gold Cup and was GC MVP but Onstad won an MLS title and Lettieri helped Canada qualify for the WC and was a highly accomplished NASL keeper. Has anyone posted the kind of numbers that Sutton has in the past two years? but who in their right mind would put Sutton as the first team canadian all-time keeper.

Perhaps this discussion puts some light on a unique and not often discussed problem that we have in Canada. That is, that effect of travel and displacement has on performance. Top euro players tend to lose something when they have to come accross the atlantic to don the Canadian uniform. I see a trend whereby its the less skilled/heralded players who score the big goals in big games for Canada ( eg.: Pakos, Corrazin, Hastings, Watson). Why is that?

Great Thread!

----------Forrest--------

----Samuel----Wilson---DeVos

Yallop------Hooper------Lenarduzzi

------Valentine-----Mitchell--

------Bunbury-----Catliff--

Based on the guys I remember actually seeing play.

This side might actually score a couple!

Well, here are my picks.

Forrest

Devos

Irausci (Sweeper)

Wilson

Lenarduzzi

Stalteri

de Guzman

Mitchell

Valentine

Segota

Radzinski (at EPL standard with Everton)

I would have Yallop as coach since he would have the fullbacks play the ball out of the back more rather than lumping the long balls which was the style of coach Tony Waiters when Wilson and Lenarduzzi played.

This team also assumes that the players are at the top of their game. Soccer in 2005 is a more demanding game than in the 80's.

Cheers!

People keep forgetting that Radzinski was a standout at Anderlect and Ekeren

and have played UEFA/Champions league matches before. As well he scored for Canada

vs. Brazil in the GC1997. He has credibility through accomplishments and recognition,

not just the level of the league he plays at.

As for Corrazin, well, he is at the latter stages of his career, but let's not forget he

was the Top Scorer in the GC 2000.

Everyone is correct and entitled to their opinions. Using my standard of players AT THEIR PRIME,

well, here's my ranking/list:

GK : Forrest, Dolan, Lettieri, Onstad

DF: Stalteri, De Vos, Samuel, Yallop, Menezes

MF: De Guzman, Mitchell, Valentine, Regan, Gray, Nocita

F: Radzinski, Bunbury, Segota, Big John Catliff

This thread is just screaming to be the next Voyageurs project.

- Get a committmee together to make the nominations

- Prepare on on-line ballot with names & brief bio (like Canuck Oranje's original post)

- Get all of Canada's Soccer Fans to vote - and maybe learn a bit about our Soccer history!

- Have a ceremony to name the team (before a National team game?!?)

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

I would have Yallop as coach since he would have the fullbacks play the ball out of the back more rather than lumping the long balls which was the style of coach Tony Waiters when Wilson and Lenarduzzi played.

This team also assumes that the players are at the top of their game. Soccer in 2005 is a more demanding game than in the 80's.

Cheers!

At the risk of being asked to board a slow boat to China, I find it a little early to nominate FY as our top coach. Based on what? Not performance to date surely? And in terms of style, we certainly were not playing the ball out of the back in our WCQ games. There were quite a few CFL 3rd down moments from our centre backs if I recall correctly. I hope that the style changes but really it has a bit to go before I start throwing out praise. The "alltime" coach would have to be Waiters for our one and only WC appearance with an HM to Osieck for the confederation championship. My starting eleven, based on a few years of watching our men's team

GK - Forrest

D - Yallop, Samuel, Wilson, DeVos

M - Stalteri, James, Grey, de Guzman

F - Bunbury, Radzinski

Honourable mentions to Lenarduzzi, Valentine and Mitchell.

quote:Then what do you do about Corrazin, who in their right mind would consider him amongst the best? But who amongst Pesch, Rad and Corrazin scored more important goals for Canada?

The pick for top keepers doesn't get any easier. Lettieri, Sutton and even Onstad have accomplish far more than players like Forrest in terms of individual achievements. But Forrest played at the highest level. But not often as a starter.

Great thread, it's been done but this one seems to have a little more historical referencing.

Have to disagree with a few points here. Carlo Corrazin IIRC scored over 100 goals in the English leagues at a time when all our players pretty much played around that level. (DeVos - Darlington, Brennan - Bristol City) He lit it up at the Gold Cup.

None of the above goalies comes anywhere near Craig Forrest. You only seem to reference his years on the bench at West Ham and not his long career starting at Ipswich and of course the Gold Cup.

It bothers me to see players like Corrazin, Watson and Fenwick being disparaged. They had pretty good club careers. Don't forget that Watson was always rock solid and even in the later years when he was the whipping boy, unbiased opinions posted he wasn't as bad as they thought he would be.

There is a post about Lenarduzzi. He was useless, Huh? Maybe as a TV analyst - good player.

How bout Buzz Parsons and Wes McLeod? I don't know too much about positioning and the like but Branko Segota at his best was special and I don't think we ever often saw him utilized properly. Dale Mitchell was great also.

I also tend to think we form opinions by seeing a single TV performance. Nsaliwa on Beazley, Lars the Human Pinball, Winston Marshall playing brutally against Spain. Are Nsaliwa and Lars that good? Marshall that bad? He is now at the FC Dallas camp, after the Spain performance I thought he would never be seen again. It was, after all, only one game.

Oh, and thanks to Canuck Oranje for providing some of the club teams for the WC86 guys. I was looking for a list of players and club teams to compare then as to now but didn't get any info. Too many young bucks here. :)

I agree with another post. Where's Mobilio? He'd be on any Canadian side. Mobilio would be on a Canadian squad for the same reason, you might have Catliff there. He was a player that we never really got to see live upto his potenetial. No league and no nat program with any direction after Waiters. A 17 year old Mobilio, today, would be in europe. You have too many players on that list based on the clubs they played on and not how they played for Canada.

Strange that anyone would say that Lenarduzzi shouldn't be there? In some ways I'd rate him higher than Wilson, for his time. Bridge was a great pick and of course Randy Samuel. I agree with the Watson pick and at his best he was every bit as good as anyone he shared the line with back there. I wouldn't have picked Menezes. He had a nice run but Canada has had a lot of fantastic fullbacks over the years.

Colin Miller? Wow. I guess that means I can throw a vote in for Aunger too, then? Colin Miller. Wow. And in the midfield no less. Scary stuff. Mybe there was another Colin Miller that played for Canada before I was born or something.

The orders that you have players is really wonky too. Some of them are agruable but others are just plain wrong.

I'm impressed with the time it must of taken you to compile the list. Full credit for a fun post.

Here is my Line-up

GK

Craig Forrest: Great leadership ability, claim to fame is the Gold Cup win

D'S

Bruce Wilson: The best Canadian Defender all time in my Book

Ian Bridge: Great with headers in the box on Set pieces, and not a shabby defender.

Randy Samuels: Solid Defender all though he did slow down at the end of his career.

Jason Devos: traveled the world and the seaven seas to play for Canada. Once again great Leader.

MIDS

Mike Sweeney: Great little winger and a bull dog

Lyndon Hooper: Played well both ways grat Goal against Australia in WCQ.

Carl Valentine: Fancy little Devil enjoyed watching him play

Dale Mitchell: Arguabely Canadas best ever player

FORWARDS

Alex Bunbury: Great at holding the Ball, good goal Scorer.

Domenic Mobilio: Sweet left foot, great player....great guy.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Oh, and thanks to Canuck Oranje for providing some of the club teams for the WC86 guys. I was looking for a list of players and club teams to compare then as to now but didn't get any info. Too many young bucks here. :)

Where did you post this before? I didn't see it, I think I have a list of where most of the 86 players played. I certainly have all of their NASL teams and pre-cup Euro exploits.

Anyway yeah this is a fun debate. I never know what to put. There's so many tough decisions up front and apples and oranges decisions in the back. I never really saw Iarusci so I don't know where to place him.

re: Kennaway, the top level in England in the 30s was better than Scotland, but from my understanding that left Scotland as the second-best league in the world in most people's eyes. Many people regard those Celtic teams of the 30s as one of the world's best. That being said, Forrest is a more 'Canadian' keeper in that he has more caps, led us to a cup, etc.

Oh and Lyndon Hooper was my boyhood idol. But fourth?! Are you mad? And Collin Miller was a great player in the early 90s. Our best midfielder IMO, he just hung on too long and had a poor 98 qualifying run, but in his prime nearly merits a starting spot I think.

Maybe I over-value Samuel, but I'd rate his third or fourth, not ninth. Oh and I'm picking Stalteri for the midfield where he has (thusfar) played most of his national team games.

Anyway I'll go with: Forrest; Lenarduzzi, Samuel, DeVos, Wilson; Stalteri, Gray, DeGuzman, Brennan; Bunbury and Mitchell.

Man those forwards are tough. I should go 4-3-3 or make like The Duze and drop Radzinski into the midfield for Brennan.

Anyway it's a fun argument.

cheers,

matthew

Some further random thoughts

Yes it is a very tough process. The hardest part is deciding the player and for what vintage year you consider them. And yes there is no right answer. Just opinions.

On goalkeepers, there was no reason for six listed GKs originally except wanting a recent keeper on the list. When you read about the keepers we had, we took a huge step down after Forrest retired. This was one of our strong points in the 70s and 80s.

On defenders, the first five were easy in my opinion although I admit I had some indecision about whether to rate Stalteri as a defender or as a midfielder. I chose defender to be consistent with my approach of defaulting to their club position. Then when you consider that he actually contributed to keeping Gustavo Nery (Brazil's starting fullback at the 2004 Copa America)out of the lineup in Bremen, it was clear to me that he should be number one. The next four could be interchanged but I think they deserve to be where they are. As for Menezes, the vintage year becomes critical. I will say however that I don't think there is much of a gap between Samuel, de Vos, Frank Yallop and Menezes. I chose Menezes first of that group because of his skill level.

For midfielders, it is Canada's chronic weakness and I struggled after Aguiar. I could easily have considered Dasovic and Miller as defenders but then they would not have appeared if I didn't lengthen the defender list. And I would have then had to pull back Mitchell and Valentine into the midfield to push up the midfield numbers and I see both of them as forwards first.

On Forwards, where Mobilio? Well, it was a toss up between Piesch, Catliff and Mobilio. On a different day, I may have chosen Mobilio rather than Catliff. Mobilio is another player that is very difficult to rank because of his lack of quality club play. I didn't see him displacing any of the other forwards.

On the subject of who should be the Coach, I would put my vote behind Tony Waiters.

Again, just an opinion.

the misl is what stunted development of soccer in canada.if there was no misl, players such as branko segota,gerry gray,domenic mobilio,dale mitchell.would have had no other choice but to go to europe and further their careers,and development.

It's that creative midfielder that has always been missing from the Canadian team. Hooper, Aguiar, Dasovic, Miller...all combative ball winners, who is the guy to link defence with attack?

That great Hargreaves, that's who! Greating traitor!

Could have been Canada's best ever, instead he's mincing around Munich with a bad accent. "Well, me dad's English ya know."

Great!:(

Archived