Domenic Mobilio 1969-2004

Grecko

Dominic Mobilio has passed away. Early reports state that he suffered a massive heart attack while coming home from playing a game in the VMSL. His car hit a retaining wall and he was pronounced dead after the crews worked on him for quite a time.

This is truly a sad loss. He was a great guy. He was a great player and he was becoming a great coach. He was 36 years old. Tragic.

Condolences to the family.

quote:Originally posted by Grecko

Dominic Mobilio has passed away. Early reports state that he suffered a massive heart attack while coming home from playing a game in the VMSL. His car hit a retaining wall and he was pronounced dead after the crews worked on him for quite a time.

This is truly a sad loss. He was a great guy. He was a great player and he was becoming a great coach. He was 36 years old. Tragic.

Condolences to the family.

Oh man, such sad news.

My condolences to all that knew him.

I can still hear Vic Rauter now... "Mobilioooooooooooo".

Guest HamiltonSteelers

This is a sad day for Canadian soccer. Mr. Mobilio had an incredible goal-scoring instinct in the CSL, as he and the rest of the 86ers destroyed my team as an annual event.

quote:I can still hear Vic Rauter now... "Mobilioooooooooooo".

I can too. Rest in peace.

Hey guys, I'm thinking that we should perhaps send a card or some small token of condolence to the Mobilio family on behalf of the Voyageurs.

I'll do it, unless someone else thinks they would be a better candidate (ie. they knew the man personally, his family, etc.).

Shocking indeed. Mobilio was the first Canadian player I knew (because of Vic Rauter), back when I wasn't following Canadian soccer.

Peace to Domenic and condolences to his family and friends.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Hey guys, I'm thinking that we should perhaps send a card or some small token of condolence to the Mobilio family on behalf of the Voyageurs.

Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

When I saw Domo's name at a subject, I wouldn't have guessed that he had passed away.

You're right, so I thought it would be a good idea to change the title.

This is just too shocking!!! I had to read the title a few times before it even started to sink in...

He was a great footballer for Canada. His goal and Vic Rauter calling his name against Australia will forever be one of the best moments in Canadian soccer history.

May his soul rest in peace. And condolensces to his family.

My deepest condolences my Candian friends. Many of you probably don't know how well Dominic was loved in my hometown of Baltimore.

As soon as I saw the thread my heart sank. Dominic was one of my boyhood heroes. During the 80's he played for my hometown indoor MISL team the Baltimore Blast. I was a middle schooler and high schooler when he played here. My friends and I pretended that we were him when we played soccer. Indoor or outs. We adored him. We didn't have an outdoor team for many of those years. The NASL had folded. There was no Washington Diplomats. Because Baltimore is a blue collar town and so insular, many Baltimoreans could never related to the Dips, let alone DC. But we loved indoor soccer. We loved Dominic. He was so admired here. During the mid 80's, he might as well been a Baltimore Oriole. That's how much we loved our indoor team and Dominic. The Blast sold out every homegame for several seasons. 10.5K every weekend game. It was an event! And Dominic Mobilio was one of our beloved.

When Dom went on to other things, it was very hard for me to follow him. When I "rediscovered" him playing for Canada several years later, I was very happy. When I was visiting TO a few years back, I rediscovered him in the A-League. I was happy to see him coaching.

I had hoped to meet Dom when he came to Richmond with his A-league club a couple years back, but was unable to make the trip of 120 miles because of a family emergency. I wanted to tell Dom that the folks in my often too insular, working class town loved him. That we remembered him fondly. That he might as well have been playing along side of Cal Ripkien and Eddie Murray on the O's. I wanted to tell him how much we loved him. He played hard. He was friendly to us. That goes very far in my town.

Unfortunately, I will never have the chance now...

RIP Dominic MOBEEELEOOOH (that's how we used to pronounce his name because of our regional accent)

Archived