Canada-Costa Rica Official Game Thread

Polish_LYNX_Fan

quote:Originally posted by Canadienfan

The only real mistake on the goal was that Atiba got out muscled for the ball IMO.

Yes but Watson was having a cup of tea to the left of Hutch.

Next time he should put the tea down at least cut the angle or challenge the ball carrier and then go back for tea when the play if over. ;)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

You can say Onstad was out of position, but would you have honestly expected Wanchope to shoot, 100% guaranteed?

No.

sorry but last time I checked, that's what strikers are paid to do. Onstad is the goalkeeper and he should cover his angles he left the right side of the net open, and he got burned for it.

It all went terribly tonight.I can't believe what I saw.Canada never looked comfortable on that field.No ball control.Absolutely no support whatsoever given to the player in possesion.Costa Rica is a bad team and we made them look good.Yallop needed to make subs and when he finnally did,it was too late.

My God.Was that my team out there?

quote:Originally posted by massimo

sorry but last time I checked, that's what strikers are paid to do. Onstad is the goalkeeper and he should cover his angles he left the right side of the net open, and he got burned for it.

Fighting for the ball that's up in the air? You'd have to expect headers, ball control first, etc. Instant shots, yes, but rarely.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Fighting for the ball that's up in the air? You'd have to expect headers, ball control first, etc. Instant shots, yes, but rarely.

So no one ever does any one timers??? Come one man.

Onstad and company could have done better, it's the first minute of the second half and Canada was flat.

Another giant step backward for the CSA and the MNT since those heady days of the Gold Cup 2000. 20 years and counting.

PS Have a look on sportsnet.ca post-match report. The caption under the photo refers to "Canadian player Julian Raguzman."

I mean, that's just f*cking pitiful. Absolutely f*cking hopeless. And people wonder why our footballers get no respect in this country. F*cking imbeciles.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Well, I survived the game. Just a quick report.... I will have a full reaction about the game posted on Saturday.

Canada played so well in the first half. A perfect road half. All we needed was that one goal and we really should have had it. The second half was not so great. Costa Rica was all over us for the most part. It was frustrating to watch Canada try to play it to their one striker and not have any chance (at least in the second half).

As for Saprissa. The stadium was not full, but the fans were really into it. I arrived three-hours before the game. Let me tell you... Saprissa is in a rough area of San Jose. I walked around the stadium and noticed all of the police officers. None of the fans gave me a hard time because I was by myself. I was beside the riot police as the Canadian team walked into the stadium. The fans were yelling at them, but other then that no problems. I was holding up my flag and yelling some of the players names. They looked more shocked to see a Canadian then anything.

Our 'section' had about 5 Canadian's. Three were from the embassy and one was Tomasz Radzinksi's girlfriend... she is Belgian. Talked to her throughout the game, and I must say that she is a nice person. The other people in our box were the friends of hers from Costa Rica (who were cheering for Costa Rica).

Tough to see us go out of the World Cup so early on. The team played great tonight and with a little luck in the first half we would have scored a goal.

Much longer report to come on Saturday... for those who are interested.

Thanks for the report Sigma! Glad to know you survived. :) Enjoy the rest of your stay, and I'll be looking forward to your detailed report (not so much on the game, but on the whole experience) and photos.

Sad to say it again but I am a glutton for punishment!

Hutch was aweful, just aweful. De guzman was pure shaight. My biggest qualm is with Yallop for watching CR sub in Wanchope (a commanding, agressive move by a coach understanding the importance of a WIN), watching him score in 9 seconds, and then watching the game for another long stretch before considering a move, and then taking off HUME who is our gutsiest guy out there. I don't care if he has one leg (like DD had tonight, by the way)if he is playing his heart out then let him play til he falls over. Simposn's and Peters' subs were way too late. This was a desperate game- we had to play like it and be coached like it ands that just wasn't the case tonight.

Couple points that haven't been made yet:

I thought DeRosario really came into his own tonight. Particularly in the first half, he was taking players on at will. Playing a lone striker (at least it looked that way) meant that he played most of the time in a mess of red shirts but he still created some quality chances for himself and Radz (ie the ball he pulled back from the bi-line).

We were missing 3 of our starting back four tonight: de Vos, Stally and McKenna. Plus Menezes is out. For a backline held together by Watson and Gervais, I think we did reasonably well, particularly in the first half. By the second it was always going to be difficult. The early goal really changed things and I think it might have been a different game with Costa Rica forced to go forward and DeRo, Radz and Hume (Occean) left with more space to play in.

I was shocked to see Gervais and Grande both starting but I'm not sure Yallop had much of a choice, especially with Gervais. I think this was the perfect game for Occean, even if that meant playing Radz behind him.

Where we've developed in the last 5 years is 1v1 playing out of tight space. With only little Radz up front, as quality as he is, and a back four that was never really going to venture forward, we were forced to overplay in midfield and this led giving the ball away so much. Though I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of Costa Rica going forward, I thought they were excellent tonight at getting around the ball taking good space away, both in midfield and up front. With noone up frong really able to hold the ball up, we couldn't stretch them and this allowed them to keep things tidy.

Personally, I think it was a decent performance tonight and had he had 3 or 4 points going in, I think we'd all be a lot more positive. That being said, that tank job we pulled v the Guats left us open to this scenario. We've made our bed, now we're sleeping in it.

Nonetheless, I think THE four most important players in our side (deVos, Stalteri, Radz and McKenna) collectively played a total of four games. When we're relying on 3-4 U-20 players to give us crucial minutes, we're asking alot.

I still think the future is bright. More later.

Jesus you guys are biased. Onstad played great tonight. Hutchinson gets muscled off a ball in the air by one of the best strikers ever to come out of the region, eight seconds into the half and he one-times a volley off the post and it's Onstad's fault because he was two steps too far towards the near post. Name me a Canadian keeper who would have stopped that shot? Craig Forrest might have. Anyone else I say no way. And of course Watson gets abuse for not getting over there instaneously.

We played a great first 30 minutes. I know that's not enough, but there were positive signs out there. Yeah that counts for **** all right now, but a lot of you seem to have completely lost any kind of perspective.

Natesta> we should have breezed through this group? Are you insane? No one, not Mexico, not the US, not us was going to breeze through this group. Costa Rica was the best team in the last hex and they're on the ropes in this group. We're playing three very good teams and suddenly everyone's freaking out because we're struggling.

For all the talent people seem to think we have, we don't have as much talent as Honduras and I'm not sure we have as much as Costa Rica. Ironically, Guatamala, the team with the least talent is playing the best as a team and winning the group.

I think the team is making strides and that's without some of our best players even involved. We looked organized tonight (at least in the first half) for the first time in a year or more and we showed a lot of commitment and spirit which has been lacking for a lot longer than that.

realistically 06 was in deep deep doo after the Guatemala loss. We're still in deep trouble, but when has cheering for Canada ever been any different? We don't get the breaks, we don't get the calls, we don't get the prep time and more often than not we don't get the results. But I'm Canadian. I love soccer. So I support Canada's national team. What else can you do? Sure I bitch and moan too, but let's not loose sight of the fact that we're underdogs in the world of soccer.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Jesus you guys are biased. Onstad played great tonight. Hutchinson gets muscled off a ball in the air by one of the best strikers ever to come out of the region, eight seconds into the half and he one-times a volley off the post and it's Onstad's fault because he was two steps too far towards the near post. Name me a Canadian keeper who would have stopped that shot? Craig Forrest might have. Anyone else I say no way. And of course Watson gets abuse for not getting over there instaneously.

We played a great first 30 minutes. I know that's not enough, but there were positive signs out there. Yeah that counts for **** all right now, but a lot of you seem to have completely lost any kind of perspective.

Natesta> we should have breezed through this group? Are you insane? No one, not Mexico, not the US, not us was going to breeze through this group. Costa Rica was the best team in the last hex and they're on the ropes in this group. We're playing three very good teams and suddenly everyone's freaking out because we're struggling.

For all the talent people seem to think we have, we don't have as much talent as Honduras and I'm not sure we have as much as Costa Rica. Ironically, Guatamala, the team with the least talent is playing the best as a team and winning the group.

cheers,

matthew

Couldn't agree more Mathew. Onstad was world-class tonight. Anyone that says differently obviously did not watch the match, as he made at least half-dozen awesome saves.

Yes, a lot of people have minimal perspective. People who were predicting Canada would win 3 of their last four were in dream-land and in complete denial after the Honduras screw-job. Before the round began, this would have been considered the most difficult match, and Canada was in it up till the last minute.

Any time you achieve 1 point out of a possible 6 points in your home games, you are finished.

Archived