Canada-Costa Rica Official Game Thread

Polish_LYNX_Fan

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man of the Match for Canada - Onstad and DeGuzman.

Onstad played a great game that was decided by 5 seconds of brilliance from a world-class striker like Wanchope.

DeGuzman was the best player on the field (for both teams) during the first half, and despite a few giveaways in the second half, still had many electric runs that had the Central American panicked.

Overall, I thought Canada played a very good game, especially considering that we were in Costa Rica. The difference being that Canada couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their shots, while the Tico's were forcing Onstad into a number of great saves.

Nobody should be surprised by our elimination. After the Honduras match the writing was on the wall. As Yallop said before the match (how prophetic) there's nothing left but to build for the future.

Canada's next World Cup dream isn't till 2010, so we can immedietly drop players like Watson, Pesch, etc and start building for the future. Give a game in goal to Stamatopolous and Sutton, etc

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Man of the Match for Canada - Onstad and DeGuzman.

Onstad played a great game that was decided by 5 seconds of brilliance from a world-class striker like Wanchope.

DeGuzman was the best player on the field (for both teams) during the first half, and despite a few giveaways in the second half, still had many electric runs that had the Central American panicked.

Overall, I thought Canada played a very good game, especially considering that we were in Costa Rica. The difference being that Canada couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their shots, while the Tico's were forcing Onstad into a number of great saves.

Nobody should be surprised by our elimination. After the Honduras match the writing was on the wall. As Yallop said before the match (how prophetic) there's nothing left but to build for the future.

Canada's next World Cup dream isn't till 2010, so we can immedietly drop players like Watson, Pesch, etc and start building for the future. Give a game in goal to Stamatopolous and Sutton, etc

Deguzman man of the match? What game where you watching?[?]

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Ya, way2goeh. I think you've reached your quota for emotionally charged comments for the night. You better just hit the sack before you start sounding like soccerbeast.

Radz had no chance on 80% of the passes. 40 yard long balls with Rad all alone and draped with 4 defenders. Rad is a great striker, but that's not his game. He's no John Catliff.

I wish that we could use the width that we occasionally see within the squad- there were a couple of nice exchanges in the last 10-15 minutes of the game along the right side of the pitch, but then the delivery into the box was brutal !

Can no-one pick out players in the box?!?!? I do admit that there weren't many targets there, but with all the talent out there surely someone can create some sort of scoring op...

that said, i thought Canada had a very solid first half, very organised and quite solid defensively. helluva strike from Wanchope changed everything.

quote:I agree 100%, Jarrek. BTW, any chance of the Voyageurs becoming

more official, with memberships, etc.? This would help in

future projects, web site, etc.

Well, I suggested that some time ago, but unfortunately a lot of people opposed the idea. The problem with our current structure now is that we're not any sort of legal entity. If we establish ourselves as a non-profit organization then we will have the ability to write off some of our costs in running the website, creating merchendise and raising money.

Of course the only downside to that is that there are immediate accounting and legal fees associated with running a non profit organization year to year. And usually on average we're talking $800-$1300.

The good news is that our current expenses are really low. The server costs around $15/month CDN, and we've recently enrolled in the Google AdSense Program which will bring in around $25-$30/month and hence pay for the server.

We're also looking at upgrading because we're running out of space and there are some issues with the current server (ie; Service Unavailable) ...

:)

quote:Originally posted by pablo

Deguzman man of the match? What game where you watching?[?]

DeGuzman was the only player that was being creative and running at players. Yes, he lost a couple, but would you rather he lump the ball 30 yards ahead into no-man's land like the rest of the team ? He was one of the few dangerous players for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by thickair

that said, i thought Canada had a very solid first half, very organised and quite solid defensively. helluva strike from Wanchope changed everything.

Agree, but I have to say Onstad was out of position on that goal, as I watched it in reply about 3 times.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Ya, way2goeh. I think you've reached your quota for emotionally charged comments for the night. You better just hit the sack before you start sounding like soccerbeast.

I agree with that and with hitting the sack as well because it`s almost 1 am over here and I have class tomorrow!!...That SoccerBiatch must be loading his weapons to start firing tomorrow....remember ignore the Biatch...

The boys gave a good accounting of themselves tonight. Nothing at all to be ashamed of. Nobody expected us to go into Costa Rica and win before WCQ began. We put up a good fight and had our chances, especially in the first half. Our legs began to tire in the second half but Simpson and Peters brought us back to life. Both were good subs by Frank.

We wouldn't have needed to win tonight if it hadn't been for the Mexican ref fiasco last Saturday. By rights, the table should be:

Guatemala 7

Honduras 4

Canada 3

Costa Rica 3

If not for the Mexican ref, we'd still be in the thick of this thing.

We needed a miracle win tonight and we didn't get it, but at least the lads fought bravely and honourably in the face of this adversity. We didn't collapse like we did in Port of Spain (away to T&T) in 2002. With a little luck, we could easily have won tonight. We clearly have the talent to get through CONCACAF WCQ and, once things start going our way, we will qualify (I would rather have had a trip to Germany than South Africa, but I guess it wasn't to be).

My biggest regret is for Jason DeVos - that man deserves to play in the World Cup and for him to be denied by the snivelling Mexican ref is a travesty. His goal against Honduras seemed to be scored with sheer willpower.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Agree, but I have to say Onstad was out of position on that goal, as I watched it in reply about 3 times.

Yes, he was maybe a step too far to the left, but he kept us in the game with a number of fantastic saves. Anyway you slice it, it was a world-class strike by a world class striker. Something Canada has never had the luxury of.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

The way I see it, DeRo and Hume are not playing their natural posiition and Radz was not getting any good balls. As well, our back were not affect tonight either.

Just a couple of the contributing factors in tonight's game.

Alright, I watched the game and I have no idea who was playing up front with Rad in the first half ? He was continually stranded by himself and getting balls that he had no hope of reaching.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Well that's good..

So I just wish that we could get Jack Warner to get us a good group like he did for T&T...They are going to go to Hex despite getting destroyed 3-1 at home by Mexico...must be nice,..

Actually....we had an easier group last WC qualifying with Canada, Panama and Mexico. Seeing that 2 teams qualified for the Hex from that group, that pretty much guaranteed us a spot in the Hex that time too.

there was definately not enough off the ball movement, but the lack of other basic skills hurt us badly as well

one problem as i see it is that while a lot of our players play on great teams in great leagues, they play supporting roles- utility players- we need a key playmaker/leader to make the rest of the players shine.

God knows we've got the heart to do great things, but we really need a catalyst to get hings going.

and now to bed [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

DeGuzman, though, made one too many spins and runs at their defenders instead of moving around in space with the ball or pushing it up to where our players had a chance to get to it.

Like I said, he did lose a few. But some of his runs were world-class and had the entire CR team back pedalling and scrambling. Definetly the best game he's played for Canada. Best player on the field in the first half. Seemed to lose a bit of steam in the second half, but not surprising considering how hard he was playing.

Archived