Canada-Costa Rica Official Game Thread

Polish_LYNX_Fan

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

You people haven't even *seen* the match yet, and you're already calling for the coach's head. I'm dissapointed to, but in reality, if at the very least the team gave a good account of themselves and showed progress in San Jose, then we can't peg this as a total failure.

Who cares, with the Talent we have we should have cruised through this round.. being out of WCQ after 3 games is a complete and utter failier. You're not judged on giving a good effort, this team should have won.

Sorry, bad logic... you're far to forgiving.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after following the national team for close to 25 years I don't want to see positive signs but RESULTS. I'm dissapointed by the offense, the defence and Yallop's choices of players. I'm very upset and to get eliminated after only 3 games is not acceptable even if I didn't see yet tonight's game.

With the talent we have? Who on this board was calling for a victory in San Jose before this group started? No one. We knew we had to achieve max. points in the first two games, because regardless of how good we think we are, we all know how difficult it is to win on the road. With that in mind, what do we have? One horrible showing against the Guats, a stolen victory against Honduras, and a question mark against Costa Rica. Should that question mark turn out to be a noble performance in the face of tough odds, then I can't consider the past month a complete failure.

With the talent we have? Who on this board was calling for a victory in San Jose before this group started? No one. We knew we had to achieve max. points in the first two games, because regardless of how good we think we are, we all know how difficult it is to win on the road. With that in mind, what do we have? One horrible showing against the Guats, a stolen victory against Honduras, and a question mark against Costa Rica. Should that question mark turn out to be a noble performance in the face of tough odds, then I can't consider the past month a complete failure.

I don't see how you can find excuses for this campaign, seriously now... we should have won both games at home, we did not give ourselves a chance to do so... sorry, but yes the Honduras game had two terrible calls, but it shouldn't have been that close in the first place. It shouldn't have taken us till the 85th minute to score, not with the "plethera of strikers" that we proclaimed to have.

We should not have been in this position in the first place.

To simply shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, we tried hard in San Jose, this wasn't a total ****-up" is just silly. I know you want to find something positive about this, but sorry there isn't.

Changes need to be made -now- and changes are not made by finding the silver lining.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Who cares, with the Talent we have we should have cruised through this round.. being out of WCQ after 3 games is a complete and utter failier. You're not judged on giving a good effort, this team should have won.

Sorry, bad logic... you're far to forgiving.

Talent with a capital 'T' no less.

You're forgetting that two of our three most talented players were missing for the Guatemala game and the third, Stalteri, played like crap. Not the coach's fault, though he could be faulted for the players he brought in to fill the gap. Can't blame Yallop for the bad referee either. We won that game, in my opinion. As for this one, well, I haven't seen it yet. But again, two of our three best players were missing.

It wasn't three games, anyway. It was five. The Belize games were WCQ games.

I listened the post game conference and Yallop said he has an excellent group of guys that have played their hearts out, that all we need is a little bit of luck because at times Canada seems to be playing against 2 teams with the unfair officiating, he mentioned a PK not called in the first half on a foul on DeRo. He believes if we win the next 3 we might have a chance, but anyhow they`ll keep fighting until they don`t have a mathematical chance to qualify.

quote:So Jarrek how was that game? I know, being a soccer fan in Canada is recipe for all kinds of heart diseases...

Well, during the last 10 minutes my heart must of been beating at least 40% faster ... I started to feel weak.

I'm ok now. :D I feel like hitting or vandalizing something ...

We're talking about Honduras here, not Belize. I don't know who you think we are, but the very fact we were robbed of a win tells me it wasn't a performance to be scoffed at.

Right, we are talking about the Hondurans, a team whom if we had any serious World Cup ambitions should have handled at home without much difficulty.

Wow, the expectations this team had before we started...

I think I need to cool off.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Didn't we just fire the National Swim Coach for not producing results?

Lets get rid of the Top CSA Brass for the same thing, there is no way... NO way we should be out of WCQ after three games, we should be at least in the Hex!

Agreed. Personally I love de Guzman but he had a brutal game... to take out Hutch !?!?!??? Craziness ! Radzinski's the best Canadian player, but he didn't get any service at all.

Sad sad day

Well that's good..

So I just wish that we could get Jack Warner to get us a good group like he did for T&T...They are going to go to Hex despite getting destroyed 3-1 at home by Mexico...must be nice,..

Nevertheless, the same old story continues:

* poor preparation prior to the actual games (i.e. no games prior to Hex in 1997, no preps immediately prior to T&T in 2000, no preps at all before Guatemala in 2004)

* poor calls against T&T and Honduras

and the storyline is familiar...

The unfortunate thing is that Canada is a third world nation in soccer. While our youth teams do fairly well, our senior sides seem to lack experience.

Our last appearance was in 1986 ... 20 years ... not qualified for the World Cup.

I hate to say this but time to make heads roll at the CSA. Some initiative needs to be taken in creating a true professional league in this country.

The USA is a living example of that.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

The unfortunate thing is that Canada is a third world nation in soccer. While our youth teams do fairly well, our senior sides seem to lack experience.

Our last appearance was in 1986 ... 20 years ... not qualified for the World Cup.

I hate to say this but time to make heads roll at the CSA. Some initiative needs to be taken in creating a true professional league in this country.

The USA is a living example of that.

I agree 100%, Jarrek. BTW, any chance of the Voyageurs becoming

more official, with memberships, etc.? This would help in

future projects, web site, etc.

Archived