Yallop announces squads vs Honduras

Jarrek

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, August 27, 2004

YALLOP ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS AGAINST HONDURAS AND COSTA RICA

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 18-player roster for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers against Honduras on September 4 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Alberta (7:00 p.m. MT) and against Costa Rica at Saprissa Stadium in San Jose, CR on September 8 (8:00 p.m. local time).

Yallop has named 13 players from the team which lost 2-0 to Guatemala in the opening game of the semi-final round on August 18. Returning to the squad after missing the Guatemala game due to suspension is midfielder/forward Iain Hume from Tranmere Rovers. Defender Tony Menezes, who has been playing in China with Greentown Hangzhou, has also been selected. Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld, recently signed by Dundee United, also makes a return to the squad.

Both Tomasz Radzinski and Jason deVos, who missed the Guatemala game due to injury, are called in while Julian de Guzman has recovered quickly from his hamstring injury and is available.

“The next two games are obviously crucial ones and I am looking forward to having the players available for a longer period than we did in Vancouver,” said Yallop. “We are very eager to get going again.”

The Canadians will begin arriving in Edmonton on Monday, August 30th. The team will train at Victoria Soccer Club on Tuesday, August 31 at 2:00 p.m., while training is TBA for Wednesday, September 1. On Thursday the team will hold an open practice at Victoria at 10:30 a.m. On Friday, September 3, the team will practice at Commonwealth Stadium at 11:00 a.m. The game is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff and will be carried on Rogers Sportsnet on Saturday, September 4.

The team will travel to Toronto on September 5 and on to San Jose on September 6. Canada faces Costa Rica on September 8 before returning home on September 9.

Canadian Roster For World Cup Qualifiers vs Honduras and Costa Rica

No. Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

1 Pat Onstad GK San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 1/13/68 42 17

22 Lars Hirschfeld GK Dundee United, SPL 10/17/78 16 4

5 Jason deVos D Ipswich Town, English First Division 01/02/74 45 3

7 Paul Stalteri D/M Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga 10/18/77 49 6

3 Ante Jazic D/M FC Kuban, Russian Premier 2/27/76 8 0

8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 25 0

15 Atiba Hutchinson M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 03/08/83 6 0

6 Julian de Guzman M Hannover 96, German Bundesliga 3/25/81 9 0

9 Tomasz Radzinski F Fulham, English Premier 12/14/73 22 7

10 Paul Peschisolido F Derby County, English First Division 5/25/71 52 10

14 Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 22 5

4 Mark Watson D Charleston Battery, A-League 09/08/70 73 3

11 Josh Simpson M Millwall, English First Division 5/15/83 2 0

13 Jaime Peters M Unattached 05/04/87 1 0

17 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian First Division 10/23/81 2 0

12 Adrian Serioux D/M Millwall, English First Division 05/12/79 1 0

16 Iain Hume M Tranmere Rovers, English Second Div. 10/30/83 6 0

2 Tony Menezes D Greentown Hangzhou, Chinese Second 11/24/74 27 0

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my wish:

lars

Stally JDV Tony Jazic

DeGu Serioux Imhoff(or Atiba) Hume

Rat DeRo

I'm surprised about Simpson. He was poor against guatemala.

Maybe Watson will be OK as an emergency sub but I hope he doesn't start (I can't imaging Tony flying across the globe to sit around). Shame about big Kevin. Would be nice to have him up front (or at the back - don't need Watson as cover then). If Bircham was available, I'd have slotted him in instead of Imhoff or Atiba. I don't get what's up with Brennan. Did you guys see something in Kingston (other than Jim scoring goals) that might lead anyone to believe that he's no good?

Jayway needs to be banned for making a negative comment!!!!

Just kidding.

Does Jim maybe just tick off managers? Didn't he do that to Worthington near the end of last year? Maybe Frank just doesn't like him personally.

Peters didn't look THAT good in Vancouver. (he was still ok)

MY starters (not reality im sure)

----------Onstad----------

Stalteri--Menezes--DeVos--Jazic

Hume---DeGuz--Hutch--Imhof (WHERE THE HELL IS BRENNAN!)

----Radz---DeRo---

Subs:

Pesch (sub at half for DeRo, or Hume and move DeRo back)

Occean (upfront somewhere, maybe play 3 strikers)

Serioux (for Hutch)

Peters (for Imhof)

Simpson

Watson (im sure he will play whole game)

Hirschfeld

Great to see Menezes again. If he's in game shape at all let's hope he's sees the field and Watson sits.

Nice to see Lars back.

It was do or die for us regarding Devos.

Pity about McKenna-must be his injury concerns and his place in his club side being considered.

Birch is a bubble player for us at this point.

Still can't believe no Brennan. In terms of potential for immediate impact over the next five games I would still take him over Hutch. Hutch is the future for sure, but the future may well come in five matches time if the young guns can't pull out a miracle. Many would argue the same about Peters, I think.

This side looks much more balanced though, and may be our best yet (the Belize roster was strong too).

Go RED!

McKenna isn't fit yet and since Yallop left Brennan off the team initially since Simpson has been playing regularly and Jim hasn't, it isn't surprising that he hasn't been called. Not that I don't want Jim there of course.

Best news is a two-way tie - 1. that Julian would appear to have recovered (or at least that they expect him to).

2. that there is a possibility of Hirshfeld playing.

Yes, this is much better, and the good news about Radz,DeGuzmann, DeVos and Hume will keep me smiling for a full week. I am glad to see Menezes in the squad but am not really convinced he has the pace to solve our problems in the center. Still, DeVos and Menezes in the middle, flanked by Larry and Jazzy, is a massive improvement from the last game.

This is a much better squad. Let's hope they get some good time together, maybe a game of some sort, before next saturday.

Brennan won't be playing for the Canadian MNT until he sees 1st team football. Yallop has made it quite clear to everyone. We all know Brennan knows this team extremely well and that hes a great player, but I think its clear to see that Yallop only wants his squad members playing 1st team football. Why can't Brennan be picked up by a League Championship team on loan? Maybe Millwall? :)

hmm differences from last match:

no Biello, Gervais, Pizzolitto, Sutton. Replaced with Radz, Hume, Menezes and Lars. Looks good, if radz shows up of course. I could see Serioux starting but I cant say who Yallop would take out of mid, maybe Hutch or Imhof.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

my wish:

lars

Stally JDV Tony Jazic

DeGu Serioux Imhoff(or Atiba) Hume

Rat DeRo

I'm surprised about Simpson. He was poor against guatemala.

Maybe Watson will be OK as an emergency sub but I hope he doesn't start (I can't imaging Tony flying across the globe to sit around). Shame about big Kevin. Would be nice to have him up front (or at the back - don't need Watson as cover then). If Bircham was available, I'd have slotted him in instead of Imhoff or Atiba. I don't get what's up with Brennan. Did you guys see something in Kingston (other than Jim scoring goals) that might lead anyone to believe that he's no good?

With Imhof playing that much needed defensive mid spot, I think he is must call at this point. Hutch would have to be considered the bubble guy, I would think (sitting for either Birch or Brennan in coming rosters depending on the degree of desperation).

I think Menezes may well sit, but I would also speculate that he would be one of the very few guys not to complain if he does. We need this kind of attitude in the program, as it is the only one that will get us through to qualifying in the long run. As the talent pool gets richer (and I think honestly it really is) better and better players will be either sitting on the bench or not even getting the call at all from time to time. Brennan is one of the first examples I can remember, and I am sure he won't be the last. Hopefully he (and those to follow) takes the news the right way and doesn't piss off the coaches and the CSA by saying, "well if I'm not good enough for Canada than Canada can bugger off" (Anelka-ish)approach...

quote:Originally posted by Alex

hmm differences from last match:

no Biello, Gervais, Pizzolitto, Sutton. Replaced with Radz, Hume, Menezes and Lars. Looks good, if radz shows up of course. I could see Serioux starting but I cant say who Yallop would take out of mid, maybe Hutch or Imhof.

Hutch isn't the starter. Maybe you are thinking of DeGuzman?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

McKenna isn't fit yet and since Yallop left Brennan off the team initially since Simpson has been playing regularly and Jim hasn't, it isn't surprising that he hasn't been called. Not that I don't want Jim there of course.

Best news is a two-way tie - 1. that Julian would appear to have recovered (or at least that they expect him to).

2. that there is a possibility of Hirshfeld playing.

If Lars Hirshfeld were to start, that alone will be a deciding factor that opens the possibilities of winning by a big margin. It is good to have a goalkeeper amongst your 11 players, not just somebody standing there as GK.

Onstad

Stalteri Menezes Devos Jazic

Hume Serioux Imhof DeGuzman

Derosario Radzinski

(Subs: Peters for Hume, Occean for DD, Simpson for Imhof- switch positions with DG. Either we are winning after 60 minutes or it is time to bring in a lightning strike of youth. It really would be now or never at this point lads.

If you were to add Nsaliwa & Brennan to make this a 20-man roster, this is close to the best team I think you could pick right now. I would replace Watson with Klukowski of course, and I'm not including injured (or at least not fully fit) like McKenna & Bircham.

Question is - were the Impact players dropped, or simply not released this time given their upcoming playoff series (which I might just take the time to remind everyone that Watson's Charleston club were effectively eliminated from about 3 months ago).

Archived