Aug 18th and Sept 4th??

terry7m

quote:Originally posted by terry7m

both games are at home right??

does anyone know which teams will visit us for the first 2 games??

i was under the impression that it was honduras and guatemala??

anyone have any details yet??

The first game is a home match vs. Guatemala, most likely in Burnaby (Swangard).

The second game is a home match vs. Honduras to be played at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton on Sept. 4th as part of a doubleheader with the women's team.

Who remembers last time we played Guatemala at Swangard, when they knocked us out of World Cup Qualifying in 88 or 89 ?

If I remember correctly, Guatemala had a large following at that game. Hopefully this time will be different.

I like the fact we are starting off with two home games. Guatemala is a must win as our opener and I feel we can get a result against Honduras in front of a large pro-Canadian crowd in Commonwealth.

I remember that game. Guatemala took a 2-0 lead and we came back to win 3-2. We just ran out of time and lost on away goals (we lost 1-0 in the first game). I think we are vastly improved (night and day)from 4 years ago and should be able to reach the Hex from this group. We need at least 2 warm-ups before our 2 opening home games. I wonder if Yallop will bring in Occean to replace Hume for his suspension. We are bringing talent and style that our Concacaf opponents have never seen from us before. There will be no repeat of T & T in the last WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Who remembers last time we played Guatemala at Swangard, when they knocked us out of World Cup Qualifying in 88 or 89 ?

If I remember correctly, Guatemala had a large following at that game. Hopefully this time will be different.

I like the fact we are starting off with two home games. Guatemala is a must win as our opener and I feel we can get a result against Honduras in front of a large pro-Canadian crowd in Commonwealth.

Yes , you are right about that Guatemala match in the 80's. I still remember the Guat fans dancing on the sidelines after the match. Canada was on the wrong end of a major upset, having just been to the 86 World Cup.

I agree that Canada has far more offence than the norm. Canada has always had a couple good strikers, but never the depth that we now possess.

OO was reported to have had a good match vs Wales, and has scored regularly for Odd Grenland, so yes I would love to see him suit-up for Guatemala.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The second game is a home match vs. Honduras to be played at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton on Sept. 4th as part of a doubleheader with the women's team.

that won't be possible! the women's game (as stated at the CSA site) on sept 4th in edmonton is vs. germany in 2005 ... not this year.

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

that won't be possible! the women's game (as stated at the CSA site) on sept 4th in edmonton is vs. germany in 2005 ... not this year.

That has to be a typo. There's now way they would plan a series of friendlies that far in advance.

That has to be a typo. There's now way they would plan a series of friendlies that far in advance.

Hopefully that is something that will be cleared up at the press conference in Edmonton tomorrow. I have written the publicity person for the conference asking to be accredited for the Voyageurs (I hope I no bad) and even if I don't get a reply, I hope that I can attend. If I do, I'll try to get this and other issues cleared up and do a report here later tomorrow.

I can recall seeing Billy Bragg interviewed on Much Music talking about soccer and scoffing at how Canada had been beaten out by 'world soccer power' Guatemala. The VJ (can't recall, but I think it was Steve Anthony) didn't seem all that concerned. But I was choked; that loss still bugs me (and most of the old-timers on this board I'm sure). It was supposed to be a gimmee. None of our games will be gimmees from here on in.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yes , you are right about that Guatemala match in the 80's. I still remember the Guat fans dancing on the sidelines after the match. Canada was on the wrong end of a major upset, having just been to the 86 World Cup.

actually ... the CSA and the German Federation have an agreement that stipulate the number of games ... on all levels (sr. team / u19 etc) ... here's the CSA PR about the agreement from the beginning of the year: http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1590 ... it clearly outlines the two games will be in 2005.

elaine

The decision to play the first match in Vancouver is a disaster. I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have another game in Kingston. Here’s the rationale:

1. Good turnout and pro-Canadian crowd over the last two games

2. Short distance from Europe

2b. Did you notice that the players are flying to and from Canada twice over roughly two weeks? Flying out west both times is a little much, I would say. And this only affects OUR players, not those from Guate or Honduras

3. Key players can bring their families out to the game.

4. NO GUARANTEE of a pro-Canuck crowd in BC

5. Stadium also holds more people.

6. Experience playing twice on this field with TWO very positive results.

Do I need to continue?

You make some valid arguments. My biggest concern is the obvious three hour time difference. However, assuming that the match will be played in the mid or early afternoon, it won't have that much of an impact.

It's my biggest beef with choosing Vancouver as a home ground for Canadian Soccer. With most of the players based out of Europe, it could be tricky for them to get used to the time difference in short spans such as these first two games versus Guatemala and Honduras.

Personally I would have held the game In St. John's Newfoundland. Time difference is VERY minimal, 100% Pro Canadian Crowd, intimate venue and memories of World Cup Qualifing of 86.

There will be tons of Guatemalans there, I assure you, and they won't be sitting quietly and politely gazing away like most Canadian fans either. Us Voyageurs have to step up, fight back, and enlist the help of the crowd. Imagine the horror of playing what amount to two away games against Guatemala. So when can we buy tickets??

I was a proponent of Kingston, but I'm not upset that Vancouver was awarded a match. I've been to World Cup Qualifying matches at Swangard in the past, and the Van fans have always come through. I think it's great that the CSA is trying to spread the matches around, and I would rather have Costa Rica and Honduras in Edmonton.

Absolutely Canadian fans have to step-up. Hopefully the Southsiders will trade in their Caps blue & white (isn't that Guat colours ?). We have to win this match and we need a hostile, pro-Canadian crowd.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

But I was choked; that loss still bugs me (and most of the old-timers on this board I'm sure). It was supposed to be a gimmee. None of our games will be gimmees from here on in.

Blair

Yes, I (sob) remember ...

Damn Guatemala. Same ol' Guatemalans, always cheating...

[}:)]

This would be the opportunity for payback for Pesch...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

No, that was El Salvador that Pesch got sent off against.

This is going to be payback for 1988.

Gautemala scored the opening goal in that game when a clearing pass rebounded off one of their player's feet like a shot and caught our keeper off guard (if I remember correctly). It was a sign that it wouldn't be our day.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

yes please do :) maybe they will change the venue

It ain't me that is going to convince CSA - it's gotta be Radz telling Frank to please help him out and bring the game closer.

Somehow, we've gotta get Canadian butts in those seats. I suggest we start galvanizing the Vancouver Vogaguers and Whitecap fan clubs to get to work on this.

In other news, one of the papers here in Guatemala featured a full-page article about the Canadian team, with quotes from Frank and a large photo of Pesch, annoucing the first Guate game in Vancouver. I'll read it more closely tonight for any tidbits of good info and/or inaccurate facts.

quote:Originally posted by Ruud

The decision to play the first match in Vancouver is a disaster. I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have another game in Kingston. Here’s the rationale:

1. Good turnout and pro-Canadian crowd over the last two games

2. Short distance from Europe

2b. Did you notice that the players are flying to and from Canada twice over roughly two weeks? Flying out west both times is a little much, I would say. And this only affects OUR players, not those from Guate or Honduras

3. Key players can bring their families out to the game.

4. NO GUARANTEE of a pro-Canuck crowd in BC

5. Stadium also holds more people.

6. Experience playing twice on this field with TWO very positive results.

Do I need to continue?

You could continue and I'd probably disagree with most of your points.

First and most importantly is that you completely ignore the opponent in Kingston when discussing it as a venue. Sure it was a pro-Canadian crowd. Belize is tiny with no history of away support. They still had a good group out for the Sunday game. Had they not completely sucked, we might have actually heard them. Are you implying it wouldn't have been a pro-Canada crowd had we played Belize in Vancouver?

Guatemalan fans will travel no matter where the game is. They showed up en masse at RFK for their 2000 WCQ against the US. There's a lot of Guatemalans in the northeast US that would certainly head to Kingston just as easily as the Guatemalan fans in California will go up to Vancouver. It doesn't matter where we play it, they're going to try to come.

You said it was a good turnout. I agree. It was good, but not great. People have criticized them for not selling out and some Vancouverites guaranteed a sellout for the Guatemala game. I'll guarantee you it will sell out in Kingston or Vancouver, the question is how many of those fans will be Canadian? There's no guarantee of a pro-Canada crowd anywhere for this one.

It is closer to Europe. No arguing that. However with a week (at least I hope) to prepare, I don't think it's a huge factor and I think it's important to spread the national team games around and Vancouver is long overdue for a match.

As for families, we have players from BC. Besides, planning our qualifying sked around where our players are from is ridiculous. If the families want to come, they'll be there. I've seen Pesch's family in Edmonton. I spoke to Paul Stalteri's wife about being in Edmonton in 1999 when I don't think they were even married yet.

Kingston also holds more people, but there is a possibility of expanded seating behind the goals at Swangard. We'll have to see.

Finally the positive vibes from playing at Richardson . . . it was Belize. It's not like some mystical ground where we drew Brazil or qualified for the World Cup or anything, we beat a team we were supposed to beat. Swangard has seen some pretty good Canada performances too. Sure we are undefeated on Richardson soil, but we beat Belize twice. Frankly we weren't exactly phenomenal in either game. We did the job and had some great moments, but it's not like it's hallowed ground. In fact the ground is a little patchy in some places . . .

I had a great time in Kingston and I'd love to go back some time, but Vancouver deserves a game and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get this one. It's the smallest of the three home SF qualifiers and so I think it's suitable that one of our medium sized venues gets it. Kingston already got two games.

cheers,

matthew

Let's face it, it's time they played in Vancouver. 1997 is a long time. That being said I hope they switch up the venues so that the game gets exposure coast to coast. Kingston and the Voyageurs that travelled to the games did a great job, hopefully Vancouver and Edmonton can show the same support.

Archived