WCQ - CONCACAF 2nd Round (R)

Guest Ed

2006 WCQ - CONCACAF - Second Round</u>

[WCQ - CONCACAF First Round]

Surinam 1:1 Guatemala (Surinam took the lead, tied by Guatemala).

Cuba 0:0 Costa Rica

No live updates anywhere that I can find, just someone posting on bigsoccer.com.

Looks like FIFA dropped the ball on their live score service, unless you are interested in those from the Iberian peninsula.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surinam - Guatemala video here: mms://206.61.40.113

Costa Rica up 1-0 early.

Maybe the industrial giant Surinam can help finance a similar field here in Canada.

Guest Jeffery S.

Geez, maybe we'll get to play in the stadium Seedorf helped finance in Surinam. The best thing that can happen to us is for the group of death to suffer some premature visits to the cemetery. Put Surinam in our group and I'll be a lot more confident about reaching the HEX.

Also Surinam drew at home 1-1 vs Costa Rica. Two draws then for our potential semi-final group with Netherlands Antilles hosting Honduras later today.

I don't find these results terribly surprising. The fields in Cuba and Netherlands Antilles were probably also poor (well, we know what Cuba was like in 2000), and we already know that the Central American countries are much better at home. In any case, all the favourites are still leading their series, even if only on away goals. I expected some of these results in the first leg, but I wouldn't predict any overall upsets.

I don't find these results terribly surprising. The fields in Cuba and Netherlands Antilles were probably also poor (well, we know what Cuba was like in 2000), and we already know that the Central American countries are much better at home. In any case, all the favourites are still leading their series, even if only on away goals. I expected some of these results in the first leg, but I wouldn't predict any overall upsets.

I was watching parts of this game todat (most of first half)...I thought the game was in Costa Rica because the stadium was packed with Tico fans from what I could see..throughout the first half, Cuba was dominant and Ticos were lucky to come up 2-1 at the half...

I was wondering if this was another case of both legs being played away from home? or was this game really in Havana?

take care

Reza, the first leg was indeed in Havana.

Here is a summary of all first leg matches played Saturday, June 12...

From AP through SI/CNN:

MIAMI (AP) -- Jean-Phillipe Peguero's penalty kick four minutes into the second half helped Haiti salvage a 1-1 tie against Jamaica in a CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match Saturday night.

In other World Cup qualifiers Saturday, Honduras beat the Netherlands Antilles 2-1, Cuba drew with Costa Rica 2-2, and Suriname and Guatemala played to a 1-1 draw.

Haiti used Miami as home venue for the home-and-home leg of the qualifying series, playing before about 30,000 fans in the Orange Bowl.

The second game will be played June 20 in Jamaica. The winner of the aggregate goals set will advance to the next round of qualifiers in August.

After missing a penalty kick in the opening minute of the match, Haiti converted on its second opportunity. Peguero was fouled from behind by Jamaican defender Claude Davis as he ran deep toward the goal area, and he made the penalty kick.

Although both teams desperately attacked in search for the tiebreaker, the best opportunity to break the deadlock occurred in the 88th minute when reserve Damani Ralph was beaten to a loose ball by Haiti goalkeeper Gabard Fenelton just outside the 6-yard box

Marlon King's goal at the 38th minute put Jamaica ahead 1-0. King received a crossing header from Damian Stewart and easily beat Fenelton from eight yards.

Before King's conversion, Jamaica controlled play and nearly went ahead on King's 25-yard shot which was met by a diving deflection from Fenelton at the 34th minute.

Davis' header inside the 6-yard box off went over the crossbar at the 27th minute.

Haiti's opportunity to put Jamaica at a deficit in the opening minute was doomed by an errant penalty kick.

Peguero raced toward a loose ball off the opening kick, which reached Jamaica's goal area. Donovan Ricketts came out of the net to retrieve the ball and slid under a diving Peguero. Referee Kevin Stock called a foul on Ricketts, resulting in a penalty kick.

But Wadson Corriolan missed badly on his attempt as the shot sailed high above the crossbar.

Haiti's only other scoring opportunity of the first came at the 30th minute, when Alexander Bouciaut's free kick from the left wing just missed the right post.

In Willemstad, Curacao, Honduras beat the Netherlands Antilles 2-1 at Curacao's Ergilio Hato Stadium.

In the eighth minute, David Suazo scored the first goal for Honduras after a free-kick taken by Julio Leon.

At the 23rd minute, Suazo scored the second goal for Honduras.

The lone score for the Netherlands Antilles came in the second half, at the 30th minute, when Brutil Hose received a pass from Kenneth Cecilia and scored.

The referee annulled an Antillean goal for offside in the 44th minute, upon which the Antillean coach, Dutchman Pim Verbeek said it was "a great injustice -- but that's the way football is."

Honduran coach Bora Milutinovic was relieved with the victory. "It was a very pretty game, very fast," he said.

In Havana, Lester More twice scored tying goals to allow Cuba to draw Costa Rica 2-2.

Douglas Sequeira of Costa Rica scored the first goal in the 13th minute, and More tied the game from a penalty in the 22nd.

Costa Rica moved ahead again thanks to Alvaro Saborio's 43rd-minute goal, but More drew Cuba even with the only goal of the second half, in the 76th.

Cuba travels to Costa Rica for the return leg on June 20 in CONCACAF qualifying.

In Paramaribo, Suriname and Guatemala played to a 1-1 draw.

Suriname took the lead in the 16th minute through striker Dennis Purperhart, who met a low, left cross from midfielder Dwight Panka.

Guatemala captain Dwight Pesarosi of England's Bolton Wanderers equalized in the 35th when he struck a well-timed shot from the right corner to beat Suriname goalkeeper Harold Blokland.

Suriname came close to breaking the deadlock when striker Gino Brandon hit the post in the 76th.

The return leg will be in Guatemala on June 20.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The N.A. have a very strong lineup with a good number of Dutch-base players.

Guest Jeffery S.

Geez are we getting some close results. Gives you the sense that the region's minnows are getting better coaching and experience. Even though it could mean it will be tougher for all in the long run, I am proud that we have less and less weak nations in Concacaf.

Archived