WCQ - CONCACAF 2nd Round (R)

Guest Ed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

If you look at the results, Canada's 4-0 win was pretty much most impressive.

Just another indication that we can't take any of the countires in CONCACAF forgranted. Countries like Panama, Cuba and Haiti are all capable of beating any country in CONCACAF on any given day. Why we don't play more exhibition matches against all of these countries is beyond me.

Let's hope for upset city in the second-leg. ES only has a one goal lead going into Bermuda. Jamaica, Costa Rica and Guatemala are only one goal from being knocked out. Unfortunetly all three play the second leg at home.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

That's a fairly big upset isn't it? Barbados made it to the semi-final group stage in 2002 qualifying (and beat Costa Rica).

Yes it is? I noticed that one as well. Also, Barbados might have done better in 2000 ( in the semi final round) had they not run out of Money. If I am not mistaken the US had to pay their travel expenses to their game at RFK

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Just another indication that we can't take any of the countires in CONCACAF forgranted. Countries like Panama, Cuba and Haiti are all capable of beating any country in CONCACAF on any given day. Why we don't play more exhibition matches against all of these countries is beyond me.

Let's hope for upset city in the second-leg. ES only has a one goal lead going into Bermuda. Jamaica, Costa Rica and Guatemala are only one goal from being knocked out. Unfortunetly all three play the second leg at home.

I actually don't think we want to see Guatemala get knocked out by Surinam. In terms of rivalry's with other central american countries, Guatemala have a better chance to knocking off points from Honduras and Costa Rica (the two teams we should be really worried about) than Surinam. One minnow in the group favors everyone, but a decent side like Guatemala could really help Canada make the Hex.

Seeing Costa Rica and Jamaica lose would be great, especially CR in the short term, and Jamaica for the Hex round. Both these teams have much more depth than their opponents, and CR are playing without Wanchope right now.

quote:Originally posted by Ruud

[

I actually don't think we want to see Guatemala get knocked out by Surinam. In terms of rivalry's with other central american countries, Guatemala have a better chance to knocking off points from Honduras and Costa Rica (the two teams we should be really worried about) than Surinam. One minnow in the group favors everyone, but a decent side like Guatemala could really help Canada make the Hex.

Seeing Costa Rica and Jamaica lose would be great, especially CR in the short term, and Jamaica for the Hex round. Both these teams have much more depth than their opponents, and CR are playing without Wanchope right now.

But the problem with that argument is that if Guatemala can easily take points from their central american rivals, then you may also say that they could take points from canada. Wouldn't it be nice for canada to play their opening game against a decided underdog (if Surinam is the underdog) to get their feet wet in WCQ. You could end up winning without even playing your strongest game. Plus players improve as they become familiar with each over several games and it would be nice theoretically to have an easy one to start off? Plus the tougher the opponent we have, the greater the risk that we have to play our full squad as much as possible and hence the greater risk of cards and suspensions. Don't forget that our depth along with pace in central defense are our biggest achilles heels.

Why wouldn't you want to enter a competition where you are one of three teams vying for two spots instaed of being one of four teams vying for two spots? you would only need to get the better of one of those three teams in order to advance. I like 67% better tha 50%. We would start and end the semi final round against the winner of Surinam/Guatemala. If Surinam were the weaker side and surprise Guatemala, wouldn't it put us in a terific position to advance to the hex?

Again, this is all assumng that Surinam is the much weaker side. For all we know they may be a hidden force. I've heard that argument before about getting Gutemala would be better. But I differ.

St. Kitts has scored in the 16' through Gomez. Surely it must be enough to see them through. They could offer some challenges to the favorites in their SF group.

Poor Dominica. Where are you getting updates Jarrek?

FIFA's back on track for Mexico. 4-0 now Borguetti's second and Marquez had the third. Still first half.

cheers,

matthew

St. Kitts win 3-2 to advance comfortably and Mexico goes home with a 10-0 lead on poor Dominica.

Honduras might as well book their flight to Edmonton for Labour Day weekend. It's 2-0 after 20 minutes through David Suazo and Amado Guevara. Netherlands Antilles now needs four goals to win. I can't see it.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Incredible... The fifa tracker reads Dom-Mex 0-5 in the 16th min !!!!

thats not a typo

Not a typo on your part, but evidently FIFA made one. The only goals that Mexico scored before the 16th minute were in the 9th and 11th.

CRC-CUB: 1-1...... Aggregate CRC-CUB: 3-3

Half time

Goal:

R Gomez-CRC (30')

A Cervantes-CUB (45')

Yellow cards:

W Centeno-CRC (23')

R Gomez-CRC (31')

O Molina-CUB (24')

Lineup

CRC-----------------CUB

R Gonzalez--------- O Molina